PDA

View Full Version : PB and Balu's South Island jaunt

PrincessBandit
13th April 2010, 22:06
Well, 2660 km each and 110l fuel each we're back in Auckland after a fantastic 9 days away.
We left home a day earlier than planned and spent night one at Pussy Palace (many thanks John! and yummy easter egg from Annie); then on to Masterton (night at me mum's) then tally ho to the ferry. This was via the Rimutakas in soddingly cold rain, cloud and road works; however once at upper Hutt all was well again with the weather and we dried out in the wind waiting for the ferry.

Beautiful weather all round the SI - went from Picton to Punakaiki with stop at Lake Rotoiti at St Arnaud. Stunning!! Murchison to Punakaiki was great; got my bike up to 180kph as my only rebel moment but by the time we got to our destination for the evening my energy, patience and mood had soured somewhat. I hadn't realised just how draining a big trip can be. However after food and a good sleep the rest of the trip went without any further melt downs from me.

From there across to CHCH via Arthurs Pass. Stopped at lake Brunner - stunning!
BIG road works heading into Otira gorge, but basically everywhere we went the scenery was just jaw dropping. (The Buller gorge - have I said it before? STUNNING)

Did a day trip to Hanmer Springs and Balu's day was made when we saw the Weka Pass steam train doing it's thing.

Back up to Picton via Kaikoura; made such good time were able to catch the earlier ferry. I love seeing the sea lions sunning themselves, noses pointed to the sky.

Again we stayed at Finns of Paekakariki - even thought the restaurant and bar are closed on Mon nights the owners fired up the kitchen and cooked dinner for us and we enjoyed a beer with our meal. Given that we could have been directed to the nearest take away place we were stoked that they were prepared to allow us to have tea there. The perfect place to stay where you can park the bikes undercover (with security gate for peace of mind) and wonderful hosts.

We did the return trip to Auckland setting out at 7.30am with brief stops for refuelling and pop in to see my brother at Taupo; by 5.30 we were home. My knees were sore, my right arm was aching like crazy but thanks to katman lending me his smoky visor (we have the same model helmets) I didn't have to put up with the additional discomfort that my sunnies were causing to the sides of my head inside my lid.

Great things about our trip: the weather was superb, the bikes both ran like dreams, the scenery was ......I think you know (starts with S), and I realised I can make do with far less clothes than I've taken on trips before! Heated hand grips are wonderful (boy, I was thankful for them coming through Waiouru and past Ruapehu), and it's lovely riding with someone whose riding style means you can travel together without conflict regarding speed, stopping places etc.
Not so great things: can't think of too many of those, but one thing that jumps out is the incredible amount of roadworks in both islands. Had a heart-in-mouth moment while stopped at the road works at Utiku when, as I went to put my feet down to stop, realised that my left foot (which was the first one I went to put down) didnt' quite reach the dirt as there was a slight dip on that side of the bike aaaarrrggggh! Thankfully the worst that came from the moment was a mouthful of dust from a passing truck while putting my visor up.

So, all up no downsides really. But it's nice to be home, and I think I'll sleep well tonight.
Most likely though long bike trips won't feature too frequently in our future - it made both of us realise just how much abuse your bodies can take when you're younger and more resilient; as you get older recovery takes a while longer!

Toaster
13th April 2010, 22:34
Nice trip! You did fail to visit everybody on KB though!

LBD
14th April 2010, 03:48
And the further south you go, the better it gets...

Glad you had fun

sinfull
14th April 2010, 07:09
Nice read PB, sounds like a wicked trip !!!

Grubber
14th April 2010, 07:13
Next time take 3 weeks and head farther South, i just came back from 4 weeks and 5500k's. Just a blast.

CookMySock
14th April 2010, 07:24
Wow. Yeah I'm surprised you bit off a trip like that, though your two bikes are quite upright.

Nice one PB. Most of my trips are 400-700km, not 5,500.. much respect! :niceone:

Steve

raftn
16th April 2010, 11:27
Awesome.........soooooooooooooooooo love the SOuth Island. Did a three week trip two years back, and am yearning to do it again.

martybabe
16th April 2010, 11:49
What a lovely read to start the day, glad you enjoyed it and well done you and yer Man.

I love the North Island and if that's all there was to NZ I'd still be a happy chappy, I just think God did the south Island with a passion, when he had enough time to relax and really excel himself, with a glass of wine or two on hand. Beautiful just Beautiful.

Disclaimer: It is perfectly possible that the South Island was created by Glaciers and shit, I don't know do I, I was just waxing lyrically in a metaphorical type styli.:scratch::ride:

Anyway, seriously jealous, awesome job.

Pussy
16th April 2010, 18:08
Was good to see you and Balu not turning up looking like drowned rats this time, PrincessBandit! :)

MIXONE
16th April 2010, 18:14
A great trip that.
Martybabe you just know that god rides a bike and created the Mainland as his own personal playground eh.

caseye
17th April 2010, 09:54
Lucky buggers, the SOUTH on a bike? Hummmmmmmmmm Na. Who the hell am I kidding, I'll do it one day.Great read,understand the scenery wasn't bad either.The poor boy missed ya's he did.

oldrider
19th April 2010, 22:19
A great trip that.
Martybabe you just know that god rides a bike and created the Mainland as his own personal playground eh.

Yes I do and yes I did...and you are all invited to enjoy it with me......Cheers, God. :yes:

PB had that melt down (which I interpreted as got sick) and didn't make it down here, hopefully there will be a next time! :shit:

Glad you are both home safe and that you had a great trip. :niceone:

shafty
20th April 2010, 07:20
NYCE write up.

Pics would be cool.

Cut that "getting too old" crap out RIGHT AWAY!! :yes:

hayd3n
20th April 2010, 07:30
not good enough ,
you missed the catlins

SDU
20th April 2010, 13:32
Sounds like you had great trip :scooter:but please don't let everyone in on how stunning it is :shutup: :sunny:
You forgot to come & meet the locals in ChCh, dispite the rumours we are not that scary down here:shifty:

chrisso
22nd April 2010, 00:51
Best part of the world!! Makes me homesick.I love the whole W Coast road. Do they have any Cameras or Radar Cops around there now... Cheers, Chrisso- ex Sth Islander

PrincessBandit
23rd April 2010, 07:45
Here are a few pix from the trip. First is Lake Rotoiti at St Arnaud, second is view from the swing bridge in the Buller Gorge (shown in the fifth pic), third fourth and sixth pix are at Hawks Crag.

scumdog
23rd April 2010, 07:51
So you missed the lower half of the South Island?

Then you also missed the bestest scenery!

Next time eh?

scumdog
23rd April 2010, 07:53
Best part of the world!! Makes me homesick.I love the whole W Coast road. Do they have any Cameras or Radar Cops around there now... Cheers, Chrisso- ex Sth Islander

Yep, they have 'em here - but with that sort of scenery you don't need to be in a hurry, you'll miss a lot of sights if you're head-down, bum up and fanging it everywhere.

PrincessBandit
23rd April 2010, 07:56
Very sadly we were not able to extend the trip as much as we would have liked. The original plan was to get much further south, but finances took a turn for the worse when we had to pay my fees for Training college and the $$$ got diverted elsewhere.....
We'll just have to plan another trip !