PDA

View Full Version : More cheese cutters for Kapati Coast area

Guided_monkey
23rd March 2010, 06:49
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3490755/Kapiti-road-to-get-wire-rope-barrier

Mr Lane still having a lot to say about the roading.....:angry:

Spratt
23rd March 2010, 08:21
I've just read this article as well, they make sound so great to get these barriers in, but once again no thought for any other road users apart from the steel cagers!! :angry:

Is there anything we can do to try and stop it or at least get the Council to also install the covers that are supposed to make them safe for motorcyclists? The Cheesecutter campaign website seems pretty out of date at the moment, is that group still active?

sinfull
23rd March 2010, 08:27
Well wont that slow me down through there !

Bald Eagle
23rd March 2010, 08:31
I think the cheesecutter campaign is dead in the water. Interesting we got thousands to ride against ACC levy increases but theres no 'back pocket effect' in the cheese cutters, or am I being to cynical here.

Spratt
23rd March 2010, 08:55
For what its worth I've sent a letter to the Dom Post, mind you they never published any of my ACC ravings!! Here it is ...

Dr Chris Lane and Otaki MP Nathan Guy may well be pleased that further wire rope median barriers are to be installed along the Kapiti Coast road, but they are only considering a portion of road users – those with four wheels. These barriers, commonly referred to as "cheese cutters", are a proven death trap for motorcyclists and have either had special covers fitted, or been removed and banned, in many countries for this reason. Once again local and central government is ignoring the fact that motorcyclists have rights as legitimate road users, in this case to roads and associated structures that promote rider safety; this is what NZTA should be promoting. I guess Dr Lane will be happy that any motorcycle accident in this area will not result in a major trauma, but more likely a death that he will not have to deal with!

sinfull
23rd March 2010, 09:04
I think the cheesecutter campaign is dead in the water. Interesting we got thousands to ride against ACC levy increases but theres no 'back pocket effect' in the cheese cutters, or am I being to cynical here.
Do ya like the new cheese cutter they've put up along peka peka BE ? I particuly like how the southbound passing lane has no burm to park on if a car breaks down, i mean whats that wire rope there for ? To stop head ons with trains ?

spajohn
23rd March 2010, 09:20
I think we should definitely be pushing the point of installing covers over the wire...it's not likely to get them to stop them installing them, and nor should we if there are valid reasons from fatalities, but surely the covers would add a relatively small % to the total cost of the project. I know I'd rather have my registration fee's go there than bloody ACC!

Bren
23rd March 2010, 10:46
email sent to Nathan Guy representing my disapproval...not that it will nean jack shit anyway to the national lap dog!

scumdog
23rd March 2010, 11:19
So.... being both cynical AND pragmatic here, what is the body count re motorcyclists vs cheese-cutters??

duckonin
23rd March 2010, 11:28
A vehicle coming toward you on the wrong side of the road is more of a threat than a cheese cutter, think of them like, this when you see them, it is the govts way of saying 'take care you motorcyclists'...
Wire rope barriers have been around for many years through out the world..

MSTRS
23rd March 2010, 11:46
Do ya like the new cheese cutter they've put up along peka peka BE ? I particuly like how the southbound passing lane has no burm to park on if a car breaks down, i mean whats that wire rope there for ? To stop head ons with trains ?

Didn't you hear...it was to protect the Lesser Crested Ditch Frog that lives just there. Very rare and endangered creature.

allycatz
23rd March 2010, 12:17
Given that particular stretch of road and bend has already had several deaths and accidents in the past, I find it kinda strange what they have done now. Time will tell I guess

sinfull
23rd March 2010, 13:06
Didn't you hear...it was to protect the Lesser Crested Ditch Frog that lives just there. Very rare and endangered creature.
No ditch along there no more, they filled it in ! Just a wire rope, then a gap of 5 to 8 metres (at a guess) on a slight rise to the rail tracks !
Beats me why they'd spend thousands on roping that stretch off !

Bald Eagle
23rd March 2010, 13:09

I'm so lucky that any ride over about 5km from home in any direction is going down some or alongside a set of cheesecutters. My eternal gratitude for the caring people responsible. ( wheres the tongue in cheek smiliie ? )

avgas
23rd March 2010, 13:47
I do enjoy a good cut of Kapiti Cheese.

MSTRS
23rd March 2010, 14:00
No ditch along there no more, they filled it in ! Just a wire rope, then a gap of 5 to 8 metres (at a guess) on a slight rise to the rail tracks !
Beats me why they'd spend thousands on roping that stretch off !

Ooooh, I do hope they relocated that frog...

The stupid thing about that stretch of CC was the reasoning (sic!!) behind placing it there. Using that same reasoning, it should be on thousands of k's of road all over the country. "We can't have cars going into a ditch"...

Ender EnZed
23rd March 2010, 14:55

No.

10char