PDA

View Full Version : Family ride the world on two bikes and two kids

partireper.it
9th April 2010, 04:43
Dear all,

I am Gionata Nencini, riding the world solo since 2005 with a 1987 Honda Transalp.

I am writing an article about other bikers riding the world

* solos
* duos
* groups / family

I had heard once about this family (were they kiwi?) that left on two bikes and with two kids.

Do you have any info, names, links, or pics about them?

If you also fit in one of the categories above, drop me a line, I might mentione you in the adventure motorcycling journeys Handbook I am writing.

Regards.

Gionata Nencini
www.Partireper.it

Night Falcon
9th April 2010, 18:05
I read about a family which could be the ones you are talking about in BRM magazine a few years ago....still have a copy. They are the Cooper Family don't know much more than that though.

dino3310
9th April 2010, 18:18
http://www.webbuilders.co.nz/cooper/photo2/slides/tn_IMG_0017.html

partireper.it
10th April 2010, 01:27
Wowo guys you found it.

Thanks for the link and for the name... i see that http://www.cooperfamilymotorbikeexpedition.co.nz/ doesn't work anymore

crazyhorse
10th April 2010, 07:31
Name is Garth Cooper - grew up in Havelock North, Hawkes Bay. I went to school with him. Certainly a gutsy thing to do with kids - esp in the countries they went to!

p.dath
10th April 2010, 08:13
Wow! How do they manage the kids schooling?

partireper.it
10th April 2010, 10:21
I really admire them... I am mentioning them into my Adventure motorcycling journeys handbook....

Thanks guys

Ronin
10th April 2010, 10:39
Wow! How do they manage the kids schooling?

I would have thought that travelling the world is a far more effective education than any school can provide.

kevfromcoro
10th April 2010, 10:48
I would have thought that travelling the world is a far more effective education than any school can provide.

How true.... a few years ago me and the missus travelled around Australia for 18 months......with 3 kiddies....
we did a corospondince course. for the kids..... but it was a bit limited.....
when we arrived home and the kids went back to school. we were a bit worried that they may have been behind...
But the teacher comented,, that because they had been on the road for such a long time.....
there ability to open there eyes.. was advanced.........

they are older now...... and all got more assets than the old man.........

partireper.it
10th April 2010, 11:08
I coulnd't agree more....

partireper.it
10th April 2010, 11:09
Dear Ronin, I might quote you in my handbook when I talk about life investment such as leaving work and school for a long trip.
Would you be happy about it?

p.dath
10th April 2010, 12:20

I guess parents want different things for their children. I'm quite keen on the three basis, reading, writing and arithmetic. You can only travel the world for so long ...

Ronin
10th April 2010, 12:22
I guess parents want different things for their children. I'm quite keen on the three basis, reading, writing and arithmetic. You can only travel the world for so long ...

Most parents I know are more than capable of teaching that. Not all learning is quantifiable.

p.dath
10th April 2010, 13:20
Most parents I know are more than capable of teaching that. Not all learning is quantifiable.

I guess we'll have to agree to have a difference of opinion about the capabilities of parents to teach the basics, as if most parents were capable we wouldn't need them to go to school (or use correspondence school) to learn the basics.

I do agree that some learning is hard to quantify - but that is why tests exist, to quantify the learning that has occurred.

But like motorcycle riding, everyone has different opinions, and it's up to the person in charge to decide what is right for themlseves (or their children). There are many correct answers.

p.dath
10th April 2010, 13:20

I guess we'll have to agree to have a difference of opinion about the capabilities of parents to teach the basics, as if most parents were capable we wouldn't need them to go to school (or use correspondence school) to learn the basics.

I do agree that some learning is hard to quantify - but that is why tests exist, to quantify the learning that has occurred.

But like motorcycle riding, everyone has different opinions, and it's up to the person in charge to decide what is right for themlseves (or their children). There are many correct answers.

Night Falcon
10th April 2010, 19:41
Name is Garth Cooper - grew up in Havelock North, Hawkes Bay. I went to school with him. Certainly a gutsy thing to do with kids - esp in the countries they went to!

Small, small world...I live in Havelock North....come to think of it his photo did look a bit familiar in the BRM article....I probabaly met him...go figure!