PDA

View Full Version : Harley Davidson earnings fall on sluggish sales

NordieBoy
21st April 2010, 09:25
From Stuff this morning...

Harley-Davidson said its first-quarter profit fell 71 percent as sales of its high-end bikes remained sluggish.

Harley-Davidson CEO Keith Wandell said the uncertain economy is likely to make business conditions challenging throughout the year.

Still, the Milwaukee company's results beat analysts' forecasts, sending shares climbing in premarket trading.

The stock gained 93 cents, or 2.8 percent, to US$33.70 ($NZ47.38 ) in electronic trading before the opening bell.

Harley-Davidson reported a profit of US$33.3 million, or 14 cents per share, in the three months ended March 28. That's down from US$117.3 million, or 50 cents per share, during the same period last year.

Excluding losses from discontinued operations, the Milwaukee company made 29 cents per share. Revenue during the quarter fell 19 percent to US$1.04 billion.

Analysts expected a profit of 22 cents per share on US$1.02 billion in revenue. Such estimates typically exclude one-time items.

The company said retail sales of its heavyweight motorcycles fell more than 18 percent worldwide, with sales in the US falling by nearly a quarter. International sales fell a much smaller 2.8 percent.

The company reiterated its previous forecast to ship between 201,000 and 212,000 motorcycles to dealers in 2010, down between 5 and 10 percent from 2009. It plans to ship between 55,000 and 60,000 motorcycles in the second quarter.

The company has been looking to streamline its operations in recent years to deal with falling demand. Last year it announced the shutdown of its Buell sport-bike line and is trying to sell the premium motorcycle unit MV Agusta.

In December, Harley and its union agreed to a new seven-year contract at its main motorcycle assembly plant in York, Pa. Under the new contract, Harley is shutting down one of two factories there and laying off nearly half the unionized work force of about 1,950 employees.

A bright spot was a return to profitability for its captive finance arm, Harley-Davidson Financial Services, which had been losing money the last three quarters. The subsidiary turned an operating profit of US$26.7 million in the first quarter. It attributed the improvement to lower borrowing costs and better credit performance in its portfolio of retail loans.

High end bikes?
I thought they'd already killed Buell?

Big Dave
21st April 2010, 09:36
Buell only accounted for 3% of sales.
High end price-wise.

NordieBoy
21st April 2010, 16:38
Buell only accounted for 3% of sales.
High end price-wise.

We still need a sarcasm smiley...

:D

Big Dave
21st April 2010, 19:25
We still need a sarcasm smiley...

:D

I got it OK - I typed the reply slowly for RM.

NordieBoy
21st April 2010, 20:38
I got it OK - I typed the reply slowly for RM.

I knew you'd get it. Aussie's are born with the sarcasm gene.

Big Dave
21st April 2010, 20:47
I knew you'd get it. Aussie's are born with the sarcasm gene.

Who? Me ? Never!

Motu
21st April 2010, 21:07
CZXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

sORRY ABOUT THAT,the cat just walked acoss my keyboard...looks like she stepped on the caps lock too.

Motu
21st April 2010, 21:07
CZXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

sORRY ABOUT THAT,the cat just walked acoss my keyboard...looks like she stepped on the caps lock too.

NordieBoy
21st April 2010, 21:29
Who? Me ? Never!

I was given the "Sarcasm is one of the services I offer" t-shirt for my birthday.

Big Dave
21st April 2010, 21:52
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ZkWL-XvO0U&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ZkWL-XvO0U&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C-FDW1shmqA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C-FDW1shmqA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>