PDA

View Full Version : KTM 990 SMT – Is it really a tourer?

Hitcher
2nd April 2010, 16:29
From the first time I saw the KTM 990 SMT in the flesh it and sat on one in a showroom, it intrigued me. KTM claim that it is a “tourer” but it looks more like a motard. So how then could it be described as a tourer?

It certainly appeared to meet some of the criteria of a tourer with its great ergonomics, weather protection and comfy seat. But for somebody who had previously racked up over 100,000km on a Honda ST1300 and a Yamaha FJR1300, it seemed to be missing something in the “tourer” department that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

Yet the more I thought about it, why couldn't a semi-naked litre bike make a great tourer? Yamaha's FZ1 Fazer has been doing this successfully for about a decade. And as an owner of an Aprilia SL750 Shiver for more than a year, I knew well that that bike turned its hand to touring very well indeed.

Rather than speculate endlessly, there was only one thing to do: take one for a test ride. The inimitable Stu at TSS Red Baron generously let me have his demonstrator overnight, “overnight” in this case being Good Friday with an opportunity to test the 990 SMT in a range of conditions, mostly two-up with the splendidly discerning Mrs H on the rear.

“Watch out for the snatchy throttle,” at least two staff at TSS Red Baron remarked before I rode off.

Tosh. I have no idea what their fears were. The injected fuelling on the 990 SMT is impeccably well behaved. The engine is a bit vibey if asked to roll on hard under 4,000rpm, and again over 7,000rpm. But in the 3,000rpm band in between it is very smooth and willing. Indeed with its six-speed gearbox and the realities of real world open road riding, this is never going to be a major issue. Four thousand rpm in top gear is about 115kmh.

One omission on the multi-function display is a gear position indicator. While I sort of got used to not having that info available, I believe that that information is nice to have on any bike with a six-speed gearbox.

The multi-function display combines an analogue tach with a digital LCD display for everything else. The information is easy to read but an area where KTM didn't devote the same attention to detail as they did to the rest of this excellent bike.

For example, there's no fuel gauge. No big deal really, as a bright orange low fuel light bursts into life with three litres of the 18 litre tank left to go, and a low fuel trip meter fires up in the odometer display at the same time. This happens at about 250km, so the 990 SMT isn't a dainty sipper.

The ambient temperature indicator is on the same scroll function as the odometer and dual trip meters. In other words you can't observe temperature or distance at the same time. That is odd, as there's plenty of space on the display to have the temperature showing all of the time, as happens on many other bikes with this function.

Resetting the trip meters is straightforward but, in the absence of an owner's handbook, I am completely bemused as to how to set the clock.

Another “interesting” attribute is that stopping the bike with its kill switch also kills the display. I struggle to see the logic for that feature.

The switch gear is solid, easy to use and in all the “usual” places. There's no hazard light function though, again an odd omission from a European bike. There's also no warning light for the side stand.

This is a tall bike, and one that shorties may struggle to ride. Being tall and with a V-twin engine, it offers excellent leg room for the taller rider. The bars are set slightly higher than I'm used to on my Shiver, yet still in a very neutral position.

The riding position and accoutrements for the pillion were pronounced entire satisfactory by my extremely discerning and practiced pillion. Hand grips of good substance and size in a convenient location, well positioned pegs and a nice comfy squab met with her pleasure. Indeed she remarked that unlike other bikes on which she had been the rearmost pilot, she could easily stand up on the pegs if she wanted to. From the rider's perspective, the pillion doesn't sit in snuggly behind. This means that it's easy to forget that there is one there, such being the rideability of the 990 SMT.

Weather protection for the rider comes from a stubby screen on a bikini front fairing and by plastic motocross style hand guards.

Screens have been the bane of my life. I suspect this is why I much prefer riding naked bikes. The KTM 990 SMT's screen is, however, better than many, including some of the electrically variable jobs found on the likes of the FJR and the Kawasaki Concours. There was a bit of helmet buffet in some wind conditions (it was blowing a gale coming back over the Rimutakas and riding down the Hutt Valley) and more helmet wind noise than I'm used to on the naked Shiver.

Brakes? One word: Brembo. Front and rear. Nice. Most nice indeed.

KTM hasn't stinted itself on some areas of the 990SMT's fit out. I've just mentioned the Brembo brakes. Marchesini rims, and a fully adjustable rear monoshock with external reservoir are also included. The USD front shocks are also adjustable for preload and rebound.

The handling of this bike is effortlessly superb. Indeed it's probably the best bike I've ever ridden in that regard. It is agile, predictable, and almost plush in its ride qualities. There's no weaving or wallowing. It corners like it's on rails, and that's with two people aboard. This reinforces my view that suspension is probably one of the most important attributes of a bike's performance. Yet, sadly, one where many manufacturers look first to cut costs.

Engine and gearbox combine perfectly. The shifter is slick and confident. The shift lever was set a bit high for my preference, but I suspect that that is easily remedied. On the other side, the rear brake lever was in exactly the right spot for my riding style.

So is this bike a tourer? Oh yes. The 990 SMT consumes highway of any type effortlessly and confidently. Its ergonomics mean both rider and pillion could put in a lot of serious saddle time and be largely untroubled by the experience. KTM makes soft luggage panniers for this bike that clip onto lugs preattached to the exhaust pipe heat shields. Givi also makes a full hard luggage system for the 990 SMT, which would be my preference.

That said, this bike is also “true” to KTM's reputation for making sporty bikes. It would be an outstandingly good one-up weekend “scratcher” and a most accomplished track bike, should one feel so inclined.

Apart from some finickety features, the KTM 990 SMT is a very sorted, albeit expensive, package.

Would I buy one? Yes.

pritch
2nd April 2010, 19:52
BIKE magazine reported that according to KTM the "T" stood for traveller, rather than tourer. They also said words to the effect that it still wasn't a practical bike, more a bonkers bike made somewhat useable.

All that aside, it was top of my "next bike" list for a while. Shame about the seat height. I never thought of myself as short until I first climbed onto a modern MotoX bike. I used to be 5'10" but these days I'm a probably a bit shorter and a fair bit wider.

KTMs are cool, they come standard with impressive stuff: WP, Brembo, and a price tag that looks like a telephone number...

Hitcher
2nd April 2010, 21:04
BIKE magazine reported that according to KTM the "T" stood for traveller, rather than tourer. They also said words to the effect that it still wasn't a practical bike, more a bonkers bike made somewhat useable.

I disagree. With hard luggage, the 990 SMT is definitely a tourer, no question.

pritch
3rd April 2010, 15:44
Interesting. KTM don't claim it's a tourer, and it isn't the first bike that springs to mind when you think of the word "tourer".
Electraglide or Goldwing maybe since Honda and Yamaha describe the ST1300 and FJR1300 respectively as "sports tourers".

You could tour a GN250 if you wished though, and the Yamaha XT 660 is one of the most popular choices for people off to travel the world, but neither of those bikes leaps to mind as a tourer. I'd tour my S4R but even Ducati don't claim that's a tourer.

I guess it just comes down to whether you're interested in a degree of precision in the use of the language. Or not?

Hitcher
3rd April 2010, 19:47
I guess it just comes down to whether you're interested in a degree of precision in the use of the language. Or not?

Electroglides and Goldwings aren't "tourers". They're luxobarges.

And I've owned an ST1300 and an FJR1300 and "toured" on both. With hard luggage fitted, the 990 SMT is just as capable of eating the kilometres with two people in similarly effortless comfort. I doubt that a GN250 or S4R could make a similar claim.

Or not.

98tls
3rd April 2010, 20:02
Nice looking bike for sure,have spent some time in the shop gazing lovingly at one myself,as for touring or what makes a good touring bike ive no idea really,have done the South Isle 2 up on the TL quite happily (so was she),these days there are so many labels for a bike its ridiculous really,if its of decent displacement then you can tour or anything else on it surely.

blackdog
3rd April 2010, 20:03
if ktm's 990sm is the super motard

and an st1300 is a sports tourer

then the smt is a super motard tourer.....
....obviously.

Hitcher
3rd April 2010, 20:06
if its of decent displacement then you can tour or anything else on it surely.

In the 990 SMT's case, it's the superb suspension, handling and cockpit comfort that makes the difference, rather than the displacement. That said, it's no slouch.

Gremlin
4th April 2010, 00:43
Good read Hitch, and I pretty much agree with you, as the shop gave me their demo as a loaner while my 08 SM was having chain and sprockets replaced (40k on the originals :D) I had to go digging re your Givi comments, but found it eventually. About damn time, I got the shop to modify some sv650 pannier racks instead over a year ago, but these may end up on the list.

The SMT is definitely more road biased than the SM, but that means the pitching and wallowing of the SM is gone (a common complaint, I have no troubles, its a supermoto for goodness sake) and the fueling is definitely better than the SM. Its that little bit better behaved all round, but I can't quite compare, as my SM has a race map, aftermarket pipes etc, so the response is noticeably sharpened in all areas. I did notice the wind noise around the screen, and with me being 6'3, I think large or smaller people wouldn't have a problem, but I was just at that height that it caught me. Performance... yes, it has plenty, even in stock tune, you give it enough throttle and it pours on the power no problem.

For those arguing about touring... Whats a tourer? A bike that allows you to see the country, eating up the distance with minimal effort. Now, its obviously not protected like a full dressed tourer such as the ST1300, but for big distances, easy handling can make touring a whole lot easier. These KTM's handle so easily, you use much less effort pushing the bike around, allowing you to do bigger distances with less energy or do what everyone else is, with less energy. I know of a fellow who's gone from a big BMW tourer to a KTM RC8R, because it handles so easily. I bought my SM in October 2008, and its clocked up more than 40,000km since (2x Cape Reinga, 2x South Island, 1x Bluff and most of the rest of the country). It isn't a daily commuter either, thats the hornet's job, at over 15,000km a year. Don't think I would want to commute either, its much to easy to do naughty things.

Now, if buying now... would I own a SM or SMT... Easiest answer is neither... I'd take my modified SM, as its a hybrid of the two plus custom work. The SMT has the kit like handguards, seat etc, but the SM has the long suspension which I really use down all the gravel roads and forests etc. Hitch, the fuel tank is 19L (for both models) and no, its not the greenest bike on the planet. That said, you could always stop twisting the throttle (not that I've managed yet). It also has two auxiliary circuits (at least the SM does) at 10A each, great for all the accessories.

Hitcher
4th April 2010, 13:56
It isn't a daily commuter either, thats the hornet's job, at over 15,000km a year.

I gave it a bit of round town slow running, and the only thing that surprised me was how hot it ran. The fan running was almost a permanent condition. Almost Buell-like...

No other worries though. It lane splits with the best of them.

george formby
4th April 2010, 14:16
Cheers for the post, the SMT is in my top 3 replacements for the TDM one day. I have toured on an ST1100, TDM 850 & 900. After a 700k day, riding into a strange European town & getting lost, the TDM's win hands down, so much more manageable when the brain & body are tired, almost as comfortable & much more fun on an Alp. It's good to know that I can get a bike which will scratch, tour, commute & be happy on the gravel when I have the moolah