PDA

View Full Version : Shitloads of old tyres. Any ideas for getting rid of them?

Number One
8th April 2010, 17:28
Over the years we have emassed a rather large assortment of used rubber under our house....:innocent:

We would like to get rid of it however most places won't take tyres and the tips will but at an exhorbitant rate.

I wondered if anyone out there knows of anyone that might be looking for a large stash of old bike tyres of varied sizes....any ideas?

Pussy
8th April 2010, 17:30
Try Winnie Mandela

You're welcome! :)

Mom
8th April 2010, 17:31
Over the years we have emassed a rather large assortment of used rubber under our house....:innocent:

We would like to get rid of it however most places won't take tyres and the tips will but at an exhorbitant rate.

I wondered if anyone out there knows of anyone that might be looking for a large stash of old bike tyres of varied sizes....any ideas?

I love the planet but...

They make hell fire starters :yes:

Find a friend with a lump of land and a pile of shit that needs burning, liberally apply tyres throughout the fire heap, light and stand down wind until all is well involved. :D

Number One
8th April 2010, 17:33
Keep cranking those brains people...so far I don't have anything I can legally use

davereid
8th April 2010, 17:44
I'm with mom.

Burn em, to stop freezing to death until the global warming gets here and we can lounge in the sun.

R6_kid
8th April 2010, 18:22
My dad has been using old 180 and 190 section 17in rear tyres for planter boxes. He has a huge Rubarb plant which has used two rears and front!

Trudes
8th April 2010, 18:28
My dad has been using old 180 and 190 section 17in rear tyres for planter boxes. He has a huge Rubarb plant which has used two rears and front!

That's what I was going to suggest too. Make some mini vege/herb gardens.

Number One
8th April 2010, 18:37
I rent...and would just have to move the buggers anyway down the line :laugh: .any one else want to make a shit load of tyre planters???

Maha
8th April 2010, 18:58
Wellington Zoo?
Failing that, list them as Hula-Hoops on trademe $1 reserve each?

bogan
8th April 2010, 19:10
get hacksaw, number 8 wire, perhaps a few fence battons to prop bits up if needed (probly not though) and make some art (see attached concept). People will pay crazy money for arts

MIXONE
8th April 2010, 19:16
Farmers often use them to hold down the covers on silage so if you know any cockies give them a yell to put the word around.

nothingflash
8th April 2010, 19:20
I've been trying for years to get rid of my own tyre... I aint about to set myself alight or go lie on silage though.

MIXONE
8th April 2010, 19:22
I've been trying for years to get rid of my own tyre... I aint about to set myself alight or go lie on silage though.

Go to the gym ya fat bastard.
Failing that I've got a box of matches.

Subike
8th April 2010, 19:30
Hey people, burning tyres is the worst way of disposal.
They are one of the big polutors of the planet
That should not be a suggestion ever
The only proper way is to pay to have them dumped.
I know, I know thats a shit load of money because I have a shit load of tyres,
But its the right thing to do regaurdless of the arguments.
You use them up by choice, and to buy them is not cheap.
But neither is getting rid of them
Pay for rubbish, everyone else does.

LBD
8th April 2010, 19:31
Potatoes, Stack two or three tyres on their side on a concrete base, fill with soil an d plant 2 or 3 seed potatoes. as they grow, and come to the surface, add anothre tyre and dirt (to keep them covered. Keep stacking until harvest time, remove tyres one at a time exposing spuds as dirt falls away...

aprilia_RS250
8th April 2010, 19:41
I can give you two ideas
1. Burnouts! Nothin but burnouts! Film it post it here/youtube get good rep.
2. Sell on trade me to someone who wants to do number one.

Number One
8th April 2010, 19:44
1. Burnouts! Nothin but burnouts! Film it post it here/youtube get good rep.
2. Sell on trade me to someone who wants to do number one.

You wanna buy some rep...I mean old tyres then?? ;)

davereid
8th April 2010, 19:52
Hey people, burning tyres is the worst way of disposal.
They are one of the big polutors of the planet
That should not be a suggestion ever

Just burn em, they burn great.

Put them around a speed camera, or a greeny. Two birds with one tyre then.

Mom
8th April 2010, 20:00

Dont use them as fire starters! Whatever you do dont. Even in jest that was not a good suggestion. Geeze Us, there are some precious folk around the place :yes:

hellokitty
8th April 2010, 20:15
check with your local tyre shop - there are companies that will pick them up, they charge maybe $2 per tyre and they recycle them into something (something to do with roads?)

sunhuntin
8th April 2010, 20:18
maybe ask around some local creches... they might use them for planters. a lot of daycares have vege or flower gardens now that the kids tend.

Number One
8th April 2010, 20:28
Thanyou ladies I shall try/chase up both those options :sunny:

Pussy
8th April 2010, 20:38
Would it be worth asking one of the bike shops if you can chuck them on THEIR pile of old tyres?

Laxi
8th April 2010, 21:06
<tenchar><tenchar>

Cloggy
8th April 2010, 21:12
Are you in Wellington?
There is that place at the bottom of the Haywards Hill in Manor Park where they shred tyres.
Otherwise, cut the sidewalls out of the tyres so each tyre becomes three pieces. This will allow the two side walls to lie flat on each other and the thread portion can be folded up and held in a folded position with a bit of twine or string. Then, technically, it is no longer a tyre, just general rubbish and you can dump them without paying ridiculous fees.

nothingflash
8th April 2010, 22:13
When you move out you could put a rug over them - much like covering a stain in the carpet

huff3r
8th April 2010, 22:23
Are you in Wellington?
There is that place at the bottom of the Haywards Hill in Manor Park where they shred tyres.
Otherwise, cut the sidewalls out of the tyres so each tyre becomes three pieces. This will allow the two side walls to lie flat on each other and the thread portion can be folded up and held in a folded position with a bit of twine or string. Then, technically, it is no longer a tyre, just general rubbish and you can dump them without paying ridiculous fees.

Do this! The reason they charge so much for tyre disposal is because they have to do the above to them, otherwise when in landfall covered in rubbish they will sit... and then one day suddenly become crushed under the weight, causing the entire rubbish pile above to be disturbed. (Quite a problem apparently?)

Sable
8th April 2010, 22:28
Anyone you don't like? Put them all over their front yard and light them. Leaves a lovely black mess everywhere :). Just be quick though, they might notice the smell

SMOKEU
8th April 2010, 22:49
Do some skids.

Trudes
9th April 2010, 07:30
The trash heap has spoken, meeerrrrrr :lol:

NighthawkNZ
9th April 2010, 07:40

turn back into oil

CWf9nYbm3ac

Maha
9th April 2010, 07:49
I was serious about Wellington Zoo, think of the Monkeys and the Lions and the Elephant/s?
Theres also a place in Wanganui that turns old tyres into rubber matting for childrens playground.

Stirts
9th April 2010, 09:21
Tyre art gets my vote Number One.....let your creative jusices flow :D

Start small ....bracelet
http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2007/09/28/cool-rubber-bands_5810.jpg

Then work your way up to these ....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_iJHK7Dojh70/SWr9PHe3QzI/AAAAAAAAA6c/W2T8QEcF9sA/s400/tyre1.JPG

http://www.springfieldbarbados.com/Tyre3.jpg

bungbung
9th April 2010, 09:23
Perhaps the slipway needs more tyres?

Number One
9th April 2010, 11:04
Perhaps the slipway needs more tyres?

They were the first ones I thought of actually.....

Elysium
9th April 2010, 14:16
If this hasn't been mentioned, another common use was to put them on those mounted speed camaras, fill with fuel, light and run!

rustyrobot
9th April 2010, 14:28
I used to work at a recycling centre, and we amassed quite the pile of tyres there. Along with potato 'stacks', which has already been suggested, a lot of people used to take them away to make retaining walls of some description. Never actually seen one so I can't comment on how you'd go about it. Another suggestion is to put an advert on the freecycle email list for your area and someone else might already have an idea they want some tyres for. (Freecycle is an email group for people to get rid of things that they no longer want that someone else might find incredibly useful - a pretty good resource actually).

Freecycle: www.freecycle.org/group/NZ/
For more ideas: http://www.tirecrafting.com/

The best tyre use I heard of was the enterprising buggers in Auckland who hired out a warehouse for a month, advertised cheap tyre disposal (I think 50c each), then when the warehouse was full and they had made a few thousand bucks, they took off without having paid their months rent, and burdening the landlord with a warehouse full of tyres. By New Zealand laws, landlords must hold tenants property for three months then apply for a court order if they want to dispose of it. DOH!

http://sustainabledesignupdate.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/springfield-tire-fire-400x300.jpg

Skyryder
9th April 2010, 18:30
Keep cranking those brains people...so far I don't have anything I can legally use

Have not read all of this but contact some boates or perhaps the local wharf. Tyres make great buffers. Someone might be interested.

Failing that drop them off at Parliment as a protest for the 50 tonners that are coming your way soon.

Skyryder

Tank
9th April 2010, 18:41
Wrap up each old type and post it 'postage due' to made up addresses.

Then they are the problem of NZ post.

Number One
9th April 2010, 18:45
drop them off at Parliment as a protest for the 50 tonners that are coming your way soon.

Wrap up each old type and post it 'postage due' to made up addresses.

Then they are the problem of NZ post.

Naughty boys! I am drinking tequila and have a large supply of butchers paper and masking tape........:shifty:

oldguy
9th April 2010, 19:12
Make good retaining walls, grow a bouganvilla over if, and it will look sweet.

rustyrobot
9th April 2010, 19:20
Naughty boys! I am drinking tequila and have a large supply of butchers paper and masking tape........:shifty:

Even better - combine those two ideas. Posting to parliament is Freepost :niceone:

Trudes
9th April 2010, 21:25
Even even better! Post to Parliament postage due, attn to Nick Smith with a wee note saying you just paid for your bike rego for the year so can no longer afford to dispose of these.

Number One
9th April 2010, 21:53
Even even better! Post to Parliament postage due, attn to Nick Smith with a wee note saying you just paid for your bike rego for the year so can no longer afford to dispose of these.

oo that's good!

chanceyy
9th April 2010, 22:40
yup I use tyres for the hay stack but more car tyres as they need some weight, however your local pony club may have uses for them as well .. bike tyres are lighter than car tyres & good for jumps & games etc :)

post under serveral sections of trademe .. garden or equestrian and see if you get responses, good luck

LBD
10th April 2010, 22:23
Have not read all of this but contact some boates or perhaps the local wharf. Tyres make great buffers. Someone might be interested.

Failing that drop them off at Parliment as a protest for the 50 tonners that are coming your way soon.

Skyryder

MC tyres are to thin and light to work as boat fenders. and sticky MC tires mark nice white bright work....

marty
11th April 2010, 08:40
Make good retaining walls, grow a bouganvilla over if, and it will look sweet.

I thought that was a house in West Auckland?