PDA

View Full Version : Running in brake pads?

Motoracer
18th May 2005, 17:18
Wooohooo!! I finally have brake pads this time! Hopefully with some brakes I might do a bit better for round 2! (hopefully)

So I've got brand new brake pads in the packet ready to be put on the race bike and the race is this Saturday.

Once on the track we will straight away get on with Qualifying and I know that the brake pads need to be run in first.

Is there any other way of runing in the brake pads effectively with out me actually going for illigal rolling stoppie practice sessions on the road before Saturday?

Cheerio!

White trash
18th May 2005, 17:27
Wooohooo!! I finally have brake pads this time! Hopefully with some brakes I might do a bit better for round 2! (hopefully)

So I've got brand new brake pads in the packet ready to be put on the race bike and the race is this Saturday.

Once on the track we will straight away get on with Qualifying and I know that the brake pads need to be run in first.

Is there any other way of runing in the brake pads effectively with out me actually going for illigal rolling stoppie practice sessions on the road before Saturday?

Cheerio!

Surely it takes a couple of laps to get up to speed?

They're race pads yeah? You'll be fine.

sAsLEX
18th May 2005, 17:31
would think that you would have to do it on the bike, as they will bed in to your discs if they are slightly grooved or whatever

slob
18th May 2005, 17:58

Read the flip side of the SBS packet - I think it says that you only need to brake hard a few times to heat 'em up and get them run in...

FROSTY
18th May 2005, 18:10
Id do a couple of quiet laps of the local area. Mine took about 10 laps to bed in

bugjuice
18th May 2005, 18:47
a friend who used to race a ZX6 then moved onto a ZX10 does a couple of laps (at puke) at 2/3s pace, then just go for it.. Road pads tend to take a bit longer to bed in. I guess it depends on the compound of them, and how long you want/expect them to last.. Rotors still good?

DEATH_INC.
18th May 2005, 19:12
The proper way to bed them in is to NOT let them get too hot 'till they're worn in.Lots of light braking for a while(usually 100k or so).Don't constantly drag 'em either(it glazes them,like too much initial heat).

N4CR
18th May 2005, 22:12
Well... not really a racing related answer, I just got some new softer compound front pads....manufacturer/shop reccomended 100kms of riding before giving them full 'thrashage'. I just did 100kms and they gave a much nicer pull than the last pads!

Just go for a spin round some back roads for a hour or two and wear them in that way.

Two Smoker
19th May 2005, 07:32
If they are the new SBS carbon pads, all they need is a couple of hard pulls (give it 2 laps and they will be sweet)

If they aren't then give it 5 laps at half pace and they will be sweet....

Motoracer
19th May 2005, 12:43
The proper way to bed them in is to NOT let them get too hot 'till they're worn in.Lots of light braking for a while(usually 100k or so).Don't constantly drag 'em either(it glazes them,like too much initial heat).

Cheers Death! Thanks to everyone else as well. Yep they are SBS race pads so hopefully they will be fully run in on the track within the first 2 laps.

Rotors still good?

Pretty fucked but 'She'll be alright'! :niceone:

bugjuice
19th May 2005, 14:53
Pretty fucked but 'She'll be alright'! :niceone:
get them reground? or nothing left?

vifferman
19th May 2005, 15:04
I read an interview of Yamaha Europe's head bike tester (an ex-racer, I believe), and he was asked what the best way to bed pads was. His reply was to take the bike up to 100km/h, then brake reasonably hard to a stop, then repeat this. I can't recall now, but I think he said to do 30 repeats.

I do know what you shouldn't do. :whistle:
If you normally brake with one or two fingers, then don't try to bed them in quickly using all four.

Especially not on a cambered road.

Which is damp and greasy, from light rain.

And has numerous tar snakes.

But if by some weird failure of your mental faculties you do do this :confused: then try not to do it right next to an audience of road workers. :Oops:
Unless you can remember to release your death grip on the brake lever and can keep it upright. :o

Motoracer
19th May 2005, 15:13
get them reground? or nothing left?

Definetly the surface is too smooth and there is not much left to reground. Plus all the buttons are too loose and worn anyway. The mechanics reckon they are due to explode anytime soon.

I'll be looking at getting a new set soon...

vifferman
19th May 2005, 15:16
Definetly the surface is too smooth and there is not much left to reground. Plus all the buttons are too loose and worn anyway. The mechanics reckon they are due to explode anytime soon.

I'll be looking at getting a new set soon...
When they've exploded....? :spudwhat:

Motoracer
19th May 2005, 15:22
When they've exploded....? :spudwhat:

Either that or when I can afford them. I should be able buy it before Round 3 though.

Quasievil
19th May 2005, 15:29
What the fuck are you talking about ?? your brake pads are made of plastic and are on ya Knees you crazy bugger:Punk:

Motoracer
19th May 2005, 15:33
What the fuck are you talking about ?? your brake pads are made of plastic and are on ya Knees you crazy bugger:Punk:

This man knows what he's talking about!

Good luck for the weekend Quasi. :niceone: I'll check up on ya after we finish racing and start heading up to see how you went.

FROSTY
19th May 2005, 15:40
fuck the knees bullshit MR--comeon be honest -youve glued em to the elbows of ya leather havent ya??

bugjuice
19th May 2005, 15:45
The mechanics reckon they are due to explode
coooooooooooooooool..... make sure you get that on tape :niceone:

Motoracer
19th May 2005, 15:50
fuck the knees bullshit MR--comeon be honest -youve glued em to the elbows of ya leather havent ya??

Duck taped mate! I need all the help from my elbows, knees and foot pegs to slow the bike down. :laugh:

NC
19th May 2005, 17:16
I haven't read the other posts, but..

I got told to do 100kms with the break on..

DEATH_INC.
20th May 2005, 20:39
I read an interview of Yamaha Europe's head bike tester (an ex-racer, I believe), and he was asked what the best way to bed pads was. His reply was to take the bike up to 100km/h, then brake reasonably hard to a stop, then repeat this. I can't recall now, but I think he said to do 30 repeats.

This'll work if you don't brake too hard,and don't rip up to 100k as fast as poss(so the pads can cool down) :niceone: