PDA

View Full Version : Taupo Ride

wkid_one
12th November 2003, 20:42
An Idea....

How many riders would be interesting in doing the following...determining the date of an open day at Taupo and organising a group of riders from Auckland and one from Wellington and riding up and down to make a weekend of it?

Blasting around the track - some quite drinks - maybe a local ride?

Just a thought?

mangell6
12th November 2003, 21:32
Hmm, thought must be finished . . . . .

:D :D

curious george
13th November 2003, 16:19
Hey, could be good, just not next weekend, as it would clash with about 6000 cyclists!

With plenty of warning, it could be done! Put some faces to the posts and all that.
Just nee to know track times now....

Coldkiwi
13th November 2003, 16:37
sounds great because I need to get some time in at Taupo prior to racing there next year.

My only query is how to preserve my tyres. After my run down to the Cold kiwi on my soft Dragon Evo's, my rear tyre was flattend right out and quite useless afterwards. From there I vowed never to do touring on sports tyres because it's just not economical. I'll get sport tourers put on before I leave and swap back to the softies on my return. But going to Taupo on hard rubber doesn't let me do that... or give me the facility to change tyres there.

Maybe if Bluninja was taking his truck and trailer I'd be keen to lob the gsxr on the back with the snotties on and do the business down there? Si?

Firefight
13th November 2003, 17:12
Yep I'am keen.:cool:

bluninja
13th November 2003, 18:28
CK, you make it sound like such a long way to Taupo......but yes a ride and a thrash would probably need a trailer for some unlucky person at the track. I wonder what Taupo track availability is given that they've been given planning consent for the new extension and widening....when will the digging start?

Having seen the new track layout...I will be well up for visiting that as soon as it's done.

TTFN

Slim
14th November 2003, 07:42
Make it next year, and not a weekend in February, and I'd be dead keen. :D

Coldkiwi
14th November 2003, 11:06
Originally posted by bluninja
CK, you make it sound like such a long way to Taupo......but yes a ride and a thrash would probably need a trailer for some unlucky person at the track. I wonder what Taupo track availability is given that they've been given planning consent for the new extension and widening....when will the digging start?

Having seen the new track layout...I will be well up for visiting that as soon as it's done.

TTFN

Any piece of straight road longer than Quay St feels like a long way on the GSXR! Now if there was a nice twisty route to Taupo I wouldn't mind but I've seen what semi-long distance touring (mostly high-speed generally upright riding) does to my tyres and didn't like it much.

Slim
14th November 2003, 11:49
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
Now if there was a nice twisty route to Taupo I wouldn't mind
There is. And several options too. :D

Steve Taly
14th November 2003, 18:10
Yeah would be keen on that but need a few weeks notice to organise work sched.

bluninja
14th November 2003, 19:15
How about rdiing to Taupo the day before, having a barbie and camping at the circuit the night before (or a nearby campsite) then the track the next day all fresh?

TTFN

Dave
16th November 2003, 16:05
i'm keen on that,sounds like some good laidback track time

Coldkiwi
16th November 2003, 21:13
that sounds like a great idea simon. I'm pretty stuffed after a track day anyway and I really wouldn't want to ride home. Book me a spot on the lovely trailer of yours please!!