PDA

View Full Version : Restricted License help

jaybee
17th May 2005, 22:54
hey team :grouphug: 6mths of L plate riding has passed by ...( bloody quickly i might add) and now its time to do the restricted test .... thewwwwwwww actually go out with an instructor !!!! how brave .

Hey i'll get to loose that bloody big yellow pillion off the back of my bike though , :stupid: but .... question time

Anyone done the Manukau circuit lately ?? whats involved

Ok no you havent done the manukau course but have just done your restricted whats involved??????????????? any pointers ??

have booked for friday this week so hope all you KBers keep ya fingers crossed for fine weather after all the crap since Sunday eewwwwwwwww....... yes im one of those dry weather riders

campbellluke
17th May 2005, 22:58
Before I sat my restricted, I had to buy a L plate. Because they said they would fail me otherwise. Make sure you have one.

Don't cut corners.
Stop at stop signs.
Look ( turn your head ) at railways. Even though it is obvious that there is no train coming.
Keep safe following distance.

Shake the instructers hand. And if you have protective gear, wear it.

Sparky
17th May 2005, 22:59
Good luck. Let us know how you got on and what was involved (seeing I am next) :msn-wink:

Make sure you got a WOF!!!!

Jeremy
17th May 2005, 23:02
Manukau is pretty easy if you know the area. The general route is the industrial/commercial area. Simple loop. There are a few roundabouts though.

3 different people usually do the tests at Manukau.

The maori guy = pass
The cranky indian guy = pass if your good
The old white guy = fail if your in a car, it's damn near impossible to pass if your male. I've had 5 of my mates get a fail on their full with this guy yet pass it with flying colours the next day with another testing officer. I'm not sure how we acts with motorcycles though, you may get an instant pass.

Turn up in full gear. Check bike, etc. Watch out for the non givewayed streets in papatoetoe (probably the only ones left in Manukau).

jaybee
17th May 2005, 23:06
Before I sat my restricted, I had to buy a L plate. Because they said they would fail me otherwise. Make sure you have one.

Don't cut corners.
Stop at stop signs.
Look ( turn your head ) at railways. Even though it is obvious that there is no train coming.
Keep safe following distance.

Shake the instructers hand. And if you have protective gear, wear it.
Thanx Campbellluke, yeah got one of those looser plates allready attached lol nah was a good device to let cages no watch the F*%k out hehehe

now do you have to watch the instructer so as you no where to turn ie.. they indicate you turn sinario or is the course explained to you ?

jaybee
17th May 2005, 23:07
Good luck. Let us know how you got on and what was involved (seeing I am next) :msn-wink:

Make sure you got a WOF!!!!

thanx sparky got new WOF , yeah mate next week your turn ay ??

jaybee
17th May 2005, 23:17
Manukau is pretty easy if you know the area. The general route is the industrial/commercial area. Simple loop. There are a few roundabouts though.

3 different people usually do the tests at Manukau.

The maori guy = pass

say no more got my pick above , hey on the subject wats with roundabout laws now ? going straight through = right indicator and then left indicator to exit ?? I normally just plow straight through and only indicate if and only if turning yeah but have noticed an increase in the number of people going straight ahead yet indicate wats up with that , i get pissed off when someone puts there indicator on and go straight ahead its like you end up waiting for ......... for nothing

campbellluke
17th May 2005, 23:21
Thanx Campbellluke, yeah got one of those looser plates allready attached lol nah was a good device to let cages no watch the F*%k out hehehe

now do you have to watch the instructer so as you no where to turn ie.. they indicate you turn sinario or is the course explained to you ?

When I sat it last year. You are followed by the instructer in a car. Hopefully he will make an uttermost effort to keep up with you. If you lose him, pull over and wait for him. - I didn't have to do that. PHEW

I was told which streets to go through at the start. Had 1 stop, where I was told more directions. Then the test finished.

But he will be following you and indicating etc.. so if you are unfamiliar with your instructions you will be in luck. Because the car will help.

- Make sure that your mirrors are very clean!
- I know that it sounds insane, but move your head to look at the mirrors. Otherwise they can argue that you weren't even using the mirrors.

Edit: Roundabout laws?

Going straight = Do not indicate when entering. But indicate left when leaving.

campbellluke
17th May 2005, 23:24
i get pissed off when someone puts there indicator on and go straight ahead its like you end up waiting for ......... for nothing

Yeah that pisses me off too. As you think that they are changing lanes.

Just make sure that you do it during the test though.

bear
18th May 2005, 08:14
Remember to indicate for every turn, including pulling out from the side of the road.

Jonty
18th May 2005, 08:37
You should be fine, the main thing I forgot to do was look to my blind spots (make sure you make exaggerated head movements). :msn-wink:

jazbug5
18th May 2005, 09:03
I'm sitting my test next week, and just had a very helpful chat with one of the guys I work with- he turns out not only to be a motorcyclist (which is why I asked him) but an ex testing officer and writer of the training manual for test officers. Score!

He gave me some good tips.

Relax. Don't be nervous. (This is one I'm going to find tricky, personally...)

Make sure your bike is fully legal, tyre pressures correct, nothing hanging off it etc.

Consider wearing a reflective overjacket or something. It shouldn't affect your test per se, but shows them that you are 'serious about safety'.

Obvious headchecks are important- they can't see your eyes, so have to rely on head movement. (As already said, this also applies for mirror checking.)
Make sure you check your blind spot when pulling out/changing lanes, as well.

Even if you know the route in advance, make sure you pull over where you were asked to. They need to stop to make notes.

Make sure you give way and stop where you are supposed to.

Demonstrate an awareness of road surfacing- eg don't ride over big patches of slippery paint if you can avoid them.

Keep your speed at or just under the speed limit.

Good luck! If I think of anything else I'll put it up for you...

MSTRS
18th May 2005, 09:18
Position in your lane is also something to remember - just right of centre.

Lou Girardin
18th May 2005, 10:13
say no more got my pick above , hey on the subject wats with roundabout laws now ? going straight through = right indicator and then left indicator to exit ?? I normally just plow straight through and only indicate if and only if turning yeah but have noticed an increase in the number of people going straight ahead yet indicate wats up with that , i get pissed off when someone puts there indicator on and go straight ahead its like you end up waiting for ......... for nothing

Got a road code?

Flyingpony
18th May 2005, 12:17
Have a read in the Club 250 section.
There's quite a bit of advice in that forum.

White trash
18th May 2005, 12:20
When you first take off, stand with your left foot on the left rear peg, and your right foot lightly on the tail light mount. At about 5-10kph, pop a mono and start slowly circulating the car park on one wheel at around walking pace.

That'll win 'em over.

jaybee
18th May 2005, 21:28
Got a road code?

yeah mate but this law is only a month old so not printed in my book but if you jump here it tells you differantly http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/road-user-safety/new-road-rules/index.html so i guess i'm best to work off this theory

jaybee
18th May 2005, 21:30
When you first take off, stand with your left foot on the left rear peg, and your right foot lightly on the tail light mount. At about 5-10kph, pop a mono and start slowly circulating the car park on one wheel at around walking pace.

That'll win 'em over.
oh a comedian in the house :ride:

jaybee
20th May 2005, 19:54
hey thanx for all the help team , hey i ended up wid the old guy and passed !!! orignally booked for 115 and his car broke down so he delayed me until 425 guess he felt sorry for keeping me waiting and get this he sprung me for not keeping to the speed limit as i was doing 50 in a 70k area lol, flashed his lights pulled me over and said 70 until the next sign !! then flashed me againg i stopped and he gave me my new license

Mr Skid
20th May 2005, 20:15
Nice use of the L plate there!

I'll remember to put one under the seat for parking on soft ground.:niceone:

Stevo
20th May 2005, 22:24

I'll remember to put one under the seat for parking on soft ground.:niceone:
Shite! Never thought of that for a use for the damn thing. Mine used to be attached with velcro, so I could velcro it to the battery under the seat when was riding the highways in Canterbury :niceone: Bugger 70kph for an idea!

Congrats on the license tho mate

250learna
21st May 2005, 00:00
hey thanx for all the help team , hey i ended up wid the old guy and passed !!! orignally booked for 115 and his car broke down so he delayed me until 425 guess he felt sorry for keeping me waiting and get this he sprung me for not keeping to the speed limit as i was doing 50 in a 70k area lol, flashed his lights pulled me over and said 70 until the next sign !! then flashed me againg i stopped and he gave me my new license

congrats, i cnt wait for the day i can put my L plate under my stand :yes:

jaybee
21st May 2005, 23:16

:

Thats was SPARKYS idea for the use of the L Plate i cant take credit for that , hopefully in a few weeks he posts his pictures with his new stand holder

danb
30th June 2005, 23:57
Congrats on the restricted
When I do mine, my looser plate can have a cremation in the fire or shredded. I have now, just about had to put up with those hideous yellow squares for about 12 months now. 6 for the cage and about 4 – 5 months for the bike. :whistle: