PDA

View Full Version : slip on cans

Redstar
11th November 2003, 21:41
due to a couple of drops the can is shall we say looking a bit sad.
now its the original and has three bolts through a crome plate at the bottom end and I was contemplating undoing them and pulling off the can outer to reveal what?
I would expect some wadding, an inner baffel and thats it so then I can straighten the outer can and replace the wadding with fresh fibre glass and refit with a bit of gun gun to seal it.
there are six blind rivits either end of the can
I would like to drill them out and rotate the can 180 to get fresh metal on the outer face can you buy blind rivits and what kind of rivet gun do I need? I tried a breakers but the cans were either rubbish or inapropriate for my bike. any advice welcome

Kwaka-Kid
12th November 2003, 00:30
hey that sounds perfect Redstar... with my race muffler i put new 450mm, 44MM OD perferated pipe ($9) straight thru the middle, wrapped in 1 layer of proper muffler mat (around $20), and then 150g stainless steel mat around the outside of the mat/perf pipe... i rivited the pipe to the exit end of muffler.. so i then had like a lollipop... rammed it into the old mufflers outter shell/backpiece (still in tact) and just had to rivit the front piece which i too rotated till the holes were halfway between where they used to be... my race bike definatly does not sound loud (i think the quitest on the track!) but has certainly gotten the sound of that nice VFR400 engine out :) so yeah, just as a general cost thing i thought id post that for ya... oh and that 150g was a rip off of $30 i think @ geddes in onehunga..