PDA

View Full Version : METHVEN (a very short swansong!)

SWERVE
4th April 2010, 11:19
This was to be my last race............ having decided to concentrate on managing my young lad and knowing the 675 was getting tired (21000kms 7000+ on track and never even had the top off)
The weather was perfect. Got here earlyish set up and went for a jog around the track. Had done plenty of laps in the van over the past few weeks but the straw bales seemed to line most of the track and had severly altered corner angles and made an already narrow street even narrower.
Every corner except the esses was blind due to its angle and the very high straw bales.
Noted all the draincovers - tar seal repairs etc and returned to my pit with the comment" there will be a few incidents today")
Formula Methven was the last class out so during practice i watched from all corners to see if my first impressions for lines was correct......... 90% right so adjusted my track map and awaited my turn.
Had gone for a really high gearing set up as this was all about "point & squirt" Only needed to use 2nd & 3rd gear on whole lap. And front wheel spent most of time in the air so no probs with front tyre wear.
Practice came around and we all eagerly set off........... couple of siting laps and its time to up the pace. Grip was very good and with the gearing meant that i always had good drive. On about lap 5 i came up behing 2 bikes going into the esses (and as this was the only corner you could see thru) i decided to "squirt" up the inside on the exit and get infront before the next left hander.
Just as i opened the throttle to make the pass the guy infront (still haven,t found out who... hope pics will tell) also decided to make the same move.............. he had no idea i was there and closed what was already a very tight gap. I backed off ......touched the front brake (MISTAKE) touched his rear wheel and GOOD NIGHT VIENNA.
Remember hitting the deck and due to the abrasive surface not sliding but gripping and thinking (F**K that hurt) Then i felt a second impact and the felling of being squashed and flashes of blue & white thru my visor (which had been knocked off) I remember thinking hey whats blue and white on MY bike!!!!!!
When it all stopped i knew i was ok but unable to move as there was a bike on top of me and it was getting very heavy and HOT. My neck was twisted and was finding it hard to breath.......squeaked at the marshalls to lift off the bike but they wouldnt do it untill St Johns arrived (not what i wanted to hear but correct procedure as it was on my neck/head.
Luckily the ambo was just across the road and they soon got there. They took the weight of the bike and told me to lie still............ but i was out of there like a snake on acid. Feeling very groggy i had a sit in the ambo and the girls were very good and very thorough. They patched my up took details and told me to come back if i needed anything (Thanks girls)
Turns out that my bike had slid down the road on the left side and i had exited stage right over the tank.......... and the guy behind Bryan Hill on a SV had done everything he could to avoid us but the track being so narrow didnt give him many options and his bike ended up on top of me. That explained the blue and white!
Judging by the rear wheel shaped briuse on my shoulder today and the SV exhaust shaped burn to my neck (how did that managed to find the only exposed flesh) i was under his bike and thats why it was getting HOT!
Looked like i saved his bike from any major cosmetic damage by cushioning its landing(im a nice guy aren,t i) but somehow his forks were bent either by impacting my bike as it has a lot of rear damage or by me & his bike hitting the straw bales.
The bike was repairable............. but i was feeling very worse for wear and my thumb had started to swell up so i parked it. Not the swansong i had in mind as i didnt make it past the first verse.

However we had a BRILLIANT day......... the event had plenty of incidents (as i predicted) most minor ......... one not so minor i believe..... but for a first attempt at a street meeting and a new venue with a small club i thought it was a real success. Everyoe i spoke to had a great day.
The day was not in vain as the team managed to pick up another sponsor for Ants on the RG & SV thanks Aaron.
BIG WELL DONE TO CAMS - METHVEN LIONS- ALL VOLENTEERS- EVERYBODY INVOLVED TAKE A BOW.
PS............. It was worth the entry fee just to watch Ryan Hampton on the Honda 1000......proving you dont need a motard to slide and wheelie you way around a street circuit.......... CMON HONDA YOU NEED THIS LAD ON YOUR TEAM.

wharfy
4th April 2010, 15:07
Bugger ...
I guess this means you will have to have another "swan song" ?

The bike was repairable............. but i was feeling very worse for wear and my thumb had started to swell up so i parked it. Not the swansong i had in mind as i didnt make it past the first verse.

These guy's have good stuff at good prices

http://houseofcustom.co.nz/xtcommerce/product_info.php?info=p418_HRT1-REAR-SUB-FRAME--for-TRIUMPH-DAYTONA-675--year-06---07.html&XTCsid=ldji0rh0eam7fps5hbpr1n0vt4

Bad luck, good write up.....

SWERVE
4th April 2010, 16:20
No that was the swansong Wharfy (although pre 89 looked a good crack yesterday)
The 675 was gonna be pulled apart after this anyway (just a few more bits now) was hoping to be able to strip it still running to see what sort of wear has taken place so can still do that.
The bike will live again gonna build it with a the "right" bits this time............. young Ants will inherit it as a fully speced 600 production bike................ aim is 130 reliable rwhp and 155kg weight. So now i am on the trail of like minded people who want to see TRIUMPH on the top of the 600 pile. I could never take it there but my lad CAN.

slowpoke
4th April 2010, 17:38
OUCH! Tuff way to bow out but at least you went out with a bang not a whimper....you didn't whimper did you? Sorry, crashing sux I know. Yep, Ryan Hampton is a very exciting young prospect for the future.

SWERVE
4th April 2010, 19:38
No whimpering from this camp mate. Get up ................ get on with it.......... its a dangerous sport.........thats why its sooooooooooooooooooo addictive

wharfy
4th April 2010, 19:51
No whimpering from this camp mate. Get up ................ get on with it.......... its a dangerous sport.........thats why its sooooooooooooooooooo addictive

I whimper a bit when no one is around....
...and when I see the price of parts :weep:

Peter Smith
5th April 2010, 13:11
Every corner except the esses was blind due to its angle and the very high straw bales.

From the photo's even the inside of the corners had high hay bails. Is that wise, as the riders are blind to whats ahead.
At Paeroa they had a single level of hay bales on the inside of the corners.

SWERVE
5th April 2010, 18:21
Totally agree mate. Tall bales on the inside was not good. A few incidents could have been avoided if the rider behind could see over the bale. Some of the flags werent out quick enough for a following rider to see. but its their first attempt ..........they know there is a lot of room for improvement next time........ and they are welcoming feedback.
As far as i am concerned to make it even happen was a miracle..........to improve it is the easy bit.
but i am biased cos i just love streetracing (bike racing in its purest form)

JMemonic
5th April 2010, 18:47
Totally agree mate. Tall bales on the inside was not good. A few incidents could have been avoided if the rider behind could see over the bale. Some of the flags werent out quick enough for a following rider to see. but its their first attempt ..........they know there is a lot of room for improvement next time........ and they are welcoming feedback.
As far as i am concerned to make it even happen was a miracle..........to improve it is the easy bit.
but i am biased cos i just love streetracing (bike racing in its purest form)

As a spectator I had a blast but felt the marshalling could certainty be improved on, there seemed to be a lack of flags, and one incident I observed the flag marshal walked away from a corner where a rider was down to deal with some person on the other side of the road, (who was safe where they were in my opinion and there was someone else on hand to deal with), leaving the corner unattended, and yes another bike did collide with the downed bike.

As you said "they know there is room for improvement" and a certainly hope they do run the event again and manage to get the nuts and bolts sorted out. It takes experience that can only be gained from running events like this to work out what works right.

There is one other suggestion I would make and hopefully someone reading this can pass it to the right people, its to do with the ambulance. I think the ambulance should have open access to the track instead of having to move spectators and open a gate to get out, a caged area, near where the one by the commentary truck was with a marshal and quick to move barrier, it might seem a small thing but there was a delay in getting these folks onto the track that I felt was avoidable.

SWERVE
6th April 2010, 06:06
you were not the only person to comment on that incident with the flaggie leaving their post......... think it was the horrible turn 1 eh! I think a racer jumped in and grabbed the flag in the end.
You have a good piont with the ambo........... although where it was situated in the dummy grid should have been ok as long as the marshall on that point was alert. Remember you cant just have the ambo driving onto track as soon as they hear of an incident.........they have to be directed on when it is safe for them to proceed and not contribute to another accident......... but it sometimes feels like ages.........it did when i was lying under the bike on saturday.........and i was nearest the ambo station. Will pass on comments and glad you had a great day.

tedtanz
6th April 2010, 13:14
Hi there, I was fella on the blue/white bike who used you as a bike stand at Methven. Hope you are doing ok. My hip is giving me a hard time but other than that I was pleased to walk away ok. It is a bugger that this was going to be your last race for a while, shit way to finish up. I had only just spent a bunch of time getting mine ready for the years racing. Bugger. Thems the breaks! I have some very good footage of the crash on my helmet cam if you are keen to see it. Cheers Bryan aka TED.

SWERVE
6th April 2010, 18:41
hi Ted............. seen some after incident video and some pics but would like to see my final bow(or leap) from your angle. Sorry i caused you to crash as the guy i actually hit carried on ok.. mail me the footage if ya can to mervorford@xtra.co.nz if you can compress it as much as poss as we are on dial up.

kit
12th April 2010, 08:45
Sorry to hear about you off! Gutted that I didn't manage to make it up to watch the racing.... sounds like it was an awesome day. Hope you get better soon!

SWERVE
13th April 2010, 20:55
Thanks Kit..........healed up amazingly well considering.

scorry
22nd April 2010, 15:19
holy shit mate, page 5, formula methven sportzfotoz shows it alll

you ok??

SWERVE
23rd April 2010, 06:50
whooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaa no wonder i ached for a few days. The pics are in reverse order on the site, I touched back wheel of Damion on 117 which caused me to fall, Poor Bryan Hill had no choice but to run over me. And i guess the gap that Dennis Charlett was going for around the outside was stolen by my still spinning bike. Thats him doing a handstand behind the bales. Apologies to all these guys for being the cause of this incident. At least i did enough laps for Paul the photograher to get a couple of shots of me ON the bike too.

t3mp0r4ry nzr
1st May 2010, 18:21
looks as though you were lucky, could have ended alot worst!