PDA

View Full Version : GPS speed cameras tested

Bob
22nd April 2010, 23:36
Speed cameras that use GPS and number plate recognition have undergone testing in two sites in England. The SpeedSpike system captures the above information and then calculates an average speed over a distance.

The two sites where testing was undertaken were Southwark in south London and the A374 in Cornwall.

News of the testing came to light in evidence to the House of Commons Transport select committee by system designers PIPS Technology, the same company that designed the technology used for the London Congestion Charge Zone.

p.dath
23rd April 2010, 07:16
I believe the new speed cameras that have started being purchased (in NZ) at the end of last year are also capable of this ...

CookMySock
23rd April 2010, 09:59
Can't see the point, except on motorway where everyone is already travelling at 110k. Bikes can maintain a very high average-to-maximum speed ratio as the opportunities to pass are readily taken advantage of, and it's not against the law to hold a constant 98km/hr.

Steve

Bob
23rd April 2010, 20:33
Can't see the point, except on motorway where everyone is already travelling at 110k. Bikes can maintain a very high average-to-maximum speed ratio as the opportunities to pass are readily taken advantage of, and it's not against the law to hold a constant 98km/hr.

Steve

What it does, is to take your position and time (plus speed being travelled) at point A, then the next camera takes your position and time (and speed being travelled) at point B. Then it works out the average speed, based on the time taken at each point.

So, if you were recorded as going faster than the legal limit at either camera, you get done. If the time it took you to get from point A to point B means you had to go faster than the legal limit, you get done. Double-edged sword, see?

My father-in-law has a couple of average speed cameras where he lives. So, if he thinks he sped up, he finds somewhere to pull over for about 30 seconds, as it will drag his average back down!

whowhatwhere
23rd April 2010, 23:25
The two sites where testing was undertaken were Southwark in south London and the A374 in Cornwall.

Shite, really? I commute through there daily. Myself and many others hoof it through there. There's three normal speed cameras on the way into central London, but they're all very visible and easy to spot.

george formby
24th April 2010, 10:28
This has been up before. I reckon apart from motorways our speed fluctuates to much for the cameras to be more effective than normal ones. Their is no way I can sit at 100k on any road round here, even SH 1, too much traffic travelling at 80kmh. By the time I have followed waiting for a safe overtaking opportunity exceeding the speed limit to get past would be irrelevant. Could be a pain for those who habitually sit on the wrong side of the law though

Bob
24th April 2010, 19:22
Shite, really? I commute through there daily. Myself and many others hoof it through there. There's three normal speed cameras on the way into central London, but they're all very visible and easy to spot.

Just did a bit more checking - the site was Salter Road. Hope this helps.

The Pastor
24th April 2010, 19:49
are they like 10km apart of 100m apart?

Hotchefnz
24th April 2010, 23:32
they have these in New South wales designed for trucks - effective

dpex
28th June 2010, 18:48
You think we have it tough!? The bloody Ozzie cops now have speed cameras hidden in cats-eyes!!!! They have hem set to take rear photos so bikes get tagged as well. And you'd think the Ozzie gov get enough revenue from selling uranium. Bastards!