PDA

View Full Version : E-Code certification on lights

pzkpfw
12th April 2010, 13:04
(Posted this in "electrical" but possibly better here as it's about the law, not the hooking up of the lights. Apologies to mods for the double threads).

I bought one of those integrated rear light indicator combos off trade me.

The auction clearly stated "E-Code certified" so I figured it'd all be legal.

The thing arrived this morning and I can't find ANY identifying marks, E-codes or anything on it.

Does this mean it's not legal?

Will I fail WOFs?

(I've emailed the vendor, but it's too soon to expect a reply.)

breakaway
12th April 2010, 13:19
What's this E-Code stuff? I thought he only stuff that mattered was the DOT certification?

Ixion
12th April 2010, 14:43
DOT is Yanks. Ecode is European equivalent. ADR is Oz equivalent. And there's a Jappa one that I can't remember. All are acceptable in NZ.

MSTRS
12th April 2010, 14:51
But the item must be marked with the standard. Otherwise how would a tester know that it complied?

pzkpfw
12th April 2010, 15:52
Otherwise how would a tester know that it complied?

Bingo.

Auction implied compliance with a standard - however there are ZERO marking on the indicator.

Grrrr!

breakaway
13th April 2010, 11:15
FYI I've had lights without these markings since my first bike. Never had problems with WoFs.

It's a light for fucks sake. Why does it need to be certified? Headlights I can understand, but indicators? It's not like the general public notice a bike anyway.

peasea
13th April 2010, 13:53
Bingo.

Auction implied compliance with a standard - however there are ZERO marking on the indicator.

Grrrr!

I would imagine that it'll only make a difference if you're having the bike certified, as a fresh project or rebuilt (de-registered) affair. Once the bike is certified then provided the indicators work at WOF time that's all the tester cares about. I've seen many choppers certified (VIN'd, call it what you will) with big, ugly indicators etc then the owner/builder switches to itsy-bitsy (but freakin' bright) after-market LED's and no prob's at WOF time. Go hard. just fit it.