PDA

View Full Version : Fire fire fire

Nouseforaname
11th November 2003, 21:02
just got a text from a mate saying a building is burning down on Barry's Point Rd in Takapuna..... hopefully it's not one of the many bike shops on that road.

danb
12th November 2003, 06:08
Originally posted by Nouseforaname
just got a text from a mate saying a building is burning down on Barry's Point Rd in Takapuna..... hopefully it's not one of the many bike shops on that road.

Yea i saw that on the news on tv this morining. :gob:
Yes it was a bike shop of somesort - dont know which one.

MikeL
12th November 2003, 06:45
Radio news said it was full of tyres - must be Cycletreads???

Mitch
12th November 2003, 07:36
You got it in one MikeL.  Unfortunitly it was Cycletreads.

Slim
12th November 2003, 08:06
Isn't there some sort of Motocross business in that building too? Just saw the morning news: big building between the Honda & BMW shops - defo Cycletreads. I bet it stinks in Takapuna this morning! :shit:

Kwaka-Kid
12th November 2003, 08:47
Originally posted by Mitch
Unfortunitly it was Cycletreads.

Yeah? alright i think some of the staff there are not bad at all... however after my one and only experience there i sure as hell aint going back... damn... what goes around comes around i guess.. but he burnt the building down for me just coz they forgot about tyre pressures, lied about what sorta tyres they were, and wasted half a day-before-a-raceday  of mine? damn.. i wasnt that angry about it.. :o :niceone:

MacD
12th November 2003, 09:05
Here's a news item on NZOOM (http://onenews.nzoom.com/onenews_detail/0,1227,235120-1-7,00.html) about the fire. At least it sounds like the bike shops either side were unaffected.

Hoon
12th November 2003, 09:36
Will they be having a fire sale on tyres?  :)

jrandom
12th November 2003, 09:38
Originally posted by MacD
At least it sounds like the bike shops either side were unaffected.

Yup, they're fine. I work around the corner in Fred Thomas Drive. Rode past the smouldering shell this morning... gawd it's stinky. The guys at Holeshot were rolling out the display bikes as per normal though... it was slightly surreal.

Apparently it burned late yesterday evening, one of the guys here who was working late saw 'three-storey high flames' around 9pm. Would have been quite a sight (and smell!)

Might be worth a bit of quick looting to see if there are any unburnt BT012s under the rubble :D

What?
12th November 2003, 10:12
Originally posted by Kwaka-Kid
alright i think some of the staff there are not bad at all... however after my one and only experience there i sure as hell aint going back...

Yeah, the best ones walked over the road and set up a new business. Those left behind pissed me off big time.

Kwaka-Kid
12th November 2003, 11:07
heck yeah What? i say go leading edge!!

hmmm, new question in head... i wonder if it was an inside job? i wouldnt put it passed 'em

danb
12th November 2003, 11:08
The Dam media can never get anything right. :argh:
Watched the Morining News on Breakfast or whatever it is and said it was a motorbike wharehouse or something. Ohh well they must be wrong if thats the case!

Coldkiwi
12th November 2003, 11:32
bugger. leading edge will have to make some more room. At least Holeshot are still standing because i"m due for a service there next week.

Lou Girardin
12th November 2003, 14:13
From the look of it, there won't be anything worth salvaging.
Totally gutted. Poor buggers.

750Y
12th November 2003, 15:09
what a waste of stuff 8-(, there was so much good bike stuff in there too like leathers/helmets/suits/tyres etc. Lucky no one was hurt tho. Man, Leading edge & motomail are gonna be busy, they must be rubbing their hands together.

Nouseforaname
12th November 2003, 16:19
I know they do servicing and stuff at Cycletreads too so i feel real sorry if some poor bugger had his bike in there overnight:(

Yeh i guess that place will be smouldering for days cos it was a rather big attic full of tyres.

I know a few people have had bad experience with these guys but ive always had good service, just a shame to see some guys business burnt to the ground.

Motu
12th November 2003, 16:27
I hope they are not too,too busy - I was going in to Leading Edge to get a couple of tyres on sat...wonder if I can book em over the phone?

Firefight
12th November 2003, 18:45
[QUOTE][-1-7,00.html]news item on NZOOM[/URL] about the fire. At least it sounds like the bike shops either side were unaffected.

Thanks to the 50 or so dedicated, professional firefighters, who did an excellent job in protecting the bikes shops either side
of Cycletreads, well done guys.

:2thumbsup

wkid_one
12th November 2003, 18:49
I guess they will have a fire sale now!! Pity we can't pick up a smoke damaged 954 or GSXR?

Dave
12th November 2003, 19:08
Fire sale my arse, There is nothing,and i mean NOTHING left.
i went past this afternoon and the domolition guys were already starting to knock down the ruins.
Close call for cycletreads though-the roof on their building has started melting.

Nouseforaname
12th November 2003, 19:26
Yeh i just drove past myself and was so suprised as to how gutted the building was, i at least expected a little something left!

But yeh wont be long before the buildings down as the big ass dump truck was parked outside.

Andrew
12th November 2003, 21:17
I went to leading edge this morning to buy some oil for my bike. I didn't even know at the time that leading edge had burn't down. I'd never seen leading edge so busy, and Baz the guy who usually walks up to me like a shot took a good 10 mins to get over to me!! They'll have their work cut out for a while, thats for sure!!!

Coldkiwi
12th November 2003, 22:19
I rolled past at 7pm to see what was left. As you guys said,there's NOTHING but a blackened shrivelled carcass. Those tyres must generate a fair bit of heat. Holeshot will be thankful the driveway seperates the two premises and Cyclespot must be counting their blessings too. As for any bikes inthere being  serviced, I hope we've all got at least 3rd party/fire/theft?

but at 7pm, leading edge still had the open signs out. I'm syure they don;t want to see anyone burned down but they won't mind the business I'll bet (unless one of the poor sods had annual leave coming up!)

Andrew
12th November 2003, 22:23
I went past at 10pm after finishing class to see what was left aswell. There was a security guard parked in his car outside the remains, he didn't seem suprised that people were still checking out the site at 10pm.

Redstar
13th November 2003, 20:39
well as a gold card holder of Cycletreads and having frequented them for a few years I feel really sorry for the team I guess they all have no Jobs yet so Mike and tyson and the team I hope you find a new home soon. and in time for my next purchase.
good luck

Motu
14th November 2003, 07:13
Yeah,it sucks,I guess insurance will help the owner,but the boys will be in a tight spots for jobs - do they hang around for a rebuild or jump to a new job.Some may of not liked their who gives a shit attitude,but I thought they were fun guys - someone was always pulling a wheelie up Barrys Point rd on a sat morning...loonies.

got my tyres put aside at Leading Edge and I'll pick them up tomorrow....maybe I'll go over the road and see if I can see a burnt skeleton poking out of the wreckage...like a pair of handle bars or summat.

SpankMe
24th November 2003, 12:38
Some pictures courtesy of Jo at Holeshot.

SpankMe
24th November 2003, 12:39

SpankMe
24th November 2003, 12:40

SpankMe
24th November 2003, 12:40

Coldkiwi
24th November 2003, 14:49
bloody hell. they weren't kidding about 3 storey flames!

aff-man
25th November 2003, 07:39
does anyone know what caused it??? Man that is a huge fire :eek:

marty
25th November 2003, 08:17
the other shop was a wholesale MX and BMX shop called Sportspro. They were dreadfully slow to get stuff in if it wasn't in stock, but had a great range. They were NZ's major suppliers of Fox/Fly gear etc to all the MX/BMX bike shops, we'll now have to get all our stuff direct from the states (although that has been known to be quicker - 6 days from on-line order to the front door)

talking about buying on line - i've just picked up an RS250 gearbox with 5000kms on it, from germany, for 105 euros (delivered) on e-bay. has cost me NZ$190 all up, and it's unmarked. was worth it just as a spare! man there's some great deals on there.