PDA

View Full Version : KTM 950s head to head.

Motu
18th May 2005, 15:47
Read this thread where 2 950s crash head on in a trail - the damage to one bike...and the lack of damage to the riders.These are big bikes with a lot of weight.

when 950s collide (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79716)

John
18th May 2005, 15:55
Bloody hell! - just spawned through that thread.

Bloody hell bike (seemingly) came off worse than that RC30 in that so called 250kmph crash, broken frame in everything, and only a black eye.

Cant say I'd be happy to loose such a nice bike, but at least no broken bones/heads.

White trash
18th May 2005, 17:24
What the fuck is the first rule of trail riding?

Gotta be "Don't ride in the opposite direction to the flow". Surely?!

That's like me going to a track day at Taupo and turning hard left after leaving the pits.

Lucky boys.

Kickaha
18th May 2005, 18:19
What the fuck is the first rule of trail riding?

Gotta be "Don't ride in the opposite direction to the flow". Surely?!

No,the first rule is dont miss the trail markers ride the wrong way get lost and stuck down the bottom of a gully and have to walk 14km out because the trail has been closed behind you due to high wind and no one else is coming through

errrrrr not that that has ever happened to me :no:

Mr Skid
18th May 2005, 18:40
I was having a look at that thread the other day (I guess this outs me as a advrider.com lurker)

It impressed me how he's managed to snap the frame near the steering head.

On the subject of KTM950's, here's a write up of a shootout between a Mitsubishi Evolution VIII and a KTM 950 Adventure. http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=39&article_id=1405&page_number=3

Ghost Lemur
18th May 2005, 20:11
That is one messed up bike.

Surprised the riders came off as well as they did.

NordieBoy
18th May 2005, 20:34
No,the first rule is dont miss the trail markers ride the wrong way get lost and stuck down the bottom of a gully and have to walk 14km out because the trail has been closed behind you due to high wind and no one else is coming through

errrrrr not that that has ever happened to me :no:

Or me :no: :whistle:

Zapf
19th May 2005, 01:47
I was having a look at that thread the other day (I guess this outs me as a advrider.com lurker)

It impressed me how he's managed to snap the frame near the steering head.

On the subject of KTM950's, here's a write up of a shootout between a Mitsubishi Evolution VIII and a KTM 950 Adventure. http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=39&article_id=1405&page_number=3

I liked how the 950 had. Quote "est 293 bhp @ 6200 rpm"

Coldkiwi
19th May 2005, 12:42
mmm yes, the 293 bit shows the value of an editor! (especially when it was quoted correctly at the start)

go the KTM! I would've thought it'd get obliterated!

vifferman
19th May 2005, 12:51
No,the first rule is dont miss the trail markers ...
:killingme :killingme

The one organised trail/enduro ride I went on was supposed to be 100km, but ended up being at least 130km for me because I missed a marker and repeated one of the loops. Wondered why I didn't see anyone ahead of me, then thought, "Hmmm... call this the Twilight Zone, but there's summat very deja vu about this trail I'm on...."
Oops...
At least I didn't run out of fuel.

Motu
19th May 2005, 13:36
A bike to bike prang is messy stuff,both going the same way is bad enough,but a head on is real bad news...didn't we have a fatality just recently from the same thing? The 950 is a tough bike and was tested on the Dakar prior to release,seeing those top tubes just ripped out is scary.

I'm suprised the 950 did so well against the Evo too,that's a big bike to be getting out of shape on and if you get it wrong tidying it up afterwards is a big task.Evo max torque at 3500rpm - WTF? how do they do that?

An ADV lurker now Rhys? good onya.I see they just shut down the Off Topic in Thumper Talk and some of the guys like TwoBlackBelts are now on ADV.The Geeks Enduro is a good read too.