PDA

View Full Version : Safe Riding Course for Kiwibiker Newbies

justsomeguy
16th May 2005, 14:44
BRONZ Ride Right Ride Safe Course

:ride:Highly recommended for Newbies:ride:

The cost for this course will be $45 payable in advance due to the huge demand. Fill in the attached form and send your cheques to the address in the form.

You have to bring your own lunch there are no other food facilities and you cannot leave during lunch time (Air Force Base requirements). It will be held in Auckland (Whenuapai).

It takes a whole day and includes both theory and practical aspects of riding.

It will be suitable for riders who have done at the minimum 500kms of general riding.

Items covered include:

Having good discipline as a learner
Familiarisation with your bike
A daily riders checklist
Safe riding habits
Proper riding position
Physical forces acting on your motorcycle
Directional control - including counter steering
Friction
Cornering - lines, throttle control, etc
Braking - at speeds up to 80kmph - you decide how fast you want to go.
System of motorcycle control
Night riding
An excellent fault finding check sheet covering clutch, engine, brakes, steering, electrical system and ignition system and the battery.
And a hell of a lot more that comes from talking to experts.
I have been through this course before and I cannot speak highly enough of both the course and the instructors and it is amazing value for money.

First preference will be given to those on learner licenses. But all are welcome. I have seen people on 300kg Harleys to Aprilla sports bike.

Click Here to see how many places are left (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=239798&postcount=7)

MSTRS
16th May 2005, 14:56
Someone who's prepared to put their hand up & be proactive. Well done & I hope you get the support/interest you deserve.

Ixion
16th May 2005, 15:05
Well done that man, Give him an orang-utan.

If there are spaces left after all the L platers are sed up, I'll put my name down (werk permitting). No matter how long you've been riding it never does any harm to back to basics, you always learn something .

crashe
16th May 2005, 15:48
Yep it is a fantastic course to do... :ride: :ride:

I did it 5 years ago and it saved my life when I got hit from the side, by a car.
I even managed to keep the bike upright.... the car smashed up my left shock and I had to replace them both.

I had just done the course two weeks before being hit.

I highly recommend this course. :niceone: :niceone:

ManDownUnder
16th May 2005, 16:13
It's not for me but...

I went on one of these courses YEARS ago ("defensive riding course" it were...) and it paid for itsel many times over.

How to handle uneven surfaces
What to do if you fall off and suspect you're hurt
How to minimise pain/damage when something is ont the road or runs out.

etc etc etc...

Years of learning in one course!
MDU

Fart
16th May 2005, 16:29
What does the course cover?

I am not a newbie, but I have been away from riding for a number of years and have just recently got back into it. Abit rusty and wants to sharpen up some techniques.

justsomeguy
16th May 2005, 16:42
Approx 5 places still left for the 19th. And if we get another 5more we MAY be able to schedule another run on the 26th of June - pending approval.

Places will be secured by posting a cheque to BRONZ and completing the form attached, it is the same form attached to the first post. PLEASE TELL THEM YOU ARE FROM KIWIBIKER.

Due to the high number of people wanting to attend - both from KB and outside BRONZ have requested that payment now be made in advance.

If I've missed anyone please PM me.

Potentially attending the Ride Right Ride Safe 19th June:

Justsomeguy
PlacidFemme
PlacidFemme's Partner
Ranzer
Wildcat_lgf
Curious_George
Sutage
John sf1980
Brett
Yokai
Reno
Sparky
Pyrocam
Puffman
Pommie_girl
Mad Duck
19th June - All places POTENTIALLY filled. Places will be secured by posting a cheque and completing the form attached, it is the same form attached to the first post.

If we can gather another 20ish riders we may be able to arrange a special day for us. The gentleman from BRONZ says the 26th June may be a possibility. To be confirmed if we have the extra 20 people.

Next 20 potential attendees:

Ixion
El Dopa
Johnny
LiasTZ
Limmy
FEINT
Mars
Mar's partner
Maximum limit of riders.

placidfemme
16th May 2005, 16:48
Hi, my partner and I are both on our Learners Permits, however, we are going to book our restricted tests for a week or so away, we would both be more than keen to come along, so if you like you can add our names to the list. :)

justsomeguy
16th May 2005, 17:00
OK I've got about 3 so far and 2 potentials. I shall contact the people then. It will most probably be sometime in June or if that doesn't workout then in the 3rd week of July.

wildcat_lgf
16th May 2005, 17:35
As long as its on a Sunday I should be able to make it...I would be keen. :)

curious george
16th May 2005, 17:38
Well done that man, Give him an orang-utan.
Ohhhh, have one of my monkeys, they're milder....

Bloody good for you justsomeguy!
I think thats a terrific idea, and if it's not limited to complete noobs, perhaps people like myself, who have done a bit of riding, but nothing formal might attend?
I hope people take advantage of this :Punk:

Ranzer
16th May 2005, 17:59
Well, I've done this course before and I'm no longer on my learners, but if there are spaces left I'm definitely keen to do it again. :niceone:
Will be good to revise everything and see whether I've improved since last time. I wasn't very happy at all with my emergency braking last time... hopefully I've brought it up a notch or two since.
And to anyone considering coming along I recommend you do, even if you're not on your learners anymore... I've actually got my full now (though I still consider myself a newb) and having done the licence tests I can say the tests wont teach you anything except what the road rules are - when to give way, when to indicate, etc. I even did the defensive driving course to cut down my restricted time - it turned out to be all theory and I don't think there was anything specific to bikes, we just get lumped in with the cage drivers. Some of the defensive driving course stuff was pretty sensible (though overall I didn't really think very highly of the course) but if you want to learn specifically about riding (and hey why else would we be here :ride:) then you're much better off on a course specific to bikes, not to mention one that actually gets you out on your bike practicing - theory will only get you so far. Oh yeah, did I already say sign me up if there are spaces free? :done:

Sutage
16th May 2005, 18:01
Yep i'd defintely wanna do this, count me in

FROSTY
17th May 2005, 08:30
not just for new riders that course--Ya just never know how many bad habits you've picked up. :devil2:

Hitcher
17th May 2005, 08:37
A top initiative. Full marks to the organisers. I hope people turn out in droves and not just "newbies".

jazbug5
17th May 2005, 09:05
I had a quick look at the BRONZ website yesterday, and it seemed (please correct me if I'm wrong) that they weren't offering anything like this in Wellington..? I think this is a GREAT idea, Justsomeguy, and would love to see it available to all.
I went to the Training Day last Sunday in the Hutt; it was great fun. I discovered I'd got into nasty (emergency) braking habits (too little front brake, due to my teeny wee hands). Going around the cones was good for handling as well; a second day would have been perfect, then we could have covered some more of the things on that list.
It was just for women, as well- 'great, but what about the boys?', I thought.
Okay, it is up to us all individually to be practising, but that doesn't necessarily stop you forming bad habits, or seeing the things in your techniques that an experienced onlooker will...

bugjuice
17th May 2005, 09:29
For those who have been riding a bit longer (bit like meeeeeeeeee), I might look at an intermediate/advanced course. I'm sure there's still stuff for me to learn, if that's a popular idea.. Guess see how this goes, then piggy-back off this.

justsomeguy
17th May 2005, 09:36
If we have a large enough turnout the people will look at perhaps organising a special day for us.

So say about 35 people max.

The course is held on every 3rd Sunday of the month.

Consider this: The worse the weather- the better the experience, cos you'll be learning skills in more challenging conditions and it would be excellent wet weather practice.

Ixion
17th May 2005, 09:37
not just for new riders that course--Ya just never know how many bad habits you've picked up. :devil2:

This is true. Especially things like emergency braking, because (hopefully) one very seldom has emergencies to brake for, and when they do occur one is much too busy with other things (mainly screaming ) to take note of technique. I'm sure mine is terrible.

Skunk
17th May 2005, 11:37
I had a quick look at the BRONZ website yesterday, and it seemed (please correct me if I'm wrong) that they weren't offering anything like this in Wellington..?
BRONZ in Wgtn is gone... Lack of interest.

Waylander
17th May 2005, 12:37
I should have my goin by then and if so count me in. Also might have my Rebel up and running for people to use as a practice bike if they want.

Brett
17th May 2005, 13:37
Hey, count me in. My bike is in the shop after being knocked over while parked, and hopefully it will be back in time...If so...I will definitely be in.

Brett
17th May 2005, 13:38
I am on learners licence also.

Yokai
17th May 2005, 15:49
I'm definitely up for that...
learner, lack of money, want to ride better.
Yokai

Biff
17th May 2005, 16:50
I'm definitely up for that...
learner, lack of money, want to ride better.
Yokai

And where do you think you've been Mr Yokai?
Have you been avoiding this place of late?
Got youself another biking web site biatch somewhere eh?
Being unfaithful ? Ya Tart.

Welcome back :niceone:

Sparky
17th May 2005, 17:41
I'll be keen to join ya all. :ride:

pyrocam
17th May 2005, 18:14
does anyone have any work I can do for the $45 nessesary for this course?

I have a loan bike from colemans and Im looking for weekend work at the moment to get day by day but if theres something I can do (I dunno manual labour / courier / fix your computer) that could help me out to cover the course cost?

Cheers

Phurrball
17th May 2005, 18:22
I like the sound of this course - but I won't be 'ready'/available for this one... :weep:

This being the sorry situation, I was wondering if any wise KBer knows when the course *after* this one is likely to be/how often these courses are run?

¡Muchos gracias! to anyone who can help me out! :niceone:

Cheers!

Ixion
17th May 2005, 18:35
does anyone have any work I can do for the $45 nessesary for this course?

I have a loan bike from colemans and Im looking for weekend work at the moment to get day by day but if theres something I can do (I dunno manual labour / courier / fix your computer) that could help me out to cover the course cost?

Cheers

I've PM'd you

PuffMan
17th May 2005, 19:17
I have been riding for the grand total of a month now but have been commuting to work every day. I would love to learn if i'm doing things right or wrong, and how to go about improving my riding and safety. I would love to attend this course. :ride:

crashe
17th May 2005, 19:23
Welcome Puffman to the site.

Yep you will learn heaps from this course.

It is worth while for all learners to the experienced riders.

I would like to redo the course but due to the fact that i'm off the bike for some time.... I wont be attending this one.

justsomeguy
17th May 2005, 20:15
I like the sound of this course - but I won't be 'ready'/available for this one... :weep:

This being the sorry situation, I was wondering if any wise KBer knows when the course *after* this one is likely to be/how often these courses are run?

¡Muchos gracias! to anyone who can help me out! :niceone:

Cheers!

The course is held every 3rd Sunday of the Month.

Phurrball
17th May 2005, 20:17
The course is held every 3rd Sunday of the Month.

(As Mr Burns would say) Eeeeeexxxxxxxcellent!

MadDuck
17th May 2005, 20:21
Hey JSG

I did the course on the VTR after a long break from riding and it was brilliant. I have been meaning to go along on the SV but have procrastinated for way too long.

I know you want to give preference to learners (and they will get heaps from the course) but if you cant get enuff numbers that way then I am keen to come along.

MD

justsomeguy
17th May 2005, 21:15
OK an update.

I've added the BRONZ registration form for this event. Check the first post on this thread.

Due to the high amount of numbers and the fact that BRONZ have to now turn people away they and I feel that it is fair that payment now be made in advance.

Could you please PM me once you have sent the cheque to the address given in the form. Also please tell me your real name so I can account for everyone between KB and the people from BRONZ.

If everyone on the current list (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=239798&postcount=7)confirms by payment then the 19th June Session is filled.

However if we can get another set of around 20 riders we can have another session specially for us KB'ers on the 26th June. This will be confirmed once we get the next 20(ish) and get back to BRONZ.

Otherwise there is the next regular date of the 17th of July.

R6_kid
17th May 2005, 21:20
the course is aimed at new riders and riders returning to bikes after a break (oldies :D )

If i dont attend the actual course i might be able to do a lunch run for you guys as i have access to the base.

But i'll probably be there either way, i'll have to talk some ppl and see if i can still do the lunch thing if i attend.

justsomeguy
17th May 2005, 21:28
the course is aimed at new riders and riders returning to bikes after a break (oldies :D )

If i dont attend the actual course i might be able to do a lunch run for you guys as i have access to the base.

But i'll probably be there either way, i'll have to talk some ppl and see if i can still do the lunch thing if i attend.

Thanks Gareth much appreciated.:niceone:

El Dopa
17th May 2005, 22:17
OK I've got about 3 so far and 2 potentials. I shall contact the people then. It will most probably be sometime in June or if that doesn't workout then in the 3rd week of July.

Would be keen on a July date, if one happens. Busy as a horny one-armed monkey until then.

Mars
26th May 2005, 18:45
hi there, i'm really keen to attend this course and so is my man. He's just learning to ride though so does't have the required 500k's under his belt. nor his own bike. still, he's already a better rider than i am and i've been riding for nearly a year. can he still attend?

justsomeguy
26th May 2005, 18:49
Hi Mars there's still a few weeks till the course - 19th of June.

So there's plenty of time to get some experience.:niceone:

A place will be guaranteed only on reciept of a cheque by the BRONZ people.:yes:

I spoke to the man incharge this evening and hopefully by tomorrow - day after tomorrow I'll know how many cheques they've recieved.

It looks like we may be able to organise another day too. But I need more people. - so tell all your friends and family too:D

Mars
26th May 2005, 18:58
Cool, thanks! What about the lack-of-bike thing? pushing it huh?

justsomeguy
26th May 2005, 19:01
Cool, thanks! What about the lack-of-bike thing? pushing it huh?

You guys can share a bike - we'll just arrange one of you at the start of a que and the other at the end - will give you enough time to run/ride to the end of the que by the time it's your turn to have a go.

As for my bike - it works - no rear brake or right hand side indicators - but it rides fine.

NhuanH
26th May 2005, 22:47
As for my bike - it works - no brake or right hand side indicators - but it rides fine.
so do you just perpetually go in a leftish direction? :D

What do I need to qualify as a newb? :msn-wink:

justsomeguy
26th May 2005, 23:17
so do you just perpetually go in a leftish direction? :D

What do I need to qualify as a newb? :msn-wink:

Hehehe - yeah makes it a bit inconvenient while overtaking...

This course is for everyone not just newbies.

The last time I took it there were people there who were simply brushing up on their skills.......300kg harleys, etc

ALL WELCOME :niceone:

justsomeguy
31st May 2005, 21:14
Can all those people who have posted their cheques please PM me.

I have twenty four interested people but only six confirmed cheque reciepts.

Therefore we have 8 places left for June.

justsomeguy
2nd June 2005, 21:58
Can all those people who have posted their cheques please PM me.

I have twenty four interested people but only six confirmed cheque reciepts.

Therefore we have 8 places left for June.

Anybody???

johnny
6th June 2005, 17:33
So....... Who is actully got confirm on the 19th Jun course??
And by the way any one from Eastern AKL eg Howick Pakuranga??

Gremlin
6th June 2005, 23:27
And by the way any one from Eastern AKL eg Howick Pakuranga??
What on the course or anybody from here????

johnny
7th June 2005, 12:15
What on the course or anybody from here????

Hahaa Sorry didnt make it clear ...
Anyone fron Eastern AKL is attending thats course??

I will start another thread as if anyony from Eastern AKL...heeheee

justsomeguy
7th June 2005, 23:06
UPDATE

So far only 11 out of the 20+ have sent cheques through. So others there's still a great chance.

If we get another 5-10 people apart from those on the list(provided all on the list show up) then I'm confident that if the Air Force allow us then we shall have the 26th of June booked for us too.

Hope to see most of you'll at the monthly meet at Mission Bay next thursday. :niceone:

placidfemme
8th June 2005, 07:32
UPDATE

So far only 11 out of the 20+ have sent cheques through. So others there's still a great chance.

If we get another 5-10 people apart from those on the list(provided all on the list show up) then I'm confident that if the Air Force allow us then we shall have the 26th of June booked for us too.

Hope to see most of you'll at the monthly meet at Mission Bay next thursday. :niceone:

Sorry to be a pain in the ass... but...

I downloaded that form and will make the money order payment, so should I put the 19th on the form or the 26th?

*checking to make sure I don't screw it up*

Thanks in advance :ride:

justsomeguy
8th June 2005, 09:02
Sorry to be a pain in the ass... but...

I downloaded that form and will make the money order payment, so should I put the 19th on the form or the 26th?

*checking to make sure I don't screw it up*

Thanks in advance :ride:

The 19th. The 19th. The 19th. :niceone:

The 26th is just a hypothetical scenario.:yes:

placidfemme
8th June 2005, 09:23
The 19th. The 19th. The 19th. :niceone:

The 26th is just a hypothetical scenario.:yes:

Sweet thank you :)

*is easily confused lol*

The 19th it is then :ride:

justsomeguy
8th June 2005, 09:25
Sweet thank you :)

*is easily confused lol*

The 19th it is then :ride:]

Hahahaha no worries....... and if you live handy to Mission Bay try and see if you can find sometime to drop in and say hi.

Have you got your partner signed up on KB yet???

placidfemme
8th June 2005, 09:41
]

Hahahaha no worries....... and if you live handy to Mission Bay try and see if you can find sometime to drop in and say hi.

Have you got your partner signed up on KB yet???

We're on the North Shore, but Mission Bay isn't far up the road...

My partner isn't very computer savy... unless it has Counter Strike or some other war game on it... lol

I could create a log-on for her, but I doubt she'd ever use it. I can use the computers at work, and because we don't have internet at home, she'd have to use an internet cafe comp... :ride:

justsomeguy
9th June 2005, 20:32
Approx 5 places still left for the 19th.

And if we get another 5 more plus those that have said they would like to come we MAY be able to schedule another run on the 26th of June - pending approval.

Fill out the form attached to the first post and send in your cheques.

v.ros`
14th June 2005, 12:29
Just curious.. but can i come in my 600..?

I am on my full and never heard of this course - thus me not doing it. DARN !

justsomeguy
14th June 2005, 12:44
Just curious.. but can i come in my 600..?

I am on my full and never heard of this course - thus me not doing it. DARN !

If there are places left which I shall confirm later this week then please do come along. If you read through this thread you'll notice that a few people have said that this course is meant for everybody. Including Frosty who is one of the most experienced rider/track racer out here said so.

pyrocam
14th June 2005, 18:05
Im booked in and amped for the 19th. that scared me for a sec but checked the email from peggy.

Cmon guys, get those cheques in!

pyrocam
14th June 2005, 18:06
thought,
I can carry a lpg bottle (a small one) in my bag. does anyone have one of those tiny portable bbq's that we could take along for a bbq lunch?

justsomeguy
16th June 2005, 12:14
Meet at Shell Westgate at 8am on the Sunday

Here's a map

And a link to the calendar section (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=505&day=2005-6-19)

See you'll there,

Remember to bring your lunch

Check your oil level, wear full gear, check your tyres, coolant level and gas up your bike:niceone:

pyrocam
16th June 2005, 19:23
Good on ya justsomeguy. Ill see you there eh :)
nice map

Sparky
16th June 2005, 19:28
[QUOTE=justsomeguy]Meet at Shell Westgate at 8am on the Sunday

Well no sleep in then ay. CYA there matey. :niceone:

surfchick
16th June 2005, 20:02
hey
any spots on this weeken'ds course..or me too late seeing the post?

R6_kid
16th June 2005, 21:07
i'll be in to get you guys lunch from the bakery if u want, i'll put a pricelist up 2mro. :niceone:

justsomeguy
16th June 2005, 21:42
hey
any spots on this weeken'ds course..or me too late seeing the post?

I think there should be a place. Will confirm by tomorrow night.

Please keep your day free.

justsomeguy
16th June 2005, 21:44
[QUOTE=justsomeguy]Meet at Shell Westgate at 8am on the Sunday

Well no sleep in then ay. CYA there matey. :niceone:

Well we will be leaving there by 8:30 - so if we can all meet by 8 then everyone will have time to do a last minute gas-up and tyre pressure check.

justsomeguy
16th June 2005, 21:44
i'll be in to get you guys lunch from the bakery if u want, i'll put a pricelist up 2mro. :niceone:

God Bless you son :not:

justsomeguy
17th June 2005, 21:23
:banana:Two places left:banana:

:banana:Two places left:banana:

justsomeguy
17th June 2005, 21:34
Bump -- come on 2 places - Surfchick you still in??

johnny
17th June 2005, 22:56
I wil try to make it at 8am!! h :ride: ahah See u guys there!!

placidfemme
18th June 2005, 11:21
Meet at Shell Westgate at 8am on the Sunday

Here's a map

And a link to the calendar section (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=505&day=2005-6-19)

See you'll there,

Remember to bring your lunch

Check your oil level, wear full gear, check your tyres, coolant level and gas up your bike:niceone:

Hiya

On the confirmation e-mail they sent me they said to meet at the Bus Stop by the main sentry gate off Brighams Creek Road near Pinepac Timber and Hardware...

Should we go there or meet where you've said?

justsomeguy
18th June 2005, 17:06
Hiya

On the confirmation e-mail they sent me they said to meet at the Bus Stop by the main sentry gate off Brighams Creek Road near Pinepac Timber and Hardware...

Should we go there or meet where you've said?

Well it's up to you really....... in the map I have attached to this thread you can see where we will be meeting. where brighams cr rd is, etc - and where the Whenuapai base it.

We will be leaving the petrol pump at 8:30 sharp and will reach the base by 8:40(ish)......

See you tomorrow.

justsomeguy
18th June 2005, 20:49
Still got a place left maybe two...... Surfchick.... just turn up and pay on the day

And anyone else?? I can take maximum 2 people.

Sutage
18th June 2005, 21:09
Is anyone coming from out west? Or what are directions?

justsomeguy
18th June 2005, 22:06
There are maps posted matey ...

Basically get on to SH16 and ride towards Westgate - or OPPOSITE to the city.

Ride till the end of SH16 turn left and in about 2 mins you'll see a shell. Just pull in there.

Or if you are late: Ride till the end of SH16 towards Westgate - TURN RIGHT at the end of the motorway - the road ends - you have to turn left or right - look at the map - SO TURN RIGHT and ride till you see Trig Rd TO YOUR LEFT turn down and follow the road.

Have a look at the attached maps - go to the first post.

Alternatively go to www.wises.co.nz (http://www.wises.co.nz) and search for Trid Rd Whenuapai

The Airbase is also the aerodrome - and the place is as big as Green Bay - it's HUGE.

justsomeguy
18th June 2005, 22:08
Oh yeah - meet at shell Westgate at 8am. Depart at 8:30am

Zed
19th June 2005, 06:12
Hope you all get a fine day for it and learn heaps!! May pop over and spectate for a while if time allows. :cool:

justsomeguy
19th June 2005, 06:40
Morning everyone see you'll at 8:ride:

You're up early big fella:yes: ...

Ixion
19th June 2005, 10:43
Tis a beautiful day, have a really good day guys and gals.

Learn stuff and HAVE FUN.

:ride: :2thumbsup

EDIT: Yeah I realise you won't see this until it's over. But you know what I mean.

R6_kid
19th June 2005, 13:53
sorry i wasnt able to do the lunch thing this week. Got overly cheerful at friends house warming and didnt come to til 11am :nono:

If the 26th one goes ahead i'll definitely do it though. I got the price list ready to go.

pyrocam
19th June 2005, 15:46

the day was awesome. we went home early but JUSTSOMEGUY, PuffDiddy? and Im sorry I forget yourname and Me went for a ride up north afterward.

just outside the gates we chatted about where we were to go and luckily someone had som rubbish to dispose of because I offered my backpack only I had left it at the base :weird: whoops.

Beaut weather, very educational, good ride afterwards.

Edit: removed some stuff. will talk about it later. but you know why, and if you dont, then dont worry :(

justsomeguy
19th June 2005, 15:52
Awesome day and a great ride afterwards. The course got cut short in half due to an incident which will be described by the people involved...

But apart from that it was an awesome day. And everyone learnt something.

pyrocam
19th June 2005, 16:01
Awesome day and a great ride afterwards. The course got cut short in half due to an incident which will be described by the people involved...

But apart from that it was an awesome day. And everyone learnt something.

yeah it was a good ride with you man. especially the last little spin down the NW, if it wasnt so incredibly dangerous and stupid I would have played Tag.

what was the girls name? i forget it

R6_kid
19th June 2005, 16:07
just so you guys know Lars (the instructor) is fine and recovering. I showed up at 2.30 to see what was happening but it had all been packed up for reasons already explained. The bike was in the back of the forbes and davies van last time i saw it. Hope the rider is ok.

Whats happening with next weekend?

pyrocam
19th June 2005, 16:09
just so you guys know Lars (the instructor) is fine and recovering. I showed up at 2.30 to see what was happening but it had all been packed up for reasons already explained. The bike was in the back of the forbes and davies van last time i saw it. Hope the rider is ok.

Excellent glad to here that. yeah might go for a ride, practice some more that I learnt. pity we didnt have firefights number (see post http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=266648&postcount=3) which would have been handy.

I got some pics after the cats outa the bag

justsomeguy
19th June 2005, 16:23
yeah it was a good ride with you man. especially the last little spin down the NW, if it wasnt so incredibly dangerous and stupid I would have played Tag.

Heheh enjoyed it... I do it a lot actually:weird: ...especially if the motorway gets crowded... it's even more fun as the cages have limited space to move - so less variables for you to worry about.

Oye - you passing that red Honda Accord before Unitec?? Whats up with that wrong move buddy:nono: Last time you do that eh:yes:

justsomeguy
19th June 2005, 16:27

Well of the 20+ who wanted to come 14 ?? - 15 came and the others were busy.

So I don't think there will be a next week.... don't have the numbers yet.... apart from other things...

The next course date is the regular 3rd Sunday of the month.

Sorry I couldn't meet you. Maybe at another KB ride.:yes:

I hope they are OK too.

pyrocam
19th June 2005, 16:34
Heheh enjoyed it... I do it a lot actually:weird: ...especially if the motorway gets crowded... it's even more fun as the cages have limited space to move - so less variables for you to worry about.

Oye - you passing that red Honda Accord before Unitec?? Whats up with that wrong move buddy:nono: Last time you do that eh:yes:

yeah man, its a bike lane. but the fucker made it hard for me, he moved over to the left.
I thought you where about to pass on the right so I was being sneaky, and pretty stupid. :clap:

justsomeguy
19th June 2005, 16:38
yeah man, its a bike lane. but the fucker made it hard for me, he moved over to the left.
I thought you where about to pass on the right so I was being sneaky, and pretty stupid. :clap:

Yes - cycle lane - not motorcycle lane.......and none of these stupid cagers know that anyway......:weird:

Don't do that -- never:nono: or overtake in those areas...

I used to do it a lot and almost got run over by an idiot who basically just missed a turn and decided to do an immediate U-turn....:weird: and I was overtaking on the flush median -- so I had clear space...and thought I was safe:no: ... managed to brake just in time....

Keystone19
19th June 2005, 16:38

what was the girls name? i forget it

That was me! :ride: Thanks for the ride guys. Catch you on another one soon.

justsomeguy
19th June 2005, 16:40
Excellent glad to here that. yeah might go for a ride, practice some more that I learnt. pity we didnt have firefights number (see post http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=266648&postcount=3) which would have been handy.

OK - FROSTY do you have a list of numbers/contacts we can call in case we need a bike to be picked up??

Is there such a list???

justsomeguy
19th June 2005, 16:43
That was me! :ride: Thanks for the ride guys. Catch you on another one soon.

Blaardy hell gurl ... you ride like a pro:ride: . Best lady rider I've seen with my own eyes from KB :Punk:

All that push-bike racing has given you great skills - awesome lines through corners and great smooth technique...noticed you hardly even used your brakes........:clap: :clap: :clap:

Top skills from a 6 week newbie:yes:

pyrocam
19th June 2005, 16:57
Blaardy hell gurl ... you ride like a pro:ride: . Best lady rider I've seen with my own eyes from KB :Punk:

All that push-bike racing has given you great skills - awesome lines through corners and great smooth technique...noticed you hardly even used your brakes........:clap: :clap: :clap:

Top skills from a 6 week newbie:yes:

Both 6 week noobie Riders where pretty top notch. I PuffDiddy's technique was pretty good too.

I promise I wont overtake like that again. unless I really want to :P

PuffMan
19th June 2005, 17:02

the day was awesome. we went home early but JUSTSOMEGUY, PuffDiddy? and Im sorry I forget yourname and Me went for a ride up north afterward.

just outside the gates we chatted about where we were to go and luckily someone had som rubbish to dispose of because I offered my backpack only I had left it at the base :weird: whoops.

Beaut weather, very educational, good ride afterwards.

Edit: removed some stuff. will talk about it later. but you know why, and if you dont, then dont worry :(

I believe thats 'PuffMan', I am not tanned enough nor rich enough to pull off a 'PuffDiddy' (not that I would want to anyway.....) Anyway shame about the day getting cut short but thanks for the scenic tour afterwards guys. Catch you next time. :2thumbsup

FROSTY
19th June 2005, 17:27
OK - FROSTY do you have a list of numbers/contacts we can call in case we need a bike to be picked up??

Is there such a list???
well there is but its on KB files.
As a rule Lil Toot is available for bike pickup 24/7 but just at the mo its in wellywood in the tender care of trashman.

pyrocam
19th June 2005, 18:14
I believe thats 'PuffMan', I am not tanned enough nor rich enough to pull off a 'PuffDiddy' (not that I would want to anyway.....) Anyway shame about the day getting cut short but thanks for the scenic tour afterwards guys. Catch you next time. :2thumbsup

ahh puff MAN

sorry dude!

yeah, see you on the next ride

johnny
19th June 2005, 20:39
Well .... i had a nice day today !! nice to meet you guys!!
see you guys next time!! :ride:

RON SOAK
19th June 2005, 22:18
Hey Guys I heard that it was an excellent course, but that there was an accident and a rider and a marshall were hurt. I hope they're OK - does anyone know how they are tonight? Did they stay in hospital or go home ? Hope the bike wasn't too damaged.
Will the course be re-held? I might go on it - if it is held again - for some more practice and skills development.

justsomeguy
19th June 2005, 22:23
Hey Guys I heard that it was an excellent course, but that there was an accident and a rider and a marshall were hurt. I hope they're OK - does anyone know how they are tonight? Did they stay in hospital or go home ? Hope the bike wasn't too damaged.
Will the course be re-held? I might go on it - if it is held again - for some more practice and skills development.

The course is held every 3rd Sunday of the month. I'd definitely recommend it as would a lot of people on this site and anybody who's heard of it.

8 hours of both theory and practical for $45 and you learn a ton of stuff...... just try and get a few hundred kms of open road riding before you take it - it's not mandatory but it helped me.....:yes:

pyrocam
19th June 2005, 22:35
I agree with justsomeguy. Its a top notch course. yes today some people were involved in an incident but the last I heard they were recovering. the bike is proberly not a write off but its munted. Im looking forward to his post to make sure he is ok before I post more about it.

guys this is an awesome course and I highly recommend it. I only did 1/2 a day and ive learnt heaps, i did 6000k before doing it and still felt like a noob.

you get a freakin runway to play on. (im sure indiana jones would love that :) )
Im going to the one in 1 month to finish the course. if anyone missed it, they might be able to squeeze in, PM me or better justsomeguy and we can email the co-ordinators.

otherwise your looking at an august course

Ixion
19th June 2005, 23:25
I agree with justsomeguy. Its a top notch course. yes today some people were involved in an incident but the last I heard they were recovering. the bike is proberly not a write off but its munted. ..

A little bird had already told Nana. Bit ironic I guess crashing on a safety course (and the instructor to boot) , but at any rate it wasn't on a public road.

Pity that it meant the course had to be cut short but I gather that everybody enjoyed themselves (well, the uncrashed people, anyway), and learned much. Which is good.

pyrocam
19th June 2005, 23:31
A little bird had already told Nana. Bit ironic I guess crashing on a safety course (and the instructor to boot) , but at any rate it wasn't on a public road.

Pity that it meant the course had to be cut short but I gather that everybody enjoyed themselves (well, the uncrashed people, anyway), and learned much. Which is good.

Nana? yeah I was PM'ing some people about the irony. was keeping it low down though since I thought it would be better to wait till he was ready/wanted to tell KB about it.

actually I didnt think about it at the time but someone suggested it and I hadnt thought about it.

lets just hope those guys come out good and like I was gonna post before, if anyone knows details ( I saw it, i mean which H and ward etc) can they PM me so I can go visit. cheers

SPman
20th June 2005, 06:35
Hey, where are the pics, the expose,the lurid handwringing posts about the realism of the course to bring home road safety?......

Sparky
20th June 2005, 07:35
Hey, where are the pics, the expose,the lurid handwringing posts about the realism of the course to bring home road safety?......

I have got some, just don't know if it is "right" to post them yet. :no:
Just hoping they are both OK, like to wait for the rider to post(soon I hope)
Anybody got an update on their condition??

placidfemme
20th June 2005, 08:10
Hey guys,

It was good meeting some you at the safety course... Unfortunate about the crash... but another good reason to keep an eye out for pedestrians (and kids and animals) seeing how bad they can get hurt even at low speeds... learnt more than I expected, even with only half the course finished.

Looking forward to finishing the course and meeting some more of you :)

johnny
20th June 2005, 12:00
How much is the basic handlying skill training/test?? I think its around $40(just test) ~$180(including 3~4 hrs training)....if you did that basic skill training i dont see a reason you say NO to this Ride Safe Course for only $45 (7hrs training)!!!

Half day.... i learned heaps things which i wasnt even thinking about b4 i attended the course.....I've only done 350Km b4 i attended.....

Hope they both recover ASAP ......

Keystone19
20th June 2005, 12:03
Hey Johnny

You were riding really well given that you'd only done 350km. See you out there sometime!

lia
31st December 2005, 09:12
any chance of this type of thing happening again in 06?

pyrocam
31st December 2005, 10:22
Hi lia.

the course isnt run by KB, its a course run by people out in whenuapai.

Look up their number (further up this forum somewhen) and ask when the next one is. most likely the third sunday of january.

there is also an entry form on this forum which you send off.

lia
31st December 2005, 11:13
cool, thx for the info.

pyrocam
31st December 2005, 19:40
if you need any help Lia just give me a buzz. I've been in contact with them on occasion.

point to note. be careful when its the instant counter steering time.,

justsomeguy
4th January 2006, 14:11
any chance of this type of thing happening again in 06?

http://www.bronz.org.nz/contacts.htm

Auckland Telephone: 09 638 9227

Finn Nielson is the man incharge.