PDA

View Full Version : How to sell privately?

michael
22nd March 2010, 17:40
So its sadly time for me to flick off the gixxer to a owner who will hopefully ride her more. However before I chuck it on trade me I'd like to know what the options are with test riding. How do I stop it getting stolen or dropped? I've done a bit of research and from what I can see all I can do is ask for their licence and hold on to it.

PS: If anyone's interested its a K5 anniversary 600, with 20k km on it. http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/suzuki/sport/2005/gsx-r/600-20th-anniversary.html
Once I've chucked it on trademe I'll attach a link with all the details, but its stock standard except for that ugly number plate spade being removed, oh ye and I'm not sure what I want yet so make an offer I guess

JimO
22nd March 2010, 17:53
dont put the pic of the graffity on tM it cashes with the blue bike

michael
22nd March 2010, 17:56
dont put the pic of the graffity on tM it cashes with the blue bike
point taken...

AllanB
22nd March 2010, 18:15
If you list it on Trademe as a auction you do not need to let anyone look at it or ride it if you desire.

You can recommend viewing if you like or state viewing on a specific day only (same weekend the auction ends is good) but state with proof of ID and record their license number or similar.

Don't need to let them ride - start it up so they can hear the mechanicals. Show any receipts for servicing etc (if you do your own keep oil/filter receipts) etc. They will get a good idea of the bike from it's gereral condition.

CookMySock
22nd March 2010, 18:22
Don't let anyone ride it without cash in your hand. If they moan, walk away.

Take the bike to their place to show it to them, or meet them at their workplace.

Steve

varminter
22nd March 2010, 18:33
Take their wife/girlfriend as hostage and chain them down.

michael
22nd March 2010, 18:43

I like the sound of this...

AllanB
22nd March 2010, 18:45

Naked of course.

breakaway
22nd March 2010, 18:45
1. Don't let anyone ride it without full cash in hand.
2. If you're really paranoid, give the guy the address of the house 2 houses up from yours and wait on the street with the bike.

YellowDog
22nd March 2010, 19:01
You usually know if the supposed buyer is genuine or not.

If they want a gixxer and yours fits the bill, tell them you'll give them the money back if they find anything wrong on the test ride.

gsxr&crf450
22nd March 2010, 19:17
Get them to agree that they will pay the asking price, then get the cash in the hand before a ride, and if there is a problem with the bike, then they get their money back from you.
When they arive for viewing, ask to see their drivers licence. I just sold my GSXR 750 2008 and I had 5 offers at $3000 less than I eventual sold itfor. There are some time waisting idiots out there.

Metastable
23rd March 2010, 02:03
What Steve said pretty much summed it up.

1 - Meet up at a public place preferably with some banks nearby, otherwise they can see where you bike lives.
2 - Show them the bike.
3 - I'll offer a 2 up ride, but you don't have to.
4 - If they are SERIOUS, settle on a price. Have them give you cash, or walk with them into the bank and have them take out a draft in front of you so that you know it isn't phony. Then allow them the test ride and if they don't like it, give them the draft back.

BTW - very nice ride!

Metastable
23rd March 2010, 02:04

1 - Meet up at a public place preferably with some banks nearby, otherwise they can see where you bike lives.
2 - Show them the bike.
4 - If they are SERIOUS, settle on a price. Have them give you cash, or walk with them into the bank and have them take out a draft in front of you so that you know it isn't phony. Then allow them the test ride and if they don't like it, give them the draft back.

BTW - very nice ride!

Metastable
23rd March 2010, 02:07

2 - Show them the bike.

Don’t go for the, “you can hang on to my car keys” etc. Car could be stolen or there could be someone inside the car and once the bike has started moving, they jump into the driver’s seat and take off too.

BTW - very nice ride!

Metastable
23rd March 2010, 02:07

2 - Show them the bike.

Don’t go for the, “you can hang on to my car keys” etc. Car could be stolen or there could be someone inside the car and once the bike has started moving, they jump into the driver’s seat and take off too.

BTW - very nice ride!

crazyhorse
23rd March 2010, 06:05
Whats there not to love about it???? Its a great bike.... but I would say that :innocent:

tigertim20
23rd March 2010, 11:15
i see varying degrees of paranoia!!
for a start, I only let people test ride if they at least turn up with their own gear. often, they turn up on a bike anyway, and often with a friend, so one of them knows what they are looking at. I exchange keys, and make a cuppa and chat to their mate while theyre gone. licence check is good too.
having said that, you get a feel for whether or not you trust them, i mean if three 17 year olds turn up, with none of their own gear, in a crappy barely legal skyline with their pants around their ankles, you aint letting them test it, are ya!

CookMySock
23rd March 2010, 11:24
What Steve said pretty much summed it up.Aye, I reckon. Definitely worth posting that line four times. Nice. :niceone:

:killingme

Steve

michael
23rd March 2010, 19:01
Aye, I reckon. Definitely worth posting that line four times. Nice. :niceone:

:killingme

Steve

All this talk about how great a bike it is is seriously making me contemplate whether Im making a mistake selling my pride n joy.....Dam!!!!!