PDA

View Full Version : Service station helmet removal??

Juan
19th May 2005, 05:17
Do you have to remove your lid while filling your bike in your fine land?

I ask this as for the first time EVER I was asked to remove my lid when paying for fuel :mad: Have spoken to the head man of Total oil in the IOM and he says it is to help his staff to feel safer in thier jobs....

Me? I feel insulted, and have therefore told him to cancel my heating oil deliverys and monthly payment and myself and Mrs Juan will not be using Total fuel again, this will cost them in the region of £4000 a year (my good lady is a driving instructor and therefore spends approx £50-£60 per week on fuel)

This rule should be fun in the next three weeks... TT and between 10 and 12 thousand extra bikes..... I await the fireworks :whistle:

Rant over..... :niceone:

LB
19th May 2005, 05:29
Generally always leave helmet on when paying, though make sure wallet and money are out when I go through door, and always make eye contact as soon as I can.

Only once have I been asked to remove helmet, that was at Fox Glacier in March. Apparently they had been robbed fairly recently by guys wearing helmets, so I had no problem in taking my helmet off (though it's a pain in the ass as you have everything just so and comfortable.......). It is their prerogative.

there's an earlier thread with a lot of posts on this, if I get time I'll try to find the link.

However, I find the best solution is to let the husband go in and pay.

Juan
19th May 2005, 05:39
Generally always leave helmet on when paying, though make sure wallet and money are out when I go through door, and always make eye contact as soon as I can.

Only once have I been asked to remove helmet, that was at Fox Glacier in March. Apparently they had been robbed fairly recently by guys wearing helmets, so I had no problem in taking my helmet off (though it's a pain in the ass as you have everything just so and comfortable.......). It is their prerogative.

there's an earlier thread with a lot of posts on this, if I get time I'll try to find the link.

MMMmmmm must get a husband :msn-wink:

As you say it is their perogative, however as an island the IOM is Biker friendly.... It really got my back up, as you probably noticed!!!

And in reply to a question you asked me awhile ago... no I haven't read the Britten books..... YET... I will get round to it :yes:

Krusti
19th May 2005, 05:40
I have allways done it as a matter of courtesy. Her royal holyness has allways reminded me to as well, she used to pump gas years ago and says it is a little intimidating.

Lets my ears breath any way:D but oh the helmet hair:whistle:

Zapf
19th May 2005, 05:42
if they ask me to take off my helmet I walk out and pay thru the night service window. that is another reason I don't go to some BP's.

some of them go... "blar ... blar blar .... this is a police requirement" MY ASS! :puke:

I get annoyed as they have no idea how much trouble to be holding your gloves / keys / wallet and then take your glasses off, while holding it take your helmet off and put your glasses back on without droping one of the above.

LB
19th May 2005, 05:48
Juan: this is the thread - it starts out with sitting on the bike and putting the gas in, but turns into helmet removal.

You will enjoy the Britten books!!

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=3099&page=1&pp=15&highlight=petrol+helmet+remove

Krusti
19th May 2005, 05:55
if they ask me to take off my helmet I walk out and pay thru the night service window. that is another reason I don't go to some BP's.

some of them go... "blar ... blar blar .... this is a police requirement" MY ASS! :puke:

I get annoyed as they have no idea how much trouble to be holding your gloves / keys / wallet and then take your glasses off, while holding it take your helmet off and put your glasses back on without droping one of the above.
You poor boy...I weep for you...may be we should have a helmet removal training day...:killingme

You go Zapf...:Punk:

Juan
19th May 2005, 06:02
Juan: this is the thread - it starts out with sitting on the bike and putting the gas in, but turns into helmet removal.

You will enjoy the Britten books!!

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=3099&page=1&pp=15&highlight=petrol+helmet+remove

Cheers, some interesting points...... still won't do it tho.... point of principle... This is a biker friendly island....i think :yes:

Antallica
19th May 2005, 06:31
There is a BP south of Auckland that demands you take off your helmets as you arrive and do not sit on the bike to fill up. It's policy.

John
19th May 2005, 06:40
I noticed that alot of stations have a 'Please Remove Helmet' sign in the window, I always take mine off, saves the commotion.

Hooks
19th May 2005, 07:01
but oh the helmet hair:whistle:

Maybe we should have a hair training day :devil2: .... or better yet .... you guys should have cool haircuts like mine .... or better yet ... like Quasi's !!! :killingme

thehollowmen
19th May 2005, 07:45
Yeah, I'm doing the whole 'slowly take off helmet and fumble around with gloves keys cards and helmet' thing as my form of protest.

I do know a petrol station where the guys recognise me and have told me to keep it on, which is great. One of them rides too so knows what it is like.

I can understand why they want it, but it makes it so much rougher on us, especially now that winter has come on.

Ash Wells
19th May 2005, 07:54
I have always (last 20 years or so) had flip up front type helmets and never found anyone asked me to take it off,except once the Mobil in Johnsonville,so I (and wife) just never went there again,especially as Youngs at the bottom of Ironside road were so great to deal with (a true service station).

hondacmx450
19th May 2005, 07:56
i will take my helmet off but no way will i give you my gun now the cash and make it snappy iv got 3 more to do on the way home :killingme :killingme :killingme :killingme :whocares:

Lou Girardin
19th May 2005, 08:16
Buy a flip front.

NordieBoy
19th May 2005, 08:20

If they are going to make you take your helmet off then they should have a notice telling you this.
And not one hidden behind a sign by the door.
One that you can actually see before you start filling up.

The helmet is for my protection, I feel safer with it on (slipping on diesel) and anyway the customer is always right. Right?

I've only been asked to take mine off twice.
First time I told him I wouldn't fix his computer again if I did :whistle: and the second time I specifically looked around for a "no helmets" sign and didn't see one and was told that it was just so they could describe you if they had to.

Hmmmm....
I think the intimidation part is that they get only a small minority comming in on bikes so helmets are a rareity. You see all these faces and suddenly there is an anonymous (anonymous! me! my bike! but everyone knows my bike!) biker in front of them. If everyone was wearing helmets then someone without one would be the one to cause discomfort.

Odin
19th May 2005, 08:35
If we lived in a world where people had respect and the like it would most likely not be necesary but as it is there is to many "bad" people out there. If i was pumping gas I'd prefere bikers taking there helmets off.

If people lived more by "don't do to others what you don't want them to do to you" the world would be a better place. But i guess today the motto is more like "Take care of number 1."

....Yes i remove my helmet...

bear
19th May 2005, 08:44
Never been asked, but if I was it wouldn't be a problem.

This topic has been covered before and it was mentioned that sometimes counter staff may ask as they have been victims of robberies before - don't have a problem removing helmet for this reason.

Madguitarist!
19th May 2005, 08:54
Buy a flip front.
.........from AMPS........ hehehe...... :D

Sniper
19th May 2005, 09:33
I take mine off to keep in the good books

Zed
19th May 2005, 10:25
Do you have to remove your lid while filling your bike in your fine land?Hi Juan, it's not compulsory to remove your helmet when filling up over here, but some service stations require that you take off your helmet when paying for the fuel over the counter. I always leave my helmet on unless the specific s/stn has a sign or sticker (usually located on the entrance door) requesting removal of the helmet. The sticker is usuallly showing a helmet with a big red line or cross through it!

I've never been asked by an attendant to remove my helmet...I have been asked to stop using my cell phone but! :o

Maximus
19th May 2005, 10:32

Yea mate, there are enuf prejudices against "us" as there is. Also I think that some servo station employees/cashiers must get a little nervous as to security issues etc, with there being so many armed hold ups in NZ lately . . . . Its a shame that the wankers out there ruin it for us decent people!

XP@
19th May 2005, 10:34
I've been told to remove my open flip front in pack and save...
i walked out

Waylander
19th May 2005, 10:48
Havn't seen it to often here but in the states almost every petrol station has a card reader at the pump. So there is no reason to go inside unless you don't have a debit card (similar to Eftpos) or credit card. Though when going inside I usuallly just take it off cause I end up getting a coke or something to eat while waiting for a bit. Lets the ears breath and I'm a guy so what do I care what my hair does after being in the helmet for a few hours. I don't get off the bike when fueling either and no one has said anything about that to me other than Lena.

Lou Girardin
19th May 2005, 10:54
There's plenty of gas stations/supermarkets, whatever. If one pisses you off go elsewhere.
Like the Countdown store that wouldn't accept my firearms and drivers licences as ID. I had to have one of theirs. They apparently thought that their checking processes were better than the cops. I left the trundler, groceries etc in the checkout and left. They haven't got a cent of mine since.

Biff
19th May 2005, 10:59
I'm with you on this one Juan. I never took my helmet off when fuelling up in the UK, and never experienced any difficulties until the last month or so before I left to come to NZ.

I fuelled up at a Tesco and as I finished I heard a voice over the forecourt speaker squawk something. I didn't quite hear what was said due to the fact that I was wearing ear plugs and my helmet at the time. I then entered the shop in order to pay and a spotty arrogant fuckwit behind the counter insisted I removed my helmet before I paid. I said no, won't do it, he said then he'd phone the police. I said go ahead, left my 10 pounds on the counter and walked out.

While I understand that there may be some security concerns, if he was that bothered then he should not have armed the pump until I took my helmet off, and the spotty prick shouldn't have been so arrogant and condescending.

Maybe he just thought I was going to beat him around the head with a ten pound note I had in my hand when I entered the shop?

I've never taken my helmet off here either. But in all honesty if any petrol station was that concerned, particularly if they'd been hit before by some thieving scum, then I probably would take the effort to remove my lid out of courtesy.

Flyingpony
19th May 2005, 11:44
Here's what I do:

Ride into station
Place bike on side stand
Lock steering wheel (Edit: I meant handle bars :doh: )
Remove gloves
Proceed to fill up tank

Murphy's law would state that if I were to place my helmet on the bike seat or the ground, I'd either:

Drop it.
Accidently kick it
Spill petrol on it

Once done, I fetch my credit card and proceed to slowly walk towards the doors fiddling with my helmet & stuff. It's all timed so it's off just as I enter the shop doors.

What gets my wick :mad: , are those attendant boys wanting to close my fuel cap as I hang up the pump. Hand's off boys! :nono:

Have you all noticed that pump hoses are getting shorter now-a-days?
With the car if I end up in the wrong lane, the nozzle won't reach anymore unless I have to crawl out of the passenger side. This is becoming an OSH issue.

Jonty
19th May 2005, 11:49
I actually remove my helmet out of courtesy. I used to work in at Caltex in my student days and always felt a little uneasy when someone come in with a helmet late at night. Also, for me it feels a little strange wearing a helmet inside especially if you you need to speak to people.

I have no problems with people who prefer not to mind you. :ride:

Deano
19th May 2005, 11:54
I would only consider removing my helmet late at night.

If they want my money then make it easier for me to hand it over, not harder.

The day I get asked to remove my helmet is the day I throw my money through the door, or use the night pay drawer.

White trash
19th May 2005, 11:55
Anyone walking around in the bike shop wearing a helmet, is destined to be ignored untill the find the courtesay to remove said lid.

Of course, nothing to say that's not the effect they're after.

Virago
19th May 2005, 12:13
I'm with you on this one Juan. I never took my helmet off when fuelling up in the UK, and never experienced any difficulties until the last month or so before I left to come to NZ.

I fuelled up at a Tesco and as I finished I heard a voice over the forecourt speaker squawk something. I didn't quite hear what was said due to the fact that I was wearing ear plugs and my helmet at the time. I then entered the shop in order to pay and a spotty arrogant fuckwit behind the counter insisted I removed my helmet before I paid. I said no, won't do it, he said then he'd phone the police. I said go ahead, left my 10 pounds on the counter and walked out.

While I understand that there may be some security concerns, if he was that bothered then he should not have armed the pump until I took my helmet off, and the spotty prick shouldn't have been so arrogant and condescending.

Maybe he just thought I was going to beat him around the head with a ten pound note I had in my hand when I entered the shop?

I've never taken my helmet off here either. But in all honesty if any petrol station was that concerned, particularly if they'd been hit before by some thieving scum, then I probably would take the effort to remove my lid out of courtesy.
Oh dear, the more I read on this forum, the more I am convinced that a well-balanced biker has a chip on both shoulders.

If you were a hunter, would you expect to be able to walk into a bank carrying a shotgun? And react with self-righteous indignation if challenged?

The reality is that the bad guys use helmets when doing robberies. Show some common courtesy to those that work in these places, and remove your helmet!

Deano
19th May 2005, 12:30
Like the Countdown store that wouldn't accept my firearms and drivers licences as ID. I had to have one of theirs. They apparently thought that their checking processes were better than the cops. I left the trundler, groceries etc in the checkout and left. They haven't got a cent of mine since.

If it was to purchase liquor, they can only accept 4 types of ID and strangely enough, a gun licence isn't one of them. A NZ photo driver's licence is though so what was the reason for refusal ?

I used to work in a gas station and helmets did not bother me in the slightest - not as much as when the MM pulled in, or some clown from the pub next door decided he would win a fight by using a petrol pump as a flamethrower.

idb
19th May 2005, 12:45
If attendants are nervous about working in a service station, then they must be dangerous places and we should be nervous about stopping there.
It sounds like it is safer to keep the helmet on in case a robbery breaks out.

crashe
19th May 2005, 12:47
At my local BP garage I always leave my helmet on... only cos they know me.

At all other garages I leave it on, but occassionaly, I take it off as it gives my head a breather from the weight of the helmet, especially after a long ride.
Up til now I have never been asked to remove the helmet.
As I have my wallet out and they can see that Im about to pay them and not rob them.

There are signs up to say remove them and at the beginning I did it all the time, but heck what with gloves, sunnies and keys etc.... I started leaving it on.

If I was asked to then yep I would remove it, cos maybe they have been recently robbed etc.

At my local BP garage there is a big sign up stating not to sit on the bike when refueling. I might add that I have never done this, as it doesnt seem safe to do it. (BP Glendene has just been rebuilt so new signs up everywhere)

FEINT
19th May 2005, 12:56
I leave my helmet on and haven't been asked to remove it. Usually open the visor so they can see the eyes....... :D

I wear a balaclava under the helmet and if I was asked to remove the helmet, I would be wearing a balaclava, I don't know if that is much better... :) Might be even scarier!

Biff
19th May 2005, 12:59
Oh dear, the more I read on this forum, the more I am convinced that a well-balanced biker has a chip on both shoulders.

If you were a hunter, would you expect to be able to walk into a bank carrying a shotgun? And react with self-righteous indignation if challenged?

The reality is that the bad guys use helmets when doing robberies. Show some common courtesy to those that work in these places, and remove your helmet!

"But in all honesty if any petrol station was that concerned, particularly if they'd been hit before by some thieving scum, then I probably would take the effort to remove my lid out of courtesy."

You did read this bit - right?

I said I would remove my helmet happily. And if the service station had a sign up asking me to I probably would. But I won't be spoken down to by a spotty arrogant teenager. Sorry - I'm far too stubborn for that.

Virago
19th May 2005, 14:14
"But in all honesty if any petrol station was that concerned, particularly if they'd been hit before by some thieving scum, then I probably would take the effort to remove my lid out of courtesy."

You did read this bit - right?

I said I would remove my helmet happily. And if the service station had a sign up asking me to I probably would. But I won't be spoken down to by a spotty arrogant teenager. Sorry - I'm far too stubborn for that.
I stand corrected - my rant was aimed at all and sundry. And I agree - you're far too stubborn! :msn-wink:

festus
19th May 2005, 14:26
Never been asked yet to remove my helmet............on long trips I usually remove it anyway to give the top of my head a good scratch and wiggle me ears... :D

:ride:

Quasievil
19th May 2005, 14:26
Maybe we should have a hair training day :devil2: .... or better yet .... you guys should have cool haircuts like mine .... or better yet ... like Quasi's !!! :killingme

Yeah bro, look cool........ d huh?

Holy Roller
19th May 2005, 14:36

I ask this as for the first time EVER I was asked to remove my lid when paying for fuel :mad:

While filling NO you can keep your lid on but it is good practice to remove the lid when paying inside unless there is a forecourt attendant to give the money to. Since I usually wear an open face and fill up at one station only, being late for work I will leave it on but all the staff know me.

vifferman
19th May 2005, 14:47
Here's what I do:

Ride into station
Place bike on side stand
Lock steering wheel
Remove gloves
Proceed to fill up tank
Interesting. I'd like to see that bike.

Anyhoo, I never used to take my helmet off (too many things to fumble with), and then after being asked to remove it at a station a few years ago, I always took it off. Then after reading the last thread on this topic, I took to never taking it off unless asked to, regardless of little sticker thingos on doors, etc., and since making that decision, I've never been asked to remove it.
If I am asked, then I will remove it, because my only reason for leaving it on is my own convenience and because I have too many things to juggle when paying for petrol, and I'd rather not drop my helmet on the concrete.

Deano
19th May 2005, 14:47

I don't think that analogy is appropriate, unless you can purchase ammo at a bank ???

Bad guys also wear caps, sunnies, hoodies - should they be asked to remove them before entering ?

If the fuel industry wants to enforce the no helmet rule, then the onus is on them to come up with a solution so that their CUSTOMERS are not incovenienced.

I.e. Pay at the pump or pay drawer.

Waylander
19th May 2005, 15:13
Hmm I hope that the petrol stations dont go the way of that mall in england. And y'all mock the states for thier false freedoms.

Lou Girardin
19th May 2005, 15:23
If it was to purchase liquor, they can only accept 4 types of ID and strangely enough, a gun licence isn't one of them. A NZ photo driver's licence is though so what was the reason for refusal ?

I used to work in a gas station and helmets did not bother me in the slightest - not as much as when the MM pulled in, or some clown from the pub next door decided he would win a fight by using a petrol pump as a flamethrower.

I did say groceries and, though it's kind of you to imply it, I no longer look under 18. :no:

Quasievil
19th May 2005, 15:39
Helmets arent so cool if your running from the cops as a helmet is a perfect way to bring someone down real quick, grab it (head high style) and throw em down, nothing easier, I did some work with the cops a few years back and we chased a guy on a VTR1000, he parked up after a long highspeed chase, the cop (my mate) said jump out and take him down by the Helmet, the guy didnt have a chance, no way.Therefore if your robbing a gas station or whatever a helmet would not be the way I would go.

Deano
19th May 2005, 16:02
Helmets arent so cool if your running from the cops as a helmet is a perfect way to bring someone down real quick, grab it (head high style) and throw em down, nothing easier, I did some work with the cops a few years back and we chased a guy on a VTR1000, he parked up after a long highspeed chase, the cop (my mate) said jump out and take him down by the Helmet, the guy didnt have a chance, no way.Therefore if your robbing a gas station or whatever a helmet would not be the way I would go.

Ive mentioned that a few times before.

Although a sawn off shottie would even things up a bit.

The Tazman
19th May 2005, 16:20
I don't take mine off as a rule but would if asked. It is a shame that there are Muppets in this world that muck things up for others but you do have to respect the person doing their job. I try to live by "don't do to others you wouldn't like done to yourself" I find this answers most of your own ?'s on these things !!

Ixion
19th May 2005, 16:23
I did say groceries and, though it's kind of you to imply it, I no longer look under 18. :no:

Eh - what groceries do you need ID to buy ?

ManDownUnder
19th May 2005, 16:31

The usual, ciggies, spirits, air rifles...

... oh and those Weapons of Mass Destruction, ... BRUSSEL SPROUTS!

inlinefour
19th May 2005, 16:35
But if I do get asked, I understand and remove my helmet and not have a cow like this turkey that started this thread. Been asked to hop off my bike while filling it, was really ironic because the same turkey that told me to get off was also witnessed smoking in the frount of the shop (within the forecourt) and people wonder why I never ever use Mobil :whistle:

Lou Girardin
19th May 2005, 16:39

Paid by cheque, you remember those things, write on 'em then the bank holds your money for 7 days.

Wolf
19th May 2005, 16:43
I normally roll up to the bowser, shut down the engine, put the bike on it's side stand, unlock the tank, fill up, close the tank flap and return the handpiece to its cradle then just wander into the building, stand in the queue if there is one and pay for the petrol. I have the visor up and always attempt to make eye-contact with the attendant - through the thick lenses of my glasses.

No one has complained to me yet - perhaps they all perceive that it would be a hassle removing glasses, helmet etc and cut me some slack - or perhaps I'm such a short arse that even bulked out in black motorcycle armour I totally fail to look intimidating...

Fair enough not wearing helmets in banks - but banks aren't Service Stations, i.e. they aren't in the business of providing service to motorists. All motorists, even the "scummy second-class citizens" on bikes.

OK, so most servos aim to be trendy cafes and supermarkets rather than Service stations - as evidenced by the fact they don't sell motorcycle-grade oil (take note pretty much everyone but Mobil on that score) or handy replacements for things that can fail unpredictably (like flasher units) - but seriously, if they feel intimidated by bikers, then they shouldn't be in business.

We are their clients, we pay their wages, we are the reason they are there. If the Kiwi Host course says I have to be polite to a person who is actively swearing at me down the telephone (because I won't give him an internet without porn), then the servo staff have to put up with "scary-looking" bikers who are merely "there" and not actively making threats.

The service station exists for my convenience as a client. As it is not convenient for me to remove my helmet, they have two choices - serve me politely and take the money I am carrying, or provide some way I can pay without damaging the delicate psyche of the PFY behind the counter.

As I said - I've had no probs. Wander up, say g'day, say "$10 on pump 5" or whatever - if it's not busy they normally are already asking "just $10 dollars on pump 5, is it?" as they've spotted the bike by the pump, seen me in front of them and made the logical leap with no apparent effort - smile (as I smile properly, not just a "PanAm smile", they can see the crow's feet around my eyes increase) hand them the money or my EFT-POS card, transaction is completed, we exchange "have-a-nice-day"s, and I leave.

Biff
19th May 2005, 16:45
And y'all mock the states for thier false freedoms.

I heard that there's a bank in Northern Michigan that offers new customers a free gun with every account they open. Sweeeeeeeeet.

Lou Girardin
19th May 2005, 16:53
I wonder how many robbers gas up before they rob the place?

Waylander
19th May 2005, 16:57
I heard that there's a bank in Northern Michigan that offers new customers a free gun with every account they open. Sweeeeeeeeet.
That's Texas mate.:devil2:

Paul in NZ
19th May 2005, 17:21
usually I rumble up on my old crock...

Heave it onto the main stand piss about with gloves, flaps, caps and stuff, move the tank bag etc etc fill up and walk into the station...

They only ever once ask me to remove my lid...

After that (and screaming of no no no put it back on for pitys sake and oh that poor poor man and dogs howling and little children crying etc ) they are even happy for me to leave my tinted visor down and post the money in next week..

Meh! Works for me...

Paul N

Pretty on the inside...

crazylittleshit
19th May 2005, 17:29

I do this also And have had very little to no problems

Flyingpony
19th May 2005, 18:05
Lock steering wheel

Interesting. I'd like to see that bike.

Oh :shit:, In a grand canyon near by, you can hear the resounding echo of:

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Aitch
19th May 2005, 18:28
three words ...EFTPOS AT PUMP!
But how many times do you see the eftpos readers on pumps covered up?
stoopid petrol companies.....

Skyryder
19th May 2005, 18:34

Seems I need a new pair of glasses. Thought you said "to show them your good looks."

Skyryder

Monsterbishi
19th May 2005, 18:40
I've always taken mine off as matter of good practice, If you don't have that kinda time or patience to spare, you need to re-schedule your life...

Phurrball
19th May 2005, 18:44

= 2 words and an acromym :msn-wink: Sorry...couldn't help it... :whistle:

Ghost Lemur
19th May 2005, 18:50
But how many times do you see the eftpos readers on pumps covered up?
stoopid petrol companies.....

Mobil seem to be the only ones who consistantly have terminals at the pumps.

GSVR
19th May 2005, 19:57
Now the weathers cold you could always take your helmet off and go in to pay wearing a balaclava.

Personally I think its good manners to remove your helmet when paying for gas. If I am in a hurry I will apologise for not taking my helmet off and will always pay with the correct amount.

LED
19th May 2005, 20:21
Now the weathers cold you could always take your helmet off and go in to pay wearing a balaclava.

Personally I think its good manners to remove your helmet when paying for gas. If I am in a hurry I will apologise for not taking my helmet off and will always pay with the correct amount.

When paying - yep no worries, i agree. did have an instant in howick where they refused to start the pump until i took my skid lid off. apparently too many runners. did piss me off though......

Juan
20th May 2005, 04:57
Wel thanks for all your replies guys and galls...

we have now decided not use Total SS for anything and changed to Shell heating oil.... just a small protest on our behalf....

And will be for maybe an hour watching at a Total station TT week, should be fun!!!

inlinefour
20th May 2005, 09:47
Wel thanks for all your replies guys and galls...

we have now decided not use Total SS for anything and changed to Shell heating oil.... just a small protest on our behalf....

And will be for maybe an hour watching at a Total station TT week, should be fun!!!

What are you going to do if they ask you also to remove your helmet :killingme How many oil companies can you go through over there :D :killingme :wait:

idb
20th May 2005, 10:01
= 2 words and an acromym :msn-wink: Sorry...couldn't help it... :whistle:
eerrrmmm....could it be that you mean acronym ? Sorry...couldn't help it...:whistle:

zadok
20th May 2005, 10:03

All petrol stations here (W.A) seem to have the "Remove Helmet" signs. I do it automatically, it's no big deal.
I'm with you on this one 'Virago = Viagra'

Marty :ride:

Oakie
20th May 2005, 10:13
I leave mine on at my local garage as they know my bike now but anywhere else, the lid comes off. (Don't wanna get crash-tackled by a bunch of do-good grannies who think I'm a baddie)

Clockwork
20th May 2005, 11:16
OK, here's the shallowest reply of the thread but......

I've always felt that wearing a crash helmet when you are not in the immediate vicinity of a motorcycle looks a little..... "odd", kinda like wearing a shirt with the top button done up and no tie.

I take my helmet off simply because I feel a bit nerdy wandering around with it on. :o

Wolf
20th May 2005, 11:34
When I get the dough I'll be able to afford a flip-front helmet then there'll be no probs - I'll be able to open the front of the helmet and give the staff a better view of my ski mask...

Have paid for gas wearing not only my helmet but a ski mask uinderneath - the guy didn't even bat an eyelid as it was wicked cold outside.

Juan
21st May 2005, 07:17
What are you going to do if they ask you also to remove your helmet :killingme How many oil companies can you go through over there :D :killingme :wait:

Well...... Only Shell left, whose nice lady on the phone, also a biker, was apalled by the idea... so hopefully I'll be ok for a while!!! :niceone:

N4CR
21st May 2005, 10:34
Filling up at GAS last night in glen innes (yeah mr blue/red cbr250 who drove by that was me if you are on this site) I received some weird stares and 'walk around the bike/checking it out' type treatment... I think I felt more threatened lol.

I figured as there might have been recent robberies (not the nicest area) I should take the helmet off and get the cash out. They looked nervous as hell at the counter untill I asked if they had/are getting 98, just so I could break the ice. I was expecting red and blues to turn up or something :msn-wink:

It all ended up friendly and happy and the attendant ended up asking me how many km's/L the bike does while I was putting the helmet back on!

thehollowmen
21st May 2005, 11:35
Not many places in Dunedin have signs telling you to remove your helmet, although they all now have signs telling you you must dismount your bike to fill it.

I managed to talk 2 service station guys to hold my bike level when I filled it the other day so I could make the minimum and use my AA card :niceone: Bored at night gotta love it.

Yarg
21st May 2005, 13:33
Normally take it off as a matter of courtisey. :ride:

maybe
21st May 2005, 23:54
I have a flip front so no issue

murhf3
22nd May 2005, 11:00
Its a fecking pain in the arse, but I do see there piont,its worse when ya hav to take gloves of and ya bacpack to get gas, all takes time when I want to be ridding :ride: :cold:

murhf3
22nd May 2005, 11:03
Filling up at GAS last night in glen innes (yeah mr blue/red cbr250 who drove by that was me if you are on this site) I received some weird stares and 'walk around the bike/checking it out' type treatment... I think I felt more threatened lol.

I figured as there might have been recent robberies (not the nicest area) I should take the helmet off and get the cash out. They looked nervous as hell at the counter untill I asked if they had/are getting 98, just so I could break the ice. I was expecting red and blues to turn up or something :msn-wink:

It all ended up friendly and happy and the attendant ended up asking me how many km's/L the bike does while I was putting the helmet back on!
Noticed that,is this right and is it comming everywhere?

murhf3
22nd May 2005, 11:08
Well...... Only Shell left, whose nice lady on the phone, also a biker, was apalled by the idea... so hopefully I'll be ok for a while!!! :niceone:
Hi hey I had a ZX12R 2002, 180hp, dreamed of ridding your roads on it as 330km/ph here was a tad unexceptable altho it appealed to me. :cold:

NC
22nd May 2005, 11:10
If I really can't be fucked taking the helmet off, I don't. But everyother single time I take it off, I think it's a manners thing.

Yes I do have manners

CBR97
22nd May 2005, 13:23
:yes: I rekon its the Goverment,
I met this guy in Mt Eden, he was talking to himself, he had a helmet on with a tourch trapped to the top, he told me " the goverment was doing strange things to all of us", and maybe this is one of the strange things,
I,ll ask him next time I see him.

but if im asked i do take my helmet off, (but i make sure the cameras dont see my face, im sure the S.I.S use the cramers to spy on us.)

Plus the helmet hair thing

yep, im stuck inside,
might go and change my sparkplugs

Sutage
22nd May 2005, 18:05
Asked the guy at the place where i fill if he minded, he said he personally doesnt care, titirangi BP is the place to be ! :Punk:

Zed
22nd May 2005, 18:21
Asked the guy at the place where i fill if he minded, he said he personally doesnt care, titirangi BP is the place to be ! :Punk:Personally I don't have a 'preferred supplier' of petrol. Whoever is closest at the time I need it gets my money! I mean, a good service station is not to be compared to a good restaurant, where I will return time and time again because the food tastes so delicious. :yes:

Sutage
22nd May 2005, 18:34
Us westies gotta stick together! I generally always fill there now because its close to my house, and whereever i go i pretty much go past there, plus i hate Mobil petrol!

scumdog
22nd May 2005, 19:58
Not many places in Dunedin have signs telling you to remove your helmet, although they all now have signs telling you you must dismount your bike to fill it.

I managed to talk 2 service station guys to hold my bike level when I filled it the other day so I could make the minimum and use my AA card :niceone: Bored at night gotta love it.

Same here, most of them just say "oh, back again eh?"

NEVER been told to take off helmet or to get off bike while filling it.

Jantar
25th May 2005, 18:12
....If you were a hunter, would you expect to be able to walk into a bank carrying a shotgun? And react with self-righteous indignation if challenged?....

Legally, that is exactly what you must do. If you have been out duck shooting, and need to call in at the bank on the way home, then you are NOT permitted to leave a firearm unattended on your bike. :nono: You must carry it with you even into the bank.

Now, try explaining that one to the armed offenders squad when they arrive at the bank a few minutes later.

250learna
26th May 2005, 09:29
Legally, that is exactly what you must do. If you have been out duck shooting, and need to call in at the bank on the way home, then you are NOT permitted to leave a firearm unattended on your bike. :nono: You must carry it with you even into the bank.

Now, try explaining that one to the armed offenders squad when they arrive at the bank a few minutes later.

the way i see it your F#$%$d either way :no:

vifferman
26th May 2005, 09:50

Years ago, when I was a professional sheep-shagger, there was a guy who worked on the station who was quite good at screwing things up: he ran himself over with the ditch-digger (max. speed about 1 km/h), got the dozer stuck in the swamp because he drove it in there so he could stand on the blade to pick watercress and keep his feet dry, etc. etc.
(You get the idea? Not the sharpest crayon in the box, by any stretch of the imagination...)

One night, he goes down the local pub to have a few, :apint: and runs out of money before he's quite comatose.

What to do.. what to do... :spudwhat:

Eventually, an idea comes to him, and he wanders out to the car to find something he can hopefully sell to the barman. He returns with a sawn-off shotgun, which he takes to the bar. Then this toothless, brainless, oaf starts a drunken discourse with the barman, extolling the virtue of this fine piece of weaponry, and how it should be worth a few shekels.

Can you guess the rest ?

phantom
26th May 2005, 09:59
I normally take my helmet off, its no real biggy, but then have the problem of where to put it. Don't like to put it on the flimsy aftermarket rear vision mirror ( must change them some day ) as it cost a not insignificant amount of money and a fall onto a concrete forecourt is likely to be terminal and every other flat surface in the vicinity is covered in diesel etc

vifferman
26th May 2005, 10:14
I normally take my helmet off, its no real biggy, but then have the problem of where to put it. Don't like to put it on the flimsy aftermarket rear vision mirror ( must change them some day ) as it cost a not insignificant amount of money and a fall onto a concrete forecourt is likely to be terminal and every other flat surface in the vicinity is covered in diesel etc
There's not just the risk of a fall - parking it on your mirror can potentially damage the impact-absorbing materials inside.
(Incidentally, the 'manual' that came with my last helmet said to park the helmet on the ground, on top of the gloves, when taking it off. I guess it usually can't fall any further than that, and the gloves stop the bottom of the shell getting nicks that could turn into cracks.)
The lack of somewhere suitable to park my helmet is one good reason why I leave it on unless I have to take it off. It's unlikely to get damaged on my head. Unless I fall off my bike onto it. :whistle:
Or ride into the gargre before the door's high enough to clear the top of my helmet...:whistle:

rallybug
29th May 2005, 00:18

I ask this as for the first time EVER I was asked to remove my lid when paying for fuel :mad: Have spoken to the head man of Total oil in the IOM and he says it is to help his staff to feel safer in thier jobs....

I pretty much always get my petrol in the Shell? on Peel Road at the Milestone if going out of town, or the Total by ATS if coming back in, haven't taken my helmet off yet and never been asked to either. If I get petrol in Peel it tends to be at the Total, and not been asked there either :yeah:

Goddess of Goof
29th May 2005, 02:06
I wear a balaclava under the helmet and if I was asked to remove the helmet, I would be wearing a balaclava, I don't know if that is much better... :) Might be even scarier!

Aha.... this is a very good point!

I usually dont mind taking off my helmet, and shaking out my hair, and fluffing it up a bit, before slowly walking into the shop to pay :yes: Gives the cager guys something to lust after :devil2: Oh yes they're bored....

.....BUT in the Winter when its cold ..... I wear a helmet liner, and it looks so Medieval and I look scary-ier even still... like a baad Nun

No guys, you don't want to see me in my helmet liner...... not even spotty arrogant teenaged attendants, so I usually push that down as well.

Bloody nuisance : put away wallet, put ear plugs back in properly, helmet liner up again, helmet on smoothly, fringe out of eyes, check bike, gloves on, key in -

:wait: :wait:

speights_bud
10th June 2005, 20:25
I worked at a servo for 5 months, between Napier and wairoa/taupo. Had heaps of bikers through; never had a problem with helmets on. Making eye contact is enough for the bloke behind the counter to realise that you wont to cause any problems.
As for not being able to sit on the bike while re-fuelling, just tell the attendant that there a self closing valve unless the bike is upright in the tank to prevent it from leaking should you come unstuck 'on road'.
Some Bp servo's have chucked in the 'no sitting rule'

Gremlin
10th June 2005, 23:55
Having filled up a grand total of 2 times :2thumbsup , and my bike seems to love wanting to run on reserve just before a Mobil, I just go there.

Gloves off, eftpos card from breast pocket, fill, card back in, gloves on, go. Sometimes I then realise that I put the keys in a breast pocket, so its glove off again. :oi-grr:

Don't think I would bother to take off helmet, simply takes too long. Don't want to scare anybody, but I'd get huffy, and pay outside to make a point. If I had to go inside, the gloves would be under arm, with card in hand. Eye contact is useless with sunnies. I'll have to see how I fare.

Somebody declare this to the police if I end up getting jumped as a potential thief OK??

Wolf
11th June 2005, 00:13
Somebody declare this to the police if I end up getting jumped as a potential thief OK??
Better than that, we'll have it put on your headstone after some paranoid forecourt attendant ventilates your armour with both barrels of the twelve-gauge...

crazyxr250rider
11th June 2005, 00:45
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Gremlin
11th June 2005, 00:53
Better than that, we'll have it put on your headstone after some paranoid forecourt attendant ventilates your armour with both barrels of the twelve-gauge...
hmmmmmmm OK, I was thinking before I received some "breathing holes"