PDA

View Full Version : Getting my bike serviced

rustyrobot
13th April 2010, 13:21
I brought my bike a couple of months ago from a person who wasn't a rider. It is a pretty old bike, and looks like it's been pretty well used in its lifetime (42,500kms). The seller told me that the bike had been serviced last year at Red Baron, but didn't have any documentation for the service and wasn't really sure about what had been done (not being a rider).

I figure that I should really get the bike serviced ASAP as I don't accurately know what was done or when, but I'm a total noob myself and so I don't know what to ask for, or what to expect. I'm not particularly mechanically skilled, but I have topped up the fluids and lubed the chain. I'm looking forward to getting to know my bike better, and hopefully doing more of the servicing myself in the future, but want to make sure it gets done right first.

My questions then are:
- What should I ask for when getting the service done?
- What should I expect from a 'regular' service?
- How much should I expect to pay? (Yes, I know it'll vary - a ball park figure will be fine)
- If you were going to get a 1988 VT250 serviced in Hamilton, where would you go?

I've done a bit of a trawl through the forums but didn't find anything talking directly to this, feel free to point me in the right direction if I'm wrong.

jim.cox
13th April 2010, 13:37
Try to find a copy of the owners handbook

That will tell you exactly what needs done when

From there you can work out what you can do yourself

The Stranger
13th April 2010, 13:38
I brought my bike a couple of months ago from a person who wasn't a rider. It is a pretty old bike, and looks like it's been pretty well used in its lifetime (42,500kms). The seller told me that the bike had been serviced last year at Red Baron, but didn't have any documentation for the service and wasn't really sure about what had been done (not being a rider).

I figure that I should really get the bike serviced ASAP as I don't accurately know what was done or when, but I'm a total noob myself and so I don't know what to ask for, or what to expect. I'm not particularly mechanically skilled, but I have topped up the fluids and lubed the chain. I'm looking forward to getting to know my bike better, and hopefully doing more of the servicing myself in the future, but want to make sure it gets done right first.

My questions then are:
- What should I ask for when getting the service done?
- What should I expect from a 'regular' service?
- How much should I expect to pay? (Yes, I know it'll vary - a ball park figure will be fine)
- If you were going to get a 1988 VT250 serviced in Hamilton, where would you go?

I've done a bit of a trawl through the forums but didn't find anything talking directly to this, feel free to point me in the right direction if I'm wrong.

Honda will have a set service schedule, often the 20 or 24,000 km service is a bigger one and will include things like head race etc.
Take it to a Honda dealer and ask for a 24,000km service. They should be able to give you a price up front for the service, however they obviously wont be able to include for any problems they find, but no reason they can't call you and discuss prior to expending cost on any such problem.

CookMySock
13th April 2010, 14:22
Either you have to take it upon yourself to find out what should be done and audit that it was done, or else take it to a bike shop and explain to the service manager that you need them to begin on a service plan for you, including a date sticker on the bike for when they next want to see it. Take a look through their pricing and see if you want the basic plan, the comprehensive plan, or the gold-plated plan, but tell them you don't know jack about it and you want them to take over the responsibility of it.

Consider also, that mechanical no-nothings (not intended to be derogatory) probably should be riding more modern bikes, particularly if they rely on them for work etc.

Steve

slofox
13th April 2010, 15:10
Consider also, that mechanical no-nothings (not intended to be derogatory) probably should be riding more modern bikes, particularly if they rely on them for work etc.

Steve

I was a mechanical Know-nothing when I bought my first bike...that's how I became a mechanical know-something - when it all turned to shit and I HAD to fix it myself. Mind you, them 1953 models were pretty simple...

insomnia01
13th April 2010, 15:34
As mentioned above, grab yourself a owners manual which will have a service schedule in it, from this you can work out when your next service is due & what type of service. As for where to go see the staff at Boyds Motorcycles...yes they are now a Suzuki francise but they where Honda & know your bike inside out

CookMySock
13th April 2010, 16:31
I was a mechanical Know-nothing when I bought my first bike...that's how I became a mechanical know-something - when it all turned to shit and I HAD to fix it myself. Mind you, them 1953 models were pretty simple...Go the fox! :niceone:

I work on bikes because I like it, but I work on other mechanical stuff because I have to, so I don't know if I would term it "a healthy balance" or a "love-hate relationship." :laugh:

Steve

trailblazer
13th April 2010, 23:39
it takes time to learn mechanical skills so take your time and find a bike shop that will work with you and keep your bike in the best mechanical condition they can untill you are ready to take over the responsability.

rustyrobot
14th April 2010, 11:29
Thanks for all your comments. You can believe that if my budget had allowed it, I would most definitely be riding a more modern bike. I had thought however that having a slightly older bike might make it a tad easier to work/learn on. Looks like I will go talk to the bike shop and see what they have to say. Perhaps I will visit both Boyd's and Hamilton Honda (although last time I went into HamHonda I wandered around for 15 minutes trying to catch someone's eye while they chatted to a friend and studiously ignored me (even stood right next to them for a few minutes and they turned to face the other way) - their loss, I went and spent my $$$ at Boyd's). That experience was the reason I asked for recommendations on a shop. Actually, the Yamaha shop was the only place I felt like I got really good, friendly service, but they didn't have what I needed.

As far as the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual (which I have), I figure that as I have no idea whether previous owners have kept up with it, I can't really tell what point of the schedule I am at. Which sort of leaves me thinking like it'll be the 'all over' that's required (sigh - there goes the luggage I was hoping to buy :bye: ).

Would still be interested in knowing what sort of prices people have paid for servicing on their bikes.

Hopeful Bastard
14th April 2010, 11:54
Talking with one of the dealers in Levin and he said you have to be careful about asking for a service.. Do you want a full service which includes oil change, oil filter air filter etc etc or you just want a service to fix it up kinda thing.. He also told me that a ball park figure would range from $400 to $1200 - depending on what needed doing.. So i carefully said thankyou and left the shop almost running out the door! Oil changes and filters i can do myself, So im pretty sure you can do it yourself too..

So a rough ballpark for you would be about $400 inc parts they may need.. Anyone with more experience can correct me if im wrong

EDIT: Considering my bike only cost me $2,500 there aint no way i am paying half of the cost of my baby just for one service.. O.o

jim.cox
14th April 2010, 11:57
as I have no idea whether previous owners have kept up with it, I can't really tell what point of the schedule I am at.

Just go from the mileage - Go forward from here && now. Although you can also play "catchup" if you suspect a major service or item has been missed

But on a limited budget do only what you have to - If it ain't broke, it dont need fixing

jim.cox
14th April 2010, 12:02
Do you want a full service which includes oil change, oil filter air filter etc etc or

"Servicing" - you only NEED what is called for in trhe owners manual.

anything else is "Repairs" - at least in my book

Hopeful Bastard
14th April 2010, 12:05
"Servicing" - you only NEED what is called for in trhe owners manual.

anything else is "Repairs" - at least in my book

Be good if i had one of them things! LMAO!

Hopeful Bastard
14th April 2010, 12:05
Damn gremlin in my computer again.. DOUBLE POST!

Paul in NZ
14th April 2010, 12:52
In this case - 1988 bike, mileage could be anything. You are best to forget the factory recommendations for now and baseline it unless you are SURE filters etc were changed.

ie - I'd change the oil, oil filter, fuel filter (if it has one) and air filter (unless it looks new) myself and get the shop to check ignition timing and valve clearances, set mixture etc.. well OK I'd do that myself too but you get the drift.

Check brake fluid levels (and condition) and pad thickness too.

Bound to be someone close can talk you through it.

The Stranger
14th April 2010, 13:00
Just go from the mileage - Go forward from here && now. Although you can also play "catchup" if you suspect a major service or item has been missed

But on a limited budget do only what you have to - If it ain't broke, it dont need fixing

In general I got to agree, but unless he has receipts or a service record (which he doesn't) it doesn't hurt to put it in a known good state.
Valve clearances can be fairly important and are usually called for in the 20 or 24k km service, if they were done on time they are probably within spec and the cost will be small, if not it may save him some money in the long run. Not only that but if he's not sure on suspension, steering head, sprockets and brakes, well waiting until they are broke can ruin your day - or kill you. Personally I tend to favour fixing prior to broke.

Max Preload
14th April 2010, 14:03
I figure that as I have no idea whether previous owners have kept up with it, I can't really tell what point of the schedule I am at. Which sort of leaves me thinking like it'll be the 'all over' that's required (sigh - there goes the luggage I was hoping to buy :bye: ).

You've got a bike of unknown history so, yes, you'll need to work through what needs doing - start with the important stuff - brakes & engine. For most maintenance you should be able to do it yourself - I'm sure you can find some friendly local KBer who can show you the basics. It's going to be an ongoing expensive hobby unless you can do most of it yourself. Besides, doing it yourself is half the enjoyment.