PDA

View Full Version : Minginui - Matawai - Motu Midwinter Madness Ride 30 July - 1 August 2010

Pages : [1] 2

clint640
7th April 2010, 13:31
The world famous MMMMM Ride is on again 30 July - 1 August

See calendar entry here: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=2498&day=2010-7-30&c=1

Please register so I can keep track of numbers.

The plan is to meet up at the Rangitaiki Pub on the Napier-Taupo road. There is food, beer, basic cabins & camping there for those who want to arrive Friday night. Phone them on 07 384 2803 to book yourself a bed.

More comfy accomodation, & extra bunks are also available 5km back down the road towards Taupo at the Rangitaiki Lodge. They have a couple of nice motel units, some tidy cabins & a bunkhouse. Call them on 07 384 2800 to book. As the Lodge bar usually closes at 8 the main gathering/meal/beers will be back at the pub.

8am Saturday we'll leave the Pub & head North along the Waipunga Rd across to highway 38 at Minginui then on through Waikaremoana, Wairoa, Tiniroto & a few backroads to my friend's farm, Journey's End Station, out the back of Matawai. We'll stay in the shearer's quarters which are quite modern & well appointed. Bring your sleeping bag & a camp mat to sleep on also. The beds are now all taken. If we are lucky Ann might even cook us dinner & get in some beer for us. Sat night accomodation & meal koha is $25 cash.

On the Sunday we'll head out to Matawai then off down the Motu Rd to Opotiki, then a couple more backroads & back to my place at Rotoiti.

Any trailer scum planning to attend are welcome to drop their car & tralier at my place for the weekend.

Further details will be added to this post as we get more organised.

Remember this is a MIDWINTER ride. Based on previous MMMMM rides there is a 100% chance it will rain, a 66.6% chance of snow, an 80% chance it will be bloody cold & a 100% chance that all those mad enough to do the whole ride will have lots of fun. The route is all tar & gravel roads, nothing technical, some of the gravel is often fairly rough & muddy though.

Distances:

Taupo - Rangitaiki Pub - 35 km (no fuel)
Rangitaiki Pub - Te Whaiti - 75km (no fuel)
Te Whaiti - Waikaremoana 70km (thats 180km from Taupo - pack extra gas if you've got a small tank)
Waikaremoana - Wairoa 60km
Wairoa - Journey's End 160km
Journey's End Station - Matawai 30km
Matawai - Opotiki 75km

Cheers
Clint

Crisis management
7th April 2010, 14:31
I'm in (again)....I'll try not to fall off this time.

Thanks for doing this again Clint, it's a great ride.

clint640
7th April 2010, 15:21
I'm in (again)....I'll try not to fall off this time.

Thanks for doing this again Clint, it's a great ride.

Cool! Don't worry about falling off, that is perfectly acceptable, especially if there is a camera around! It's badly damaging either yourself or your bike that is frowned upon.

Here's the links to reports of past MMMMM rides
2004: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43357

2006: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146148

2007: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258799

2008: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367031

2009: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489989

Cheers
Clint

junkmanjoe
7th April 2010, 17:09
looks like i have to add another item to my bike......heated grips...............hope it snows again....

JMJ

bart
7th April 2010, 17:27
I did a few of these roads the other day. Had a blast. Yet to do the Motu though, so count me in at this stage.

Eddieb
7th April 2010, 17:35
looks like i have to add another item to my bike......heated grips...............hope it snows again....

JMJ

Had a ball last year, will see if I can pencil it into the calender again this year and try my heated grips out.

junkmanjoe
7th April 2010, 18:16
Had a ball last year, will see if I can pencil it into the calender again this year and try my heated grips out.
Oh shut up......

JMJ

Box'a'bits
7th April 2010, 19:23
Hi Guys. Yup agree with everyone here, :yes: really enjoyed last year, and will be up for this again. Fitted heated grips last year (at the last minute), so nothing to do...Hi JMJ :innocent:

That looks like fun
7th April 2010, 19:29
Will there be real deep river crossings on the way to the ride :shutup:
Can I afford another starter motor :sick:
Can I sleep on the floor of a pub :gob:
Do I have heated Grips :yes:
Ok Im in :Punk:

BMWST?
7th April 2010, 19:33
would knobbies be the safe choice?

That looks like fun
7th April 2010, 19:43

Depends on what oil you run :innocent:

junkmanjoe
7th April 2010, 19:48
Hi Guys. Yup agree with everyone here, :yes: really enjoyed last year, and will be up for this again. Fitted heated grips last year (at the last minute), so nothing to do...Hi JMJ :innocent:

you too sluts....
wana sell your alloy panniers, just thought they may be collecting dust...

dont think ill stay at the pub again, last time it rained in our cabin.....

hot pools this time.....taupo..

navek
7th April 2010, 20:46
Here's the links to reports of past MMMMM rides
2004: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43357

2006: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146148

2007: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258799

2008: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367031

2009: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489989

Cheers
Clint[/QUOTE]

Hi Clint new to this group had a look at the previous rides, looks great. Have registered but is it more adventure than trail?
and do you have limit on numbers as my riding mate would be interested.

Thanks Kev

Dont Know
7th April 2010, 21:03
Hi Clint, cant miss this one,it was a great ride last year. Lots of thanks to your freinds at Journeys End station. A couple of photos to jog the memory.

Taz
7th April 2010, 21:06
I will be there again Clint. Can I book a parking space at your place again?

MXNUT
7th April 2010, 21:40

Wot he said......... :sick:

Trailer trash an all. :yes:

8th April 2010, 06:33
Yes, please put me down, At this stage please allow for a pillion also.

Thanks

Cary
8th April 2010, 07:24
Yep i'm in. I'll book a place on Andy's trailer who'll book a park at yrs :shifty:

No heated grips for me this year :shit: Lets hope we get a foot of snow this year :Punk:

clint640
8th April 2010, 08:44

You won't need a really aggressive tyre but something at least semi knobby would be a good idea given the high chance of snow & the certainty of a few muddy sections of road.

dont think ill stay at the pub again, last time it rained in our cabin.....

hot pools this time.....taupo..

The cabins are pretty basic, remember there is better accomodation just down the road at the Rangitaiki lodge also. Hard to beat a hot pool though!

Hi Clint new to this group had a look at the previous rides, looks great. Have registered but is it more adventure than trail?
and do you have limit on numbers as my riding mate would be interested.

Thanks Kev

The ride is just roads, sometimes bordering on 4x4 track, but no gnarly trail stuff at all. (although I might throw in some optional side tracks for the dirtier minded of the group) No limit on numbers, but there are only 20 bunks/mattresses at the station & 2 of my non KB mates have put their names down already, so if you are #19 or higher to register you will need to bring a camp mat or something & be prepared to sleep on the floor.

Yep, no worries. You & the Big Mustache are welcome to stay at my place on the Sunday night too if you like.

Cheers
Clint

Shewolf
8th April 2010, 09:00
Count me in - I've got a dirty mind so I've been told... :ride:

junkmanjoe
8th April 2010, 09:17
ill be riding to taupo after work friday so be looking for a good nights sleep...

JMJ

nothingflash
8th April 2010, 09:55
Hi all - sounds good I'm keen and will try to convince two others.

navek
8th April 2010, 12:40
The cabins are pretty basic, remember there is better accomodation just down the road at the Rangitaiki lodge also. Hard to beat a hot pool though!

The ride is just roads, sometimes bordering on 4x4 track, but no gnarly trail stuff at all. (although I might throw in some optional side tracks for the dirtier minded of the group) No limit on numbers, but there are only 20 bunks/mattresses at the station & 2 of my non KB mates have put their names down already, so if you are #19 or higher to register you will need to bring a camp mat or something & be prepared to sleep on the floor.

Cheers
Clint[/QUOTE]
Thanks will ride the 800 then. :yes: Sounds great will book into Rangitaiti tavern just to be sure of somewhere to bed.

Thanks
Kev

Cary
8th April 2010, 13:35
Sounds great will book into Rangitaiti tavern just to be sure of somewhere to bed.
Yeah, thats what I thought last year. My booked and confirmed cabin turned into a fold out sofa................:blink:

I'm trying the Lodge this time round! we shall see :shifty:

Crisis management
8th April 2010, 14:09
Yeah, thats what I thought last year. My booked and confirmed cabin turned into a fold out sofa................:blink:

C'mon, you had a fire in that room, we had icicles off the ceiling in "your" cabin, I almost asked for your money back!

Cary
8th April 2010, 14:34
Well not risking it this time, got a heater & a tv :2thumbsup

I booked it, tripple checked & got the ladys name..........

navek
8th April 2010, 15:25

I'm trying the Lodge this time round! we shall see :shifty:

Thanks for the tip, looks like the lodge then.

MXNUT
8th April 2010, 19:26
Booked in at the pub.

Great to know that there is always a backup plan of sleeping in Carys unit with tv / heater and free Beer. :clap::clap::clap::woohoo::apint:

Box'a'bits
8th April 2010, 19:41
I remember last year being firken freezing riding in at 3.30pm. Bugger making that trek from Taupo 1st thing in the morning. :shit: Our cabin at least had a heater - (probably because someone left the cabin door open that afternoon to 'air' the room.... & let the rain in instead. I guess they were trying to dry things out....). I'm cabinning again at the pub....

Eddieb
8th April 2010, 20:23
I remember last year being firken freezing riding in at 3.30pm. Bugger making that trek from Taupo 1st thing in the morning. :shit: Our cabin at least had a heater - (probably because someone left the cabin door open that afternoon to 'air' the room.... & let the rain in instead. I guess they were trying to dry things out....). I'm cabinning again at the pub....

Blouse, try leaving Wellington at 4am to be at the start at 8am.

Box'a'bits
8th April 2010, 20:48
Yes, in the dark, with a hole in your headlight, an H4 bulb, and a good chance of rain. Not a risk taker, then....mad. :blink::wacko:

offrd
8th April 2010, 21:48
Woman says she wants to go, so that means i get to go too, cause she aint riding the 950!
Was 14 booked for mats at the station prior to me, now we are in that makes 16!

clint640
9th April 2010, 08:30

Yep, you definitely get the hard man award for that effort. It is worth noting the possibility of an icy road for anybody coming out from Taupo in the morning though, particularly around Opepe.

Woman says she wants to go, so that means i get to go too, cause she aint riding the 950!
Was 14 booked for mats at the station prior to me, now we are in that makes 16!

Actually 18 now, 5150 is also bringing a pillion. Anyone signing up now will need to BYO bed for the Sat night.

Just make sure the woman remembers the 'Midwinter' & '100% chance of rain' bit.:yes: I know you are one of the stayers though :niceone: It makes life really difficult for Ann at the station to organise catering (nearest supermarket an hours drive away) when half the registered starters bail out the week before just because there are a few showers forecast.

Cheers
Clint

offrd
9th April 2010, 08:38
Woman has been advised 'You know it will be f*****g freezing, raining, snowing, blowing and did i mention freezing!
She seems happy with that....
I was still unsure so i made the point further reinforced by adding that the only way out, home or to anywhere was by bike, no trains, buses, taxis or helecopters and no bailing out early.

I remember the last one of these, i crashed twice and still rode my twisted remains of a bike to the end!

That was in the biggest storm to ever hit NZ in 100 years wasnt it! hell some "hard riders" bailed before it started!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Shewolf
9th April 2010, 12:47
so this is the real 'cold kiwi' huh?? :cold: :woohoo:

Crisis management
9th April 2010, 14:09
so this is the real 'cold kiwi' huh?? :cold: :woohoo:

No, it's simply a mid winter adventure ride, as long as you are aware of the conditions you may have to confront then it's easy, the roads are generally good condition gravel and forestry and unless there is a lot of rain the river crossings aren't deep. As long as you remember central plateau conditions may be cold & wet and are prepared for that it's a pleasant ride.
Neat countryside to explore, really scenic and we seem to be a sociable bunch.

MXNUT
9th April 2010, 19:22
and we seem to be a sociable bunch.

Well some of us are..........

junkmanjoe
9th April 2010, 19:43
ill risk the ride in to the pub from taupo, there was water dripping of the cabin roof last time....inside.....
ill happy sleep on the floor at the wool shed, just might take last floor space as last time...aye eddie...

JMJ

LuckyJinx
14th April 2010, 20:58
Given the time of year and temp, this has got to be a really daft thing to do hehe......count me in!! hey Navek are you still checkin your oil by laying the bike down :-)
look forward to it ......

clint640
15th April 2010, 08:18
Given the time of year and temp, this has got to be a really daft thing to do hehe......count me in!! hey Navek are you still checkin your oil by laying the bike down :-)
look forward to it ......

Good stuff! Welcome to Kiwibiker too. Do you know any of the 'Naki riders on here? Colin from Inglewood is planning to come over I think.

Cheers
Clint

agricon
15th April 2010, 14:44
Hi Clint
I wouldn't mind tagging a long if there is any space left?
Cheers
Andy

clint640
15th April 2010, 15:10
Yep, plenty of space, check out the first post for info on booking Fri night accom, & bring a camp mattress & sleeping bag for the Sat night. See the calendar entry to register.

Cheers
Clint

trustme
15th April 2010, 20:15
In again thanks Clint.

LuckyJinx
16th April 2010, 23:04
Cheers Clint..
No don't think I know any of the Naki riders.would be good to contact a few. I gather we transport our own gear during the ride or do ya have a vehicle to ship bedding etc
sounds like it will be a good winter ride

Crisis management
17th April 2010, 07:52
I gather we transport our own gear during the ride or do ya have a vehicle to ship bedding etc

This one I had to quote...........

Sleeping bag & wet weather gear, reckon the KLR will handle it? :shutup:

Aslan
17th April 2010, 09:32
Clint - thanks for offering this event again - I enjoyed last year - have just committed - and yes I will bring sleeping mat for the Sat night - happy to volunteer to be Tail End Charley - hoping to ride my 1150 this time and expect I'll be toward the rear anyway - allowing the more 'spirited' riders to go for it - Cheers Aslan

That looks like fun
17th April 2010, 16:15
Cheers Clint..
No don't think I know any of the Naki riders.would be good to contact a few. I gather we transport our own gear during the ride or do ya have a vehicle to ship bedding etc
Well its jolly well time you got to know some of us :yes: Bedding? Shipping? yes :shifty: Welcome to the dark side little one :rockon:

nothingflash
17th April 2010, 18:54
Clint - thanks for offering this event again - I enjoyed last year - have just committed - and yes I will bring sleeping mat for the Sat night - happy to volunteer to be Tail End Charley - hoping to ride my 1150 this time and expect I'll be toward the rear anyway - allowing the more 'spirited' riders to go for it - Cheers Aslan

And i will probably join you back there... not through careful planning either

Aslan
18th April 2010, 10:18
And i will probably join you back there... not through careful planning either

cheers nothingflash, it's a great ride and has attracted a large number of riders already - I'm conscious I'm not the fastest of riders so hence will opt to be near the back - :)

nothingflash
18th April 2010, 15:25
cheers nothingflash, it's a great ride and has attracted a large number of riders already - I'm conscious I'm not the fastest of riders so hence will opt to be near the back - :)

Yep, I'm looking forward to it

NordieBoy
18th April 2010, 19:05
I'm conscious I'm not the fastest of riders so hence will opt to be near the back - :)

Not fast at all...
http://www.photostorage.nelson.geek.nz/sports/motorsport/mybikes/Trips/20090103%20Dusty%20Butt%202009/slides/20090104-144810-000428.jpg

dino3310
18th April 2010, 19:31
that should be 1 for the calendar

Aslan
19th April 2010, 18:53
Not fast at all...
http://www.photostorage.nelson.geek.nz/sports/motorsport/mybikes/Trips/20090103%20Dusty%20Butt%202009/slides/20090104-144810-000428.jpg

thanks Fran - I enjoyed that 2009 DB with you and the rest of the Southern Men - you've captured me attacking a stream (on my forgiving - for me - DR) in the Braeburn if my memory serves me correctly - cheers S

clint640
19th April 2010, 19:03
Cheers Clint..

You probably should meet up with Mr Colin 'That looks like fun' for the ride over. You got it, carry your own stuff. With luck we'll be able to round up a few more mattresses out at the station however all but the first 18 to register should bring something to be on the safe side. Be good to have ya along.

In again thanks Clint.

Cool! great to have plenty of the regulars along too. Don't worry too much about your pace Aslan, I was actually pretty impressed with how quickly such a large group moved on the last MMMMM.

Cheers
Clint

igormortis
19th April 2010, 19:51

Wellington Airhead contingent perhaps?

Eddieb
19th April 2010, 19:59
Wellington Airhead contingent perhaps?

I'm hoping to do the MMMM on the 950 if I've got the rear shock sorted out.

junkmanjoe
19th April 2010, 20:49
pre caution notice..

JMJ's 9fiddy will have a wide ass....:o this time round...

so till i get uesd to my new big bum might be a good idea to keep clear...:mellow:

JMJ

dino3310
19th April 2010, 22:42
so till i get uesd to my new big bum might be a good idea to keep clear...:mellow:

JMJ

NEW!!! :shit::shutup:

LuckyJinx
21st April 2010, 01:34
:laugh:[Sleeping bag & wet weather gear, reckon the KLR will handle it? ]
Haha yes it struggles or more accuratly the rider does. KLR does spend quiet a bit of time parked at the side of the track... waiting while we put orange bikes back together .:laugh:
Kidding. was more thinkin if my other half is still in NZ she will prob want to come. As she won't get on the bike in that temp the thought is we could throw some of the gear into the cruiser and she meet us at the stops.

reofix
26th April 2010, 19:00
right... sleeping on the floor ... probably snowing ... definitely raining... long days ... dodgy companions... hmmm .....opportunities like this dont come along every day ... count me in!

gunnyrob
2nd May 2010, 08:20
looks like I'll have to have a crack at it again, hopefully this time I'll get back under my own steam........

Aslan
2nd May 2010, 14:28
looks like I'll have to have a crack at it again, hopefully this time I'll get back under my own steam........

gunnyrob - as a fellow GS owner I empathize with you - love your self deprecating humour - going to take my chances this year - planning on riding my 'leven fiddy. Hope to see you there and yes I'll be approaching that last stream crossing at the end of the Motu with some caution. Last year I think I was last to enter on my DR and succeeded in choosing the deepest spot! - cheers Aslan

barrie
2nd May 2010, 18:56
Just registered for the ride, looking forward to checking out central NI gravel.

Cheers,

Barrie.

reofix
4th May 2010, 21:52
31 !!!!!!!!!! Gol Darn It ..... We got ourselves a convoy.........

GPS MAN
6th May 2010, 04:00
You can count me in...But, this is our busy time of the year for selling equipment... So, will have to confirm at the last minute...Sorry!

Looks like a Great Ride!

clint640
6th May 2010, 08:24
You can count me in...But, this is our busy time of the year for selling equipment... So, will have to confirm at the last minute...Sorry!

Looks like a Great Ride!

No worries, but the 'last minute' falls on Monday 26 July so we can organise the numbers for dinner out at the station.

Cheers
Clint

jafar
8th May 2010, 10:35
Pencil me in for this ride too, I'll confirm nearer to the time:D

bigfish
10th May 2010, 16:04
Hi,ok if I tag along with Agricon? Thanks..Keith
Hi Clint
I wouldn't mind tagging a long if there is any space left?
Cheers
Andy

junkmanjoe
10th May 2010, 19:13
think we got our selfs a motorcycle convoy.......yea harr..................

JMJ

agricon
13th May 2010, 07:05
Hi,ok if I tag along with Agricon? Thanks..Keith

Sounds great Keith, we'll catch up and sort out details.
Cheers

clint640
13th May 2010, 10:12
think we got our selfs a motorcycle convoy.......yea harr..................

JMJ

No shit! 33 registered plus at last count another 6 non KB riders also keen. Not to worry, it's a big woolshed.

Clint

Taz
13th May 2010, 10:35
You've created a monster! Was less than 10 of us on my first one I think?

clint640
13th May 2010, 11:59
You've created a monster!

*Insert evil laugh here*

However given a nice filthy weather forecast the week before numbers could drop from 40 to 14 pretty quick from past experience.

Clint

junkmanjoe
13th May 2010, 19:33
well i have booked holidays of work,, so im there rain, hail, snow, or shine.....
looking forward to the weekend,

will be back tracking round the coro loop and east cape after the ride..so extra looking forward to this weekend..

JMJ

clint640
14th May 2010, 09:20
im there rain, hail, snow, or shine.....
looking forward to the weekend,

That's the spirit mate! If you want to stay at my place on the Sunday night you are most welcome.

Cheers
Clint

odie
15th May 2010, 13:39
Ok - so assuming my partner still lets me tag along as a pillion - what is the format of the weekend and how cold are we talking here?? For someone who feels the cold what sort of layers will I need to bring?? :cold:

Crisis management
15th May 2010, 13:51
Does this help.........it snowed on saturday.

odie
15th May 2010, 14:01
Hmmm just a tad chilly then... has anyone got or used heated vests?

Eddieb
15th May 2010, 15:27
Ok - so assuming my partner still lets me tag along as a pillion - what is the format of the weekend and how cold are we talking here?? For someone who feels the cold what sort of layers will I need to bring?? :cold:

This was from last year going through the Urewera's.

Taz
15th May 2010, 17:24
Hmmm just a tad chilly then... has anyone got or used heated vests?

good thermals under your bike gear and you'll be fine. If it looks to be a wet weekend a cheap raincoat and wet pants over your gear provides a good outer shell to keep the rain and chill out. I got a set of rain gear from RD1 for $67 as I stopped trusting bike gear to be waterproof for anything other than a short trip or a light shower many years ago. Way back when I started riding on my honda C50 I had some yellow pvc rain gear - cheap and never leaked.

tig99
15th May 2010, 19:50
for a bit of extra warmth i use a wetsuit vest from the wharehouse. Keeps your chest warm without hindering the movement of arms. Haven't been could enough to dare use a full suit, would be ok for river crossings. With flippers and mask and snorkel might be a bit extreme, besides looking like a dork.

junkmanjoe
15th May 2010, 20:15
. Haven't been could enough to dare use a full suit, would be ok for river crossings. With flippers and mask and snorkel might be a bit extreme, besides looking like a dork.

thats some funny shit right there..........................

but yea just some warehouse thermal undies and ya be sweet...

odie
15th May 2010, 20:54
might need a bit more than just thermal undies!! haha

junkmanjoe
15th May 2010, 21:09
they work well, thats all i use, the longer sleeve ones and the long johns , by the time you get them on, and some clothes and then ya riding gear,,,, start looking like the Michelin man...

you be fine..biker chicks are tough...

JMJ

Shewolf
16th May 2010, 10:30
all of them ;)

how cold are we talking here?? For someone who feels the cold what sort of layers will I need to bring?? :cold:

Rosie
16th May 2010, 16:32
all of them ;)
My record for last year was 6 layers underneath my motorbike jacket :mellow: but I tend to feel the cold :o

Taz
16th May 2010, 16:47
Rosie...... Why does it now say WR250R next to bike at the top of your posts?? Come on tell all......

:oi-grr: How am I going to keep up now??

Rosie
16th May 2010, 17:25
Rosie...... Why does it now say WR250R next to bike at the top of your posts?? Come on tell all......

:oi-grr: How am I going to keep up now??

I picked it up yesterday. And rode back from Hamilton in the rain :( with no heated grips :(
Official press release, and photos, tomorrow :)

dino3310
16th May 2010, 17:32
AWESOME Rosie nice one. look forward to the photos and write up

junkmanjoe
16th May 2010, 19:54
AWESOME Rosie nice one. look forward to the photos and write up

you on this ride aye mate..

JMJ

dino3310
16th May 2010, 20:10
na mate not this time

junkmanjoe
16th May 2010, 20:25
na mate not this time
:mellow::no::(:weep::pinch::crybaby:

JMJ

dino3310
16th May 2010, 20:55
:mellow::no::(:weep::pinch::crybaby:

JMJ

chin up lad, kia kaha :hug:

Shewolf
16th May 2010, 21:29
oooooo do tell. Hows it run, got pickup? Easy to reach ground? Oh and what colour!?!

Speaking of gloves and rain - I went out looking for gravel in the torrential rain Orewa experienced yesterday (what fun the flooded roads!!) does anyone know a really really good waterproof brand of gloves? I can handle wet, I can handle heated grips and wet but surely there must be something better than the ole rubber glove treatment over ya gloves??

I picked it up yesterday. And rode back from Hamilton in the rain :( with no heated grips :(
Official press release, and photos, tomorrow :)

NordieBoy
17th May 2010, 15:40
Speaking of gloves and rain - I went out looking for gravel in the torrential rain Orewa experienced yesterday (what fun the flooded roads!!) does anyone know a really really good waterproof brand of gloves? I can handle wet, I can handle heated grips and wet but surely there must be something better than the ole rubber glove treatment over ya gloves??

New rubber gloves...

http://www.rain-off.com/

Made in UnZud.

Shewolf
17th May 2010, 16:03
cool - thanks!

New rubber gloves...

http://www.rain-off.com/

Made in UnZud.

Horney1
19th May 2010, 23:32
No shit! 33 registered plus at last count another 6 non KB riders also keen. Not to worry, it's a big woolshed.

Clint

Gidday Clint & others,

I got back to NZ with my 990 late last year and now the bike's finally going well. So I'm keen to do a few rides and meet people.

This looks like a great ride which covers a number of places on my to go with the 990 list so could you please pencil me in? I'm going to try to be there. I think I have to book at the woolshed or something, don't I? I'll check once I've posted this.

I've ridden/ driven around the Kiangaroa area a fair bit in the past. I also did a mountainbike ride from Rot to Waikaremoana & then out to Opotiki via the bush route! :eek5: ( the horsebacked locals said it was the first time they had seen a mountainbiker down there :D ). So it includes roads that I have known and enjoy.

I look forward to the ride!

Cheers

clint640
20th May 2010, 14:05
Gidday Clint & others,

I got back to NZ with my 990 late last year and now the bike's finally going well. So I'm keen to do a few rides and meet people.

This looks like a great ride which covers a number of places on my to go with the 990 list so could you please pencil me in? I'm going to try to be there. I think I have to book at the woolshed or something, don't I? I'll check once I've posted this.

Good stuff! Looks like you've found the calendar & signed up, so you're set for the Sat night, as per the 1st post you need to book yourself a bed at the pub or the lodge if you plan to stay out at Rangitaiki on the Fri night.

Cheers
Clint

Horney1
21st May 2010, 19:24
Good stuff! Looks like you've found the calendar & signed up, so you're set for the Sat night, as per the 1st post you need to book yourself a bed at the pub or the lodge if you plan to stay out at Rangitaiki on the Fri night.

Cheers
Clint

Yep, sorted for Friday, thanks Clint. I'll probably do the early Saturday ride to there.

junkmanjoe
20th June 2010, 21:15
Clint any updates, got any special stages for us this year..

JMJ

t3mp0r4ry nzr
21st June 2010, 06:51
just saw this thread. Rally Motu 2010. Kean!
edit: RE pics of snow. will pack hottie and thermos! awesome. registered

clint640
21st June 2010, 10:30
:msn-wink:
Clint any updates, got any special stages for us this year..

JMJ

With 40+ starters I think I'll be too busy herding cats to lead any side trips. There are a few little side tracks around the lakes on the way back to my place that we might have a look at on the Sunday if it's a nice afternoon.

just saw this thread. Rally Motu 2010. Kean!
edit: RE pics of snow. will pack hottie and thermos! awesome. registered

Cool. Make sure the hottie knows what she's in for. :msn-wink:I'm taking one too but as she's got her own bike I don't get much hotness while on the go :D

Cheers
Clint

Rosie
21st June 2010, 11:27
Cool. Make sure the hottie knows what she's in for. :msn-wink:I'm taking one too but as she's got her own bike I don't get much hotness while on the go :D

Yeah, hotness-on-the-go could be kind of challenging, since you are leading, and I'm tail end charlie.
Or were you talking about someone else? :o

GPS MAN
21st June 2010, 18:17
This ride is getting Bigger and Bigger:rockon:

It's going to be FUN!!!:scooter:

offrd
21st June 2010, 19:19
We will be hunted by the police and classed as a gang!

Who is making the gang patches!???

junkmanjoe
21st June 2010, 19:28
We will be hunted by the police and classed as a gang!

they only be looking for the noisy ones......................

Oh CRAP THATS US....

offrd
21st June 2010, 19:32
Yeah well that be me for sure!

New tyre fitted the other day for this ride! Metzler karoo or something like that!

navek
21st June 2010, 19:35
Hi Clint

Mate Matt cannot make it already booked in but will be replaced by my son Rohan, is that all that you need?

Cheers

clint640
22nd June 2010, 16:26
Hi Clint

Mate Matt cannot make it already booked in but will be replaced by my son Rohan, is that all that you need?

Cheers

No worries, I'm noting down any non KB starters in my diary. Anyone else that wants to bring a mate isn't on KB just let me know & print out the info for them.

Cheers
Clint

GLG
23rd June 2010, 21:11
one more coming with me that ok

tri boy
24th June 2010, 20:17
Holy shit balls Clint. Going by the number attending in the calender thread, you'll be able to invade Murupara and declare yourself El Presidente:stoogie:
Either that or give everybody some CB radio's and go Convoy.
Call signs will be needed.
Crisis could be "Pig Pen", MxNut -Dozer, Trustme-GreyHair etc etc
Marks, well, we all call him nasty names behind his back anyhow:lol:
Ride on ladies and gents:headbang:

(before you lot slag me for not going, I'm pre/double booked already:().

clint640
25th June 2010, 08:48
one more coming with me that ok

No problem, as long as he knows he's sleeping on the floor at Matawai.

Cheers
Clint

Waihou Thumper
25th June 2010, 17:38
Woolshed is cosy, smelly but cosy! :) I may be heading that way again this year too Clint, but at this stage cannot commit mate....SO, I will bunk with the mice, rats, cats and oily fleeces again....Was a great nights' sleep actually....:)

trustme
26th June 2010, 10:01
Crisis could be "Pig Pen", MxNut -Dozer, Trustme-GreyHair:().

Young fellas got no respec these days.:nono::nono::nono: It's ' salt & pepper ' if you don't mind .:nya:

marks
26th June 2010, 11:50
Marks, well, we all call him nasty names behind his back anyhow:lol:
if you arent carefull I'll come along on this ride just to make your life miserable (I'll stand in front of your bike on every slippery uphill)
you ghost shagging pommy tin riding deviant :yes:

GPS MAN
27th June 2010, 09:46
Well, looking at my schedule I should be able to make it...So, I am signed up......looking forward to a good ride..

Come on Mark---you know you want to help me up another slippery hill!!:scooter:

Ha!:no:

MXNUT
27th June 2010, 11:14
(before you lot slag me for not going, I'm pre/double booked already:().

Dont think for 1 second that feeble excuse, will get you out of a slagging off.

Roj
2nd July 2010, 19:04
Signing up for this, EddieB is going to lend some of his harden up pills to make sure I don't wimp out, and that means I need to check out the bike I will be riding, let me see, an old 1976 goldwing or a not quite as old XT600

Roj

dino3310
2nd July 2010, 19:12
some E07's on the GL would be safice

Roj
2nd July 2010, 19:16
some E07's on the GL would be safice

that would mean having less money for beer

dino3310
2nd July 2010, 19:23
that would mean having less money for beer

mmmmmm......... sell the XT, buy tyres and lots of beer

Waihou Thumper
2nd July 2010, 21:40
Signing up for this, EddieB is going to lend some of his harden up pills to make sure I don't wimp out, and that means I need to check out the bike I will be riding, let me see, an old 1976 goldwing or a not quite as old XT600

Roj

Goldwing will be fine...:) Carry the XT on the back as insurance...:)

Night Falcon
2nd July 2010, 22:45
Was thinking very seriously about joining you fearless adventurers on this one....unfortueately Iv'e got a dodgy leg getting fixed the week before which will be curtailing my adventuring for the sort term. Incedentaly , I had a good chat with the store owner at Matawi when I was there a few months back...he was telling me about the snow fall last year, worst he'd seen!! youse fullas might need to pack ya chains just in case!

I will look forward to full and detailed ride reports, photo's and video commentaries.

Love ya work.

That looks like fun
9th July 2010, 18:41
I'm bored :mellow:, can we go tomorrow Clint? can we can we :shifty: Pulled the beast apart for some open heart surgery (lubing the splines to the layman). Gave the starter motor a little pat while I was in there and asked it not to be naughty this year. It promised to behave unless I fill it with water again. :bye:
Cm-on already, lets go :yes:

junkmanjoe
9th July 2010, 19:12
YEA im excited to try out my new luggage.....

and yes i can fit a shit load of stuff in them.........................A SHIT LOAD....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets go riding now every body's learning how,,,, come on safari with me...............

JMJ & 9FIDY

NordieBoy
9th July 2010, 19:46
Portaloo ?

junkmanjoe
9th July 2010, 19:51
Portaloo ?

top box, that would work..

Ant
9th July 2010, 20:50
Hey Joe...the top box was great, worked a treat, used it on our last ride... :-)

junkmanjoe
9th July 2010, 20:54
Oh Ant thats just nasty....
you get to clean it out....:sick:

JMJ

jafar
9th July 2010, 23:50
Looks like I'm out this year,:angry: Changing jobs & can't get the time off to come:gob:
Selling my BMW wasn't the best move either:bye:

That looks like fun
10th July 2010, 00:06
Mental note to self "lock top box when leaving it unattended" :sick:

Night Falcon
10th July 2010, 10:17
top box, that would work..

...might give the wrong impression when you tell people about doin "skids"the 9fiddy??

Eddieb
12th July 2010, 12:54
Getting excited now.

Picked up the 950 shock from TSS Saturday morning with newly adjusted gas pressure so I reckon that should be spot on now, my replacement luggage bag arrived from Trade me over the weekend to replace the one I melted on the PD headers and a set of Ventura L brackets should arrive at TSS tomorrow for me to fit this weekend.

dino3310
12th July 2010, 13:56
Getting excited now.

Picked up the 950 shock from TSS Saturday morning with newly adjusted gas pressure so I reckon that should be spot on now, my replacement luggage bag arrived from Trade me over the weekend to replace the one I melted on the PD headers and a set of Ventura L brackets should arrive at TSS tomorrow for me to fit this weekend.

nice mate nice, so we can see some pics up this weekend then:yes:
you gunna have to sell the PD soon as to pay for the bling

Eddieb
12th July 2010, 15:51
you gunna have to sell the PD soon as to pay for the bling

Hurry up and buy it then.

Have progressed getting the PD organised for sale a little:

I dug through my spares and I did have a spare spark lead and cap so I just need to fit that now
A new indicator has been ordered to replace the one with a broken stalk.
A magnet has been sourced for the speedo sensor so that just needs glueing onto the front hub.

So an hour or 2 in the garage should see it right to take down for a WOF, this weekend however is dedicated to getting the 950 ready for the MMMMM ride.

Waihou Thumper
15th July 2010, 03:34
Okay, have made the plans, thought about it enough now...Hard to say no really given the amount of bikes going....Gonna be huge! Have to bring my tent I guess.....Looks like the woolshed is going to be full as well Clint...:shit:

clint640
15th July 2010, 09:31
Okay, have made the plans, thought about it enough now...Hard to say no really given the amount of bikes going....Gonna be huge! Have to bring my tent I guess.....Looks like the woolshed is going to be full as well Clint...:shit:

No tents required, the woolshed is pretty big. We can probably fit 20+ in the shearers quarters part then there is heaps of room out in the shearing floor. Not so cosy out in the shed however so bring a good sleeping bag &/or a warm blanky.

This is a good time to remind people to bring a lilo, thermarest, camp mattress etc as well as your sleeping bag. It's not first come first served on the Sat night. The first 19 to sign up should get a bed, you know who you are. It is speed on the register button not speed on the day that determines who gets a bed :nono:

Cheers
Clint

clint640
15th July 2010, 13:48
Roll up roll up! Who wants a frosty beverage waiting for them at Journey's End on the Saturday? Malcolm at the station has offered to get some in for us, any beer you like as long as it's Tui, $12 per 6. Order now, bring the cash on the ride & enjoy a few of Mangatainoka's finest. :drinknsin

Please send me a PM with your order, that will make it a bit easier to keep track

Cheers
Clint

Waihou Thumper
15th July 2010, 14:50
Given the interest in the ride and the locale and uniquness of it etc...I wonder if we could get a Decal made for next year?
Would be good to get some imput from the guys and Gals out here to see what we could come up with in the way of a good design.
$5.00 each or something, similar to the way the Dusty Butt decal was overwhelmingly popular...
:yes:

Eddieb
15th July 2010, 15:23
I don't drink weasels piss beer but was able to pick up a few Woody's at Tiniroto pub last year.

+1 on the decal thing.

clint640
15th July 2010, 15:35
[COLOR=darkorange][I]Given the interest in the ride and the locale and uniquness of it etc...I wonder if we could get a Decal made for next year?
:

Although the MMMMM is hardly sticker worthy compared to the Dusty Butt, that's not a bad idea. Maybe we should sell em for $10 & give the profit to the rescue chopper? Any arty types want to get out their crayons & come up with a design?

Cheers
Clint

clint640
15th July 2010, 15:39
I don't drink weasels piss beer so picked up a few Woody's at Miniginui pub last year.

+1 on the decal thing.

I don't think it was Minginui, no pub there anymore. Probably the Tiniroto Pub - those wanting refreshments that aren't Tui should stock up there - it probably won't get too warm on the remaining section of the ride :sunny:

Clint

Eddieb
15th July 2010, 15:45
I don't think it was Minginui, no pub there anymore. Probably the Tiniroto Pub - those wanting refreshments that aren't Tui should stock up there - it probably won't get too warm on the remaining section of the ride :sunny:

Clint

Right you are sir, Tinaroto it was too (http://www.lakefalls.co.nz/tiniroto/id29.htm).

junkmanjoe
15th July 2010, 17:38
yup clint im keen on a stiker, and happy to give to the chopper boys...

im bringing my tent to put up in side the searing floor, just might make it a bit warmer in there..
oh and my camp mat and my -10 sleeping bag......:mellow:
ill put pen to paper and see what i can come up with in a sticker design..

JMJ.

Ant
15th July 2010, 18:51
Sticker, decal, T-shirt, whatever.... sounds like a great idea and a good fundraiser... put me down for sure :-)

MXNUT
15th July 2010, 18:59
41 people signed up for this ride as of now.:chase:
Hope you have all booked in at the rangiteki pub!! :Pokey:
Wouldnt want to all just turn up there with no warning, they might run out of BEER :drinknsin and that would be a disaster of global proportions. :weep:

nothingflash
16th July 2010, 20:06
Sticker, decal, T-shirt, whatever.... sounds like a great idea and a good fundraiser... put me down for sure :-)

Absolutely - me too!

clint640
20th July 2010, 10:43
Just sent out a PM to those who have signed up asking for confirmation of attendance, since it will be such a big group I want to give my friends out at the Station plenty of notice re numbers for a feed on the Sat night.

If you have already ordered some beers I've taken it as a given that you're gunna turn up so I didn't send you a PM.

Cheers
Clint

bigfish
20th July 2010, 16:05
Is there SKY?- Bledisloe on Sat Nite. Mite make a differance how much beer is needed!!

reofix
20th July 2010, 20:10
some other midwinter madness has forced me out ... grrr... looking forward to reports and pics

MXNUT
20th July 2010, 22:47
There ain't even cell phone coverage sheesh!

Thats what makes it such an appealing place.:yes:

clint640
21st July 2010, 09:29
Is there SKY?- Bledisloe on Sat Nite. Mite make a differance how much beer is needed!!

Actually I think there may be SKY TV, It depends on whether there is a shepherd living in the shearers quarters or not. Otherwise I may be able to persuade Malcolm to drag over his sky box & big TV for the evening.

Cheers
Clint

Eddieb
21st July 2010, 09:54

Rugby, Meh.

NZKTM's dakar vids he bought last year is a far better idea.

clint640
21st July 2010, 10:48
Rugby, Meh.

NZKTM's dakar vids he bought last year is a far better idea.

Oooh yeah, definitely bring the new dakar vids. In fact if anyone has any good bike DVDs bring them along. I'm usually fairly ambivalent about rugby too but Bledisloe cup games are sometimes ok to watch.

Cheers
Clint

Cary
21st July 2010, 12:16
Good days ride under the belt, ride stories, big screen tv, sheep station, shearing shed, middle of nowhere, beer, roast meal and Oz v All Blacks on the TV.......

Yep, i'm keen, you? :banana:

gunnyrob
21st July 2010, 16:41
Bollocks bollocks bollocks!!!!!

Just got Max serviced and the new brake fluid has blown the front brake master cylinder!

Sebastian reckons the new one will get in from Germanland in about a fortnight. I'll have to give the ride a miss.

The only good thing is I found out now instead of on the ride (for some weirdass reason I have no desire or inclination to wait another 9 hours for Mr AA to show up when I crash due to having no brakes.)

Have fun boys and girls, play dirty.

Eddieb
21st July 2010, 16:56

Just got Max serviced and the new brake fluid has blown the front brake master cylinder!

Sebastian reckons the new one will get in from Germanland in about a fortnight. I'll have to give the ride a miss.

The only good thing is I found out now instead of on the ride (for some weirdass reason I have no desire or inclination to wait another 9 hours for Mr AA to show up when I crash due to having no brakes.)

You really need to take that bike for a long ride off a short pier.

Waihou Thumper
21st July 2010, 17:04

Because of the antics of said Beener last year, I invested in the Plus with AA. Paid dividends too as I was stuck for a few hours with no teeth left on my sprocket...(don't ask how, I dunno?) Anyway, the bill to take me home was over $800...I was pleased I spent that extra few bucks! I told him your story too.....:) He would have been there in five mate...(hours) :yes:

Creeper
21st July 2010, 19:15
Just sent out a PM to those who have signed up asking for confirmation of attendance, since it will be such a big group I want to give my friends out at the Station plenty of notice re numbers for a feed on the Sat night.

If you have already ordered some beers I've taken it as a given that you're gunna turn up so I didn't send you a PM.

Cheers
Clint

Hey Guys

BUGGER IT ALL!!!

Wife was due to have surgery in what we thought was to be 2 -3 months time.....then got a call today to say they are going to operate on Monday. So that puts me on child & house duties for the next week or 2.
So no MMMMM for me

First to reply to this can have my bed in the shears quarters. Also I have a bed book at the Lodge on Friday night so sent me a PM if anyone want to take that booking

Enjoy the ride & stay safe

Cheers

Dave

Ant
21st July 2010, 19:52
Cheers for that :-) that bed at the shearers quarters has my name on it "Ant"

Crisis management
21st July 2010, 20:16
Dropping like flies

Yer right, and it's only just started raining as well.........

Maybe we should run a sweep on the worst excuse used?

Creeper
21st July 2010, 20:21
Yer right, and it's only just started raining as well.........

Maybe we should run a sweep on the worst excuse used?

well arn't you 2 a pair of cocks!!

Creeper
21st July 2010, 20:23
Cheers for that :-) that bed at the shearers quarters has my name on it "Ant"

all good Ant. will let Clint know

Crisis management
21st July 2010, 21:08
well arn't you 2 a pair of cocks!!

My apologies, that wasn't meant personally, but the last couple of rides have seen a "few" bails at the last minute due to weather and I was merely taking the piss at all and sundry.

Hope your wifes surgery goes well and she recovers quickly.

Iain

Waihou Thumper
21st July 2010, 21:19
My apologies, that wasn't meant personally, but the last couple of rides have seen a "few" bails at the last minute due to weather and I was merely taking the piss at all and sundry.

Hope your wifes surgery goes well and she recovers quickly.

Iain

Hardly call 7 days out last minute, although it is raining here at present...:)
I am sure you meant well Iain and of course I recall times where we have bailed for one reason or another right? Regardless, it is nice to know and I hope all goes well.....
On another note NZKTM may bail as well, due to the fact that some bugger turned up with 'folding' and I have no wheels...for the time being...

junkmanjoe
21st July 2010, 21:26
Ant you bitch...can i have your bed please :love: sweety, let you ride my bike....:angry: NOT

JMJ

Waihou Thumper
21st July 2010, 21:28
Ant you bitch...can i have your bed please :love: sweety, let you ride my bike....:angry: NOT

JMJ

The shearing shed is more than adequate. Now, you want A/C, heating, farts, burps and male bonding...sheesh!

junkmanjoe
21st July 2010, 21:31
Oh yea , wonder if that bed is up stairs,:shit:,in the pig pen.:shutup:.. ha Ant you sucker...

JMJ

Ant
21st July 2010, 21:44
Cheers Creeper :niceone:

Jeez Junkman I dont reckon you'll ever let me ride that monster of yours.... especially after ya thought I tried to kill you when you had that fun ride on the back of my bike the other day :gob:
didnt know you could throw those 650's overlike that aye :shit:

Feel real comfy just thinking about that bed.....sweeeet

trustme
21st July 2010, 21:51
Sorry , Ii'm out. Bike is in the doctors & is unlikely to be repaired in time. Fortunately the rider is in a better state than the bike. Don't ask !!!

Catch up with you soon Clint. Have a good ride guys

junkmanjoe
21st July 2010, 21:54
oh yea that dub home,,,, :gob:

the first time if felt scared on the back of a bike...:shit: thought we where in a moto GP with them cornering skills mate....:mellow:

all good mate..

im still alive to enjoy the MMMMM ride..and the best country feed you can lay ya eyes on....:yes:

JMJ

junkmanjoe
21st July 2010, 22:01
this seams to be in the feeling tonight..

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9E-WasNzVpI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9E-WasNzVpI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

sorry all you guys couldn't make it this year..

JMJ

Ant
21st July 2010, 22:08
:blink: didnt seem that bad to me...must have been worse on the back aye :yes:
Two big guys on a little bike probably had a bit to do with it, sorry mate.... Not that sorry I'll give ya my bed tho :whocares:

Waihou Thumper
21st July 2010, 22:10
Wow! I don't know what to say. So I'll say nothing :lol:

It happens...for all. Zip it...:shutup:........

junkmanjoe
21st July 2010, 22:13

what ya think of freddys tight pants andy, ya big cock...:shit:

junkmanjoe
21st July 2010, 22:17
I've always liked freddies tight pants you sheep shagging, gerbil molesting, dog humping dildo :shit: :shifty:

Ohhh you still like me.....thanks..:love:

Creeper
22nd July 2010, 11:19

is no big deal....was just poking a stick at you both....all good

junkmanjoe
22nd July 2010, 21:39
Clint, any special treats on the dinner table sat night...

the feed last year was so good..:yes:

JMJ

clint640
23rd July 2010, 10:51
Clint, any special treats on the dinner table sat night...

the feed last year was so good..:yes:

JMJ

Well I was talking to Malcolm last night & he said he had his eye on a tasty youg ewe that would look good on the spit roaster :yes:

Cheers
Clint

That looks like fun
23rd July 2010, 17:10
Helllooooo ewe :drool:

Ant
23rd July 2010, 19:14
Ahhhh.... a good bike ride, spit roast mutton , a tui .... life is good :yes:

Eddieb
23rd July 2010, 19:20
There was venison stew last year wasn't there? and beef if i recall correctly plus lasange and heaps of other stuff.

And there was pav for desert.

Saturday nights cost is worth the money.

Eddieb
24th July 2010, 19:49
Tell us a story Roj

How keen are you to do your first MMMMM, which is also your first group ADV ride?

Waihou Thumper
24th July 2010, 19:52
Tell us a story Roj

How keen are you to do your first MMMMM, which is also your first group ADV ride?

Ummm , you were trying really hard to get the first bunk! Well, no issue there of course, you made it well ahead of time......would have been a bit lonely and hungry though....:laugh:

Roj
24th July 2010, 20:52
OK, so nominations for wally of the week goes to: Roj:gob:

For some reason my wife and I had it fixed in our minds the ride was this weekend, so I was up several late nights last week getting things sorted and rode of in to the moonlit morning, getting to the pub at 8:06 thinking, damn, they left without me, so after racing around and not being able to figure out what roads to take, I ended up at Waikaremoana :Oops:

It was a great day for a ride

Tell us a story Roj

nothingflash
24th July 2010, 21:10
OK, so nominations for wally of the week goes to: Roj:gob:

For some reason my wife and I had it fixed in our minds the ride was this weekend, so I was up several late nights last week getting things sorted and rode of in to the moonlit morning, getting to the pub at 8:06 thinking, damn, they left without me, so after racing around and not being able to figure out what roads to take, I ended up at Waikaremoana :Oops:

It was a great day for a ride

Bloody hell!! :shit::doh:

Roj
24th July 2010, 21:26
I am certain I will be reminded of this frequently next weekend, either that or I will be too embarrassed to show my face:stupid:

A good keen man none the less

Bloody hell!! :shit::doh:

junkmanjoe
24th July 2010, 21:28
so a preeeeeee ride aye, are the roads in good order.
at least you know which way to go next weekend..
just remember dont go with out the rest off us..

on ya mate..

JMJ

Box'a'bits
24th July 2010, 21:42
For some reason my wife and I had it fixed in our minds the ride was this weekend, so I was up several late nights last week getting things sorted and rode of in to the moonlit morning, getting to the pub at 8:06 thinking, damn, they left without me, so after racing around and not being able to figure out what roads to take, I ended up at Waikaremoana :Oops:It was a great day for a ride
Don't feel bad. I nearly did the same. I booked friday & monday (23rd & 26th) off work this week. But at least I discovered that I'd cocked up last weekend. That was how I was able to take this Friday off to grab the Beemer - my calender was miracluously clear....:bye:

Roj
24th July 2010, 21:43
There was a section that had road works signs on it, I could not tell the difference between that part and the gravel roads before and after the signs:confused:

so a preeeeeee ride aye, are the roads in good order.
at least you know which way to go next weekend..
just remember dont go with out the rest off us..

on ya mate..

JMJ

dino3310
24th July 2010, 21:45
I think Roj should get free Beer:yes:
or shout everyone else:shutup:

Taz
24th July 2010, 22:26
If that's all it takes to get free beer I'm going to ride it tomorrow. Who's coming with me? :)

junkmanjoe
25th July 2010, 19:11
final days counting down.....................4-3-2-1-:scooter:

would there be any riders interested in joining our small group on the way home, down the east cape, we spending sunday arvo monday and tues to ride down the east coast to our homes..:yes:

JMJ

wysper
26th July 2010, 21:03
How the FAARK did I miss this??

Well this will def be on my calendar for next year! Read through the thread and it sounds like a real blast.

Have fun guys!

junkmanjoe
26th July 2010, 21:19
Read through the thread and it sounds like a real blast.

Have fun guys!

:Punk:.........WE ALL WILL...........:Punk:

JMJ

Eddieb
26th July 2010, 21:25

Well this will def be on my calendar for next year! Read through the thread and it sounds like a real blast.

Have fun guys!

Mate, you're just up the road, you could come down for a day trip even.

You know you want to.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OSBR1N_NCiE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OSBR1N_NCiE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

junkmanjoe
26th July 2010, 22:35
oh bugger that,, that doesn't look like fun at all..................NOT:Punk:

clint640
27th July 2010, 10:50
It's still looking like a healthy turnout with 33 confirmed plus a few others maybe tagging along for the day. The forecast for Friday & Saturday looks good, maybe a few showers on Sunday.

Anybody coming from the North/East who wants to join us on Friday for the scenic route over via Matahina, Murupara & Minginui (running some of the first part of the Sat ride in reverse) needs to be at my place 2pm Friday, we'll be heading off 2:15 at the latest, see map. Alternately be at the Galatea Rd turnoff on hwy 30 at Te Teko at 3pm. Be aware you will need 250km fuel range for this option as you have to get from Murupara - Rangitaiki, then all the way through to Waikaremoana.

The pub will be serving meals Fri night & breakfast from early Saturday morning.

We will be leaving the Rangitaiki Tavern at 8am Sat then heading to the western entrance to Pohokura Rd & along the back of the Kaingaroa Forest. We will run the cornerman system through here then regroup at the Minginui Rd turnoff on SH38. From there everyone can go at their own pace on through to the Waikaremoana Motor Camp where there is fuel & pies & we will regroup again.

From Waikaremoana everyone can make their own way down to Frasertown on SH38, those who need fuel or pies can go into Wairoa to top up. Then carry on up the Tiniroto Rd from Frasertown, about 36km up at Tiniroto is the Lake Falls Hotel. We will partake in some afternoon refreshments & regroup there. If you have any issues, decide to go somewhere else etc please leave a message at the pub, ph 06 863 7019, as we will be expecting you otherwise.

From Tiniroto we will again run the cornerman system & head through the backroads to Journeys End Station. See map.

The distances for Saturday are not huge, no one needs to go fast, but if you are running near the back of the pack please try & keep pie/photo/latte stops to a minimum so you get to the Station before dark.

The next day we will head out to Matawai on Te Wera Rd for fuel & pies, then off down the Motu Rd & out to Opotiki where we will regroup at the Hot Bread Shop cafe near the corner of hwy 35 & hwy 2. Some of the gang are peeling off to do East Cape at this point, some may head home, the rest of us will wiggle our way over to my place (see map) taking in a few more back roads.

Please print off these maps so you have a copy of the key ph numbers. There is bugger all cellphone coverage just about everywhere we are going.

Cheers
Clint

Roj
27th July 2010, 15:53
I am so keen I started last week, meet me at the Cambridge BP at 5:30 am saturday morning and we should be there on time to start:Punk:

Have fun guys!

nothingflash
27th July 2010, 18:26
We will run the cornerman system...

Evening all - with fear of looking like a complete knob...can someone explain the cornerman system please?

Aslan
27th July 2010, 18:49
Evening all - with fear of looking like a complete knob...can someone explain the cornerman system please?

Hi there ‘Nothingflash’ – look forward to meeting you on Friday

The Cornerman system is intended to ensure no one gets lost or left behind and that all of the group on a ride are accounted for when direction changes occur and the direction that should be taken is not immediately obvious to following riders.

The person following immediately behind the lead rider – in this instance I would expect Clint to be leading, stops wherever there is a direction change – typically at intersections and waits until the last rider has passed before rejoining the group. The more spirited riders use this situation to make there way to the front of the pack again.

There is likely to be a designated ‘tail end Charlie’ so there should be no doubt concerning whether all riders are accounted for and have understood the necessary direction change when tail end Charlie appears.

Hope this helps – cheers Aslan

That looks like fun
27th July 2010, 18:52
I thought it meant someone fell off at every corner man :shifty:

nothingflash
27th July 2010, 19:12

Cheers Aslan - it does. Yep see you in Plimmerton on Friday morning. Cheers John.

junkmanjoe
27th July 2010, 19:22
some where near taupo...:blink:

Shewolf
27th July 2010, 20:54
Have fun guys!

and guy-esses :D:ride:

MIXONE
27th July 2010, 20:57
Have fun you lot.Just remeber guys "It aint a race" eh mxnut.:yes:

Taz
27th July 2010, 21:40
Have fun you lot.Just remeber guys "It aint a race" eh mxnut.:yes:

Yeah MXNUT. You be gettin a bad rep :lol:

Howie
27th July 2010, 23:00
Thanks for the Maps, and phone numbers Clint, they are handy to have.:yes:

That looks like fun
28th July 2010, 04:00
At the CCA this year a gentleman stood up during the briefing and made the statement that slower bikes should pullover and allow faster bikes to pass. :yes: So when the knob on the two stroke tried to push past me as I was "surviving" (and it is just that on the big scooters) a narrow steep climb with loose metal :shit: could he have waited until I could pull over ? :angry:
Ever seen the roost from a bimmer in full shit? he has :innocent: Its about fun with a little bit of safety thrown in (not too much or it stops being fun :shifty: )
Yes :yes: its a ride, not a race (unless your winning) :blink:

Eddieb
28th July 2010, 07:02
At the CCA this year a gentleman stood up during the briefing and made the statement that slower bikes should pullover and allow faster bikes to pass. :yes: So when the knob on the two stroke tried to push past me as I was "surviving" (and it is just that on the big scooters) a narrow steep climb with loose metal :shit: could he have waited until I could pull over ? :angry:
Ever seen the roost from a bimmer in full shit? he has :innocent: Its about fun with a little bit of safety thrown in (not too much or it stops being fun :shifty: )
Yes :yes: its a ride, not a race (unless your winning) :blink:

I suspect that was the same guy that tried to squeeze through the 6 inches between my GS PD and the bank several times on one of the knarlier bits towards the end of the day. I almost leant over and made him part of the bank.

He got the same treatment from me.

Eddieb
28th July 2010, 08:05
Does anyone have a MMMMM gps tracklog from last year?

Mine is incomplete and Iwas trying to make a track up for this year.

clint640
28th July 2010, 09:29
Hi there ‘Nothingflash’ – look forward to meeting you on Friday

The Cornerman system is intended to ensure no one gets lost or left behind and that all of the group on a ride are accounted for when direction changes occur and the direction that should be taken is not immediately obvious to following riders.

The person following immediately behind the lead rider – in this instance I would expect Clint to be leading, stops wherever there is a direction change – typically at intersections and waits until the last rider has passed before rejoining the group. The more spirited riders use this situation to make there way to the front of the pack again.

There is likely to be a designated ‘tail end Charlie’ so there should be no doubt concerning whether all riders are accounted for and have understood the necessary direction change when tail end Charlie appears.

Yep thanks for that Aslan, I'll go over that again in the briefing Sat morning. A couple of things to add; the lead rider (me) will be wearing a hi vis vest, if you pass me in Kaingaroa I can almost guarantee you will get seriously lost, so don't. If I point at or am stopped at a corner & you are 1st in line behind me then you just got the job of directing everyone through there.

Rosie will be tail end Charlene for the cornerman sections & will also be wearing hi vis. If you are last & have to stop for something she will wait with you. If you are manning (or womanning) a corner, when you see Rosie you can carry on. If you normally wear hi vis can you please take it off for the sections where we are using the cornerman system to avoid confusion.

Of course the system means that the fastest riders get sent to the back often so there will be lots of passing, so as mentioned please keep an eye on your mirrors & try not to hold anyone up & don't be aggressive when passing.

Cheers
Clint

Rosie
28th July 2010, 09:58
Rosie will be tail end Charlene for the cornerman sections & will also be wearing hi vis. If you are last & have to stop for something she will wait with you. If you are manning (or womanning) a corner, when you see Rosie you can carry on. If you normally wear hi vis can you please take it off for the sections where we are using the cornerman system to avoid confusion.

:yes: Last year a few people stopped for photos etc, and waved me past, saying they would catch up. This led to a bit of confusion, and I left one of the cornermen behind :shit:
So this year, during the sections where I am TEC, I refuse to pass anyone :mellow:

wysper
28th July 2010, 11:22
Mate, you're just up the road, you could come down for a day trip even.

You know you want to.

Damn right I want to, just can't swing it this time.

I am so keen I started last week, meet me at the Cambridge BP at 5:30 am saturday morning and we should be there on time to start:Punk:

Hahah Classic. That is a good option. But not this time sadly, I will be watching out for next year though!!

MXNUT
28th July 2010, 17:12
Yeah MXNUT. You be gettin a bad rep :lol:

How can a little ole 4hundy get a bad rep. I aint got a big powerfull 525 / 640 or a stone throwing 9fiddy :Punk:

That looks like fun
28th July 2010, 17:23
Darn :shutup: The boss just brought me a nice new wet weather coat :yes: (he may not be aware of that:shifty:) Its Hi Vis :shit:
Toyota!!:whocares:

Night Falcon
28th July 2010, 18:43
next year...next year!!

DAZZLE
28th July 2010, 19:13
Hi guys ,new to this facebook stuff,just want too know if i can hook up for this ride this weekend
cheers DAZZLE

junkmanjoe
28th July 2010, 20:05
next year...next year!!

dude....thats shit mate....

and fidys only throw stones if your to close.............

JMJ

Horney1
28th July 2010, 20:08
:yes: :yes:

Horney1
28th July 2010, 20:09
dude....thats shit mate....

and fidys only throw stones if your to close.............

JMJ

+1 for the 990 :shifty:

Crisis management
28th July 2010, 20:25
Ok, that's me packed & organised, two more sleeps then the mayhem (sorry, sedate ride) begins.......see you lot at the pub friday!

Taz
28th July 2010, 21:16
:yes: Last year a few people stopped for photos etc, and waved me past, saying they would catch up. This led to a bit of confusion, and I left one of the cornermen behind :shit:
So this year, during the sections where I am TEC, I refuse to pass anyone :mellow:

Wasn't me (was it)? :) Probably was. Will leave camera at home this year.

Taz
28th July 2010, 21:19
next year...next year!!

I hate white boots.

MXNUT
28th July 2010, 21:25
Ok, that's me packed & organised, two more sleeps then the mayhem (sorry, sedate ride) begins.......see you lot at the pub friday!

New rear tyre fitted, bike serviced and gear nearly all packed.
Its Scary :gob: how organized i am

Taz
28th July 2010, 21:26
New rear tyre fitted, bike serviced and gear nearly all packed.
Its Scary :gob: how organized i am

You'll probably forget your key.

rogerh
28th July 2010, 22:57
By a kind twist of fate, looks like I can tag along as well.

Start getting ready tomorrow. Lucky I am not prone to panicking. May be a Saturday morning ride for me.....

Aslan
29th July 2010, 07:39

Start getting ready tomorrow. Lucky I am not prone to panicking. May be a Saturday morning ride for me.....

Be good to see you again Roger - cheers Stephen

Crisis management
29th July 2010, 08:19

Pull your finger out, I'm passing your front door (well, close-ish) about 9.00am friday, come with me, I know where I'm going! :shutup:

rogerh
29th July 2010, 08:26
Pull your finger out

Yeah yeah... The finger is out, but it is such a bitch having a day job:cry::cry:

Mine is a cruel mistress. Lucky I don't hate it all the time.

Night Falcon
29th July 2010, 18:06

lucky pig!! is anyone planing on uploaden daily commentaries, pictures and video footage for the benifit of the poor sods who cant join in the festivities???:innocent:

clint640
29th July 2010, 18:32
lucky pig!! is anyone planing on uploaden daily commentaries, pictures and video footage for the benifit of the poor sods who cant join in the festivities???:innocent:

Yep, absolutely, I'm taking along the laptop & broadband internet stick & will be uploading a detailed multimedia report as soon as the riding is done each day....

oh, hang on, um, theres no mobile coverage anywhere we're going... :shit: Bugger! How will I fill in my evenings now???

oh yeah, I know..... :beer::2thumbsup:woohoo::wari::apint::msn-wink:

Expect a full report when we get back.
Cheers
Clint

clint640
29th July 2010, 18:34
Safe travels to everybody heading off from faraway lands tomorrow morning to join the ride. Have fun & I look forward to seeing you all.

Cheers
Clint

That looks like fun
29th July 2010, 18:38
What :shit: No sky TV, no cellphone coverage, next thing you will tell us no power :shutup:
Bugger that :blink:, I might go for a bike ride instead ............................... hang on a minute :shifty:

Eddieb
29th July 2010, 19:21
The 950 is all loaded up, gassed and lubed.

Shewolf
29th July 2010, 20:24
:wari::eek:

dino3310
29th July 2010, 20:27
have fun dudes and dudessess:Punk:

junkmanjoe
29th July 2010, 21:07
yup my 9fidy is ready to roll....

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_r4RTcX8Awjo/TFFC_6IuVnI/AAAAAAAAH_s/a-I_gggJiek/s912/IMG_0284.JPG

see ya all at the start line.....

JMJ

Baldyman
29th July 2010, 21:13
Hope you all have a great ride. I had planned/hoped to make this ride as my first "adventure ride" but no matter how I tried, I am stuck down here in Christchurch till the week-end on business.

Have fun & Ride safe.

nothingflash
29th July 2010, 21:16

JMJ

Are those petrol cans underneath your grinder? :sherlock::)

junkmanjoe
29th July 2010, 21:23
you want to borrow them,,, yea not the best place to keep my gas i guess,,,,,:innocent:

JMJ

nothingflash
29th July 2010, 21:25
you want to borrow them,,, yea not the best place to keep my gas i guess,,,,,:innocent:

JMJ

Catch you tomorrow in mighty Sanson.:scooter:

Taz
29th July 2010, 22:21

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_r4RTcX8Awjo/TFFC_6IuVnI/AAAAAAAAH_s/a-I_gggJiek/s912/IMG_0284.JPG

JMJ

Fugn ell bro just how much shit you need? See ya all somewhere, some time.

gunnyrob
30th July 2010, 07:09
Happy trails Boys & Girls, Max is still a busted bustard. Have a great time, sorry I can't be there.

clint640
30th July 2010, 11:55
Righto, I'm damn near outta here. If anyone needs to get hold of me ph/txt before 3pm, after that leave a message at the Rangitaiki Tavern tonight or Journey's End tomorrow.

Cheers
Clint

DR Girl
1st August 2010, 12:07
Just to say I thoroughly enjoyed my day yesterday. Lovely to catch up with some of the old faces & meet some new. Nice to meet you Ronda :yes: Many thanks Clint & Rosie for organisining such a great ride , & Rosie for being Tail End Charlene. You just get to the meeting place & every one takes off ! Many thanks . . . . . love your HOT new bike.:first: A fast ride back to the Bay. Some day I'll get to do the 2 dayer. Could have done with some heated handle grips on the ride over. . . actually heated goggles as well !!!:cold: Hope you all had a very safe ride today & make it home safely.:2thumbsup

Pampera
1st August 2010, 12:31
I joined the Western division of the Wellington MMMMM crew striking force at Shell Mana at 0800 Friday. As part of our training we used the MMMMM as an exercise to develop tactics, one division advancing in the west via the Whanganui River Road the other in the east via Hawke’s Bay with the objective being to out flank and cut off the opposing forces. We believe this will be an approach that will deliver success in the next South Island Invasion.

We arrived in Taupo about 5 pm or so, after a leisurely and enjoyable ride up via Fordell and the River Road in perfect still and fine conditions, with a late lunch in Raetihi and dinner in an Irish bar in Taupo.

On Saturday before dawn it did not go to plan for me. Running my aircraft up in preparation for the dangerous mission I had a severe magneto drop and had to call it off (honest!).

Actually I had the third repeat of a serious intermittent fault on my 2007 F650 Dakar that periodically sees it refuse to start on a cold morning. I flagged this might happen to the Wellington crew the night before.

It first cost me the third day of the 2009 Yamaha Safari in Hanmer with no start in the morning. No fault found aside from a very slightly weak battery. In February this year it played up en route to the KTM Big Sky and resulted in me and Debbie being left at the start line in Oamaru with nothing salvageable from our three day ride. This time I ascertained a pattern in the instrument light start up pattern when the fault was active that in effect sent the message “don’t flatten the battery cranking, I will never start” (saving a flat battery being added to the root cause of an intermittent fault) and confirmed pre-heating with a heater restored the light pattern and allowed a start.

Despite the fault persisting for the first day at the dealer (thus being accepted as real) it cleared itself and bike did not fault for eight weeks at the dealer. I have some proper (2 valve twin) BMW’s to keep me mobile and after near $3000 down the tubes in relation to the lost South Island failures, did not particularly want to see the bike again - so no great loss.

I was given the bike back to see if it would fault again (!). I though the MMMMM would be a good test, some rough roads followed by a cold outside park overnight - bingo.

While I had packed a heat gun and extension cord (not something you normally see in a bike tool kit) I used the time I had set aside to pack and get ready for the off point 45 km away to strip the bike down and see if I could isolate the fault. It is obviously something electric that is jarred by rough roads and then does not allow a cold start in the morning after.

I found one wiring junction that when manipulated allows the normal start up check sequence to return (and be lost) and also confirmed that it is the fuel pump signal that is lost when it is not going to start. It should now be possible to have the problem fixed for good.

All the work has been under warranty as the bike was only 14 months old first failure (it is now nearly three years old) but it has been frustrating in the extreme. I got my 2001 Dakar new to relieve the need to keep a 20 year old flat twin running on demanding multi day Adventure rides (two up) and this it did splendidly for 6 years. I only got the 2007 as it was the last chance to reset my Dakar to new again, it was the last Dakar sold in the last batch of four to come here. What a mistake, it was step backwards and I wish I still had the old black and white!

But feeling very good about finally finding the problem.

With the bike now running I packed and set off for the start point at about 0750, knowing I would almost certainly be too late. It was freezing and with freezing fog banks and a worry of ice my speed was low and I was forced to stop and wash thick ice from the fog freezing to my visor. My gear had ice on the leading surfaces. I don’t know how those of you who made the run before sunrise made it, unless the fog was stirred up by the sunrise. I got to the fog and frost shrouded Rangataiki Hotel at 0832 and, not unsurprisingly, not a bike to be seen!

I had little idea of the exact route, I am slow at the best of times so had no chance of catching up, and was nervous about riding frozen gravel roads on my own so set sail for home. Great ride home, still and fine but COLD! Praise be for heated grips.

Only at Café Utopia in Ohakune did I realise how cold I was, it had seeped in slowly starting with the cold soak on the run to Rangataiki and back and the extra distance over the diversion around the Desert Road. Still they have great magazines at Utopia, motorcycle ones and this time a copy of The Aeroplane, so no hardship lingering over a long black and muffin (blueberry and choc chip if you ask).

I took the opportunity for a leisurely and enjoyable visit to the Army Museum. It was so cold that the left fork seal popped when I rode over a kerb to the park. No sign of it leaking again, I think it was a one off from cold rubber and cold congealed oil.

Absolutely magic ride home, still and fine, almost no traffic and mild temperatures once off the Plateau. Disappointed to miss the ride but not disappointed about finding the fault and having yesterday’s ride instead of wind and rain Sunday.

Looking forward to the reports and pictures of the great riding and enjoyable company that I missed though. I bet you had a rip roaring time at the woolshed. Sorry to let you down Clint, will PM to organise my payment.

Bring on JMJ’s ride, I will be DR350 mounted for that one!

Thanks for offering to help Joe – but I knew the drill and no point in spoiling your ride as well!

Still like Dakar’s, road bike comfortable, great two up on the ride to and from remote Adventures and good for long days two up in the back country, once a year service, over 400 km fuel range and 70+ mpg on regular is normal and they are just all around easyand convenient to use. Pity I replaced my good one with one I am sad to say is too typical of today’s BMW Motorad quality.

Michael

merv
1st August 2010, 13:14
Mike that is a sad story to hear, but looking at the weather I'm glad I had a lot of other things on as an excuse for not going on that ride.

Roj
1st August 2010, 16:32
Thanks for a great weekend, there were some times when I was wondering what the hell am I doing, but being new to adventure riding, this was a great ride, Clint's organisation made it possible to be able to go at my own pace, which varied from slow to painfully slow,

And here is a picture that I snapped that made me realise this:

BUGGER! that's Rosie (Tail end Charlie)

Roj
1st August 2010, 16:44
I don't know how I got there either, left home near Hamilton at 5am, the stretch from Atiamuri through to Taupo was Fog and heavy frost, rode all the way to Taupo with my visor up as it was the only way I could see, I had ice on my eyebrows by the time I got to Rangitikei, my toes were so cold I thought they had fallen off:shit:

Snip

I don’t know how those of you who made the run before sunrise made it, unless the fog was stirred up by the sunrise. I got to the fog and frost shrouded Rangataiki Hotel at 0832 and, not unsurprisingly, not a bike to be seen!

Snip

Michael