PDA

View Full Version : Back on the track FINALLY

FROSTY
21st April 2010, 12:36
Its been awhile since I had reason to do one of these things so please bear with me.
Thanks to the Gremlin (Shaun) AMCC,Billy, Kiwi Graham and Millars Car Centre I have a new machine a new team and a renewal of my passion for racing.
I was lucky enough to get invited to the AMCC/ART trackday on 18th of april. and I had an apsolute total ball:Punk::Punk:.
I fronted up at 7.45 expecting a few early risers -But the upper pits had really filled up fast.
I was lucky enough to nab the spot in front of the (closed) tuck shop for the day so I had power for the tyre warmers.
The atmosphere in the pits was apsolutely amazing with everyone clearly buzzing at being on the track. It was fantastic to meet up with some old AMCC freinds and all The KBers who were itchin to be out there on the track .
I thought maybee I'd be in the med group but the team gave me a funny look and made it clear I was in the fasat/race group.
The event was run I must say almost exactly like a race meeting which was great from a safety prospective.
A bit of a scramble to get ready for session one because whilst the slower groups got their extra breifing the fast group had to head on to the track . Fastest Ive ever got my gear ON.
Im on the dummy grid on the bike actually shaking with nerves.Really this was a case of -the bullshit stops now -Can I ride a real bike at speed or not? Despite Shauns words (its only a trackday FFS) I was on a bike I've never ridden, on a track I have a fairly healthy respect for after 3 years of not racing.
Well I must say during session one I reckon that was a resounding NO. Coming to grips with just how good everything on the gsxr600 really is was a heck of a wake up call There was not one newbee error I diddn't make in the first 5 laps. I braked into Jennian (T1) I stuffed up the chicane and the hill--Ahh ya get the picture. I was riding so badly A lines bike wanted me to follow him for awhile and I couldn';t even do that.
I took my own advice and slowed down and just rode the bike like I was on a country road -things started to flow but even then virtually everybody passed me. I even got passed by a track virgin on an old SV650. :mellow:
The second session rolled around suprisingly fast actually and I decided to let everyone else go have fun and entered the track dead set last. Well bugger me I'm now not the slowest guy out here . I caught up with a guy on a gsx1100 posty bike and followed him for about 4 laps His lines are different from a 600 but he HAD lines and braking points which I at that point diddn't. I got him out of the hairpin and using basicly his lines managed to get into a groove. I was having a great ol time till session end.
The rest of the day things just got better and better for me finding lines and thanks to some points from my lil Ginga pit man/manager for the day my riding improved by leaps and bounds.
A lil point here if you EVER get a chance to get someone like Shaun to watch you ride-- take it.
During the day his feedback was fantastic and he made 2 suggestions which (believe it or not) I was able to act on and at end of day he made another comment which confirmed another area to work on. He also noticed small suspension issues that I couldn't qualify by feel.
ANYWAY--Last session of the day-a short extra session and Kawarider and I decided we would have a little battle. Nothing serious but just giving it a little push.
We were suprisingly evenly matched so it turnbed into a bit of a ding dong battle.Turning into Jennian (t1) Im still a bit tentative so he would pull back 75 odd meters on me.But then the second half of the esses and through castrol I''d pull that back. I get better drive out of castrol pulling 150 m on him but He got most of that back because he brakes later at the hairpin. Again Im on the gas harder though out of the hairpin. Up over ford "hill we're pretty even matched.
This went on for about 7 laps till we caught up with a slightly slower guy on a ducati monster. I'd seen the guys lines and planned to take him heading up over Ford hill . Kawarider had other ideas and swept in under both of us just as I was about to make my move. The Duck rider then closed the gap I was planning on taking. Next lap and the flag was out so he beat me to the post.
It was a fantastic way to end a fantastic day.
The plan from here well --My oldest boy wants to team up with me and get racing--who am I to argue?. He will be on Billys season winning KR150 and I'll be on my GSXR600 (possibly gsxr450).
I'll be doing a fair few trackdays to get some sort of track fitness and learn how to ride a 600 sort of propperly before we enter our first meeting later this year.
Again thanks EVERYONE who made sunday such a fantastic introduction back into this crazy addiction we call racing.
As an end note if EVER thinking you need to improve your riding skills then I must say I have revised my opinion of Pukie as a venue. The format the ART guys n gals have arrived at works really well.The track was made a tonne safer than any backroad you are likely to encounter and because you get back to "that" niggly corner every couple of minutes you can practice till you get it right. Better still If you don't theres plemnty of people happy to tell you and better still show you where you might need to work on stuff.
My new motto on this is --LESS TALKING MORE RIDING
Hopefully I'll see yall out there soon

Quasievil
21st April 2010, 12:41
Good One frosty !!
Be good to see you out there again mate

Edbear
21st April 2010, 12:53
And no chicken-strips eilther... :innocent:

FROSTY
21st April 2010, 13:07
And no chicken-strips eilther... :innocent:
Now that was a suprise actually--I had cooked the right hand side of the tyre good n propper yet the scraper spent sod all time on the ground.

Edbear
21st April 2010, 13:14
Now that was a suprise actually--I had cooked the right hand side of the tyre good n propper yet the scraper spent sod all time on the ground.

Must be doin' it about right, then.

Kiwi Graham
21st April 2010, 13:17
Good to see you out there mate and good to see the mojo juices flowing again.
Listen to the Ginger Warrior and others around you mate...........enjoy.

riffer
21st April 2010, 13:38
Must be doin' it about right, then.

Depends on what state his kneepads are I reckon.

Good to see you're back on the horse my friend.

FROSTY
21st April 2010, 13:59
actually your on the money there mate--clipped a "ripple" strip with my scraper early on and it stung for a lap or two (who calls those a ripple more like sharkstooth)

Shaun
21st April 2010, 14:39
To QUOTE you

"My new motto on this is --LESS TALKING MORE RIDING "

Ha Ha Ha, perhaps you have forgotten you are a car sales sales man

onearmedbandit
21st April 2010, 14:53
Great read Frosty.

codgyoleracer
21st April 2010, 14:57
A westie bike all dressed in black .......... Told ya 600's were idiot proof Frosty.

FROSTY
21st April 2010, 15:16
To QUOTE you

"My new motto on this is --LESS TALKING MORE RIDING "

Ha Ha Ha, perhaps you have forgotten you are a car sales sales man
Yea yea I know but I gotta pay for this addiction some how.
Actually despite your comment early on-You'll be F$##$# by end of day. I felt and feel bloody great--Probably something in those water bottles

Maha
21st April 2010, 15:53
You need some Pink on there somewhere Tony......:Punk:
Just a dab maybe? :shifty:

riffer
21st April 2010, 15:56
actually your on the money there mate--clipped a "ripple" strip with my scraper early on and it stung for a lap or two (who calls those a ripple more like sharkstooth)

LOLs - you always did like to hand off the edge of the bike like a monkey. You need a bit of ballast around the middle like me - that way you don't have to do the Pedrosa thing on every corner... ;)

Al
21st April 2010, 16:09
Well done Tony!
We are back in Auckland at the end of July - going to be based in Henderson, so will catch up then!

FROSTY
21st April 2010, 17:14
sounds good dude

FROSTY
21st April 2010, 17:49
You need some Pink on there somewhere Tony......:Punk:
Just a dab maybe? :shifty:
NO WAY--Im never going down that track again

FROSTY
22nd April 2010, 07:51
Just to be clear in case anybody missed it. Do I feel ANYBODY should do one of these days. HECK YEA.
For racers its good for shits n giggles and lots of track room.
For everybody else the very nature of Pukie as a track is a lot closer to the road than any other track I've ridden on.
A mid corner bump or some mud on the surface happens there and you are able to deal with it in an enviroment so much safer than the "real" world and with helpers able to show you how you could deal with it all better.

Jacko2
22nd April 2010, 16:30
Just to be clear in case anybody missed it. Do I feel ANYBODY should do one of these days. HECK YEA.
For racers its good for shits n giggles and lots of track room.
For everybody else the very nature of Pukie as a track is a lot closer to the road than any other track I've ridden on.
A mid corner bump or some mud on the surface happens there and you are able to deal with it in an enviroment so much safer than the "real" world and with helpers able to show you how you could deal with it all better.

+1 Frosty,
closer to real world road conditions, hence ideal skills practise and xfer.
Plus ya get to hoon, yeaaaaaaah

SPman
22nd April 2010, 16:46
Ha Ha Ha, perhaps you have forgotten you are a car sales sales man that's rich....coming from an ex bike salesman....:whistle:

FROSTY
22nd April 2010, 17:41
that's rich....coming from an ex bike salesman....:whistle:
LOL yea I thought that

Cleve
22nd April 2010, 19:34
Geez Tony - you almost make me want to get back on a bike around Puke!!

FROSTY
13th May 2010, 09:13
After a bit of feedback Hope ya don't mind if I make myself clear here. As a RACETRACK in my opinion pukie leaves a bit to be desired. But for rider training its fantastic.
The very thing racers (quite rightly) dislike is the stuff a road rider is likely to encounter on a daily basis.

codgyoleracer
13th May 2010, 09:19
After a bit of feedback Hope ya don't mind if I make myself clear here. As a RACETRACK in my opinion pukie leaves a bit to be desired. But for rider training its fantastic.
The very thing racers (quite rightly) dislike is the stuff a road rider is likely to encounter on a daily basis.

The layout of Pukekohe is one of the best in the country , and for me it is a close second (next to levels of Timaru) as the most challenging and interesting and fun places to race on. Obviously the only concession is that it requires a large amount of resurfacing and a D8 bulldozer is needed to create the run off space required when coming into and over the hill.