PDA

View Full Version : Easter Weekend tour around East Cape

Nat
29th March 2010, 12:05
Me and my brother are going on a cruise around the East Cape this Easter weekend. We've got a pretty packed schedule, but if anyone's got any suggestions about things that are too good to miss, then let us know! We're going through Tauranga, Whakatane, round the Cape, Gisborne, Napier, so if you know anything awesome in/ around any of these towns or in between them, put a reply here and if time allows we'll do it.

Thanks in advance!

cowboyz
29th March 2010, 12:21
The east cape roads offer plenty of photo oppoutunities. Magic roads with magic scenery. There is NZ oldest pukutakawa tree in Te Aroroa which is kinda cool. if you like trees.

TerminalAddict
29th March 2010, 13:11
I did this two weeks ago .. watch when the road signs say uneven surface . .they don't kid !!!

Blackbird
29th March 2010, 13:15
From Gisborne to Wairoa, go inland down Tiniroto Road; it's a bikers paradise - twisty all the way. Pretty much the same distance as the coast road. See our recent trip pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/geoff.james74/EastCapeEscapeFeb2010#

Nat
29th March 2010, 13:57
From Gisborne to Wairoa, go inland down Tiniroto Road; it's a bikers paradise - twisty all the way. Pretty much the same distance as the coast road. See our recent trip pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/geoff.james74/EastCapeEscapeFeb2010#

Cool pics!

Good tips so far, keep 'em coming.

Blackbird
29th March 2010, 14:12
Cool pics!

Good tips so far, keep 'em coming.

Not sure which way you intend to get to the Cape from Auckland but the nicest route to Whakatane is to go down the main highway from Rotorua to Taupo and turn off to Murapara about 20 km south of Rotorua. Follow the road nearly to Murapara, then turn north and follow the road to Galatea, Matahina and then on to Whakatane. Fantastic bike road and will be virtually empty despite it being Easter weekend.

Edit: I see you intend to go though Tauranga - it will be terribly busy.

Maha
29th March 2010, 14:37
Ruatoria is a must do!
I was suprised at how um, not like I thought it would be.
The Hotel at Tolaga bay is a good place to stop over for a night, make sure you ride out to the end on the old Wharf.

Blackbird
29th March 2010, 14:46
Ruatoria is a must do!
I was suprised at how um, not like I thought it would be.
The Hotel at Tolaga bay is a good place to stop over for a night, make sure you ride out to the end on the old Wharf.

Hahaha... thanks for the tip. I've always avoided Ruatoria for the same "um" that you refer to!!

When we parked up near the wharf in Feb, it was undergoing remedial work. I may be mistaken but I think the sign said you could only get part way up for 2 or 3 months.

joshua
29th March 2010, 21:40
hey good idea putting a post up bro. Im beginning to get pretty excited! those photos above look awesome - Thanks Blackbird!
Nat Lets meet up to discuss the route - I suppose we didn't really take holiday traffic into account.

MaxB
29th March 2010, 23:05
Scan the other threads on here for East Cape advice.

The major thing is fuel stops. There are pumps at Omaio Bay on the BoP side and Te Araroa, Ruatoria, Te Puia Springs, Tokomaru and Tolaga Bays on the Gisborne side. The are usually attached to general store.

It sounds like a lot but they keep their own holiday hours so they may close by lunch. Or not open at all on the stat days. Best to do a little planning 'cos its 370 km from Opotiki to Gisborne via East Cape.

CookMySock
30th March 2010, 07:22
Thumbs up for Tolaga Inn. Good bike parking around the back right outside your bedroom window.

Steve

cowboyz
30th March 2010, 08:23
yep.. ill put a vote in for the wharf at tologa bay too!.. its awesome.. can fish off it if you got a spare couple of hours.

robinm
6th April 2010, 22:09
Awesum ride, I did it on the way home from the battle of the streets a few weeks ago, but I did Whakatane, where I based myself for the Battle of the streets weekend, to home (Woodville) in the one day, 800kms, so did not really get a chance to have a good look round, next time I will take 2 days to really enjoy what I did not get to see or do last time.

insomnia01
13th April 2010, 07:48
Not sure which way you intend to get to the Cape from Auckland but the nicest route to Whakatane is to go down the main highway from Rotorua to Taupo and turn off to Murapara about 20 km south of Rotorua. Follow the road nearly to Murapara, then turn north and follow the road to Galatea, Matahina and then on to Whakatane. Fantastic bike road and will be virtually empty despite it being Easter weekend.

Hey Geoff, you ever done the million dollar highway from Murupara through to Kawerau ?? If not, just as you come into Murupara theres a timber yard to your left ( having come from Rotorua direction ) turn in here follow around the back there the highway starts, its a private road ,but is kept open most of the year need to watch out for logging trucks but road is wide & flowing like a highway, Sundays are the best day to go through most of the trucks are off the road but gate is open... road shadows the route you mentioned is @ 85km long & you come out in Kawerau

Blackbird
13th April 2010, 09:03
Hi Hami,

Yep, but sadly only with work! Before I retired, I had to show some international auditors some logging truck deliveries to Tasman mill from some log skids down there - it's a fabulous road. A friend who lives at Kawerau cuts through there to see family down Palmerson North way and says it saves him over half an hour.

CookMySock
13th April 2010, 09:23
@million dollar road, you will get accosted by security in there. Also it's not really a place to misbehave as there is little or no cellular coverage and no one knows where you are. Seriously its more fun going up Galatea road anyway.

Steve

joshua
13th April 2010, 09:54
Plus i suppose a little motorbike whizzing around a blind corner is one of the last things someone driving a logging truck would be expecting to see on a private logging road...
sounds like fun tho! could be keen to do it with a couple of mates