PDA

View Full Version : Canterbury: Saturday Winter (not the WNR)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Flip
16th April 2010, 20:13
Saturday (not the WNR)
Christchurch Saturday (Not the Wednesday Night Cruises 2010)

Note due to interest I have been asked to keep this running all year so........

Every Saturday Weather Dependent - Meet at Burger King car park on Moorhouse Ave at 11.30am for a 12.00 departure.

This is a social ride and an opportunity for a ride during the weekend, these rides started as a winter ride but now is running all year. The destination will generally be a pub or café for lunch, a drink and a chat.

This is not a race from point A to point B. If you want to "see how fast you can go" then please just fuck off. Learners are most welcome on these runs, just let GlowPlug or me know who you are so we can assign a helper to ride with you at your pace.

Ideally the route will be the same as the WNR however depending on the weather and road conditions the destination will change as required.

Duvauchelles-Akaroa.
Oxford.
Leda valley.
Wets Route.
Diamond Harbor.

The rules are the same as the WNR:

1. Rider Responsibility
It is the responsibility of each and every rider to ride safely and within their abilities. If any rider acts in a dangerous manner then they will be asked to leave. Remember, you not only put yourself at danger but also the other riders and the general public. If you do not understand this then do not come.

2. Rider Assistance
At the car park we’ll ask that riders who would like some one on one help will be asked to put their hands up and we’ll ask some of the more experienced riders to provide that help. Please don’t be shy. This is an excellent opportunity to ride with and learn from people who have many decades of riding under their belts.

3. Leader
The cruisy group will have a lead rider appointed each week. Obviously it will be someone with reasonable skill so as to not piss everyone off. The leader will stop at the pre-determined regroup points and wait for the entire group to arrive before departing.

4. Tail End Charlie
A TEC will also be determined as a safety measure.No body will ever be left behind on these runs.

5. Rossi clones
If you wish to do your own thing then feel free, but please leave the BK car park a bit earlier, before the rest of the group!! We'll see you at the pub (and we expect some beers waiting for us when we arive). There's nothing worse than someone trying to be Rossi and carving up the slower riders to get to the front. That's when accidents have happen. Leave first, ride hard and do not place the other's at risk. If we find you in a ditch we will provide first aid until the ambulance arives, but do not expect any sympathy on the web afterwards. If we find you talking to Mr Plod we will take and post photos.

Disclaimer: Neither myself, nor any other participant is responsible for another rider's actions. Each rider is responsible for their own riding.

Most of this was copied from Pheonixgtr, thanks.

Flip

gloplg
16th April 2010, 20:29
Good one Flip will see you tomorrow!!!!:2thumbsup:2thumbsup

Footless
16th April 2010, 21:24
Hey guys
Sounds great, I am busy for the next couple of weeks, but will attend when I can.

KiwiPhoenix
16th April 2010, 22:01
Won't be there tomorrow, MIL in town and daughter has a pretty bad case of the chicken-pox! Lovely eh??

Will be there next week!

Flip
16th April 2010, 22:06
Thanks KP, I havent had chicken pox so you can keep this one to yourself please.

KiwiPhoenix
17th April 2010, 15:18
Thanks KP, I havent had chicken pox so you can keep this one to yourself please.

No worries! She is past the contagious stage now anyways, she just looks like a dot to dot puzzle!

gloplg
17th April 2010, 19:40
:scooter:The first Saturday Ride went to Akaroa today.:scooter:

Five of us had lunch in the sunshine after an enjoyable ride via the Summit Road.:2thumbsup

Where are we going next week?????:chase::chase:

If you want to find out why not join us!!!!!!:yeah::yeah:

neels
17th April 2010, 22:06
Five of us had lunch in the sunshine after an enjoyable ride via the Summit Road.:2thumbsup
summit road from the hilltop is a bit dodgy with the slot in the seal about the width of a motorcycle tyre running down the middle of it, I'm assuming someone is putting a cable in the ground.

TuonoTom
18th April 2010, 12:42
Cheers for a great ride guys. Bike is running so well now :)

KiwiPhoenix
18th April 2010, 20:45
:scooter:The first Saturday Ride went to Akaroa today.:scooter:

Where are we going next week?????:chase::chase:

If you want to find out why not join us!!!!!!:yeah::yeah:

Glad you had a nice ride! (not that I'm jealous much! :laugh:)

gloplg
18th April 2010, 21:04
:Oops::Oops:I screwed up. How do I add photos to the thread please?????

KiwiPhoenix
18th April 2010, 21:17
:Oops::Oops:I screwed up. How do I add photos to the thread please?????

Go Advanced then "manage attachments" attach and reply!

Flip
18th April 2010, 21:45
Cheers for a great ride guys. Bike is running so well now :)

Well you passed me like I was standing still. What happened to CBR250TOM? I miss being able to keep up with him.

KiwiPhoenix
18th April 2010, 21:46
Well you passed me like I was standing still. What happened to CBR250TOM? I miss being able to keep up with him.

What bike were you on??

Flip
19th April 2010, 09:19
What bike were you on??

The Hog.

P_

KiwiPhoenix
19th April 2010, 10:31
Wow, NSR250Tom, you must have kept a good pace!

gloplg
19th April 2010, 18:44
Thanks KP hope this works this time

TuonoTom
19th April 2010, 18:56
Wow, NSR250Tom, you must have kept a good pace!

Na, Flip is just slow :p

KiwiPhoenix
19th April 2010, 19:02
Cool! Still love your bike Flip!

buell
21st April 2010, 07:54
On holiday in South Africa at the moment, but we will be back 2 days before the Duck and will certainley be there, Whohoooo !

schrodingers cat
22nd April 2010, 17:53
I've started a new job out the back of Hornby and took the bike this morning.

I decided the best way to get home to Opawa, since it was a nice day and all, was Haswell, Tai Tapu, Gebbes Pass, Governers Bay, Lyttleton, Sumner - home.

I was right! :yes:

KiwiPhoenix
22nd April 2010, 20:27

I decided the best way to get home to Opawa, since it was a nice day and all, was Haswell, Tai Tapu, Gebbes Pass, Governers Bay, Lyttleton, Sumner - home.

I was right! :yes:

Good job!! :laugh:

gloplg
22nd April 2010, 21:08

I was right! :yes::2thumbsup:2thumbsup

Well said and well done!!!

The only better way I can think of in that neck of the woods is via the Summit Road. But I'm a biased old fart as everyone on the KB site knows.

Welcome to KB are you thinking of joining any of our rides???? If you are free on Saturday, weather permitting we will be having a ride out of Burger King Moorehouse, meeting at 10.00hrs, departing 10.30hrs. But you've already read the thread and know that.

Hope to see you Saturday.

If the weather is crap or doubtful we will post a cancellation on this thread.

kerryhare
23rd April 2010, 16:48
Where to this saturday?

schrodingers cat
23rd April 2010, 17:05
I will join some of the rides.

Not this Saturday tho - I do like my sleep ins! Thanks for the warm welcome.

Really enjoying owning a bike again after ten years without. Bit older and wiser now too...

Flip
23rd April 2010, 17:32
Where to this saturday?

I was thinking about the gorges, and Cafe 51 in Oxford for lunch.

P_

KiwiPhoenix
23rd April 2010, 20:04
Hey guys, I'm out for tomorrow!! I'm having a well deserved lie-in having covered about 1000kms driving in the last few days. (Besides it's supposed to be raining!!)

Have a safe ride chaps!

Flip
23rd April 2010, 22:04
GP was talking about a shorter run tomorrow because of the weather ending up at the Weatshief pub.

I burnt my hand today at work and want to see how it looks tomorrow before I head out.

kerryhare
23rd April 2010, 22:33
I will have to decide in the morning. have to go buy a skate board in the morning and no it is not for me. My god daughter is turning 10 and has put her order in for one for her birthday on Monday. She also wants my bike, she has given me instructions that I have to keep it in the garage until she is old enough to ride it.

Hurrie
24th April 2010, 01:02
definately keen once by bike is up and running again, can't wait! :D

leopardskin
24th April 2010, 09:09
i'm out today as well - but have a good ride to...somewhere (does it ever matter where as long as there isn't hail lightening and horizontal rain?)

gloplg
24th April 2010, 13:55
I will have to decide in the morning. have to go buy a skate board in the morning and no it is not for me. My god daughter is turning 10 and has put her order in for one for her birthday on Monday. She also wants my bike, she has given me instructions that I have to keep it in the garage until she is old enough to ride it.

And then she will give you the skateboard back!!!:yes::laugh::lol::lol::lol:

Anyway Flip, Waitforme and I had a very enjoyable social ride today to the Wheatshief for lots of chat and:apint:.

Rather damp on the way back, anyone know where I can get a waterproof jacket and boots????

And next week Oxford???????

KiwiPhoenix
24th April 2010, 19:39
GP was talking about a shorter run tomorrow because of the weather ending up at the Weatshief pub.

I burnt my hand today at work and want to see how it looks tomorrow before I head out.

How is the hand today Flip??

And then she will give you the skateboard back!!!:yes::laugh::lol::lol::lol:

Anyway Flip, Waitforme and I had a very enjoyable social ride today to the Wheatshief for lots of chat and:apint:.

Rather damp on the way back, anyone know where I can get a waterproof jacket and boots????

And next week Oxford???????

Glad you had a nice ride! Should be a goer for next week!

kerryhare
25th April 2010, 07:44
Oxford sounds good, hopefully i will make it along.

gloplg
25th April 2010, 15:32
Oxford sounds good, hopefully i will make it along.

Hope to see you then. What about that old fellow with the grey Duke will we see him????

Hows the hand today Flip???

schrodingers cat
25th April 2010, 15:48
:2thumbsup:2thumbsup

The only better way I can think of in that neck of the woods is via the Summit Road.

Sunday afternoon having a nice warm breeze I went for a look at the Summit Road as suggested.
I've never driven or ridden on the stretch between Dyer's and Gebbe's.
Spectacular views and a super set of curves!
Very few damp patches also.

What I did notice was that the boyracertwits have spent a ton of time up there proving their idiotmobiles can spin the tyres (whoo hoo:whocares:)

Do they often/ever spill kero or diesel up there?

gloplg
25th April 2010, 19:40
Sunday afternoon having a nice warm breeze I went for a look at the Summit Road as suggested.

What I did notice was that the boyracertwits have spent a ton of time up there proving their idiotmobiles can spin the tyres (whoo hoo:whocares:)

Unfortunately boyracers are a fact of life, as they are pushed out of one area they move into another. I havn't seen any evidence of kero or diesel.

Please remember to be careful of the corners that have no runoff areas. As a "summit road nutter" I love riding up there, however I know that a number of the corners need to be treated with respect.

Good that you enjoyed yourself, hope to see you soon!!!!

Flip
26th April 2010, 21:41
Hope to see you then. What about that old fellow with the grey Duke will we see him????

Hows the hand today Flip???

Its getting a bit better, the middle finger looks a bit like a pink grilled cheese sandwich.

I have been mucking around with the wheel alignment on the side car. Found that the person who fitted the car was a monkey. I noticed that the rear tire was disappearing very quickly, so I did some research and found that the side car should have 10mm toe in, mine had almost 70mm. I had to modify side car brackets to get the correct toe in, which was a bit of a bugger. It has cost me the best part of a set of tires to find this out. I did however find that Cycletreads (bless his bonny Mohawk) do stock a really nice old school Dunlop (Gold Seal K70) tire that will fit on the bike perfectly and look the part.

gloplg
27th April 2010, 13:56
Its getting a bit better, the middle finger looks a bit like a pink grilled cheese sandwich.

I have been mucking around with the wheel alignment on the side car. Found that the person who fitted the car was a monkey. I noticed that the rear tire was disappearing very quickly, so I did some research and found that the side car should have 10mm toe in, mine had almost 70mm. I had to modify side car brackets to get the correct toe in, which was a bit of a bugger. It has cost me the best part of a set of tires to find this out. I did however find that Cycletreads (bless his bonny Mohawk) do stock a really nice old school Dunlop (Gold Seal K70) tire that will fit on the bike perfectly and look the part.

Hmmmmmmmm.........................Asian monkeys...................working on vintage Bmers even....................:shit::blink:

Hmmmmmmmmm.......................Anyone got any peanuts???????????:lol::lol::lol:

Seriously though it's good you were able to sort out the tyre issues :sherlock:you were having. It might help the handling and give a bit more speed. Then I really would have to pedal faster.:o:o

Next time you have a cheese sandwich be very careful!!!!!!!!!!!:innocent::innocent:

kerryhare
27th April 2010, 19:07
Hope to see you then. What about that old fellow with the grey Duke will we see him????...

No he will be working.

Flip
28th April 2010, 09:06
Yo Glow Plug.

Don't think I will be there Sat morning this week because the Cholmondeley Run is on, starting at 1300.

KiwiPhoenix
28th April 2010, 21:34
I'll be doing the Cholmondeley run too, see you there!

cruza
30th April 2010, 06:37
Unfortunately boyracers are a fact of life, as they are pushed out of one area they move into another. I havn't seen any evidence of kero or diesel.

They had a good go at evans pass/ summit road intersection the other night, diesel all over the road , that and pushing cars off the summner side on to the road below:shit: ,

Dave-
30th April 2010, 09:13

it's usually only in the dips where the road meets a car park.

given the nature of summit road you shouldnt be in a position to worry about grip should you come across the diesel, common sense tells me to slow down around those points anyway.

Transalper
30th April 2010, 10:24
Yep, something about not out riding your ability to stop in the patch of road that you can actually see.

schrodingers cat
1st May 2010, 14:19
it's usually only in the dips where the road meets a car park.

Excellent observation. Cheers

Yep, something about not out riding your ability to stop in the patch of road that you can actually see.

Not knowing the road that well I get really gun shy of ANY discolouration on the road.
Also, I would far rather keep my eyes up and looking where I'm going than cacking mysellf trying to understand what I'm seeing in front of my wheels
Add a little bit of moisture and anything greasy becomes doubly trechourous.
You don't have to be going fast to shunt you know...

gloplg
1st May 2010, 19:32
Help!!!!!!! I need the help of a computer whiz.

How do we put a link on the "home page" to connect to this thread??????????

Shadows
1st May 2010, 23:43
Help!!!!!!! I need the help of a computer whiz.

How do we put a link on the "home page" to connect to this thread??????????

It's there, under calendar events.

gloplg
5th May 2010, 15:59
It's there, under calendar events.

Yes it is, but that is not what I meant.

The link on the home page takes us to another page which goes nowhere. What I would like to know is if Flip edits the linked page and drags and drops the address of this thread is it going to be usable by others, or is there a better way???????????

neels
5th May 2010, 18:17

The link on the home page takes us to another page which goes nowhere. What I would like to know is if Flip edits the linked page and drags and drops the address of this thread is it going to be usable by others, or is there a better way???????????
You could just subscribe to the thread, then click on settings to see if there are any updates.

Shadows
5th May 2010, 19:35

Now me understand. The below needs to be copied into the event.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/122045-Saturday-Winter-(not-the-WNR)

Flip
5th May 2010, 21:57
Had a committee meeting, OK we went to the pub and had a beer and a few folk thought that 10.00 was too early.

So after another beer we all decided to put it back to meet at 1130 and leave at 1200.

Every body thought this was much better so we had another beer.

gloplg
5th May 2010, 21:57
Now me understand. The below needs to be copied into the event.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/122045-Saturday-Winter-(not-the-WNR)

Ta!!!:2thumbsup:2thumbsup

KiwiPhoenix
5th May 2010, 22:02
Had a committee meeting, OK we went to the pub and had a beer and a few folk thought that 10.00 was too early.

So after another beer we all decided to put it back to meet at 1130 and leave at 1200.

Every body thought this was much better so we had another beer.

It was the beers fault! :rofl:

gloplg
5th May 2010, 22:03
Hi All

Anyway the executive of the "Saturday Ride" met tonight and after long discussions and deep thought, it was decided to set the meet time forward by an hour and a half to 11.30 with the departure time being 12.00. This still gives us the opportunity to go to a cafe or pub for lunch and a chat, which was the origional idea behind the SatRides.

We hope to see you all on Saturday.:scooter::ride:

I think someone said something about Akaroa???????

KiwiPhoenix
5th May 2010, 22:04
Flip beat you to it dear!!

Flip
5th May 2010, 22:08
Better than that, Flip rode home to diamond harbour and beat him too it bear.

And he did it on a 24hp side valve motorcycle-sidecar in winter with an open face helm.

What a man.

KiwiPhoenix
6th May 2010, 10:38

And he did it on a 24hp side valve motorcycle-sidecar in winter with an open face helm.

What a man.

You da man!!!! :rofl:

schrodingers cat
6th May 2010, 18:32
That was some mighty quick decision making. What strength beer was it?

Switch to Bourbon and I reckon you'd have the country fixed before dinner time

McWild
6th May 2010, 18:39

What a man.

God help us all should you ever declare war.

KiwiPhoenix
7th May 2010, 09:27
That was some mighty quick decision making. What strength beer was it?

Switch to Bourbon and I reckon you'd have the country fixed before dinner time

Good god, god help us if they do switch to bourbon, there would be no ride, they'd never leave the pub!! :laugh: They would be too far gone to declare war! :rofl:

Hey wait for me!
7th May 2010, 16:11
How's it peoples! hey any whisper as to where the ride might be tomorrow?

Flip
7th May 2010, 16:30
How's it peoples! hey any whisper as to where the ride might be tomorrow?

Thinking about Akaroa. Note we are meeting at 1130 same place.

gloplg
7th May 2010, 21:21

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.............................. War on McWild..................:rofl::rofl:

gloplg
7th May 2010, 21:23
Thinking about Akaroa. Note we are meeting at 1130 same place.

Yes but only if the weather improves.................. It's pissing down at the moment. Damn and blast!!!!!!!!

KiwiPhoenix
7th May 2010, 21:32
Yes but only if the weather improves.................. It's pissing down at the moment. Damn and blast!!!!!!!!

It is!??? Shows how much I know.... and no I don't need any comments from you!!! :laugh:

schrodingers cat
8th May 2010, 10:11
Dogs walked and fed. Housework done. No rain falling at the mo...

schrodingers cat
8th May 2010, 17:30
Time for a gloat to all those who missed out...
A small but hardy group of 5 met at BK. Light rain falling
Greasy Dyers Pass and through to Wheatsheaf Corner to wait for Flip.
Lacking the optimism of the rest of us he bought the Lotus. It has a Yamaha head and later he took the roof off so I suppose its a honourary motorcycle...
Through to Little River on damp roads. Petra leading at a (for her) sedate pace.
Apoligies from me for additional touring until we found each other at Millers Road.:blink:

The ride up the hill was really foggy but as we popped over the crest suddenly the fog was gone and the most spectacular view was laid out before us. Whilst not sunny, it was light and warm.
On to Akoroa for some chit chat, fish n chips, teas and coffee's then off for home again on some nicely drying roads and very little traffic.

A bloody good way to 'waste' a Saturday

Winter rides - A warm jacket and a bit of optimism and you shall have your reward.

gloplg
8th May 2010, 17:32
Six of us went to Akaroa. Well five really one of our number cheated and came over in his very snazzy Lotus:drool::drool::drool:.

A good time was had by all and thanks to RQ for not going too fast and leaving me too far behind:hug:

helenoftroy
9th May 2010, 05:38
Damm!:crybaby:

Wish I had come

Suffering serious withdraws from not being on a bike for 4 weeks.Hand healing up from my surgery & Im ready to ride again,but the weather put me off

Started the bikes up on Friday,the thumper burst into life and the Ducati fired into noisy,rumbling throbbing sound(makes me smile every time I start the gorgeous beast:love:)

This week im riding again:yes:

Flip
9th May 2010, 10:58

Wish I had come

Suffering serious withdraws from not being on a bike for 4 weeks.Hand healing up from my surgery & Im ready to ride again,but the weather put me off

Started the bikes up on Friday,the thumper burst into life and the Ducati fired into noisy,rumbling throbbing sound(makes me smile every time I start the gorgeous beast:love:)

Well thats good news. Everybody asked after you on Sat and were were wondering how you were getting on.

I'm booked in for almost the same thing 16 June (just after the brass). You were right about Fiona Tims, she seems very competent.

gloplg
9th May 2010, 18:52

Wish I had come

Great HOT Lady. You have been missed!!

We thought there might have been another reason:love::love: for not having seen you?????

It will be good to see you back on a :scooter::scooter:again!!!!

Ok to important things. Where are we off to next SatRide??? Oxford??? Greta Valley???

kerryhare
9th May 2010, 19:05
Looks like a good day. We had a good ride some where around Dunedin on Saturday. I can't be there next sat either, working unfortunately.

Retroqueen
9th May 2010, 22:41
Where are we off to next SatRide??? Oxford??? Greta Valley???

Oxford via ashley gorge???

helenoftroy
10th May 2010, 02:44
Well thats good news. Everybody asked after you on Sat and were were wondering how you were getting on.
I'm booked in for almost the same thing 16 June (just after the brass). You were right about Fiona Tims, she seems very competent.
Yes shes got a great reputation as a skilled upper limb orthopaedic surgeon:yes:

I am waiting for a date for my right hand,any time soon.....

Great HOT Lady. You have been missed!!
We thought there might have been another reason:love::love: for not having seen you?????
It will be good to see you back on a :scooter::scooter:again!!!!
Ok to important things. Where are we off to next SatRide??? Oxford??? Greta Valley???
Lmao

There was :love::love:??

Where? Who? :msn-wink:

Hmmm Oxford sounds good

Lil'M
10th May 2010, 18:24
I havent been out on the bike for weeks, am hanging out!! hopefully make it this saturday. Hope the weather holds out. Be good to catch up with ya'll again things have been busy busy.

gloplg
10th May 2010, 18:58

Sounds like a scheme........... You leading????????

helenoftroy
10th May 2010, 20:55

I havent been out on the bike for weeks, am hanging out!! hopefully make it this saturday. Hope the weather holds out. Be good to catch up with ya'll again things have been busy busy.

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Us Girls mite be out for a cruise!!

:chase:

maxf
12th May 2010, 00:06

Would be nice to do... Could stop and go for a paddle in the river!!

Sorry didn't make last Sat - wasn't feeling brillant and don't really want bronchitis yet again this winter so stayed at home & wreaked havoc in the garage of horrors (the shed isn't tall enough to be comfortable, sorry).

HOT - be nice to see you back on two wheels (won't mention the Alfa) ...

helenoftroy
12th May 2010, 00:42
Would be nice to do... Could stop and go for a paddle in the river!!

Sorry didn't make last Sat - wasn't feeling brillant and don't really want bronchitis yet again this winter so stayed at home & wreaked havoc in the garage of horrors (the shed isn't tall enough to be comfortable, sorry).

HOT - be nice to see you back on two wheels (won't mention the Alfa) ...
Thanks maxf

The 4 wheeled Italian literally has a new motor(& the contents of 1/2 a bank vault thrown at her:sick:)

All good now!

KiwiPhoenix
12th May 2010, 09:31
Thanks maxf

The 4 wheeled Italian literally has a new motor(& the contents of 1/2 a bank vault thrown at her:sick:)

All good now!

You can't pu a price on love! :love:

maxf
12th May 2010, 09:39
Thanks maxf

All good now!

Throw a rev limiter at her too? Usual path for interference engines (you know, "valves interfere with pistons"!) is valve bounce, short of a snapped belt. Lots of the BMW M3/M5 crowd learn that when the mis-shift and nuke an engine, a lowered redline does take the edge of performance but does allow a reaction margin for a whoops like that.

See you tonight?

KiwiPhoenix
12th May 2010, 09:42
Throw a rev limiter at her too? Usual path for interference engines (you know, "valves interfere with pistons"!) is valve bounce, short of a snapped belt. Lots of the BMW M3/M5 crowd learn that when the mis-shift and nuke an engine, a lowered redline does take the edge of performance but does allow a reaction margin for a whoops like that.

See you tonight?

*silently sleeks in and whispers* I'll be there

neels
12th May 2010, 10:08
Still leaving at 12:00?

Heading north on marshlands rd?

If so then I could possibly talk mrs into a ride to oxford for lunch after she finishes work and catch you guys on the way through, if the weather is looking good.

gloplg
12th May 2010, 14:53
Still leaving at 12:00?

Heading north on marshlands rd?

If so then I could possibly talk mrs into a ride to oxford for lunch after she finishes work and catch you guys on the way through, if the weather is looking good.

Yes to time and route. Whereabouts would you like to join up and what time????? Bring Mrs along for sure.

It would be good to see more partners enjoying our outings with us!!!!!!!!

I will possibly lunch at cafe51, because they do non gluten, others may choose the pub.

We will probably come back down the old west coast road, slightly more interesting and less traffic. And less :Police::Police:

gloplg
12th May 2010, 15:00
Thanks maxf

All good now!

Ah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the cost of true:love::love::love::love:

neels
12th May 2010, 15:13
Yes to time and route. Whereabouts would you like to join up and what time????? Bring Mrs along for sure.

It would be good to see more partners enjoying our outings with us!!!!!!!!
Mrs is always keen to come along for the ride, and whatever fun is to be had at the end of it.

Easiest place to catch you would be at the top end of marshlands rd somewhere near the railway line, before you head onto the motorway. If I'm in I'll let you know to keep an eye out for us.

Flip
12th May 2010, 18:36
Up to Cafe 51 for a bit of "art on a plate" hum?

schrodingers cat
13th May 2010, 18:02
Public thanx for the riding tips on Saturday Retroqueen. I've been reinforcing good (better :-) ) technique on my daily commute and it is all flowing better

leopardskin
13th May 2010, 20:26
art on a plate? is that a good food review flip? better than akaroa fish n chips?

gloplg
13th May 2010, 20:28
If I'm in I'll let you know to keep an eye out for us.

Ok sounds good

gloplg
13th May 2010, 20:29
art on a plate? is that a good food review flip? better than akaroa fish n chips?

Why not come along and find out!!!

Jackal
13th May 2010, 21:24
I have the day to myself on Saturday so I am thinking I may come up and join the ride if you city slickers allow us simple country folk to join the party.

neels
13th May 2010, 21:31
As the one eyed "lady of the late afternoon" said to the sailor.
My wife might not be impressed with what you're implying about her character there....

KiwiPhoenix
13th May 2010, 21:32
My wife might not be impressed with what you're implying about her character there....

:rofl:

Poor mrs!!!!

gloplg
14th May 2010, 04:44

Sorry About that. I have edited the post.

neels
14th May 2010, 09:06
Sorry About that. I have edited the post.
No need for a sorry, I was only having you on, it would take a bit more than that to offend her. :laugh:

In fact it's more common for her to be worried in the morning that she might have offended someone the night before :shutup:

bittertwistedcute
14th May 2010, 09:46
LOL A kindred spirit!

No need for a sorry, I was only having you on, it would take a bit more than that to offend her. :laugh:

In fact it's more common for her to be worried in the morning that she might have offended someone the night before :shutup:

maxf
14th May 2010, 10:57
Why not come along and find out!!!

Looks like I've got family visiting for the day, so sadly I'm out... enjoy yourselves, ride safe (remembering the last time I did that loop I had that p*ssed cage driver to deal with!)

schrodingers cat
14th May 2010, 12:19
So made other plans. Have fun peeps

Shadowjack
14th May 2010, 17:46
See y'all on Marshlands Road...somewhere...

gloplg
14th May 2010, 18:38

Looks like I will have to try harder!!!!!!

Retroqueen
15th May 2010, 07:47
Public thanx for the riding tips on Saturday Retroqueen. I've been reinforcing good (better :-) ) technique on my daily commute and it is all flowing better

Thats great to hear and nice when things start flowing well. Sorry you can't make it today. catch you another time. Jackal ...of course the city slickers would love to see you!! I have to go re read the thread and see what shadowjack means about Marshlands rd cause if I don't have to double back I'll be happy.... see you all later this morning
cheers
RQ

Retroqueen
15th May 2010, 07:52
I've had a read..... there is a layby on the cross rd at the end of marshlands rd. I will be waiting there..... its not long before the right hand turn onto the Motorway. Cafe 51 is great..... us girls hang out there occasionally ..... fingers crossed the weather holds. Looks like it will

Jackal
15th May 2010, 09:42
We have a pea souper still in Ashburton. Is it in Christchurch to? Intend leaving here bout 10.30 so hope it has lifted by then!

gloplg
15th May 2010, 09:47
We have a pea souper still in Ashburton. Is it in Christchurch to? Intend leaving here bout 10.30 so hope it has lifted by then!

High broken cloud, sunshine, does not look like rain, but bring wet weather gear just in case. Be good to see you!!

neels
15th May 2010, 10:19
No fog in chch this morning.

Last of the children offloaded, good to go, will go looking for shadowjack and/or RQ on marshlands Rd and see you there sometime after 12

kerryhare
15th May 2010, 10:45
I will be along today

KiwiPhoenix
15th May 2010, 10:50
Enjoy your ride folks!!

I have one of these mornings that I have no-one at home(DF and DD have buggered off) long lie this morning and now going to get my paperwork done! Bliss!!

Retroqueen
15th May 2010, 11:12
No fog in chch this morning.

Last of the children offloaded, good to go, will go looking for shadowjack and/or RQ on marshlands Rd and see you there sometime after 12

Shadow and I will be waiting at 12.10 at the very very end of Marshlands rd. Styx mill corner. You go over the railway line and turn left..... a few metres along that there's a layby not long before the right hand turn onto the motorway....... Hope you get this in time.
cheers
RQ

gloplg
15th May 2010, 16:01
Great turnout today 14 or so bikes, 4 or 5 with pillions.

I enjoyed a very social gathering for lunch, my thanks to all who made it so.

leopardskin
15th May 2010, 17:44
ditto what gloplug said -- ride wasn't bad either!

Flip
15th May 2010, 18:29
Ditto what leopardskin said.

I thought lunch was particually good. Going to add Cafe 51 onto the list to return with the boss.

Mr Triple
15th May 2010, 18:38
Great ride, nice to meet some new folks... would have added pics but they are very similar to Gloplugs :)
Good turn out, long may this mild winter weather last... on Saturdays at least!
See you next time work allows me to make it along :)
Cheers,
Brent.

Transalper
15th May 2010, 19:41
Enjoyed the ride, went cheep at the bakery/take-away shop across the road from Cafe51.
Fella on the XR650, Janet and myself took our bikes down the banks of the Waimak for the trip home. That was great too.

Jackal
15th May 2010, 19:53
It was good to meet a few more KBers. Thanks for the ride and company at lunch. Ride back home through the Rakaia Gorge was great. I can now tick 'the three gorges ride' off my list. Will be up again when time and circumstances allow.

gloplg
15th May 2010, 20:48
Great to see so many people enjoyed themselves today!!!!!!

Ok now where are we going next week??? Greta Valley? Godley House? Twisted Hop after Wets or KPs route?

Many moons ago I went into Lees Valley on my old Norton. The road is unsealed and in parts a little challenging. I was thinking it might be feasable later in spring, before WNRs start again. If anyone is interested??????

Have a good week folks. Hope to see you next Saturday or Wednesday!!!!

JellyBellyKelly
15th May 2010, 21:47
i'm jealous, was very tempted to come - lovely day for it!!!! did get bike out and had it running in driveway with 2 & 3/4 year old sitting on it making awesome racing noises!!!!!

maybe next week if i can get babysitter...... :)

Flip
15th May 2010, 21:50
Great to see so many people enjoyed themselves today!!!!!!

Ok now where are we going next week??? Greta Valley? Godley House? Twisted Hop after Wets or KPs route?

Many moons ago I went into Lees Valley on my old Norton. The road is unsealed and in parts a little challenging. I was thinking it might be feasable later in spring, before WNRs start again. If anyone is interested??????

Have a good week folks. Hope to see you next Saturday or Wednesday!!!!

Can't see me getting the Harley far up a gravel road, belt drive, bling and all. Can I suggest leaving the Greta for good weather, Wet's route for average weather and Diamond Harbour for very average weather. Of course if its shitty weather I might just take the truck in to town and see you at the Hop.

Transalper
15th May 2010, 21:52
Many moons ago I went into Lees Valley on my old Norton. The road is unsealed and in parts a little challenging. I was thinking it might be feasable later in spring, before WNRs start again. If anyone is interested??????...Love that ride, am happy to go in with you one weekend if I'm not busy elsewhere.
Rides arranged for there in the Adventure Forum usually turn out half a dozen people or more.
Unsealed and a little challenging is a good description, several easy fords and one potentially bigger one included.

helenoftroy
15th May 2010, 22:04
Love that ride, am happy to go in with you one weekend if I'm not busy elsewhere.
Rides arranged for there in the Adventure Forum usually turn out half a dozen people or more.
Unsealed and a little challenging is a good description, several easy fords and one potentially bigger one included.

Oh yes! pick me! love Lees Valley too...

Finally collected young Sams(Casualty) replacement XR this morning & he is very keen too

..just got a couple of bits to sort on the BRP and will re-rego it :yes:

Emlyn
15th May 2010, 22:58
Thanks for a great ride today... nice to meet some more people and thanks for making my kids welcome.. it's great to include them aye... wont be long and they will be carting me around instead!!
Be great to catch up with all again soon.
Cheers,
Em

Lil'M
16th May 2010, 09:35
I thought it was meant to be rainy 2 so made other plans.. hopefully plan on it for next weekend! cant wait to get out again. Glad to hear Sams got a new bike sorted HOT!!:yes:

schrodingers cat
16th May 2010, 09:39
Same. Today is what yesterday was supposed to be (according to midweek forecast).
Got myself free of other commitments by early afternoon and went for a blast to try fresh front tyre. Awesome!
Longwheelie had been giving me a few riding tips to try - Cheers
Still - no-one to talk to when I stopped...

Flip
16th May 2010, 09:54
There is no reason why I couldn't do the leada valley in my landrover, is there?

schrodingers cat
16th May 2010, 10:09
There is no reason why I couldn't do the leada valley in my landrover, is there?

Your challenge is to justify your landrover as an honourary motorcycle in less that 50 words...

Flip
16th May 2010, 10:59
Its cool and I can take a load of tools dogs and kids in it. I just can't get the harley to ford rivers.

neels
16th May 2010, 11:29
I can take a load of tools dogs and kids in it.
That sounds like the opposite of a motorcycle. :laugh:

It's a pity my XL isn't road legal, it would be good to get out for a decent off road mission somewhere. That and the fact that it leaks more oil than it burns petrol at the moment, might have to drag it into town one wed nite when the weather's too crap for mountain biking and get some help to de-engine it so I can fix it.

Mr Triple
16th May 2010, 12:47
I would be keen to go through the Lee on the Tiger. If this weather lasts could be worth a look before winter... instead of waiting for spring. River will probably be higher in spring than it will be now :)

Flip
16th May 2010, 13:57
I,m going to go for a ride on the sidecar over Port Leavy to Little River road to see how it goes.

neels
16th May 2010, 15:13
I,m going to go for a ride on the sidecar over Port Leavy to Little River road to see how it goes.
hopefully it's packed down a bit, I went over there a while ago on the XJ when it was freshly graded with about an inch of loose crap on the top. Was interesting.

cruza
16th May 2010, 15:27
What about a pie run too jacksons? ........before the weather gets to cold and gritting starts on the road. or is that a sunday crew ride:Oops:

Flip
16th May 2010, 16:33
There was about half an inch of mud in the top third of the road that was interesting.

It was slow as the bike has bugger all suspension, and 30's technology brakes, but was otherwise fine. Thinking about doing the Haka on the way to the brass in a couple of weels now.

Jacksons has gone to hell since the new owners took it over, it's just not the same now.

gloplg
16th May 2010, 19:21

I take it you mean Lees Valley???????? And I think your Landy would make a good support vehicle!!!!

Flip
16th May 2010, 21:25
Yes I was thinking about Lees Valley.

My old landy has taken a bit of venison from those hills over the years.

It looks like there is a lot of interest in this run. Pick the day and lets do it. Would you like me to bring the BBQ and stuff on the day and do a lunch for everybody somewhere?

Can you get out the top end of the valley back onto the main road?

Transalper
16th May 2010, 22:00
Lees Valley runs from North Loburn through the Okuku Pass through Lees Pass to Oxford or the other way round.
We usually go in through Rangiora to North Loburn where it turns to shingle at Whiterock and exit on the road between Ashley Gorge and Oxford (we passed that end on Saturday) but it can just as easily be done the other direction.

Edit:

distances....
23km Rangiora Mobil Garage to Whiterock.
74km Whiterock through Okuku, Lees to Ashley Gorge Rd.
6km To Oxford.

helenoftroy
17th May 2010, 05:05
I thought it was meant to be rainy 2 so made other plans.. hopefully plan on it for next weekend! cant wait to get out again. Glad to hear Sams got a new bike sorted HOT!!:yes:
Thanks chick!......and this weekend we are racing!
C.A.M.S Saturday & B.E.A.R.S Sunday:scooter:

Sam would love if the Landrover did Lees Valley -fuel carrier for the XR!

Flip
17th May 2010, 09:33
Lees Valley runs from North Loburn through the Okuku Pass through Lees Pass to Oxford or the other way round.
We usually go in through Rangiora to North Loburn where it turns to shingle at Whiterock and exit on the road between Ashley Gorge and Oxford (we passed that end on Saturday) but it can just as easily be done the other direction.

Edit:

distances....
6km To Oxford.

Whats the road like? 4WD track or just a gravel road?

I'm making a jock strap frame so I can carry a 10 litre jerry can on the side of the sidecar right now.

KiwiPhoenix
17th May 2010, 09:49

Now that would be fun, I'll bring the cupcakes if you be the driver?? :laugh:

neels
17th May 2010, 10:36
Whats the road like? 4WD track or just a gravel road?
Pretty much just gravel road all the way through, with a couple of fords along the way, the only big river crossing is on the okuku river at the north end.

I've been through there in the snow with a mate, in bog standard nissan terrano and ford escape no problems at all.

Spuds1234
17th May 2010, 10:55
Im hoping to steal my brothers bike for the afternoon and I'll come along. I'll probably meet you guys at the Goona Mobile station.

kerryhare
17th May 2010, 11:17
I've been through there in the snow with a mate, in bog standard nissan terrano and ford escape no problems at all.

So that means I should be able to bring the pathfinder (when it is fixed) along.

Transalper
17th May 2010, 13:49
Lees Valley Map attached.
The Big ford is 30km from the Whiterock end or 43km from the Ashley Gorge Rd end. The rest are pretty much creek crossings on the Whiterock side of the big one.
The road itself is road, not track but can be quite corrugated in places at times. The only thing I consider to be 4x4 stuff would be the water crossings, the rest I would do in my 2wd Hiace Van unless it was raining.
I go in knowing I may get wet feet on the big one which in a dry week could just as easily be more riverbed than water.
I haven't been in since New Years Eve on the MTB when I went in from Whiterock to the big river and back.
It was well swept then.

cromagnon
17th May 2010, 14:11
I went through there about a month ago, I had to pass the grader on the grass on oxford side of the Big ford on lees valley round so I doubt it has been graded again since then. The Big ford was only about 20cm deep then, compared to the 50-60 cms it was last spring.

Flip
17th May 2010, 14:46
Thanks for all the information. It all sounds fine and very dooable even on a road bike. Well I am in, we better do this trip in fine weather as a few of the bikes won't do a river crossing very well.

I could even fit a couple of bikes in my landrover trailer and get them across this river even in deepish water if need be.

neels
17th May 2010, 15:09
I could even fit a couple of bikes in my landrover trailer and get them across this river even in deepish water if need be.Or trailer a non road legal XL250 back to the starting point so it doesn't attract attention on more public roads?....Maybe?....:whistle:

Flip
17th May 2010, 16:33
Or trailer a non road legal XL250 back to the starting point so it doesn't attract attention on more public roads?....Maybe?....:whistle:

No problem.

brp
17th May 2010, 18:30
Did Lee's Valley couple of weeks ago - From Oxford to the first bridge there are a couple of Real tight corners that if not taken slower enough could result in a very long drop to the bottom of the valley or being taken out by a vehicle coming the other way.

We did it on a Sunday afternoon and came across 1/2 dozen vehicles going the other way on the range, the unimog turned camper took up most of the road. Big drop off's in places coming back the other way. Awesome ride ! :D

Helen - Sam get another cracker deal ?

cruza
17th May 2010, 20:34
Jacksons has gone to hell since the new owners took it over, it's just not the same now.

when did it change? this year in the last few months?:blink:

Man their meals, pies always been really good, Woodstock rally this year , jacksons was a welcome stop on both days, mmmmmm i love there pea pie & pud and lashings of gravy!:love:

gloplg
17th May 2010, 20:37

Edit:

distances....
6km To Oxford.

Thankyou for this information TA.

And to all of you who have contributed information a big thankyou!!!!!:2thumbsup:2thumbsup

OK. As I see it for an old fart like me to do this trip on my old Hoooooonda we need lowish river levels and about 5 to 6 hours for the whole trip. Christchurch to ChCh.

PLEASE......... before you shoot me down I said the time was for an old fart like me!!!! You folk with your off roaders will leave me behind in the dust/mud.

I went in from the oxford end on 3 or 4 occasions and once in a car. I went in for an hour or so and turned around and came back.

I would seriously like to do this trip however the weather is turning to crap!!!!!!!!! We could face highish river levels and mud up to our wherever. I do not want to take on more than I am capable of, nor do I want to see anyone else in trouble!!!!

I think we need to have some thought and discussion with those who have been through there and know the conditions, because this is slightly more challenging than our usual rides!!

At this stage we have pencilled in 29th May. Bear in mind that this trip is weather dependant. All those who want to ride gravel roads on older type bikes are welcome to join us but please remember we will only have limited support. So if your bike might not make it you may have to leave it where it dies.

We have a week or so to firm up our plans before the 29th. Those of you with more useful information please come along to the maintenance evenings and share with Flip and me.

When I origionally posted on Lees Valley I didn't expect this ammount of interest. Thanks to all. Lets do this, all who are interested!!

cruza
17th May 2010, 20:40
Lees Valley Map attached.
The Big ford is 30km from the Whiterock end or 43km from the Ashley Gorge Rd end. The rest are pretty much creek crossings on the Whiterock side of the big one.
The road itself is road, not track but can be quite corrugated in places at times. The only thing I consider to be 4x4 stuff would be the water crossings, the rest I would do in my 2wd Hiace Van unless it was raining.
I go in knowing I may get wet feet on the big one which in a dry week could just as easily be more riverbed than water.
I haven't been in since New Years Eve on the MTB when I went in from Whiterock to the big river and back.
It was well swept then.

Yeah the ford at the white rock end is the only iffy bit. nothing to major most of the time , some awesome straights on the valley floor aye brp , just wind the 650 to the throttle stop!! . ford was a bit bumpy last time we were in there hunting at one of the stations , just wet boots at the worst.

gloplg
17th May 2010, 20:49
Oh yes! pick me! love Lees Valley too...

Finally collected young Sams(Casualty) replacement XR this morning & he is very keen too

..just got a couple of bits to sort on the BRP and will re-rego it :yes:

HOT Lady are you and Sam a starter if the 29th May looks good weather wise??

cruza
17th May 2010, 20:50
Done lees valley heaps of times on the dirt bikes, happy to ride on the throttle stop on the valley floor straights and slide the corners, but not taking my speed triple road bike through. Be happy with loading up my cruiser with other non riders for a bbq and day out.

Think it should be really levelled that this trip is on shingle roads from good to steep rutted, blind corners and creek crossings, stock , cowshit. Maybe a trip first via port levy or similar should be tried first? if taking a road bike?

Transalper
17th May 2010, 21:26
Indeed, if you aren't happy on the Western Valley rd (Little River to Port Levy) then you probably won't like Lees Valley. If you do like the Western Valley then there's nothing stopping you doing the Bossu Rd as well.
Best place for the BBQ might be at the Ashley Gorge area, otherwise there is a little rest area in the Valley a little on the Oxford side of the main river crossing, though I'm not sure if there's much more than a toilet and big grassy area there.

neels
17th May 2010, 21:36
At this stage we have pencilled in 29th May.
Crap, I just got another invite last night for the 29th :angry:

But, if you guys are planning an early start and finished earlyish then I may be able to do both, as long as the offer of transport for the bike from end back to start is good for that date.

Maybe a trip first via port levy or similar should be tried first? if taking a road bike?That's probably very good advice, I've driven but never ridden Lees valley, most of it is pretty good but there are a few scruffy bits to watch out for. Port Levy to Pidgeon Bay or Little River would give you a good idea if it is going to be fun on a road bike. I took the XJ from Port Levy to Pidgeon bay and on the basis of that wouldn't take it through Lees valley, the trail bike however I'm definately keen. :Punk:

cruza
17th May 2010, 21:37
Indeed, if you aren't happy on the Western Valley rd (Little River to Port Levy) then you probably won't like Lees Valley. If you do like the Western Valley then there's nothing stopping you doing the Bossu Rd as well.
Best place for the BBQ might be at the Ashley Gorge area, otherwise there is a little rest area in the Valley a little on the Oxford side of the main river crossing, though I'm not sure if there's much more than a toilet and big grassy area there.

Totally agree .
Yeah that rest area pretty open thru? Maybe ending at ashley gorge end is better option for bbq? get all the riding and riders thru . Maybe plan a coffee and cupcake stop halfway?
then the "ford" is dealt with early in the day, what ya reckon?

maxf
17th May 2010, 21:40
I just can't get the harley to ford rivers.

Strategically placed C4 and a long fuze?

Got the A7 books to look at too if you're along on Weds night...

helenoftroy
17th May 2010, 21:43
Did Lee's Valley couple of weeks ago - From Oxford to the first bridge there are a couple of Real tight corners that if not taken slower enough could result in a very long drop to the bottom of the valley or being taken out by a vehicle coming the other way.

We did it on a Sunday afternoon and came across 1/2 dozen vehicles going the other way on the range, the unimog turned camper took up most of the road. Big drop off's in places coming back the other way. Awesome ride ! :D

Helen - Sam get another cracker deal ?

It is an awesome ride- yes,& I really like that its a loop

The new XR is more battle scared(& was cheaper!) and rego had lapsed so just a few fairly minor bits to sort before its on the road.. but it will be great!:yes:

Sams itching to get out on it!:scooter:

Shadows
17th May 2010, 21:57
With all the rain we've had over the last couple of days I wouldn't like to try taking any decent sized road bike over those hills.

Flip
17th May 2010, 21:59

I took the side car over the western valley rd on Sunday in the rain. Had a neat and muddy trip, its just a bit slow going down the hill as the brakes are 30's technology and a couple of times they got very hot and were loosing the battle with gravity. I have a set of shoes in at Safe R Brakes being redone in modern material, so will see how these go.

I have a porta potty that fits in the back of the landy if anybody thinks they will need it, just let me know.

I really don't have any problems if anybody wants to take a 4wd on this trip. The WNR bunch are a mixture of mostly road riders who may not have access to a trail or small old road bike to do this trip on. I was going to throw in the BBQ, cooker and enough stuff to feed an army. I can also tow an army trailer that will fit 2 bikes in case of a breakdown.

Many years ago we did a trip around the very bottom of the north island all on old road bikes or if we were lucky trail bikes. It was a blast and it resulted in a invite only rally called the lemmings run starting up. It was called the lemmings because it was held on the top of the cliff at the bottom of the North Island.

Flip
17th May 2010, 22:02
Totally agree .
Yeah that rest area pretty open thru? Maybe ending at ashley gorge end is better option for bbq? get all the riding and riders thru . Maybe plan a coffee and cupcake stop halfway?
then the "ford" is dealt with early in the day, what ya reckon?

That was our thinking as well. Tackle the ford first. I can ferry bikes across if necessary in the trailer.

KiwiPhoenix
17th May 2010, 22:07
I'll bring lots of cupcakes in exchange for a seat in the Land Rover!!?? :laugh:

kerryhare
17th May 2010, 22:10
I have a porta potty that fits in the back of the landy if anybody thinks they will need it, just let me know.

That reminds me of my son. He was going on a scout camp and the leader said to him that they had to stop and pick up the porta potty, I just about fell over laughing when they stopped to get it and it was a bucket. He thought it was a full size porta loo.

Flip
17th May 2010, 22:12
I only have space for 3 in the front unless you want to bounce around in the back with ted. (Probably the best place to be)

KiwiPhoenix
17th May 2010, 22:14
I only have space for 3 in the front unless you want to bounce around in the back with ted. (Probably the best place to be)

I'll sit anywhere!! I'll just bring a cushion.

KerryHare: :rofl: at the bucket

gloplg
17th May 2010, 22:17
I'll bring lots of cupcakes in exchange for a seat in the Land Rover!!?? :laugh:

We'll give you a seat on the bonnet

KiwiPhoenix
17th May 2010, 22:23
We'll give you a seat on the bonnet

I don't think I would make a good hood ornament unless of course you want the truck to sink!!! :rofl:

Shadowjack
17th May 2010, 22:39
Lees Valley, eh!? Another adventurous notch on the TDM's belt.

brp
18th May 2010, 09:28
It is an awesome ride- yes,& I really like that its a loop

The new XR is more battle scared(& was cheaper!) and rego had lapsed so just a few fairly minor bits to sort before its on the road.. but it will be great!:yes:

Sams itching to get out on it!:scooter:

Almost half the price :D

cruza
18th May 2010, 11:33
Going to have to give the lees valley adv ride a miss if its going on 29th. Brass monkey following weekend , so few bits to tidy up in town .

Anyway whats happening this weekend?, met site report not the best at the mo, but still a few days off and forecasts change.

Flip
18th May 2010, 17:16
The weather forcast is not brillant at this stage. But how often do they get it right.

Won't pull the pin on the ride until Saturday morning, but if its crappy it's off.

gloplg
18th May 2010, 21:40
The weather forcast is not brillant at this stage. But how often do they get it right.

Won't pull the pin on the ride until Saturday morning, but if its crappy it's off.

As has been said if the weather is crappy the ride is off.

If it is really good we will go somewhere out of town, maybe Greta Valley.

Something less than crappy weather will mean somewhere not too far from town, maybe Godley house or the Wheatshief.

Saturday morning weather will give us a destination.

We will post by 10.00am.

If you want to call me my phone is 366 5593

Booswap
21st May 2010, 10:24
Hey all,
I've posted a clip of what that little camera is like that i have in my helmet. Not bad for $30 i say this was also taken on a cloudy day it looks better on a nice sunny day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC5CefgXtls&feature=youtube_gdata

I just picked it up off ebay. Oh and it does take a while to get shipped mine took about 3 weeks to get here.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mini-DV-DVR-Sports-Video-Camera-Spy-cam-Recorder-ESC2B-/260568746254?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Players_Recorders&hash=item3cab1b890e

schrodingers cat
21st May 2010, 15:49
Thats pretty good! How is it in really sunny conditions? I have a little pinhole 'spycam' I use but it suffers from 'flare' a bit.

PS - You were't surriptiously monitering that innocent police car were you?

Booswap
21st May 2010, 16:19
Yeah i was hoping to catch a police attacking a minority group act and then i would sell it to the news. But i also had to get into uni so ill save that for another day ;P

brp
21st May 2010, 16:34
Cheers for the links, looks good value.

schrodingers cat
21st May 2010, 16:35
Yeah i was hoping to catch a police attacking a minority group act and then i would sell it to the news. But i also had to get into uni so ill save that for another day ;P

Probably count your blessing that he didn't pull a u'y in front of you and set off in hot pursuit.

Took the wife up the western part of the Summit Road. There is a spot where the hang gliders throw themselves off the cliff that has the most incredible view up the harbour and out through the heads.
She was well impressed. Bit cold to linger tho!

gloplg
22nd May 2010, 08:28
Just stuck my head out the door!!!!

Weather looks good for a ride to somewhere.:2thumbsup:2thumbsup

Shadows
22nd May 2010, 09:07
There's a bit of frost about - in fact it's colder now out his way than it was before the sun came up. Watch out in the shady places.

cruza
22nd May 2010, 09:27
There's a bit of frost about - in fact it's colder now out his way than it was before the sun came up. Watch out in the shady places.

Yeah tis bit chilly at mo. but look at that blue sky!!

cruza
22nd May 2010, 10:12
So where to?

gloplg
22nd May 2010, 10:24
So where to?

Great day............................. Greta??????????????

cruza
22nd May 2010, 11:08
Great day............................. Greta??????????????

off for blat round the bays as have to be back by 2pm now

gloplg
22nd May 2010, 14:38
Seven keen motorcyclists went for a ride,
etc, etc
and if one keen motorcyclist gets accidentlly cold,
there'd be six keen motorcyclists going for a ride.

Etc
etc.

Then there were two who went to the Wheatshief. Because the other four went home.

Anyway enough childishness, the ride was good if cool and you can get the picture.........

cruza
22nd May 2010, 15:04
Wasn't too bad, apart from going back home after 2km to get my neck warmer, had a mint blat , really refreshing .
Home by 2 too off load my lastest trademe auction $$$$ which I was just going to take to the dump , $80 towards the brass monkey fund:gob:

KiwiPhoenix
22nd May 2010, 15:22
Good to hear you had a good one! Me, I've spent the last hour trying to work out why my speedo has suddenly developed a case of the shivers! Was riding on Thursday and it started to vibrate, not sure whats going on with it so will have another look after reading the workshop manual.

Spuds1234
22nd May 2010, 15:25
Good to hear you had a good one! Me, I've spent the last hour trying to work out why my speedo has suddenly developed a case of the shivers! Was riding on Thursday and it started to vibrate, not sure whats going on with it so will have another look after reading the workshop manual.

Lube your speedo cable. Should fix it right up.

KiwiPhoenix
22nd May 2010, 15:28
It's not the actual cable but the whole unit, if you know what I mean?? See the maintenance thread for details!

Spuds1234
22nd May 2010, 15:32
It's not the actual cable but the whole unit, if you know what I mean?? See the maintenance thread for details!

I'll mosy on over there now. I assumed that your pseedo needle was bouncing around.

Flip
22nd May 2010, 16:24
Its cold the poor dear.

I just had a hub on the CJ shit itself. Its full of cracks and it looks like somebody has had a go at it with a welder. No spare wheel for a while. My friendly supplier is couriering me over another wheel, bless his sole. Just hoping it turns up before the Brass.

Sorry I piked out today. I'm working on very little sleep and the car was a lot safer today for me.

cruza
22nd May 2010, 17:25
Its cold the poor dear.

I just had a hub on the CJ shit itself. Its full of cracks and it looks like somebody has had a go at it with a welder. No spare wheel for a while. My friendly supplier is couriering me over another wheel, bless his sole. Just hoping it turns up before the Brass.

Sorry I piked out today. I'm working on very little sleep and the car was a lot safer today for me.

brake hub all cracked? what the others like?

Flip
22nd May 2010, 17:30
Others are fine.

cruza
22nd May 2010, 17:57
Others are fine.

thats a bugger , not a lot of meat left in the hub after all the spoke inserts drilled out . Is there still the old guy in chch that does respoking etc? ,. can't think of his name at mo.

Flip
22nd May 2010, 18:19
I can respoke wheels no problemo.

This is what it looked like without the paint.

Kickaha
22nd May 2010, 18:42

I think you better detune it, obviously the huge torque it puts out is causing the problem

cruza
22nd May 2010, 18:51
I think you better detune it, obviously the huge torque it puts out is causing the problem

must have been that port levy road ride he did the other week.........

You going to keep it as a spare and tig weld it?

gloplg
22nd May 2010, 21:02

Poked by spokes:sick::sick::shit::shit:

That will be fun to repair.

Which corner of the combination was it on???

Is this likely to be a common fault???

Flip
22nd May 2010, 23:19
I de-riveted the brake drum off the back of the hub so I could get into both sides and weld it together. Don't know if I will ever trust that hub again, it might do as an emergency spare but I do have doubts about it's structural strength given it has been welded up twice. I am concerned that even if I can weld this up that there are not the beginnings of other circumfrencial cracks in the areas beside the open and easily seen breaks.

Bill who restored the bike and supplied the hub's has said he has already sent another hub in the courier yesterday. I just have to see if it gets here in time for the brass. If not I do have another perfectly serviceable touring bike I can use.

Bill said he had never seen this before.

maxf
22nd May 2010, 23:55
Seven keen motorcyclists went for a ride, etc, etc and if one keen motorcyclist gets accidentlly cold, there'd be six keen motorcyclists going for a ride.

Point taken. Finally sorted it today, after getting to be last again - not that it matters, just gives you time to think - that
a) my idea of speed isn't anyone elses - I'm always slower - and worrying about losing sight of (or searching for) the person in front just makes me dangerous
b) trying to keep up just frustrates & depresses me
c) why I liked riding was the sense of freedom to travel on my terms (didn't get a car licence for almost 10yrs, only when family came along)
d) I miss riding in Wellington, where I had options (Paekok hill road? Haywards? Motorway?) for legitimately doing 80kms a day, and a ride home was unwinding, not stress over losing a group (or my way - continually getting lost is a whole nother matter that don't help either).

... so I'll stick to touring rather than twisties from now on, and maybe explore further afield when I get the mood.

Thanks for the pics, too.

The Shadow
23rd May 2010, 14:28
it was a nice trip - my first time on the Summit Rd.

Maybe more will turn up next week.

brp
24th May 2010, 13:49
Is there still the old guy in chch that does respoking etc? ,. can't think of his name at mo.

Yep he still going strong in Sydenham, did complete respoke on my kx500 front hub for $150 (end of last year) see they selling spoke sets for $120 on tarde me alone :D Anyone know cheapest place to buy spokes ? (just wondering if worth doing myself in future)

Mate and I did Waimak bridge to bridge yesterday, magic having another big single (xr650) right beside most of the way, pie from the Sheffield bakery went down well in the cold :D

gloplg
26th May 2010, 11:32
Lovely weather we're having. Hope you're not too :cold::cold:or wet.

Looks like Lees Valley is off for this weekend! I don't fancy swimming through the Okuku river or battling through the ten foot deep snow drifts either.

So if Saturday is suitable for riding where do we want to :ride::scooter:

neels
26th May 2010, 11:42
Looks like Lees Valley is off for this weekend!
Ya think? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

It'd be more like Lake Lees in there at them moment. If the rain stops it's not a bad trip in the snow though...:cold:

Transalper
26th May 2010, 11:49
lol, yes, the river shows as 200cumec flow at the moment on the ECAN website (http://www.ecan.govt.nz/services/online-services/monitoring/river-flows/pages/river-flow-chart.aspx?SiteNo=66213). I usually do it when it's less than 4.

Spuds1234
26th May 2010, 15:16
Haha it would get quite messy if we went Im sure. Good fun in the mud though. Im assuming theres mud somewhere along the way.

cruza
26th May 2010, 15:26
lol, yes, the river shows as 200cumec flow at the moment on the ECAN website (http://www.ecan.govt.nz/services/online-services/monitoring/river-flows/pages/river-flow-chart.aspx?SiteNo=66213). I usually do it when it's less than 4.

Yeah funny that...... a few rivers up at the moment. Was meant to be going hunting for a few days, but plans buggered up with weather and a normally small creek has washed track out.

robertvi
26th May 2010, 19:36
Maybe more will turn up next week.

I only just found this thread :doh: So may be along this weekend or in future - there I was thinking I would have to wait until summer to join a group ride!

Good fun in the mud though. Im assuming theres mud somewhere along the way.

There's plenty along my drive all of a sudden, nearly came a croppa yesterday! I knew my dirt bike skills were no good the first and only time I rode sidecar on my friends motox bike - the first corner I leaned outwards :D

Flip
26th May 2010, 19:40
I piked out tonight, just got home from work and I am buggered.

Going to bed early. Night all.

(edit) I bet this made no sense. Posted in the wrong topic. Dol.

kerryhare
26th May 2010, 20:15
I wont be along this week :(

KiwiPhoenix
26th May 2010, 21:59
I wont be along this week :(

Understandable chick, rest up and take it easy!

:rofl:

gloplg
27th May 2010, 11:23

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....................

gloplg
28th May 2010, 18:37
Looks like all the SatRiders can have a long lie in this week:sleep::sleep:

JMemonic
28th May 2010, 19:31
Looks like all the SatRiders can have a long lie in this week:sleep::sleep:

Nice for some......

KiwiPhoenix
29th May 2010, 10:46
Nice for some......

Well I do have to say it was great, although next Sat I won't be getting a long lie!

gloplg
29th May 2010, 16:44
Well I do have to say it was great, although next Sat I won't be getting a long lie!

And to all those going to the "Brass" have a good time, travel safely!!!!! Watch out for:sick: and :Police:

KiwiPhoenix
30th May 2010, 16:10
And to all those going to the "Brass" have a good time, travel safely!!!!! Watch out for:sick: and :Police:

Cheers Gloplg! Hopefully the weather will behave itself!

Flip
30th May 2010, 16:20
Are you going down to the brass KP?

KiwiPhoenix
30th May 2010, 20:44
Are you going down to the brass KP?

I am indeed Master Grasshopper. Leaving here on Friday lunchtime (in the cage) staying with a friend overnight and then heading to the Brass on Sat (pillion)

cruza
30th May 2010, 21:20
I am indeed Master Grasshopper. Leaving here on Friday lunchtime (in the cage) staying with a friend overnight and then heading to the Brass on Sat (pillion)

Would that be the same good fellow as the kb rally? :shutup:

KiwiPhoenix
30th May 2010, 21:22
Would that be the same good fellow as the kb rally? :shutup:

Yes it is!

Flip
31st May 2010, 11:33
Well all things going well, and the old bike making it down there I will be camping on the grassy knoll overlooking the lake and the camping site. When you get to the site look for the high ground, thats where I will be. I have only camped there 21 of the last 22 years so see no reason to change.

KiwiPhoenix
31st May 2010, 16:37
Well all things going well, and the old bike making it down there I will be camping on the grassy knoll overlooking the lake and the camping site. When you get to the site look for the high ground, thats where I will be. I have only camped there 21 of the last 22 years so see no reason to change.

Sweet, will keep an eye out for ya!

schrodingers cat
4th June 2010, 19:37
Anyone riding tomorrow? The weather is supposed to be spectacular! If today is anything to go by a tour round the hills or wharever would be nice

neels
4th June 2010, 19:51
Anyone riding tomorrow? The weather is supposed to be spectacular! If today is anything to go by a tour round the hills or wharever would be nice
Could be up for that, will check in tomorrow morning and see if there's anything doing, but if the weather is good then can't see why not.

KiwiPhoenix
4th June 2010, 19:52

There may be a few that will go, the rest of us are heading to the Brass!

schrodingers cat
4th June 2010, 19:58
There may be a few that will go, the rest of us are heading to the Brass!

Figured that!

As i say, if its fine a ride and a coffee somewhere would be a good way to shake off the last couple of weeks gloom

KiwiPhoenix
4th June 2010, 19:59
According to the weather forecast, it's supposed to be like today! Fingers crossed!

robertvi
4th June 2010, 23:30
Pls give us a shout if anyone is doing a ride Saturday :) (11.30am BurgerKing Moorhouse?)

schrodingers cat
5th June 2010, 08:45
8.85 - Still think I'd like to. Obviuosly not as nice a day as yesterday but the wind will dry the roads.
Is it just overcast over ChCh - it looks like it is nice further out (I'm in against the hills)

Ideas for a route?

schrodingers cat
5th June 2010, 09:42
Well its not getting worse and the cloud is breaking up a bit. Little River or Diamond Harbour anyone? (Other ideas welcomed)

KiwiPhoenix
5th June 2010, 09:44
Ride safe guys! Have a great weekend!

robertvi
5th June 2010, 10:07
not much wind here (Spreydon)

robertvi
5th June 2010, 14:07
Great ride today. Sorry I didn't pull over for you in Teddington on the return leg!

Rob

Transalper
5th June 2010, 14:13
Yep, good ride guys. Beaut day for it.
Looked like schrodingers cat just stopped to keep an eye on us, wasn't waving us down or looking stuck or anything and it was the home run so I carried on too.
Cheers
TA.

schrodingers cat
5th June 2010, 14:15
Oh well - just the three of us today but a nice lazy ride to Diamond Harbour on mosty dry empty roads. Some hots drinks and thrash out the woes of the world then home again, home again jiggity jig.
I can see you're champing at the bit to get that restricted out of the way and onto more horsenpowers Rob!

Nice to see gaggles of Scooter riders enjoying the open road too

robertvi
5th June 2010, 14:46
I can see you're champing at the bit to get that restricted out of the way and onto more horsenpowers Rob!

Yes I am a bit! But the GN is a good forgiving bike and reminds me I'm still learning.

schrodingers cat
5th June 2010, 18:49
Yes I am a bit! But the GN is a good forgiving bike and reminds me I'm still learning.

The FZR fairly shouts in my ear that I'll never be as good as it...:2thumbsup

KiwiPhoenix
6th June 2010, 12:52
Glad you had a nice run yesterday! Most of the bikes were down here at the Brass. Good times had by all!

caz83
6th June 2010, 14:53
Oh well - just the three of us today but a nice lazy ride to Diamond Harbour on mosty dry empty roads. Some hots drinks and thrash out the woes of the world then home again, home again jiggity jig.

Nice to see gaggles of Scooter riders enjoying the open road too

I would have come but I was dying with the flu!!! Slowly coming rite now....

gloplg
6th June 2010, 16:13

I can relate to that, on all three things!!!!

Next week???

KiwiPhoenix
6th June 2010, 16:21

Next week???

You are just an old fart though Gloplg! :bleh:

Peeteey
6th June 2010, 19:24

Sheesh, tell me about it! I had no voice for two days and for me, that's saying something ... or not as the case turned out to be. :)

KiwiPhoenix
6th June 2010, 20:17
Sheesh, tell me about it! I had no voice for two days and for me, that's saying something ... or not as the case turned out to be. :)

Man, you set yourself up there for a comment, but since I'm a lady and already dished it out to Gloplg you get a free pass tonight! :rofl:

Flip
6th June 2010, 22:03

Next week???

U got it as well GP?

Its a bugger of a cold.

caz83
7th June 2010, 12:44
Next week???[/QUOTE]

Yup sounds like a plan Stan

caz83
7th June 2010, 12:47

Next week???

Yup sounds like a plan Stan

caz83
7th June 2010, 12:47
ive stuffed this quote thing up again lol

gloplg
7th June 2010, 13:22
You are just an old fart though Gloplg! :bleh:

You be careful there young grasshopper, us older grasshoppers might be emotionally sensitive:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

gloplg
7th June 2010, 13:23
U got it as well GP?

Its a bugger of a cold.

Yes to both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you make it to the brass?????????

McWild
7th June 2010, 13:32
If the weather's good I'll try and make it this Saturday.