PDA

View Full Version : Riverhead Forest Trailride Sunday April 11

billaroo
6th April 2010, 15:58
We have just had the OK from the Forestry that enough rain has fallen- Don't miss the last one for this season.

Rupe
6th April 2010, 17:15
We have just had the OK from the Forestry that enough rain has fallen- Don't miss the last one for this season.

What time do the tracks closed. Busy in the morn, but keen

billaroo
7th April 2010, 16:10
What time do the tracks closed. Busy in the morn, but keen

3pm- so if you leave for your last lap just before 3 then you will ride till almost 4.

D dub
9th April 2010, 20:33
Man I wish that I could make it but I am booked on Sunday!

meteor
10th April 2010, 07:00
What's the road it's off, Silver Bullet says SH16? I went to the bike park (cycle) there years ago that was on Old North Road

billaroo
10th April 2010, 18:16
What's the road it's off, Silver Bullet says SH16? I went to the bike park (cycle) there years ago that was on Old North Road

Ararimu valley Rd- turn right just before zanders rd.

Crisis management
11th April 2010, 17:46
Great ride again Waitemata, well done!
I was a bit late getting there so only got 2 laps in but I still managed to terrify myself on a couple of the A loops, luckily the bike knows what it's doing and managed to drag me through, it was good to ride some of the usual stuff in reverse direction too.

billaroo
11th April 2010, 17:51
192 today- beats our riverhead record by 50. no injuries either.

99CR250
11th April 2010, 21:03
awesome riding, loved it, cheers

camchain
11th April 2010, 21:27
Was top notch out there today Billaroo (Thought I'd never seen the carpark so chocka).

With so many riders chewing things up, some nice berms formed up on corners - never seen Riverhead quite like that before. The couple of long climbs that kept getting steeper were really good. Tracks in reverse was a great idea. Cheers to Waitemata boys.

Reckless
11th April 2010, 23:45
Great ride billaroo! I liked that drop off just into the two arrow section. And those climbs where hard enough to be funbut you could get up them easy enough! Great ride I'd love to give it a go in the wet.

Midget200
12th April 2010, 09:39
Great ride billaroo! I liked that drop off just into the two arrow section. And those climbs where hard enough to be funbut you could get up them easy enough! Great ride I'd love to give it a go in the wet.

Geez am I the only one that found it really challenging, I didn't even do the drop off, but heard about it! I was one of 5 to get a flat tire! Don't change them myself on the car, let alone the bike!!!! Probably wasn't that keen on doing it all again! I nearly got swallowed by a huge crevasse, picked the wrong line and nearly lost myself and my bike deep below the earth! I probably wouldn't venture there in the wet!!!

Crisis management
12th April 2010, 10:04
Geez am I the only one that found it really challenging,

No, but you're probably more honest than the rest of us...........

Well done getting around the trail, it was a bit of a workout in places!

oldskool
12th April 2010, 10:17
Geez am I the only one that found it really challenging, I didn't even do the drop off, but heard about it! I was one of 5 to get a flat tire! Don't change them myself on the car, let alone the bike!!!! Probably wasn't that keen on doing it all again! I nearly got swallowed by a huge crevasse, picked the wrong line and nearly lost myself and my bike deep below the earth! I probably wouldn't venture there in the wet!!!

You're not the only one Midge, my daughter fouled her plug 8km in and I had to dub her back 20+ k's. Trouble is she loved it on the back of my bike, specially going up those hills.

++ A big THANKS to Kent for retrieving her bike for me! ++

Yeah that drop off was a rush and a half! The part I found daunting was the long gnarly hill climb in a double arrow section where it ended in what looked like a 2 mtr near vertical wall. I was knackered at that stage and I think I hit an exhaustion wall. So I backed down the hill a bit, took a deep breath and momentum took me up it. Gotta say I love the grunt of the GasGas300!

Reckless
12th April 2010, 11:15
ha I was lucky 3 guys went down the drop off just in front of me so I thought if they can, I can, my son stopped at the top of the drop off and looked at me at the bottom waiting for him. I could see him thinking "Oh my" and also "if my bloody old man can do it I ain't gonna quit" LOL!! Once you where over the edge it wasn't to bad at all, more of a mental challenge, as the braking bit was quit good! So was the big hill Oldschool nailed. You'll climb up those easy next time oldschool!! The important thing I find with that stuff, up hill and down, is you have got to be standing or your stuffed! LOL!!! Must admit the place would be bloody challenging in the wet!
We should have had a go at the 3 arrow track, I feel I cheated myself now, Brad wanted to, I shouldn't have chickened out on him but the old body was starting to feel it, specially after I wrapped myself round that tree LOL!!!
Was a good day, good company and I love riding with my son!!

BTW: nice to meet you Bradz!

billaroo
12th April 2010, 11:21
Rest assured if we mark a deviation with 3 arrows it will not be easy...most people will be challenged at least a little.

Crisis management
12th April 2010, 11:23
Rest assured if we mark a deviation with 3 arrows it will not be easy...most people will be challanged at least a little.

There's a Tui ad in here somewhere....... I had at least 3 lie downs in there.

Jinxycat
12th April 2010, 11:50
i got cross rutted at one point and the bike spat me off forcing me to have a little gorse bush nap, today i look like i have measels all down my left side, lol, was a good day and a good challenge, thanks to all involved.

takitimu
12th April 2010, 12:25
Rest assured if we mark a deviation with 3 arrows it will not be easy...most people will be challenged at least a little.

You guys going for triple arrow instead of saying expert loop ?, if so I like that idea alot, we were running around putting up Expert notices yesterday morning before riders turned up & would have been way easier to triple arrow.

Reckless
12th April 2010, 12:51
I must say Billaroo (& Takatimu) I found it really good!
1 Arrow trail ride
2 Arrows harder
3 Arrows I wish LOL!!!

The marking system was very good from a riders perspective!!

oldskool
12th April 2010, 13:17
I must say Billaroo (& Takatimu) I found it really good!
1 Arrow trail ride
2 Arrows harder
3 Arrows I wish LOL!!!

The marking system was very good from a riders perspective!!

Except when we got lost 300mtrs from home at the end of the day! I was dying from thirst at that point and just wanted to get back in!

billaroo
12th April 2010, 13:26
You guys going for triple arrow instead of saying expert loop ?, if so I like that idea alot, we were running around putting up Expert notices yesterday morning before riders turned up & would have been way easier to triple arrow.

aye- cuts down on the crap to carry around

vazza
12th April 2010, 15:02
Dying to ride riverhead again. Trail ride sounded great! Any pics/vids? Keen to see this 3arrow stuff

Reckless
12th April 2010, 15:06
Except when we got lost 300mtrs from home at the end of the day! I was dying from thirst at that point and just wanted to get back in!

I think we did the 5k Novice loop as well LOL!!! Probably backwards ?? Funny how you can start missing things when your tired aye!!
Mind you BJ reckons that lady out there with the dog was taking down the Arrows as part of packing up? I dunno I think we just missed a turn.
Odd how you can be 500m away from the car and totally lost specially when the tracks start to look like they haven't had any bikes over them LOL!!
Ah well we got home thats all that counts! Was a fun day!

Just did my "Bike hours and Maintenance" spread sheet. Shows we did 2.4 hours Riding time. (My gauge only times when the front wheel is turning, so true riding time) 63K's distance.
My total MX riding career 155.6 hrs.
I'm gonna have to stop turning up at 11am so I can get that extra loop in LOL!!!!

L Rider
12th April 2010, 17:00
You're not the only one Midge, my daughter fouled her plug 8km in and I had to dub her back 20+ k's. Trouble is she loved it on the back of my bike, specially going up those hills.

++ A big THANKS to Kent for retrieving her bike for me! ++

Obviously no spare plug on you - bet thats a lesson learnt

oldskool
12th April 2010, 17:03
[QUOTE=Reckless;1129715734]
Ah well we got home thats all that counts! Was a fun day!

QUOTE]

How's that old body of yours holding up. I watched you do some pretty mighty things. Were you auditioning to be superhero of the year? Face charging trees, big massive wheely walkoffs on mountain tops, superman flyovers, I just wished I didn't run out of batteries on the helmutcam so for everyone to admire!
BTW I am very sore!!

oldskool
12th April 2010, 17:07
Obviously no spare plug on you - bet thats a lesson learnt

No lesson learnt for the day is not to rely on kids to pack everything they said they did. Double check (discreetly) !! I was minus my armour and camelbak with tools! When something goes wrong expect the dominoes to fall!

Jinxycat
12th April 2010, 17:25
No lesson learnt for the day is not to rely on kids to pack everything they said they did. Double check (discreetly) !! I was minus my armour and camelbak with tools! When something goes wrong expect the dominoes to fall!

yeh, you wouldnt want to drop your pizza!

Reckless
12th April 2010, 17:37
How's that old body of yours holding up. I watched you do some pretty mighty things. Were you auditioning to be superhero of the year? Face charging trees, big massive wheely walkoffs on mountain tops, superman flyovers, I just wished I didn't run out of batteries on the helmutcam so for everyone to admire!
BTW I am very sore!!

Not to bad, I was a bit lucky. Still went for my walk with the dog this morning so must be ok haven't really thought about it to much? Best not to dwell on what coulda happened LOL!!
That was a silly judgement mistake when my bars clipped that branch and fired me into the tree LOL!! My Fault, I felt my knees go around one side and my shoulders the other, I'm just pleased they didn't Touch! LOL!!!! Thank goodness for armour and neck braces, we where pushing along at a reasonable pace as well.
The superman fly over wasn't my fault though, that big branch fair wedged itself between the front of the back tyre and swingarm, the bloody bike stopped dead and I kept going. Bloody lucky it didn't puncture or bust anything. How it got into there opposite to the way the wheel was turning, I'll never know. Took two of us 5 mins to pull it out as you know LOL!!!

Anyway just a normal day out on the trails LOL!!!

Old body you say HA!! you must be right I can't seem to get any women to play with it anymore, now I'm available again Bugger it! LOL!!!

BTW you are only aloud to post helmet cams of the good stuff not the offs and didn't quite make it moments! LOL!!!

Rupe
12th April 2010, 19:08

What was the three arrow bit. Remember going down it, but not what was on it??

Crisis management
12th April 2010, 19:29
What was the three arrow bit. Remember going down it, but not what was on it??

Just a long uphill , covered in roots, a test of throttle control which I seem to lack.....

meteor
12th April 2010, 19:30
Fantastic ride, first time we've done Riverhead. Kidz had a blast, except my son who took a wrong turn and somehow got back into the old felled forest section. Thanks to whoever you are on the KTM200 that stopped and comforted him till I found him. Our kids baulked at the drop off on the 2 arrow section and when we saw the 3 arrow... a unanimous Nah! Bloody glad it wasn't wet, some of those climbs I'd still be trying to get up. Shoulders, back and butt aren't thanking me today but all up a great day, Cheers WMCC. When's the next one??

Crisis management
12th April 2010, 19:42
Thanks to whoever you are on the KTM200 that stopped and comforted him till I found him.

Glad he's ok, he looked a touch lonely in the middle of that clear fell...and it gave me an excuse to stop and catch my breath!

camchain
12th April 2010, 21:03
Found out the hard way what triple arrows meant after that enduro (last year?). Pretty brutal in the wet.

Anyone else see that big crunch hole in the middle of the last bridge later in the afternoon?

billaroo
13th April 2010, 07:59
QUOTE=camchain;1129716319]Found out the hard way what triple arrows meant after that enduro (last year?). Pretty brutal in the wet.

Anyone else see that big crunch hole in the middle of the last bridge later in the afternoon?[/QUOTE]

yep- interesting feeling having boards break under you.:Oops:

camchain
13th April 2010, 13:31
Ah ha! But not quite enough info billaroo. Would like to hear the unabridged version.
Didn't notice any bike shaped dents in the undergrowth - did you manage to keep it together?

Reckless
13th April 2010, 13:44
Ah ha! But not quite enough info billaroo. Would like to hear the unabridged version.
Didn't notice any bike shaped dents in the undergrowth - did you manage to keep it together?

I 'm pretty sure we where going over near the end and it was still holding up ok. I remember thinking oh shit that don't look good, but was going to quick to stop, so over I went. It still had the mesh over from what I could see so I'd guess it lasted the day ok.

camchain
13th April 2010, 13:55
Heh. - was tempted to try and pin that bridge ding on you reckless. Had a chuckle over the 'superman' stuff and wood/tree smashing. The mesh was on when I went by. Man, Riverhead is good fun.

Reckless
13th April 2010, 14:02
Heh. - was tempted to try and pin that bridge ding on you reckless. Had a chuckle over the 'superman' stuff and wood/tree smashing. The mesh was on when I went by. Man, Riverhead is good fun.

Ah he's just dramatising my little mis adventures LOL!!! I must take Evan to Wires track that will put everything into perspective for him LOL!!!

My first time out Riverhead and It just fitted my skill level nicely (in the dry), Challenging but not frustrating, yep was a very good day! Thanks WMCC!!

billaroo
13th April 2010, 14:08

yep no crashing involved- when I went over saw 1or 2 boards broken then heard the next 4 break- had to do a quick repair job then...

D dub
13th April 2010, 19:44
yep no crashing involved- when I went over saw 1or 2 boards broken then heard the next 4 break- had to do a quick repair job then...

Hmmm, Time for a diet?
Lucky you weren't on a four stroke!!

billaroo
13th April 2010, 21:45
Hmmm, Time for a diet?
Lucky you weren't on a four stroke!!

that's the pot calling the kettle black.....

D dub
14th April 2010, 07:38
that's the pot calling the kettle black.....

No mate, I ride a two stroke!