PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Old Motocross, Koputaroa, Levin 24 April 2010

Beemer
21st April 2010, 16:17
The Johnny Old Motocross Vintage Motocross Meeting
Kukutauaki Road, Koputaroa, LEVIN
Saturday 24 April 2010

Yes, that's right.....The Johnny Old Motocross is going to run at the same property it was held in the 70s and 80s with thanks to Mrs Flora Old and Peter Bartholomew. This event is going to be huge with the local Vintage Machinery Club supplying the machinery to help with the track, Neil Richie as commentator and the Koputaroa School doing the food stall.

The track itself will be a remake of the original as much as possible.

Entries closed April 9 and I've heard there are about 120 riders and even more bikes entered. Classes are:
MX & Enduro Classes
MX Pre 75 125cc (Up to 126cc 2-stroke, Up to 249cc 4-stroke)
MX Pre 75 250cc (126-250cc 2-stroke, 250-400cc 4-stroke)
MX Pre 75 Open (over 250cc 2-stroke, over 400cc 4-stroke)
MX Twinshock 125cc (Up to 125cc 2-stroke, Up to 150cc 4-stroke)
MX Twinshock 250cc (126-250cc 2-stroke, 250-400cc 4-stroke)
MX Twinshock Open (over 250cc 2-stroke, over 400cc 4-stroke)
MX Sgl Shock 125cc (Up to 125cc 2-stroke, Up to 150cc 4-stroke)
MX Sgl Shock 250cc (126-250cc 2-stroke, 250-400cc 4-stroke)
MX Sgl Shock Open (over 250cc 2-stroke, over 400cc 4-stroke)
Enduro Class (trail or enduro based bikes ONLY)

There will be NO DOGS ALLOWED on the property at all...no matter what size, breed, colour or how many legs they might have!!!! Bring dog -no entry- you have been told!

Not sure what time it starts but here are the contact details for the organisers -
Organisers: Jo & Owen Kirk Phone/fax : 06 368 8312,
Owen : 021 949 821, Jo: 027 242 5342
Email: jo.owen@xtra.co.nz

Crasherfromwayback
21st April 2010, 16:48
I'm taking the day off to go and have a gander...pity my new 4 hundy ain't here yet though!

eelracing
21st April 2010, 23:10
I'm taking the day off to go and have a gander...pity my new 4 hundy ain't here yet though!

Good things come to those who wait eh.

All going well I should be picking up a spanking RM 370 at Johnny Olds this weekend...have been waiting ages to get me hands on one of these.

oldguy
22nd April 2010, 06:49
that is one sweet looking ride:niceone:

Crasherfromwayback
22nd April 2010, 07:56
Good things come to those who wait eh.

All going well I should be picking up a spanking RM 370 at Johnny Olds this weekend...have been waiting ages to get me hands on one of these.

Mate...if it falls through...I can get you a basically brand new 370 for around 7k. Let me know if you'd like some pictures of it

Crasherfromwayback
22nd April 2010, 08:19
that is one sweet looking ride:niceone:

Got a spare one coming if you'd like to own one! The one pictured has been ridden around 6 times from new and has never had a spanner on it. 100% original and unmolested.

The other one I have coming is a ground up restoration that'll look better than new. I'll sell one of them for around 7k.

Beemer
22nd April 2010, 09:47

You might just see me and the other half there as we live a stone's throw away! May even offer you a cuppa if you behave yourself!

Crasherfromwayback
22nd April 2010, 10:13
You might just see me and the other half there as we live a stone's throw away! May even offer you a cuppa if you behave yourself!

I'll be taking a chilly bin full of ice cold Steinlarger!

Beemer
22nd April 2010, 13:11
Be careful, a cop lives nearby... and she has very little sense of humour!

Crasherfromwayback
22nd April 2010, 13:23
Be careful, a cop lives nearby... and she has very little sense of humour!

Pah...I'll not be driving!

Beemer
22nd April 2010, 14:28
You won't have to worry then! We can walk home across the paddocks so we'll be sweet too!

MSTRS
22nd April 2010, 14:57
I went to one of the original meets in the late 70s. Will they still be using the hell drop-off?

Crasherfromwayback
22nd April 2010, 15:06
Romour has it they'll be using the same track they did back then!

Beemer
22nd April 2010, 15:09
If the hell drop-off is the almost vertical drop off the top of the hill that runs down to the road, then yes! They started making a track there a few weeks ago and every day we go past there is something else that's been done.

camchain
22nd April 2010, 20:50
Fooh Crasher - that's a bike fit for a garage queen. Surely it's furniture & too good to get dirty? What's the story with the side stand?

eelracing
22nd April 2010, 20:51
Mate...if it falls through...I can get you a basically brand new 370 for around 7k. Let me know if you'd like some pictures of it

Deals already done & dusted brother...it's travelling down tomorrow and i'm wetting myself with anticipation (Suzuki twin shocks can do that to dodgy bladders).

Any pic's are appreciated and the one on the other thread is a damn fine example.

Crasherfromwayback
22nd April 2010, 21:45
The one on the other thread is the one I have avail to me! Hope you love your new one mate. I reckon the 370's are well cool. I had a 400C as a kid, but it was always the 400N I lusted after. Never (obviously) got over it/them!

Might bump into you on Saturday.

Pete

Crasherfromwayback
22nd April 2010, 21:51
Any pic's are appreciated and the one on the other thread is a damn fine example.

How's this then? If you love twin shock Suzukis...this'll make you pee yaself big time!

Crasherfromwayback
22nd April 2010, 21:55
Fooh Crasher - that's a bike fit for a garage queen. Surely it's furniture & too good to get dirty? What's the story with the side stand?

Well...I'm definately gonna sell one of the 400's...just not sure which one. Maybe the unmolested one is worth more than the resto I have coming. See what happens when the CR gets here. If I get enough for that...I'll probably keep both of the 400's. One to race and one to use as a bar stool! The side stand?? Great!! Most of them have had them long lost!!

MSTRS
23rd April 2010, 09:04
If the hell drop-off is the almost vertical drop off the top of the hill that runs down to the road, then yes! They started making a track there a few weeks ago and every day we go past there is something else that's been done.

Prolly. You came out of the pines, and ...fuck, where did the ground go?...splat onto the flat, with spectator vehicles parked over to the left. As I remember it, anyway.

Beemer
23rd April 2010, 11:05
Pines are long gone - check out Google Earth to see the terrain today. Be interesting to see how it goes tomorrow, fingers crossed the rain will hold off.

The course is being marked out as we speak, and free parking signs put up so people know where to go. Hope they've got enough parking sorted out, this road is narrow and there are culverts on both sides so no option to park on the road!

eelracing
23rd April 2010, 17:55
The one on the other thread is the one I have avail to me! Hope you love your new one mate. I reckon the 370's are well cool. I had a 400C as a kid, but it was always the 400N I lusted after. Never (obviously) got over it/them!

Might bump into you on Saturday.

Pete

As a kid all I had was a Raleigh Chopper! I'm now reliving my second childhood.

Keep an eye out on Saturday for a 400N #3 being ridden by a good b'stid by the name of Mike...it is immaculate.
I'm in the process of trying to find an ignition fault on a 125T which is giving me jip no end.Some things Suzuki never change.

Come and say gday in the pits i'll be riding an 83 Rm125 #34.

Hopefully might be able to sneak out on the 370:shifty:

eelracing
23rd April 2010, 18:08
How's this then? If you love twin shock Suzukis...this'll make you pee yaself big time!

Looks like my shed bud...nah.

Still in there plastics too,thats impressive/obsessive,lucky lucky bastard.

Crasherfromwayback
23rd April 2010, 20:45
Come and say gday in the pits i'll be riding an 83 Rm125 #34.

Good mate of mine had one of those in the day...was a good bike. My first brand new moto-x bike was an 84 KX125. I was more often than not the only green bike on the starting line back then...and it flat smoked everything else out there for HP. Normally pull 2-3 bike lengths on the other colours by turn one.

I'm looking forward to the meeting. Hope it goes well for you.

Pete

Beemer
24th April 2010, 17:23
Excellent day, caught up with Mark but not Pete. Here are some shots of rider number 34 - let me know if you want them in higher resolution and I can email them to you.

Beemer
24th April 2010, 17:29
And here are the other three - it must only allow six per post.

Crasherfromwayback
24th April 2010, 17:43
Excellent day, caught up with Mark but not Pete.

I was there! See...

oldguy
24th April 2010, 18:41
Awesome pics cheers for sharing, I must be gay, I love that Honda mate.

Crasherfromwayback
24th April 2010, 18:45
Well you just know I've got one coming you can own!

Beemer
24th April 2010, 19:10
So you were - didn't spot you!

If anyone is keen on any photos, let me know what race number and bike you were on and I'll see what I've got. I was there most of the day and got photos of most riders. I'll post some more tomorrow - I took just on 400 photos so am off to relax in a hot bath now!

eelracing
25th April 2010, 22:00
Great to meet ya Beemer and love the pic's. I gotta admit the weather was looking rather dodgy when rolling into the pits but as the sun came out and the track got grippier you just could'nt ask for a better day.Fair shat myself when first rolling over the dropoff in practice tho.

Got to love those natural terrain tracks to eh?

Anyway a good mate took some piccies and posted them up on an Aussie website (just to rub in the fact that we Kiwis have the best offroading conditions in the world).

Heres a linky

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?PHPSESSID=09681568f7bf8abbaa74bc23786b22 61&topic=12828.0

Beemer
25th April 2010, 22:10
Yes, the forecast was pretty shitty so we weren't expecting much. Typical Koputaroa weather - wet everywhere else but fine here! Not many motorcrosses where you can walk home for lunch, that's for sure!

Your mate took some awesome photos - I was hoping to post more today but am still processing them as Facebook spat the dummy and kept giving me the failure message.

Shorty_925
26th April 2010, 11:47
Looked like a great day and an awesome track. I take it Murray won the 500cc class? Need to get myself a vmx!

Fryin Finn
27th April 2010, 07:24
The Pic is of John Peters at the top of the hill - There was a loud roar from the crowd then silence and John didn't come round again. Rumor has it he completed the loop out of sight of my camera.
It was a very enjoyable day - took me straight back to 1980. The smell and the sound from those big two strokers was very intoxicating.

Crasherfromwayback
27th April 2010, 08:45
He's on his way to the big loop out in your picture! JP was always a crasher!

Crasherfromwayback
27th April 2010, 08:49
Looked like a great day and an awesome track. I take it Murray won the 500cc class? Need to get myself a vmx!

Well I've got a totally mint RM400N coming if you want one!

clmintie
27th April 2010, 11:42
Took this at Mr M/Cs maize scramble on Sunday.... Ahhh the memories.....

Fryin Finn
27th April 2010, 15:32
I remember when JP was just a kid and used to come and watch us race around a practice MX track, on our CR125's, where the old tip was. Then he bought one himself and before you know it he was kicking our arses - bloody cheek

Shorty_925
27th April 2010, 18:53
Well I've got a totally mint RM400N coming if you want one!

Sounds great but gota save a few more pennies first.

Crasherfromwayback
27th April 2010, 19:03
Sounds great but gota save a few more pennies first.

Hell no mate...I'll do you some really good finance!

eelracing
27th April 2010, 23:04

Murray took out the Legend's race but everyone had to just stand back and watch Luke Burkhart do what he does best in the Open & 250 classes.

Check out the difference in speed and air time he was getting on the field over the dropoff...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N2fRiJR3ml8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N2fRiJR3ml8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

eelracing
27th April 2010, 23:12
Took this at Mr M/Cs maize scramble on Sunday.... Ahhh the memories.....

Ahahaaha see that's what happens when ya chuck shiney new pipes on a big 2smoker.

You'd be safer trying to bathe a cat in a bath.

Beemer
28th April 2010, 11:03
And finally a few more photos...

Beemer
28th April 2010, 11:09
And a few more...

Damn, I had them in order but they haven't stayed in order - the last shot was taken on the corner before the pile-up in shot two, and the one of Luke flying down the hill was taken before shot one of him coming around the corner!

Crasherfromwayback
28th April 2010, 11:18
Great pics Beemer!

suzuki43
29th April 2010, 16:13
Gday Guys,
Great thread I was there on number 59 with my brother on number 50 I also had a turn on my mate maccas YZ250J number 69 in the second race (Pre 86 250 single shock) I would love to see any photos you might have.
PS I am the dude who transported Eels new 370 down from Jaffa land.
Cheers
Craig
PS what a race eh!, VMX Nirvana!

Beemer
29th April 2010, 23:32
I obviously didn't get EVERYONE - but here are a few shots of a couple of the numbers you mentioned! Unfortunately there were two bikes with the number 50, so hopefully these are of your brother!

suzuki43
30th April 2010, 07:10
Hi Beemer,thanks thats actulaly my mate who loaned me the bike for my brother he rode in two classes the other number 50 bike was a KX250 Kawasaki.Cheers anyway mate!

Beemer
30th April 2010, 10:39
It's funny, you are sure you have snapped everyone but there's always a few bikes you miss - sorry!

samlyle
30th April 2010, 10:55
any pics of Husky number 90?.I am the guy that crashed bad andspent the day in Palmy hospital(made it to the prizegiving tho ..didnt even win a spot prize!!!!!
Hey Beemer..are you the lady who took a pic of me lounging with my shirt off and my big fat gut on display after practice(and before I looped it at the top of the hill)?
If so , would love to see that pic..I was stuffed man , gotta get fit(one day)

Beemer
3rd May 2010, 11:48
any pics of Husky number 90?.I am the guy that crashed bad andspent the day in Palmy hospital(made it to the prizegiving tho ..didnt even win a spot prize!!!!!
Hey Beemer..are you the lady who took a pic of me lounging with my shirt off and my big fat gut on display after practice(and before I looped it at the top of the hill)?
If so , would love to see that pic..I was stuffed man , gotta get fit(one day)

Definitely not! I had my husband with me, lol! Sorry, wasn't me though!

We hadn't realised anyone had crashed, sorry to hear about that - did you get a helicopter ride?

You must have crashed before I managed to get more than the two shots in post #44 - the second and last photos in that post.

samlyle
7th May 2010, 23:49
Thanks Beemer , guess I needed to do more than 6 laps for you to get some decent shots of me.The helicopter guys offered to take me to A&E but the ambulance guy turned them down!!I pleaded with him , but by then the morphine i.v. was making my speech pretty slurred .No permanent damage , and a new-found(and deeply profound) respect for the powerband of an open-class 2 stroke.