PDA

View Full Version : Question about the recommended scheduled servicing.

mattian
8th April 2010, 16:22
The bike was coming up for her scheduled 12,000 k service not so long ago and, with the recession and what have you, and work being so quiet I was skint..... literally living off 2 minute noodles for weeks. Wasn't able to afford the service so, skipped it hoping to get it done at the earliest opportunity. Because its my commuter bike I have no other choice but to ride it everyday and, its now coming up to about 14,000ks.
Is there much I should be worried about? having gone a few thousand ks past the service interval?

thanks.

jim.cox
8th April 2010, 16:30
Nlot changing the oil & filter is probably false economy - long term it will damage the engine

Do you have the owners manual for your bike? - it should list what needs done at each service - what's scheduled for the 12000 check - at a guess it wont be anything too serious

Its not hard to learn to do it yourself - and you should be able to find a friendly KB'er or two who could help.

Tink
8th April 2010, 16:36
The bike was coming up for her scheduled 12,000 k service not so long ago and, with the recession and what have you, and work being so quiet I was skint..... literally living off 2 minute noodles for weeks. Wasn't able to afford the service so, skipped it hoping to get it done at the earliest opportunity. Because its my commuter bike I have no other choice but to ride it everyday and, its now coming up to about 14,000ks.
Is there much I should be worried about? having gone a few thousand ks past the service interval?

thanks.

If the bike is under Warranty it would also affect that! Just a thought.

LBD
8th April 2010, 16:40
Hi Mattian

Mate, some stuff is important, and what you leave to get done on a service depends on how much you can do your self ....Jobs like valve checks on a duc and timing belt changes I rely on experts to do on schedule. Other wise you can usually get away with stretching things a bit.

One thing I would not stretch is the oil change intervals...deteriorated or contaminated oil is one of the main causes of premature engine wear...Generally change oil at 50 % of the recomended interval...filter can wait for regular PM periods. An oil change can easily be done by your self.

If it is the first pm then I would not stretch it out....things settle in a bit on a new machine and may need adjustment.

mattian
8th April 2010, 16:51
thankyou mate. As it happens I have it booked in for Monday so..... better late than never. It is the bikes 3rd scheduled service, (overdue)

mattian
8th April 2010, 16:53
If the bike is under Warranty it would also affect that! Just a thought.

this is true. I brought the bike from a dealer in Hamilton, not realising that I had to have it serviced from the same people each time to maintain the warranty. I live in Auckland...... found that out a little too late. :blink:

Max Preload
8th April 2010, 17:08
this is true. I brought the bike from a dealer in Hamilton, not realising that I had to have it serviced from the same people each time to maintain the warranty. I live in Auckland...... found that out a little too late. :blink:

Actually, you don't. The consumer laws in NZ mean as long as it is done by a competent mechanic it'll be fine. They can decline warranty coverage, but only if it was a directly attributable factor. Like if the oil was underfilled and it ran a bearing. But if the oil pump failed they'd be hard pressed to wriggle out of it with a persistant owner. And it doesn't matter if that factor was a result of something done by the authorised dealer or anyone else - that is to say if an authorised dealer underfilled the oil it'd be no different than if a privateer did - warranty wouldn't cover either. The warranty covers manufacturing defects. The Consumer Guarantees Act covers EVERYTHING!

mattian
8th April 2010, 17:15
Actually, you don't. The consumer laws in NZ mean as long as it is done by a competent mechanic it'll be fine. They can decline warranty coverage, but only if it was a directly attributable factor. Like if the oil was underfilled and it ran a bearing. But if teh pump failed they'd be hard pressed to wriggle out of it with a persistant owner. And it doesn't matter if that factor was a result of something done by the authorised dealer or anyone else - that is to say if an authorised dealer underfilled the oil it'd be no different than if a privateer did - warranty wouldn't cover either. The warranty covers manufacturing defects. The Consumer Guarantees Act covers EVERYTHING!

oh wow ok, thankyou. I didnt know that.

Max Preload
8th April 2010, 17:21
oh wow ok, thankyou. I didnt know that.

Got to fight for your rights! (to party). But you have to KNOW them first.

The CGA actually goes further than just plain repair too. There are provisions for consequential damages too... like say it was a terminal failure in the middle of nowhere and had to be trailered back... those costs are consequential. You can use that as a bargaining chip.

Tink
8th April 2010, 18:33

Actually, you don't. The consumer laws in NZ mean as long as it is done by a competent mechanic it'll be fine. They can decline warranty coverage, but only if it was a directly attributable factor. Like if the oil was underfilled and it ran a bearing. But if the oil pump failed they'd be hard pressed to wriggle out of it with a persistant owner. And it doesn't matter if that factor was a result of something done by the authorised dealer or anyone else - that is to say if an authorised dealer underfilled the oil it'd be no different than if a privateer did - warranty wouldn't cover either. The warranty covers manufacturing defects. The Consumer Guarantees Act covers EVERYTHING!

Thanks Max.. we purchased a bike at Yamaha Hamilton & Yamaha Pukekohe will do our services, still under Warranty with Yamaha. All services have been done... I am 4600km looking forward to 6000km on my next service without the L plate :)

ynot slow
11th April 2010, 09:41
Pays to check with bike importer or distributer re warranty,my experience was asking Suzuki if another dealer could do service but was told had to be any Suzuki dealer in back of warranty booklet,even the dealer I bought the bike off the service manager advised going to authorised dealer for warranty service,then he said bring it to us afterwards when 2yr period for warranty is up.

Max Preload
11th April 2010, 14:53
Pays to check with bike importer or distributer re warranty,my experience was asking Suzuki if another dealer could do service but was told had to be any Suzuki dealer in back of warranty booklet,even the dealer I bought the bike off the service manager advised going to authorised dealer for warranty service,then he said bring it to us afterwards when 2yr period for warranty is up.

The reality is that the manufacturer's warranty is worth LESS than the protection that the provisions of the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 provide.

Max Preload
11th April 2010, 14:53

The reality is that the manufacturer's warranty is worth LESS than the protection that the provisions of the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 provide.