PDA

View Full Version : New bike for me, Thinking upright but sporty

Joe Blogs
2nd April 2010, 19:03
Hi everyone, I'm trying to decide what will be my new bike, I want a upright sitting position, and big handle bars. Im thinking along the lines of Tuono R, Superduke R, Speed Triple, CB1000R, Brutale 750 etc. What is everyone's thoughts, what ones are good and what ones should I avoid?

Regards
JB

John_H
2nd April 2010, 19:26
Hi everyone, I'm trying to decide what will be my new bike, I want a upright sitting position, and big handle bars. Im thinking along the lines of Tuono R, Superduke R, Speed Triple, CB1000R, Brutale 750 etc. What is everyone's thoughts, what ones are good and what ones should I avoid?

Regards
JB

Bandit 1250?

Grumpy
2nd April 2010, 19:32
Wow. Nice list there. All awesome bikes. All fit into the category you've targeted but bring different things to the table. I don't think there is a bad one in the bunch but you need to ride them all to get a real feel. My pick of the bunch would be Speed Triple.

blackdog
2nd April 2010, 19:34
superduke!!!

or hypermotard? or dorsoduro?

nah.......superduke!!!!

yachtie10
2nd April 2010, 19:45
dont forget the yamaha fazer
or the bandit 1250 (but im biased)

Hitcher
2nd April 2010, 21:12
An Aprilia SL750 Shiver, but not the 2008 model year.

If you've got deeper pockets, the KTM 990 SMT.

Joe Blogs
3rd April 2010, 18:40
Thanks for the feed back, im still trying to decide, been warned off the MV's due to electric problems. I'm leaning towards either a superduke R or a tuono R. Let me know if anyone has one for sale or coming up forsale.

Cheers
JB

Gwinch
3rd April 2010, 18:41
Test ride them all but my money is on the CB1000R, definitely.

Armitage Shanks
3rd April 2010, 19:12
Thanks for the feed back, im still trying to decide, been warned off the MV's due to electric problems. I'm leaning towards either a superduke R or a tuono R. Let me know if anyone has one for sale or coming up forsale.

Cheers
JB

If HD or Apprilia or Ducati made aircraft ...............hmmmm, would you fly in them ?

Hitcher
3rd April 2010, 19:42
If HD or Apprilia or Ducati made aircraft ...............hmmmm, would you fly in them ?

Yes. You just wouldn't know how high you were or how fast you were going, that's all.

Bikemad
3rd April 2010, 20:01
buy em all...............

SPP
3rd April 2010, 20:07
Whoa, I'm envious.

Try PM'ing Boomer. He has a SDR that was up for sale a little while back. He spends more time floating around in his boat than riding so may be motivated.

blackdog
3rd April 2010, 20:07
Yes. You just wouldn't know how high you were or how fast you were going, that's all.

well, you'd be high anyway...

doc
3rd April 2010, 20:11
been warned off the MV's due to electric problems.

Cheers
JB

Who told you that? :shifty:

miloking
3rd April 2010, 22:41

And you also wounldnt know what are those strange metalic noises coming from engines :D

Joe Blogs
4th April 2010, 11:27
Who told you that? :shifty:

Ha, my local mechanic, he said he has had issues with them.

Cheers for the feed back everyone.

My biggest problem is test riding them all as first of all I live in Nelson and second of all I'm only 21 so people tend not to trust me and dont think I have the money.

Cheers
JB

marty
4th April 2010, 11:39
Tuono R. Not a bad review out there that I could find - I ended up with a Hayabusa, but the Aprilia was a near-purchase

BuzzardNZ
4th April 2010, 11:44
If you want brutal power with a mean v twin sound, look out for a Suzuki TLS 1000. These things turn heads, however, does come with the nickname 'widow maker' !

YellowDog
4th April 2010, 11:50

Regards
JB

I had similar buying criteria.

I went for a Tiger 1050.

No regrets at all :)

Blackbird
4th April 2010, 12:07
You can get a brand new Street Triple for $15000. Coming from an 1100, I was staggered at just how good these bikes are. Comparison here: http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2010/01/street-triple-vs-blackbird-some.html

DMNTD
4th April 2010, 12:33

Regards
JB

MV Brutale...
First of all I wouldn't recommend the Brutale 750...if going alone those lines definitely go for the 910R. I had ZERO electrical problems with mine and was a fucking hoot to ride on the road but far better on the track.
Do watch out for the rear wheel bearings!! SERIOUS! They tend to fail around the 12,000km mark or even sooner if some Muppet over tightens the chain...or leaves it too loose.
How tall are you? I'm 6' and have to admit I found the peg potion quite aggressive unless I was hanging off it at the track.

BTW...I've ridden the new 1078 Brutale...OMFG!!!!!! :love::gob:

Typical road riding... 7/10
Spirited road riding... 9/10
Track riding... 10/10 IMO
Fun factor... 9/10

KTM Superdukes...
Have had an '05 and also an '07 SD-R.
If you have a lil' bit of mongrel in you...be aware!!!! They are a FUCKING BLAST of a bike!
The sound through some Akro's or similar is simply insane!! You will have issues controlling your demeanor due to its wicked handling through twisties...the look of sports bike riders' faces when you hand it to them is superb!
Be well warned that the seat on the SD-R is like a fucking brick! I recommend going for the 'standard' model from '07 onwards and the tank on the earlier model is good for 180kms or around the 70km mark if ya being a total nutter.

Typical road riding... 8/10
Spirited road riding... 10/10 IMO
Track riding... 9.5/10
fun factor...way to high to be calculated!!!!!!! :Punk:

Aprilia Tuono...

I've prolly only ever done 600-800kms on one TBH but have to admit compared to the above two bikes, it is a 'nicer' all round road bike.
Simply re gear it (-1 front sprocket) and you have one VERY cool, funky,well handling street bike!
Have owned a RSVR Factory and can say that those motors can handle some SERIOUS abuse.

Re the Blade (or any other Jap 1000cc)...loads of fun...only if you're fanging it.
I personally gain far more giggles out of an up-right naked with a nice set of pipes on it at a lower speed but hey, each to their own. :yes:

The one thing I recommend is to work out what exactly you want to do on your bike.
What's the most important feature of a bike to you

Blackbird
4th April 2010, 12:41
I personally gain far more giggles out of an up-right naked with a nice set of pipes on it at a lower speed but hey, each to their own. :yes:

The one thing I recommend is to work out what exactly you want to do on your bike.
What's the most important feature of a bike to you[/B]

Absolutely spot on:Punk:. The Striple made me realise that the only real fun I had on the 'bird after 8 years of ownership was at license loss speeds. The Striple is a real hoot at saner speeds and although I didn't anticipate it at the time, it's actually rejuvenated my enthusiasm for riding.

DMNTD
4th April 2010, 12:55
Absolutely spot on:Punk:. The Striple made me realise that the only real fun I had on the 'bird after 8 years of ownership was at license loss speeds. The Striple is a real hoot at saner speeds and although I didn't anticipate it at the time, it's actually rejuvenated my enthusiasm for riding.

Indeed sir...indeed :yes:

LOL...oooops forgot to mention the Triumphs! Have sold these before so have ridden both the Speed and S'triple on numerous occasions.

Personally I preferred the Speed due to its torque as I like roll on power when road riding.
Both seem to have serious issues with their front wheels staying on the road, I mean what's with that :shifty:
Interestingly I found that I had 'better' leg room on the S'triple but found it ran out of 'yee ha' up top. Obviously this would be a non issue if one was not looking for a yee ha power delivery.

Oh and the Shiver...extreme value for money at the moment! Throw a pair of GPR pipes at one and you have a yum sounding machine.
Depends on how assertive you prefer to ride, you may want to upgrade the suspension especially if over the 90kg mark.

Seek out the 'giggle factor ™'

george formby
4th April 2010, 13:42
I spent a summer "borrowing" a Tuono. Loved it, great handling & glorious motor. I'm 6'2 & it was far more comfortable for me than a typical sprot bike. Can be ridden like a supermoto on steroids if the urge takes you.
I had a look at a couple of triumphs last weekend, 675 street & the 1050. Came with akrapovics & all the bling. One of them had ohlins suspension, both less than $14k. Oooh, the temptation.

marty
4th April 2010, 20:55
If you want brutal power with a mean v twin sound, look out for a Suzuki TLS 1000. These things turn heads, however, does come with the nickname 'widow maker' !

I'm not sure the TL could ever be accused of having brutal power. Plenty, yes, brutal, no. Enough? No way. The striple eats the TL in those stakes.

Gremlin
5th April 2010, 00:29
as Dmntd said, what will you use it for? Superduke is good fun, but found it a pain in traffic with heavy clutch. Speed Triple, didn't like the suspension or handling. Ended up with a KTM 990 SM. What's your budget?

nallac
5th April 2010, 08:10
You could a Cr Buell to the list..if ya can find one.

boomer
5th April 2010, 11:21
u can buy mine if you come up with a proper offer....

and i cant be arsed doing any leg work, you want it or you don't

mulletman
5th April 2010, 16:48
How about a B King ? Cheap as at the moment $16250 with Yoshi pipes from Avoncity Suzuki Ch Ch, bulletproof , easy as to ride fast or slow comfy as and GRUNTY, loads of torque.

Joe Blogs
5th April 2010, 17:03
Hey, loving the feed back. Really just want it for sunday rides, blatting around the twistys and the odd tour to ch ch etc.

Not really big on commuting any more after my younger days of having only bikes and no car.

B king is to big, I want something that I can throw around easy enough. Buell well... cant really say I'm a fan of Harleys.

Grumpy
5th April 2010, 17:20
B king is to big, I want something that I can throw around easy enough.

Take one for a ride. You will be surprised. They don't ride as big as they look .... if that makes any sense :wacko:. However, they are an aquired taste in the looks department but I was surprised how it did look better after riding it. It certainly left an impression.

nsrpaul
6th April 2010, 19:59
just get a 690 duke, heaps of fun and who needs comfort, power and reliability

thats for sisies

The Stranger
6th April 2010, 20:16
Take one for a ride. You will be surprised.

I got to wonder just what you are comparing it to?
Haven't ever ridden one, but been at puke with 3 of them on various occasions.
Even when they have bits scraping you can go around them on the Fazer, and the Fazer is wide and low.
Not knocking the bike, different strokes for different folks, great for towing the boat I'm sure. But throwing them around? I don't think so.

Fatjim
6th April 2010, 20:41
Mate, its gonna have to come down to giggle factor (thand DMNTD) and comfort. The Tuono is a sweet handling bike, but with work most of those listed are fine. I tried a few of those listed, but the leg room of the later tunono's is fantastic, along with great clearance (important for those with size 49 boots), handling and the biggest grin of those I tried made me buy it.

But test ride them all, they're all close enough to come down to a test ride.

nallac
6th April 2010, 20:46
Buell well... cant really say I'm a fan of Harley.

Most Buell owners aren't either....

Sensei
6th April 2010, 21:13
Just finished reading a Brit Mag on a shoot out on pretty much all the above bikes & the Tuono standard model not the full Factory model Won the shoot out ahead of the Superduke R in second place which they said if track stuff was your thing then this was the Tool for the job if road & track was where you wanted to do it then Tuono all the way

boomer
7th April 2010, 18:11
Just finished reading a Brit Mag on a shoot out on pretty much all the above bikes & the Tuono standard model not the full Factory model Won the shoot out ahead of the Superduke R in second place which they said if track stuff was your thing then this was the Tool for the job if road & track was where you wanted to do it then Tuono all the way

The Super duke r hit number 8 in the top 100 bikes this year.. the Tuono wasn't top 10 au. fan bois, i dunno :shake:

Sensei
7th April 2010, 21:42
To be fair have read 6 Mag's that have all rated different bikes as the best in their class so really it comes down to which Mag ya read that favours your band I guess or theirs . Have ridden bikes that don't even get close to the top Hundy that I would rate above alot that are on there . Wouldn't say no to a KTM , but know personally what punishment a Aprilia motor can take & keep doing it everyday so will trust what has proven itself for over 12ys over a new comer till they have stood the test of time .

SPP
7th April 2010, 21:45
The Super duke r hit number 8 in the top 100 bikes this year..

Knowing you, you'll get an itch the moment you sell it and then what? Keep your toys Boomer.... or sell it to ME at the end of the year. I'd even let you sit on it in the car park... when you've done cooking me them eggs.

*edit* pulling your toggle mate. The SD-R is one hell of a bike. Aprilia's are good (and I know you like 'em!) but the SD-R is a Hooligan.

Coyote
7th April 2010, 21:57
I don't suggest the Tuono if you want to ride sensibly.

puddytat
7th April 2010, 22:38
Mate, take a day off work,take yer Ninja to Chch for a final thrash & when you rock up to the shops yourve previously rung in yer sexy Beriks , them fellas will take you VERY seriously.....:yes:

boomer
8th April 2010, 18:39
To be fair have read 6 Mag's that have all rated different bikes as the best in their class so really it comes down to which Mag ya read that favours your band I guess or theirs . Have ridden bikes that don't even get close to the top Hundy that I would rate above alot that are on there . Wouldn't say no the a KTM , but know personally what punishment a Aprilia motor can take & keep doing it everyday so will trust what has proven itself for over 12ys over a new comer till they have stood the test of time .

i still love you bro, ginger and all. I'm a secret 'prilla fan boi myself :drool:

Knowing you, you'll get an itch the moment you sell it and then what? Keep your toys Boomer.... or sell it to ME at the end of the year. I'd even let you sit on it in the car park... when you've done cooking me them eggs.

*edit* pulling your toggle mate. The SD-R is one hell of a bike. Aprilia's are good (and I know you like 'em!) but the SD-R is a Hooligan.

Well after the run in with piggy tonight im thinking i should buy GIVE you the bike and start walking.. coppers keep frowning on me pulling wheelies for some reason :scratch: Officer dribble strikes again!

As for cooking you some eggs, for the right price i'll fertilize 'em for ya ! :buggerd:

DMNTD
8th April 2010, 19:59
Well after the run in with piggy tonight im thinking i should buy GIVE you the bike and start walking...

I'm here for ya wigga!! Would be a laugh owning that bike for a 3rd time!

Joe Blogs
8th April 2010, 20:53
Mate, take a day off work,take yer Ninja to Chch for a final thrash & when you rock up to the shops yourve previously rung in yer sexy Beriks , them fellas will take you VERY seriously.....:yes:

Hey, Ninja is sold, it went Tuesday so now really itching to get a new bike, there is a Tuono local but from what I've herd of the guy, I wont be test riding it.

As for my sexy leathers they are IXON's not Beriks, they fitted me better (tall and slim). Maybe I could be like the stig and just walking in there all kitted out and just stare at them until they give me the keys to test ride their bikes. :shifty:

Joe Blogs
8th April 2010, 21:03
Now just to expand on this, I now pose the question.....

Tuono R or .... Tuono R Factory..................

nsrpaul
8th April 2010, 21:16
left field idea?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Tourers/auction-234799481.htm

Sensei
8th April 2010, 22:29
[QUOTE=Joe Blogs;Now just to expand on this, I now pose the question.....

Tuono R or .... Tuono R Factory.............

Both great bikes but of course the Ohlins set up will cost more but give you more in return , same as a KTM will with their White Power suspenion .

Joe Blogs
9th April 2010, 16:12
Do you think its worth the extra 3 or so grand tho?

DMNTD
9th April 2010, 16:26
Do you think its worth the extra 3 or so grand tho?

...if the extra $3,000 isn't going to completely break the bank....HELL YES!
The 'wank factor' alone makes it worth while ;)

Usarka
9th April 2010, 16:29
Go the factory. Nothing like a quick wank!

DesmoDAZ
20th April 2010, 21:42
Doooonnnnnn'TTTTT buy a Bandit, they are just plain ol boring, they are like a early 90's commodore, they get you there but thats about it.
The KTM 990 SMR is superb.
The KTM Super Duke is superb
The KTM 990 adventurer is also superb.
BMW, nice enough but they have a real boring power curve.
The Aprilia Doso is unproven but on paper and in the flesh look to be PBG Pretty Bloody Good
The new 2010 Multistrada would be the best, looks way better than it predessor and with the big 1198 mill at 150hp, optional luggage, traction control, ohlins, etc etc
To each their own, think about your needs, the useage, the k's you will do, 2 up riding etc.
The Mv's are very very nice and boy do those engines pull, like a school boy! LOL2
If I had the $$$ it would be the sports touring option on the 2010 mulitstrada 150 hp and stage 3 DTC (Black)
I have spoken to owners of the Quaka 1400 concourse and they just love them, big bike, big power.
You luck guy, youll make the right decision.

jim1050
25th April 2010, 22:58
take a new triumph Tiger for a blast

Winston001
25th April 2010, 23:53
Nice list of bikes you are looking at. You live in Nelson so consider this: how many MV, Aprilia and KTM mechanics work locally?? Very few if any. Yes you can go to Christchurch but that's a 5 hour drive, not exactly convenient when you need it.

The one marque missing from your list is Ducati. These bikes are popular enough for most mechanics to have seen them so servicing and repairs isn't an issue. IMHO you should add the Ducati Multistrada. In fact here's one in Christchurch http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Tourers/auction-283974185.htm. Just what you want, upright position, plenty of power, reliable.

nsrpaul
26th April 2010, 20:58
the polite thing to do would be to update this thread with some photos of the flash new ride (not duke 3 flash, but cool all the same)

Batcerb
6th May 2010, 17:04
Hes too busy trying to decide if hes going to man up and gut those end cans .....

<_<

Rogue Rider
6th May 2010, 17:30

Regards
JB

Go for a Triumph Speed Triple, I have had heaps of bikes, and this one takes the prize for fun, wheelie and fast fun factor. It's naked, grunge and very mean looking. Handles superbly and very fuel efficient, and best of all great resale value unlike some of the other sports bikes.
Also the Daytona's are nice, but the upright ride position of the speed triple is fantastic, sports bike but no back issues.