PDA

View Full Version : The Aftermath

swanman
15th May 2005, 18:10
OK so yesterday I had a wee accident. To cut a short story shorter. I went round a corner that took me unawares as it tightened up on me. Knee was down hard and I ran out of road. I ran into gravel and bike and I cart wheeled off. Result I was fine but the bike is a bit fucked.

Now the reason I am posting this thread is not about the accident, but about what happens after the accident.
Here is the situation in brief: I have a full license, I have full cover with full no claims bonus, I have a bike that was fully road legal. No one else was involved in my accident just me and the road. So really there should be no complications as everything is totaly in order!
So what I propose to do is report on the insurance company, assesors etc so everyone can see what happens after an accident, any pitfalls I come accross any lessons that can be learned. Hopefully everything will be absolutely straightforward, but life has taught me that this is rarely the case.

So far I called AMI my insurers to report the incident. The woman told me I was very lucky (true), and that I would lose my no claims bonus (fair enough). She would pass the details onto my local branch in Takapuna for follow up on Monday. The bike is currently at Death's place, where it got trailered after the accident. Here for peoples viewing are a coupla photos of the bike. I reckon she'll be written off but what do you think?
I bought the bike new in October 04, she'd done about 15k, was in mint condition and it cost $22k.

Sensei
15th May 2005, 18:30
Bad luck & great to see you are OK Swanman . So I take it you were going abit quick for the road & didn't know it well enough ? By the looks of ya bike she'll be writen off .

Joni
15th May 2005, 18:32
Oh dear... Im sorry to hear this. Glad you walked away ok tho... :niceone:

saul
15th May 2005, 19:00
I Sman.

Good to see you got out of the way :niceone:

That bike is history :nono:

Matt Bleck
15th May 2005, 19:02
Bugga! glad to see your in good nick!

Hitcher
15th May 2005, 19:34
Good to know that you're none the worse for wear. And soundly philosophical about the whole thing.

MadDuck
15th May 2005, 19:46
Damn Swanman!!!!

That used to be one sexy R1 but I think it is one now defunct R1.

Glad to see you all in one peice though mate. And I will follow with interest what the Insurance company response is.

justsomeguy
15th May 2005, 20:17
FYI. Pic one is Swanny standing with the piece of his dash that had got logged up his :whistle: .

SPORK
15th May 2005, 20:22
FYI. Pic one is Swanny standing with the piece of his dash that had got logged up his :whistle: .
Lodged up his whistle? That's got to be painful for the whistle. I suggest a horn next time?

StoneChucker
15th May 2005, 20:24
Sorry to hear about this Frazer! Hope it gets written off I guess, so you get a new one (or a new whatever you want...) - IF thats what you want of course.

Good you're still in one piece, and DON'T have a tacho lodged up your arse!

SPORK
15th May 2005, 20:25
Lodged up his whistle? That's got to be painful for the whistle. I suggest a horn next time?
Oh yeah, I forgot to say something.

Don't enjoy this in the slightest. As far as many people have been saying, if you crash, you should have your balls ripped off and shoved down your throat while a midget squirms up your " :whistle: ".

So act morose and you may trick them. :niceone:

But seriously, glad to hear you're ok man. Pity about the bike though! What's next on your shopping list?

Storm
15th May 2005, 20:42
Glad to see you are okay, and have a nice calm way of looking at it all mate. Keen to see how the insurance thing goes

bugjuice
15th May 2005, 20:50
sad to see it. Many fond memories with you and that bike..
so what's the plan now?
Hope the insurance claim goes straight forward and trouble free..

Actually, on looking at the pics, if the frame is still straight around the head, then the most is just a new front end and a set of farings.. Pics never show the whole story, but new farings and forks shouldn't be a reason to write a bike off.. probably wrong..

justsomeguy
15th May 2005, 20:51
Before coming to Aotearoa Swanny used to be one of the UK Army's finest.

Don't think a piddly crash like this will bother him.:Punk:

sels1
15th May 2005, 21:05
Geez bad luck Swanman but good to see you're ok. Any comments on your safety gear? (ie leather vs textile?). Will follow your insurance claim with interest as I am with AMI as well. I have had one claim with them when my son borrowed the car and rear-ended an off duty cop. They had the assessor around the next day and I had a cheque a few days later. :niceone:

swanman
15th May 2005, 21:06
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Well I am genuinely philisophical about the whole thing. I'm fine, and the bike was a machine which got broken.

So the next bike mmmm believe it or not I think something a lot smaller, economical maybe a CB400. Might be a different story when I get the money in my hands though!

StoneChucker
15th May 2005, 21:07
my son borrowed the car and rear-ended an off duty cop.
Enough with the cop bashing already!!! :msn-wink:
:killingme

swanman
15th May 2005, 21:16
Geez bad luck Swanman but good to see you're ok. Any comments on your safety gear? (ie leather vs textile?). :niceone:

Yes I have as a matter of fact. I actually had quite a tumble on my off. Head over heels 2 or 3 times. I remember clearly getting thrown onto my head too. My helmet an HJC took a beating but stayed on my head and did exactly what it should do, but I'll have to buy a new one. My right knee took a big hit but was protecte by the knee slider and the knee armour in my leathers. My right shoulder took a hit too but leather protected that too. I wear two pce leathers with knee, shoulder, elbow and back protectors. The jacket and the trousers are both still very serviceable after a clean and polish. Leather gloves (bargain basement too) did their job so basically I am very happy indeed with the performance of my equipment. Leather for me is definitely best.

Zed
15th May 2005, 21:38
OK so yesterday I had a wee accident. To cut a short story shorter. I went round a corner that took me unawares as it tightened up on me. Knee was down hard and I ran out of road. I ran into gravel and bike and I cart wheeled off. Result I was fine but the bike is a bit fucked.Well I was right behind you with the best possible view when this happened swanman, and I must say that it was a real blessing that (a) you and the bike were separated during the crash (b) you landed head over heels in long grass just centimeters away from a fence! (c) you stood up and walked away without any major injuries!

Again I'm real sorry that your ride ended that way but so glad that you're okay. Hope the insurance process is quick and easy - it should be a write-off.

Rest up! :sleep:

Zed

Sensei
15th May 2005, 21:39
How about putting up some pics of ya gear so as we can see how good it held up & to show why we wear it :niceone:

sAsLEX
15th May 2005, 22:00
How about putting up some pics of ya gear so as we can see how good it held up & to show why we wear it :niceone:

His right knee slider took a hammering!! Will wake up those that ride in jeans!

StoneChucker
15th May 2005, 22:02
His right knee slider took a hammering!! Will wake up those that ride in jeans!
I know... I know! Soon :niceone:

Lou Girardin
16th May 2005, 09:00
Was that on SH 16, just north of the 35km/h corner?

DEATH_INC.
16th May 2005, 09:06
Na 22 on a nasty tightining radius corner,about 1/2 way down.
Don't forget to claim all yer scratched up gear on yer house and contents too.... :niceone:

ManDownUnder
16th May 2005, 09:52
In case they try anything re the bike's condition etc - recal I was with you on the ride to Wellsford and I drolled over it for a bit. I'll certainly confirm it was in good nick prior to the accident (albeit 2 weeks prior).

Good to see you still have both arms legs etc too...

MDU

swanman
16th May 2005, 15:07
Next stage. Went to AMI office in Takapuna. Filled in the claim form. Handed it in, assessor organised to pick up the bike this afternoon. So that all seems pretty cool. AMI also suggested that if I thought it was going to be a write off that I send in the keys and ownership papers. So I'll do that. Suprised to have it pointed out to me that my excess is $900, apparently normal for high cc bikes.

I'm off to the UK tomorrow for a spell. So I'll see how it goes and post stuff as I find out.

MSTRS
16th May 2005, 15:30
Sounds like you were lucky not to be hurt or worse. Insurance is a form of 'protection' too (for those that view it as a cost). Fingers crossed that all is sweet with your claim.

ManDownUnder
16th May 2005, 16:09
Next stage. Went to AMI office in Takapuna. Filled in the claim form. Handed it in, assessor organised to pick up the bike this afternoon. So that all seems pretty cool. AMI also suggested that if I thought it was going to be a write off that I send in the keys and ownership papers. So I'll do that. Suprised to have it pointed out to me that my excess is $900, apparently normal for high cc bikes.

I'm off to the UK tomorrow for a spell. So I'll see how it goes and post stuff as I find out.

Good luck chap.

I understand excess is often $1/cc...

MDU

ManDownUnder
16th May 2005, 16:14
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Well I am genuinely philisophical about the whole thing. I'm fine, and the bike was a machine which got broken.

Good attitude dude... but I'd like to point out it was a very noice machine what broke ...

MDU

enigma51
16th May 2005, 16:21
They will write it off but good to hear you are fine.

crazylittleshit
16th May 2005, 16:23
First of all good to hear your ok.
2 WHAT THE F##K you trashed an amazing bike Im crying on the inside.
3 The insurance company will probably try and tell you the bike was only 70% of what it was remeber you don't need to agree you can argue the point if need be. :slap:

ManDownUnder
16th May 2005, 16:25
Oh yeah... claim the helmet too...

Also - something of interest... if they take the wreck and sell it - you are ENTITLED to the first $900 of that sale as you were not fully indemnified at the time of the crash (i.e. you had to pay something - you were not fully covered).

Don't ask me how or why, but I understand that's the law...

Hopefully that saves you $900...!

festus
16th May 2005, 16:35
Lucky you walked away dude, can always replace the bike. I had a hassle free insurance claim (Swann), I'd say you'll have the same. Cannot tell if there is frame or front fork & rear swing arm damage, but a mate of mine had an off on this R1, pretty much buggered, but his insurance company did not write it off, they repaired it!......although unlikely in your case, you never know........

Holy Roller
16th May 2005, 16:42

Great to hear you are OK
Excess with state is $1500 over 500cc and $1000 under, I had mine reduced to $1250 when I reinsured with a much larger cc rating due to my no claims bonus of 40%. I am still waiting for state to sell the wreck for some more money back. That is because the bike was valued at more than it was insured for. Have a great trip over in the UK

Al
16th May 2005, 16:49
Glad you are ok, bit of a bummer about the R1 though....
You have a good trip to the UK and rest and recover so that you can go shopping when you return.

Al

Coldkiwi
16th May 2005, 17:53
well, you crashed it good swanny! I know we can't see much of the frame etc from the pics, but if its had a tumble, I would think thats pretty much guarantee'd something structural will have been bent out of alignment and force the repair costs past 70% of the value. A new set of fairings would be about $5000 for a start anyway so it would only leave 10k to get the rest replaceed and straightened (dubious)

What sort of retention strap does your HJC use? is it a doubleD or quick release type?
Also, did your leathers get scuffed or busted up where you had your back protector?

and my final question.... was it some nasty bit of loose gravel or somat that sent you off course or just coming in too hot?

swanman
17th May 2005, 08:51
well, you crashed it good swanny! I know we can't see much of the frame etc from the pics, but if its had a tumble, I would think thats pretty much guarantee'd something structural will have been bent out of alignment and force the repair costs past 70% of the value. A new set of fairings would be about $5000 for a start anyway so it would only leave 10k to get the rest replaceed and straightened (dubious)

What sort of retention strap does your HJC use? is it a doubleD or quick release type?
Also, did your leathers get scuffed or busted up where you had your back protector?

and my final question.... was it some nasty bit of loose gravel or somat that sent you off course or just coming in too hot?
Helmet is quick release type. LEathers were slightly scuffed in some places. But I polished the worst of it out almost back to good as new. Back protector has no effect on scuffing. Final question: toooo hotttt!

Zed
17th May 2005, 09:01
I'm off to the UK tomorrow for a spell. So I'll see how it goes and post stuff as I find out.That's right, I nearly forgot you were heading back over to your homeland...your plans nearly got delayed!!

Hope you have a great trip Fraser and *temporarily* forget about this event till you return. Get some R&R! :sleep:

Bon voyage,

Matthew

Biff
17th May 2005, 10:55
Bad luck Swanman - but that's a great attitude you have there.

From personal experience I believe that the bike will be written off should the repair bill be in excess of 60% of a new replacment bike. I believe that this rule applies to all bikes under 12 months old.

It got me a new one anyhoo.

vifferman
17th May 2005, 12:41
Bad luck Swanman - but that's a great attitude you have there.
Indeed it is.
Good luck to you, Sir - I hope it all works out well for you. :niceone:

From personal experience I believe that the bike will be written off should the repair bill be in excess of 60% of a new replacment bike. I believe that this rule applies to all bikes under 12 months old.
It applies to all insured bikes, cars, etc.
Sometimes it's mental though, like my VFR750 which had no structural damage, just some panel damage (and that not too serious), but with everything priced as new replacement parts, it came to $7800.
It adds up VERY quickly, with the insane price of bike parts, like fairing stay = $1300, muffler = $1200 (who the hell would buy a new OEM muffler?!?).

Biff
17th May 2005, 16:21
It adds up VERY quickly, with the insane price of bike parts, like fairing stay = $1300, muffler = $1200 (who the hell would buy a new OEM muffler?!?).

Does that indeed it does yes sirreee it does. I couldn't belive it when I heard that they'd written the BiffBird off. As far as I was concerned it was simply cosmetic damage. Mustn't grumble though.

And thanks for calling me a gentleman - it's been a while since anyone has called me one of them!

No please excuse me as I have a trump brewing, and I don't want to drop it in my office as I have guests arriving in 10 minutes.

swanman
18th May 2005, 00:45
Hi I just thought I'd take the advantage of free email in Singapore airport to post a message of absolutely no value whatsoever. Fuck I am not even half way yet!:whocares:

John
18th May 2005, 04:54
Good on ya swanny! bugger about the bike - shit happens eh? glad your still in good spirits, enjoy your trip and take care!

White trash
18th May 2005, 09:09
In all honesty, prolly the best thing that coulda happened to an R1. Great excuse to go and shell for a real bike.

GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5

bugjuice
18th May 2005, 09:15
Hi I just thought I'd take the advantage of free email in Singapore airport to post a message of absolutely no value whatsoever. Fuck I am not even half way yet!:whocares:
errrr.. where are ya, and where ya goin?

White trash
18th May 2005, 09:18
Hi I just thought I'd take the advantage of free email in Singapore airport

errrr.. where are ya,

Ummmmm........?

sAsLEX
18th May 2005, 09:25
this might help as well BUggy

bugjuice
18th May 2005, 09:37
this might help as well BUggy
thanx sAs..

wt. you think he's going to visit/live in the airport? i know that much... durrrrrr

Stroker Girl
18th May 2005, 09:57
Hi Fraser. Really sorry to hear about your bin and the state of your lovely bike but glad to know you are ok and not hurt. :niceone:

Hope you have a great trip back to the UK and that the insurance claim sorts itself out quickly.

SPman
18th May 2005, 18:59
In all honesty, prolly the best thing that coulda happened to an R1. Great excuse to go and shell for a real bike.

GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5
Got lots goin cheap, have ya...huh...huh...........

swanman
19th May 2005, 01:41
thanx sAs..

wt. you think he's going to visit/live in the airport? i know that much... durrrrrr

Well spending time in Scotland and some time in Cotswolds. Just arrived this morning and weather aint bad and the place is blooming nicely as summer comes in. Jeez I keep looking at the roads from a bike point of view, the roads around here (cotswolds) are brilliant, some serious knee down potential here. Wait a minute....that's what I thought about SH22....am I an addict?

bugjuice
19th May 2005, 14:17
Well spending time in Scotland and some time in Cotswolds. Just arrived this morning and weather aint bad and the place is blooming nicely as summer comes in. Jeez I keep looking at the roads from a bike point of view, the roads around here (cotswolds) are brilliant, some serious knee down potential here. Wait a minute....that's what I thought about SH22....am I an addict?
see if you can hire a bike and have some fun... That'll settle the spirits. I get my leathers this weekend, so time for me to have a go at this knee down stuff.. But not going to push it tho.
Can I have the rear swingarm stand spools of your bike, since it's dead? Was going to go out and buy some and then modify my rear stand, but if yup, then I only have to mod the stand. Think of it as a part of the R1 living on with my 636 as they used to ride... it's spirit captured in two little bobbins..

My 'wallpaper' on the mac at work changes every 15 minutes to a new pic. So far, the last 3 have been photos we took when we went up the coromandle.. rip's r1..

swanman
19th May 2005, 19:09
Could be dificult witht the bobbins as the assessor currently has the bike. Hopefully I will never see it again.

sAsLEX
19th May 2005, 23:15
Could be dificult witht the bobbins as the assessor currently has the bike. Hopefully I will never see it again.

buy back the wreck for cheap and turn it in to some modern art for the lounge?? Could get it back cheap and make a go cart with the engine and bits!!

aff-man
19th May 2005, 23:21
shit man. Glad to see you'r ok. Unfortunatley that wrecked front end is gonna cost a pretty penny. You probably looking at a write off :drinknsin :drinknsin

Mooch
20th May 2005, 00:04

Have you checked your policy on replacement ?. Mine had a full replacement policy if the bike was less than one year one and under 20,000 k . This is far better than the deprecated value after 7 months. Just a thought.

V Twin Raver
20th May 2005, 13:36
Glad you are okay there Swanman.

Interestingly, I was viewing your bike on Trademe & under KB Bikes For Sale thinking hmmm - should I spend a bit more for an '04' & give you a call???

Now it appears I could spend a bit less and get an '04'.

Good luck with a replacement.

ManDownUnder
20th May 2005, 14:20
buy back the wreck for cheap and turn it in to some modern art for the lounge?? Could get it back cheap and make a go cart with the engine and bits!!

Go_CART - with the R1 engine....

YYYYEEEEEEEE HHHHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

She be good for about 300kph.. and once you're redlining you'd have to change up to 2nd...:Punk:

crashe
20th May 2005, 20:59
Shit mate.... I have just found this thread.

Im so glad that you are ok..
Man, your bike is a writeoff.

I hope that they pay out top-dollar to you.

Please be careful out there on the roads.

swanman
4th June 2005, 09:46
So I got back from the Uk 2 days ago and there was a letter from AMI waiting for me. It said that the bike was a write off. They enclosed a form for me to fill in as to whether I had done any mods to the bike (no) and my estimate of the replacement value. I poped that in the post yesterday so I guess we'll see what figure they come up with. I estimated a fair replacement value at 18-19k.

Zed
4th June 2005, 10:06
So I got back from the Uk 2 days ago and there was a letter from AMI waiting for me. It said that the bike was a write off. They enclosed a form for me to fill in as to whether I had done any mods to the bike (no) and my estimate of the replacement value. I poped that in the post yesterday so I guess we'll see what figure they come up with. I estimated a fair replacement value at 18-19k.Welcome back man, it seems like only yesterday you went away and now it's nearly half way through the year!!!

No mods huh? But don't I recall seeing an aftermarket *tank pad* adhered to the 'Razed R1'? :D

FROSTY
4th June 2005, 10:07
Good to have ya back swannie.
Bita luck you'll be back on two wheels quick smart. :devil2:

Two Smoker
4th June 2005, 10:08
So I got back from the Uk 2 days ago and there was a letter from AMI waiting for me. It said that the bike was a write off. They enclosed a form for me to fill in as to whether I had done any mods to the bike (no) and my estimate of the replacement value. I poped that in the post yesterday so I guess we'll see what figure they come up with. I estimated a fair replacement value at 18-19k.

good to see its all sorted mate :niceone: whats on the cards for the next bike???

SPORK
4th June 2005, 12:34
good to see its all sorted mate :niceone: whats on the cards for the next bike???
A Raven R1? PLEASE, get one!

Sorry, I drooled over my keyboard...

swanman
5th June 2005, 08:49
Thanks for the welcome backs.

Not sure about what bike etc. Will really depend on the settlement etc. But I will not be buying new again that was a one off (pleasurable but expensive) experiment.

Something cheap but mad, streetfighter gsxr11? with lowered gearing?

bugjuice
5th June 2005, 17:36
welcome back dude...
hope they cough up quick for ya..

ManDownUnder
9th June 2005, 12:54

Not sure about what bike etc. Will really depend on the settlement etc. But I will not be buying new again that was a one off (pleasurable but expensive) experiment.

WB chap - don't care what you buy - I know it'll be a goodie

Enjoy
MDU

aff-man
9th June 2005, 14:24

They have one at mt eden for about $7k looks pretty good. Good to have ya back :niceone:

bugjuice
9th June 2005, 14:38
what about GSXR750..

HDTboy
9th June 2005, 15:00
Or you could be a sheep and get a 636 :P

bugjuice
9th June 2005, 15:06
Or you could be a sheep and get a 636 :P
it's not being a sheep, it's realising there's only one real machine worth having.

John
9th June 2005, 15:16
it's not being a sheep, it's realising there's only one real machine worth having.
what that man said x10.

Or go get a second hand 9r, there is one up here in whangarei for 9k at a dealer its damn tidy, blue new import not a scratch on it and low k's!

Sorry welcome back and cant wait to see what wheels you get next :)

Gremlin
9th June 2005, 23:28
I lurve that 636, but I was at Mt Eden today, and Callum showed me the Aprilia RSV1000s....

simply, what a gorgeous bike, beautiful, wow, I mean, all it does is appeal to you to ride it. They had the 05 and 04 factory r side by side.

But at 35k odd, its also a liiiittle more expensive than a 636. Godda own one some time tho :niceone:

justsomeguy
10th June 2005, 00:44
Oh yeah........

Happy Birthday.........

Hope you get what you want for your b'day...... how bout this in this colour - you'll look diabolically good.....

http://www.feldballemc.dk/pics/kawa/k_z1000_03.jpg

It's also something a bit different.... and a streetfighter like you mentioned before...... don't forget the super duke test ride at AMPS it's on the KB homepage........:niceone:

swanman
10th June 2005, 10:56
Mmmmmmmm,

All good suggestions. I reckon money is going to be the big thing, I really will be riding on a tight budget so I need max smiles per buck. ALso have lost my no claims bonus so can't afford to bin anything too pricey. I'll keep you all posted.

Saying that I am still waiting for AMi to finally come through, though I believe there are no remaining issue outstanding.

How about a complete change of orientation and buying a cruiser? Do you think that could work, I am 37 today so maybe I should take it easier.:rofl:

aff-man
10th June 2005, 11:23
Mmmmmmmm,

All good suggestions. I reckon money is going to be the big thing, I really will be riding on a tight budget so I need max smiles per buck. ALso have lost my no claims bonus so can't afford to bin anything too pricey. I'll keep you all posted.

Saying that I am still waiting for AMi to finally come through, though I believe there are no remaining issue outstanding.

How about a complete change of orientation and buying a cruiser? Do you think that could work, I am 37 today so maybe I should take it easier.:rofl:

I say go check out that streetfightered gixxer at Mt eden. For about that they also have a YZF 750SP if you like pink. :rofl: :rofl:

Ms Piggy
10th June 2005, 14:00
Result I was fine but the bike is a bit fucked.
Arrrghhh! Glad your ok mate!

Zed
10th June 2005, 15:08
How about a complete change of orientation and buying a cruiser? Do you think that could work, I am 37 today so maybe I should take it easier.Maybe that accident did more damage than you first thought wheelie man? Have you considered getting a brain scan? :weird:

swanman
10th June 2005, 15:14
Just got the letter from Ami today asking me to agree to a pay out of 18k - $900 excess i.e. $17.1k. Seems fair.

sAsLEX
10th June 2005, 15:16
Just got the letter from Ami today asking me to agree to a pay out of 18k - $900 excess i.e. $17.1k. Seems fair.

so pleased with your insurance's performance?? speed etc considering you were out of the country for a bit?

Holy Roller
10th June 2005, 15:25
Mmmmmmmm,
Have a look at a VMax sort of inbetween a sport and cruiser with enough tourque to satisfy....

Na go the Goldwing, Royale star/ Venture / Nomad way - comfort plus. I'm biased these days not that one would guess it.

Ixion
10th June 2005, 15:42

Golly , you guys spend a lot on your wheels. :yes: Must be nice to be rich and able to afford such things. [Where's the envy smiley ? ]Never spent more than $3K on any vehicle in my life :no:

Anyway, glad it's all worked out good for you.

Think about the cruiser thing, I'm looking more and more interestedly at them, having in the past always considered them beyond the pale.

vifferman
10th June 2005, 15:51
Think about the cruiser thing, I'm looking more and more interestedly at them, having in the past always considered them beyond the pale.
I did that about 5 years ago, as I was hooning a bit much and worried about the consequences. Plus a mate with a cruiser who'd previously had bikes like GSXRs reckoned it was a more relaxing ride. So, I took a couple for a test ride.
Nup - not for me. The ride position's all wrong, for a start - curves your spine the wrong way, and you can't effectively take your weight off over bumps using your legs, as the pegs are too far forward.

A better was to go is a naked (or 'standard') bike, which has a more natural seating position, with bars in about the right place, pegs not too close to the seat, etc.

But I stuck with sport-tourers, and have had three since my wee look into cruisers. :yes:

swanman
11th June 2005, 12:50
Golly , you guys spend a lot on your wheels. :yes: Must be nice to be rich and able to afford such things. [Where's the envy smiley ? ]Never spent more than $3K on any vehicle in my life :no:

Hey mate it's all on tick. Wish I was rich too.

swanman
11th June 2005, 13:00
How about this zxr750 for about 4.5k?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=28936556

Zed
11th June 2005, 21:56
Just got the letter from Ami today asking me to agree to a pay out of 18k - $900 excess i.e. $17.1k. Seems fair.Can't complain about that! Glad to hear it's been sorted finally. :yes:

WINJA
11th June 2005, 22:13
I CRASHED MY NEW GSXR1000K3 IT WAS 2 WEEKS OLD AND HAD NO INSURANCE AND I DONT CARE MY ATTITUDE IS WHEN YOU WALK AWAY EVERYTHING ELSE IS TRIVIAL

swanman
12th June 2005, 09:30
A lot of work?? What work.. have I missed domething... looks pretty standard to me.

I spoke to the guy yesterday. He says work as in full service, new oil in forks seels, etc to the value of $750 about months back. I am going down to have a look at it today it somewhere near Cambridge want to come down? 021 2158689.
Fraser

FEINT
12th June 2005, 16:41
How about this zxr750 for about 4.5k?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=28936556

how about my CB400????? :whistle: :whistle: :love:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=13055

glad you got the insurance pay out Fraser. :D

swanman
12th June 2005, 19:38
Well I went to see 2 bikes one outside cambridge the zxr 750 and the other a zl1000 in Tauranga. SO that was a 500k round trip. The Zxr was a dog! The brakes were more than dangerous! The fairings were made of grp (racer farings) and the engine was rough as guts. This bike was described by the owner as being in amazingly good condition. What a wanker.

The zl 1000 in Tauranga was described to me as being a 9 out of 10 by the owner and with 15k onthe clock. In acutality the clock was 115k, the petrol tank leaked, the forks leaked oil, you had to fiddle with some dody connection by the carbs to get it started, the clocks were bent and there was a loose electrical connection in the kill switch, was a nice bike once, now... a dog!

There are some dishonest people out there folks and they are selling bikes!!!

Now Ming, why didn't you say you were selling the ceebee. I'll text you.

swanman
16th June 2005, 14:54
Got the cheque from AMI today and put it straight into the bank. So that's the end of the story. From buying a brand new R1 in October 04 to getting the final cheque for binning it in June '05. It has been an interesting experience, a great bike, some great rides, a good summer all round ended by a crash and final pay out. All in all I'm a happy camper. That being said if I added up all the money and depreciation I have sure had to pay for it, but in retrospect I think it was worth it.

Ride on!:Punk:

Zed
16th June 2005, 15:01
Got the cheque from AMI today and put it straight into the bank. So that's the end of the story. From buying a brand new R1 in October 04 to getting the final cheque for binning it in June '05. It has been an interesting experience, a great bike, some great rides, a good summer all round ended by a crash and final pay out. All in all I'm a happy camper. That being said if I added up all the money and depreciation I have sure had to pay for it, but in retrospect I think it was worth it.

Ride on!:Punk:Sounds like 'life' to me Swanny! Glad the insurance saga is done & dusted.

If/when you get another bike I'll see you on the road some time. :ride:

Zed

festus
16th June 2005, 16:44
Good to hear it all turned out good on all respects, injuries and financially. Do hope you get back into bikes mate!, can't let a spill turn you away from a great pass time and excellent way to meet other good bikers/people who share in the same interest.

Go on!, get back on that horse :niceone:

swanman
17th June 2005, 10:10
Just to say i haven't been put off bikes at all. If anything the opposite. Financially I have to start being a lot more sensible. It is my intention to start saving and working for a yacht to take me round the world in a coupla years and that it now my main financial focus.

aff-man
17th June 2005, 12:28
Just to say i haven't been put off bikes at all. If anything the opposite. Financially I have to start being a lot more sensible. It is my intention to start saving and working for a yacht to take me round the world in a coupla years and that it now my main financial focus.

get a gn250... ou know you want to though after the r1 i don't think you'll be able to handel the awwwwwwosme power :rofl: :rofl:

I might be selling the cbr nearer the end of the year though... all nicely resprayed as well

ManDownUnder
17th June 2005, 13:53

Good attitude - and good luck dude!
MDU