PDA

View Full Version : What's the best group ride for beginners?

Mrs weekendwarrior
6th April 2010, 15:44
hey guys, wanting to try the group ride thing, which is the best group ride to join bearing in mind that im still on learners, have only been riding 6 months & havn't been over 100... i live in pakuranga but keen to go anywhere.... just don't want anyone to laugh at me when i show up on my little GN125 (note: planning on buying ninja in couple of weeks time.. hopefully if i past my restricted it will be my present to myself) :innocent:

Mrs weekendwarrior
6th April 2010, 15:44
hey guys, wanting to try the group ride thing, which is the best group ride to join bearing in mind that im still on learners, have only been riding 6 months & havn't been over 100... i live in pakuranga but keen to go anywhere.... just don't want anyone to laugh at me when i show up on my little GN125 (note: planning on buying ninja in couple of weeks time.. hopefully if i past my restricted it will be my present to myself) :innocent:

yungatart
6th April 2010, 15:48
Ride with a small goup (2-3 others) that you REALLY trust!
Not so much that they won't laugh at you, but that they ride safely and with consideration.

Mrs weekendwarrior
6th April 2010, 15:49
Unfortunatley i only know one other that rides... my hubby & one of us has to stay home with the kids!

yungatart
6th April 2010, 15:54
Join a babysitting club, so you can both ride together.
Or find a mentor and do some riding with him/her, while hubby stays home with the kids.
The last thing you want to be doing is riding with a big group of bikers who you don't know.

SMOKEU
6th April 2010, 16:10
My advice is don't go on group rides unless you're really confident and you have a fast bike. Last group ride I was on I was riding with about 30 other guys and they were all riding like complete nutters. I simply couldn't keep up.

retro asian
6th April 2010, 16:11
Search for SASS or NASS (South Auckland and North Auckland Street skills), these groups are great and are well prepared to host a new rider like yourself.

Mrs weekendwarrior
6th April 2010, 16:41
weird dunno know how this came up twice??

Tryhard
6th April 2010, 17:54
Hi come along to a SASS night- we dont judge anyone

Katman
6th April 2010, 17:57
Not so much that they won't laugh at you, but that they ride safely and with consideration.

You can't get better advice than that.

Hitcher
6th April 2010, 17:59
As a beginner I would strongly caution against participating in group rides until you have gained confidence in riding your bike at your own pace and are comfortable riding it in a range of conditions. Apart from intersections, about the most dangerous thing bikers can experience is riding with other bikers.

There's too much happening in a group riding situation for novice riders to even contemplate participating safely.

The best riding experience you can have is either on your own or with a skilled mentor.

If you must ride in a group, make sure it's a small one comprising other riders with nothing to prove.

Mrs weekendwarrior
6th April 2010, 18:02
Hi come along to a SASS night- we dont judge anyone

details please....

MSTRS
6th April 2010, 18:04
Hitcher's post above is GOOD advice.
I would suggest that you jump into Biker Angels and see if you can get a (small) group of women together for a pootle and coffee. Women riders rarely have anything to prove, and assuming they've been riding a while, will be ideal for your situation.

Tink
6th April 2010, 18:09

I second good advice from Hitcher, I rode with only one person, then moved up to 4.. slowly .. also going for my RL shortly... your always welcome to join us, we come through that way ocassionally. :)

tate35
6th April 2010, 18:48
Hey Mrs weekendwarrior,

It's helpful if you can cruise out with your husband/boyfriend, or friends, but all else fails....check out "biker angels" or "newbies" their should be others in your area looking for someone to ride with as well?

No one is going to laugh at you - if anything most bike people are friendly and encouraging and understand you can only do your 70 on the open road.

Good luck :)

gilly
6th April 2010, 18:54
details please....

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/117274-South-Auckland-Street-Skills

We have a little ride first and then practice some skills in a safe carpark in Manukau.
You can get the 'feel' of riding with a group, but under the watchful eye of a mentor and at a learners speed.

If you'd like to go for a ride PM me. My hubby accompanies me on rides, and I don't go over 105.

Mom
6th April 2010, 18:59

Well said that woman!

Unfortunatley i only know one other that rides... my hubby & one of us has to stay home with the kids!

There are a few of us that ride about the place. East is not that far from north.

Tink
6th April 2010, 19:07
Well said that woman!

There are a few of us that ride about the place. East is not that far from north.

Hello there you.... :D... count me in that thought!

Mom
6th April 2010, 19:20
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/117274-South-Auckland-Street-Skills

We have a little ride first and then practice some skills in a safe carpark in Manukau.
You can get the 'feel' of riding with a group, but under the watchful eye of a mentor and at a learners speed.

If you'd like to go for a ride PM me. My hubby accompanies me on rides, and I don't go over 105.

Sometimes a trip north is in order too. 105! You hoon :D

hellokitty
6th April 2010, 20:28

I know how you feel, I only know guys that ride big bikes and ride fast! I want to cruise around at my speed. I don't know about you, but I used to feel very nervous going out on my own, I wanted my husband to be there to "look after me".
I think you could build some confidence riding with other women - I know I could.
We need to have a circuit where we pick other ladies up and head out somewhere for a ride!!

Tink
6th April 2010, 20:31
I know how you feel, I only know guys that ride big bikes and ride fast! I want to cruise around at my speed. I don't know about you, but I used to feel very nervous going out on my own, I wanted my husband to be there to "look after me".
I think you could build some confidence riding with other women - I know I could.
We need to have a circuit where we pick other ladies up and head out somewhere for a ride!!

Honestly when mom is on a roll she is the perfect roll model.. going north is not so bad... some great roads up there... and some great riders. And now greys is on... laterz wink

CookMySock
6th April 2010, 20:39
It's helpful if you can cruise out with your husband/boyfriend, or friends, but all else fails....check out "biker angels" or "newbies" their should be others in your area looking for someone to ride with as well?If you can't get to ride with your husband or your boyfriend, then ride in a small 1-3 person group with you in the front.

It is vital that you do not find yourself trying to keep up with more experienced riders. Never never permit this to happen.

Steve

hellokitty
6th April 2010, 20:43
it is also vital that you ride with people that respect the fact you want to go at an easy pace - nothing worse than people pushing you to go faster or taking off and leaving you

rustic101
6th April 2010, 20:47
Group rides give me the screaming hebejebes,, a very dangerous mentality takes over and everyone wants to be in front.. I do not mind small packs of 2 to 3 riders and only people I know, even then I keep alert

CookMySock
6th April 2010, 21:00
it is also vital that you ride with people that respect the fact you want to go at an easy pace - nothing worse than people pushing you to go faster or taking off and leaving youThat is all about you and nothing about them. If they are behind you, then ignore them and do your thing at your pace. Stop putting pressure on yourself.

If they burn you off, then find someone else to ride with.

In group rides, the newbie goes in front. Everyone else stays the fuck back.

Steve

hellokitty
6th April 2010, 21:03
Group rides give me the screaming hebejebes,, a very dangerous mentality takes over and everyone wants to be in front.. I do not mind small packs of 2 to 3 riders and only people I know, even then I keep alert

I will always be the one at the back, no one is going to push me beyond my capabilites. Which is why I get teased....... a lot
I have a friend who rides like an idiot, which is why I never ride with him ( the fact he smashed his bike and his body and lost his license just reinforces my point)

rustic101
6th April 2010, 21:09
I hear ya, I'm always at the back. I'm into riding now to enjoy the scenery, the independence and the ability to stay upright and on track (no pun intended). I had my fair share of bikes on the deck and have learnt many a lesson :)

Loud music and a steady pace :):):)

Tink
6th April 2010, 21:13
If you can't get to ride with your husband or your boyfriend, then ride in a small 1-3 person group with you in the front.

It is vital that you do not find yourself trying to keep up with more experienced riders. Never never permit this to happen.

Steve

Steve.. that is right... I always ride point... but often would prefer to just cruise behind.. but that is just recent... now a little more knowledgable.. I know my own pace.

Hitcher
6th April 2010, 23:07
A slower rider riding at the back is a pain in the arse because the lead rider knows not where they are or what they're doing. It's too easy for the trailing rider to lose contact with those in front -- particularly in town or on motorways. If the rearmost rider is riding their own ride, they might as well be riding alone, because that is most likely where they will end up: they choose a lane other than the bikes in front, get boxed in and bingo, there's six cars between and a change at the next set of lights missed. Inevitably they will have to ride faster than they would have liked to catch up and then blame the front bikes for riding too quickly -- which most often isn't the case at all.

Slower riders incorrectly assume that because they're in front they're holding things up, which is rarely the case. It's much tidier and way less stressful for those they're riding with if they do.

Slow riders have generally never had another rider with whom they were supposed to be riding follow them and drop off the pace to a bothersome extent. If they had, they would understand the grief that this practice causes.

There's a big difference between "following" and "riding along behind somewhere". Trust me on that.

sinned
7th April 2010, 03:39
The behaviour depends on the group. Open invitation group rides are dangerous IMHO. Ride with 2 -3 who know and respect your ability and you should be fine. I go on many Ulysses rides and find these are enjoyable and relatively safe. The problem with open KB rides is you don't know the ability or mentality of those in front, behind and passing you. If you ride at the rear of one of these larger group rides you will need to speed at times to keep up as the group spreads out. Ride at the front and risk being carved up by some who just have to pass you.

CookMySock
7th April 2010, 07:16
I do a lot of riding with absolute learners, and please people read the following very carefully and just accept it ;

A slower rider riding at the back is a pain in the arse because the lead rider knows not where they are or what they're doing.Yes, more experienced riders would much rather the learner was up front where they can keep an eye on things overall.

Slower riders incorrectly assume that because they're in front they're holding things up, which is rarely the case. It's much tidier and way less stressful for those they're riding with if they do.Learners, especially ladies, please read hitchers words again and again until you believe it.

Stop thinking about the more experienced rider behind you. It is not your business or your concern how he/she is feeling. Get your mind back on what your primary responsibilities are - watching where you're going or just enjoying your ride. Take comfort in the fact that they are not going to run into you and that they have your six - nothing can happen to you from behind while they are there. Do not be concerned that you might slip them off in traffic. Do not be concerned that they are too close to you. In fact, do not be concerned for them in the slightest.

Slow riders have generally never had another rider with whom they were supposed to be riding follow them and drop off the pace to a bothersome extent. If they had, they would understand the grief that this practice causes.I think what Hitcher means here, is when learners get lost behind an experienced rider, it's very stressful. I agree completely. Put simply, it's impossible if not very dangerous, for a learner to stay with an experienced rider, no matter how cautious the lead rider is. He really is completely guessing how the learner is feeling at any time. The situation is unworkable.

Learners go out the front.

Learners should have it explained clearly to them they must not spend any time whatsoever being concerned for the feelings or the safety of following more-experienced rider. (We would prefer it if you did not suddenly brake harrrd and swerve into our path though, ok? thanks!) :niceone:

Steve

hellokitty
7th April 2010, 17:52
Thanks for making things clear - everything you said makes perfect sense.
ESpecially the part about learners (me) worrying about how the others riders are feeling!

And yes the part about "ladies" is so true.

rustyrobot
7th April 2010, 18:25
I'm not sure if you've already seen it Mrs.WW, but there is a group ride 'DVD' that I thought was pretty helpful. It's mentioned in the survival skills forum, but if you want to download it, the link is.... http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/9/8/208927/28mbGroupRidingDivX.avi (right click the link and 'save link as' - Courtesy of Transalper). Produced by ACC.

Maki
8th April 2010, 14:30
Just make sure you have enough firepower to keep up! I have found myself woefully outgunned on group rides riding a 250. Your best bet is a 1000cc superbike in the mold of the "big bang" Yamaha R1, (good low down torque in case you get caught in the wrong gear). Failing that a 600cc supersport (Just make sure to keep the revs up) may be enough if you are not dealing with very long straights.

Make sure the other riders respect you and your skillz before the ride starts, show up in full leathers, worn knee sliders and pull some stoppies and wheel stands in the parking lot before the ride starts. Receive an extra bonus if your tyres are worn to shreds on the sides while the centers are barely scrubbed in. This is a proven formula taken straight from the book of seasoned "cruisy Wednesday night" riders here in Wellington, a friendly ride meant to ease beginners into the swing of things.

A final piece of advice considering that you wrote that you have never been over 100. Going faster than 100 can feel intimidating at first but KB provides excellent advice on how to overcome this, (honest, I read this here): Quickly accelerate to 200 and then slowly decelerate to 110 or so. It will feel like you are hardly moving and 100 will never seem like much speed to you again!

MSTRS
8th April 2010, 14:55
Maki - you're such a tease. 180 is more than enough for that 'acclimatising to 100' thing...

Kiri
8th April 2010, 20:39
Just make sure you have enough firepower to keep up! I have found myself woefully outgunned on group rides riding a 250. Your best bet is a 1000cc superbike in the mold of the "big bang" Yamaha R1, (good low down torque in case you get caught in the wrong gear). Failing that a 600cc supersport (Just make sure to keep the revs up) may be enough if you are not dealing with very long straights.

Make sure the other riders respect you and your skillz before the ride starts, show up in full leathers, worn knee sliders and pull some stoppies and wheel stands in the parking lot before the ride starts. Receive an extra bonus if your tyres are worn to shreds on the sides while the centers are barely scrubbed in. This is a proven formula taken straight from the book of seasoned "cruisy Wednesday night" riders here in Wellington, a friendly ride meant to ease beginners into the swing of things.

A final piece of advice considering that you wrote that you have never been over 100. Going faster than 100 can feel intimidating at first but KB provides excellent advice on how to overcome this, (honest, I read this here): Quickly accelerate to 200 and then slowly decelerate to 110 or so. It will feel like you are hardly moving and 100 will never seem like much speed to you again!

Is that sold in a bottle? Cos I would buy it! :D

sinned
11th April 2010, 10:50
Maki - you're such a tease. 180 is more than enough for that 'acclimatising to 100' thing...
I have to agree that 180 is a good speed to then back off from - saves me having to change into 3rd gear :blink:

Jayka
12th April 2010, 08:36

I have the same problem with my kids. I got 3 and they are all under 5yrs old. The difference is my husband wont ride:angry: He wont get his liciense even thou hes got over 20yrs exp. He thinks that cos he been riding for years he can just grab my bike and go, but unfortunantly for him its not! He's banned from my bike, and yeah I know that sounds harse but if he gets pulled over, my bike will get impounded for 28 long days!!!!!!:shit:

Genie
12th April 2010, 08:49
Hi, good one for getting out there.
I have only had my bike since Jan and most of my riding is on my own. Don't know many that do ride and until I get my confidence up and I wouldn't conemplate a group ride, would be too intimidated. Have been out with a couple of blokes and I just told them to ride on, they did and waited for me, I knew where we were going so I just went at my own pace. Riding on your own means you can set your own pace, where you are going and what you're going to do. Had an awesome quick rideon Sunday morning. It was the first ride I went on when got my bike and boy did I notice the difference in my riding. I've been doing that road about 3 times a week since I got the bike and the difference is amazin.....smooth, fluid, graceful. Loving it and improving everytime.

Jayka
12th April 2010, 08:51
"Learners go out front"

Yip I still got my "L plates" on!!! Ive found that you have to forget about the exp rider behind you and concentrate on whats ahead of you! Just because you are slower isnt a bad thing. As a friend told me 'everyone has to start somewhere and being a learner and being a "snail" is apart of it-eventually with more confidence and exp it gets easier'.

Cant wait to get off my learners, but I still got a few months yet until I can!!!

CookMySock
12th April 2010, 09:04
"Learners go out front"

Yip I still got my "L plates" on!!! Ive found that you have to forget about the exp rider behind you and concentrate on whats ahead of you! Just because you are slower isnt a bad thing. As a friend told me 'everyone has to start somewhere and being a learner and being a "snail" is apart of it-eventually with more confidence and exp it gets easier'. Cant wait to get off my learners, but I still got a few months yet until I can!!!It's great having someone you can trust just sit on your six and keep an eye out.

I particularly enjoy seeing learners' first steps in what are quite big things to them - U turns, tipping it in that little bit further, and all the stuff that comes with learning to ride a bike. It's a bit like watching the toddler learn to walk, and then run, and the dinner-plate grin just says it all.

Steve

Genie
12th April 2010, 09:07
It's great having someone you can trust just sit on your six and keep an eye out.

I particularly enjoy seeing learners' first steps in what are quite big things to them - U turns, tipping it in that little bit further, and all the stuff that comes with learning to ride a bike. It's a bit like watching the toddler learn to walk, and then run, and the dinner-plate grin just says it all.

Steve

Hey thats exactly how i feel about it all.....and those dinner plate grins....they be contagious!!!

Cayman911
16th April 2010, 15:32
I'm fully keen for a relaxed cruise/ride through the city and such, organise a ride and definitely count me in.
i've no problem takin it slow.

I have to agree that 180 is a good speed to then back off from - saves me having to change into 3rd gear :blink:

haha dude your avatar says it all dosnt it?