PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance for Leathers?

2_SL0
17th May 2005, 20:46
OK, I finally got some leathers, 2 piece. But what is the best way to maintain them.
How do you clean them, any sort of product I should treat them with etc?

Quasievil
17th May 2005, 20:51
OK, I finally got some leathers, 2 piece. But what is the best way to maintain them.
How do you clean them, any sort of product I should treat them with etc?

Most of the guys I know drag them down the road while wearing them, this apparently does the trick !!!

Get some snow seal and get it rubbed right into the leather soften it up with a hair dyrer to, give the threaded areas a double dose !!:niceone:

750Y
17th May 2005, 21:29
cleaner then conditioner. i use marinol but there's plenty out there.

NhuanH
17th May 2005, 21:55
i'm a lazy sod, so only give the leather a periodic (ie. when I can remember) wipe down with a soapy water concoction.

And keep them hanging of course.

The suit I've had for 3 years still looks good, despite having been cut up by SpeedMedic's mates. Seems to be getting smaller year by year though... :whistle:

sAsLEX
17th May 2005, 22:31
Umm I find that riding them in the rain every now and again helps keep them clean :ride:

MikeL
17th May 2005, 22:39
Sno-seal is O.K but Dubbin is cheaper and does as good a job.

Cary
17th May 2005, 22:45
Sno-seal once a year. Got a leather jacket that has been used for 15 years and is still in top nick thanks to sno-seal.

Velox
17th May 2005, 23:45
Sno-seal once a year. Got a leather jacket that has been used for 15 years and is still in top nick thanks to sno-seal.

But Sno-seal isn't for cleaning leather, it's to protect it and waterproof it. I find it actually makes it dirtier cause all the exhaust and particle crap sticks to it. I heard that saddle-soap is meant to be good though, which makes sense I guess. Still haven't got around to cleaning mine though, apart from a wipe down with water.

Pixie
18th May 2005, 01:03
Gently lower into a waste receptacle ,then buy some proper 21st century textile gear ,preferably SPIDI :killingme

2_SL0
18th May 2005, 08:23
I already have textile.

placidfemme
18th May 2005, 08:25
Where would you be able to buy these products? At any bike shop?

Lou Girardin
18th May 2005, 08:29
Where would you be able to buy these products? At any bike shop?

Nikwax do a range of leather and textile cleaning/protecting products. Check with your friendly local bike shop. (AMPS)

Motu
18th May 2005, 08:36
I used to use (before my leathers shrunk) saddle soap and leather dressing,you could get them at any hardware shop.....but hardware shops are disapearing.Saddlene was my favorite,you could get grease or oil.Riding on a wet dirt track my leathers used to get real dirty.I don't like SnoSeal - beeswax is not a natural ingreadiant of leather - you have to feed leather with natural oils to keep it soft and supple,bees wax makes it stiff.

wildcat_lgf
18th May 2005, 08:36
Nikwax or dubbin or any of those similar products may be available from a bike shop but you may find it cheaper and easier to get them from a tramping/outdoors shop like Pack n Pedal, Bivouac, Kathmandu, etc. They use it to protect and waterproof leather tramping boots, as such they may have a bigger range than a bike shop and probably better prices.

Plus they should be able to supply a leather cleaning product as well as a conditioner/waterproofing one.

Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty when you apply it, the warmer it is, the better it soaks into the material to protect it (within reason)...I recommend just using your fingers to rub it in, the heat from your hands and the rubbing warms the wax so it penetrates better into the leather.

Eyetie
18th May 2005, 08:40
Motomail recommended (to clean them) Mothers Leather Cleaner/Conditioner, to save $$ Repco in Southgate have it which I know is close to you.

scumdog
18th May 2005, 09:05
You can buy larger tins of dubbin from shops that sell stuff for the horsey types, my tin has lasted for years, the shoe-shop size will only last about two applications - if you're lucky.

Warm the leathers before applying (in the sun but at this time of year it might take a hair-dryer).

Rub it well in, especially at leak-prone seams.

Takes ages to get the stuff off your hands and it leave funny (temporary) marks on your scoot where the leather has touched it.

MSTRS
18th May 2005, 09:09
I just use warm water & a sponge to clean, apply sno-seal once or twice a year. Leathers are old & stll looking great.
PS many years ago I heard that Dubbin (for tramping boots at least) although a great water-proofing agent was not good for the stitching. Apparently it rots cotton thread or something.

Wolf
18th May 2005, 12:48
I just use warm water & a sponge to clean, apply sno-seal once or twice a year. Leathers are old & stll looking great.
PS many years ago I heard that Dubbin (for tramping boots at least) although a great water-proofing agent was not good for the stitching. Apparently it rots cotton thread or something.
Apparently dubbin is animal fat and does nasty things to stitching so far as I've been warned. I use SnoSeal on my leather stuff.

2_SL0
18th May 2005, 18:39
Thanks for all the replies. :D