PDA

View Full Version : Swann insurance

Batcerb
12th April 2010, 21:24
Sawnn insurance.

Some may know, my bike was rear ended by a car, and I had to go thru the process of filling out paper work and letting my insurance company know ect.

PAINFUL.

Took them over a week to send me a claim form - luckly I downloaded and printed 1 off on the day.

The address they supply on the claim form is wrong. They had moved and didnt get around to changing it.

They then lost half my paperwork. It was all there when I sent it, I know this because I had someone check every single page to see nothing was left out.

4 weeks on, still waiting for someone to say yes, replace rooted parts.

By last week friday I was simply pissing blood. I got onto Kiwibiker for a quote somewhere else.
$300 per year cheaper .......

Pack of clowns

p.dath
12th April 2010, 21:32
Ring them up and say you want to lay a formal complaint and you need to know you the underwriter is (it almost certainly wont be them). To sell insurance in NZ you have to be bonded. Most smaller insurers can't afford to do this, so they use an underwriter who is bonded.

The underwriter will be a much larger insurance company, like IAG, or something like that.

Then if your still pissed, contact the underwriter and find out how to lodge a former complaint with them. They should have a person or department (if they get enough complaints ...) dedicated to the role.

You have to make a formal complaint before you can complain to the insurance and savings ombudsman. And its usually the underwriter that gets taken to task (because they are the bonded company), not the insurer.

You should also record when you make phones calls, and who you spoke to. A log of your efforts looks better with a formal complaint.

It's a long slow process though. Could take 6 months easily. So make sure your really pissed before you start the ball rolling.

bogan
12th April 2010, 21:33
Sorry to hear bout your accident and subsequent experiences, adds insult to injury being without a bike AND getting pissed around by the company thats sposed to fix it. For balance though, i know someone who had an off (loose gravel), fast payout, he was happy. I'm currently with them, my full cover is less than 200 bucks, go the classic bike insurance :D

p.dath
12th April 2010, 21:33
This is the URL if you want to read up more about the process:
http://www.iombudsman.org.nz/

p.dath
12th April 2010, 21:35
Bonus! Swann are a direct participant of the ISO scheme. That will speed things up.

geoffm
14th April 2010, 21:37
I think Swan is part of the IAG happy family of insurers.
I found them good with the 2 claims (in 18 months) I had for 2 bikes (RIP). Both were the other drivers fault though. All sorted and shopping for replacements in a week.
Geoff

calmone
14th April 2010, 21:43
Swan is underwritten by IAG, but not owned by them.

caseye
17th April 2010, 09:46
Have to say I'm with Swann and have had a fantastic experience, all things considered they have performed miracles for us.5 weeks start to finish, bike broken , bike fixed, excess paid and bike back!
The Office of the Insurance Ombudsman, will only quote you the fact sheets as supplied to them by the Insurance group of companies here in NZ. In other words TOTALLY BLOODY USELESS they can't even give you their considered opinion in regards any particular instance.
Sad to hear that they are falling down and not running with the ball for you .

centercore
22nd April 2010, 14:15
Swann is underwritten by iag and they(swann) are terrible come claim time. If you aren't happy with the amount they valued your bike at make sure you get it re-valued yourself.

SVboy
22nd April 2010, 14:59
I had two claims thru Swann, but handled by my underwriters, KIWIBIKE. I was super impressed in both sad and painful instances. My humiliation and grief was eased by great service. Still hurt[s] tho!!