PDA

View Full Version : ACC privatisation - anyone seen this?

Fatt Max
23rd April 2010, 17:55
Apologies if this is a repost but I just found this in the Herald website.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10640376

YAHOO.com are doing a poll on wether ACC should be privatised, so far 51% of votes ara against privatisation.....interesting statistic.....we got a lot of work to do by the looks of it

duckonin
23rd April 2010, 18:26
ACC are killing targets (claimants) big time the courts are full,and the backlog is long, the way it is going it would pay to have your own insurance, then sue the shit out of the prick that hits or causes your accident..

riffer
23rd April 2010, 18:30
Except you won't get the right to sue. This is exactly why we went back to Parliament. Unfortunately New Zealand is a nation of 4 million sheep and a few woolly animals, so it will probably happen.

Hope y'all enjoy your American Style Health System. Watch "Sicko" if you want to know how it's going to end up.

Mom
23rd April 2010, 18:39
Apologies if this is a repost but I just found this in the Herald website.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10640376

YAHOO.com are doing a poll on wether ACC should be privatised, so far 51% of votes ara against privatisation.....interesting statistic.....we got a lot of work to do by the looks of it

My speech is taking shape really well around this and a few other issues :yes:

The government are calling this "opening up the working account" and it has come about because of a deal that they did with ACT to get the support they needed to pass the changes to legislation through parliament.

Rcktfsh
23rd April 2010, 18:42
The interview referred to is available here

http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/ninetonoon/

about halfway down the page under "feature guest ross wilson"

Fatt Max
23rd April 2010, 18:47
My speech is taking shape really well around this and a few other issues :yes:

The government are calling this "opening up the working account" and it has come about because of a deal that they did with ACT to get the support they needed to pass the changes to legislation through parliament.

Yeah mate, it's a right old stinker.....

Seriously looking forward to this speech mate

Mom
23rd April 2010, 18:53
Yeah mate, it's a right old stinker.....

Seriously looking forward to this speech mate

No pressure eh?

rainman
23rd April 2010, 19:48

This just in... 49% of NZers are idiots.

rainman
23rd April 2010, 21:56
This chap over at The Standard says it better than I could.

http://www.thestandard.org.nz/rnz-reveals-acc-privatisation-agenda/#comment-207438

Motu
23rd April 2010, 22:02
We knew this was National's policy before the election,it was just a matter of time.

oldrider
23rd April 2010, 22:20
We knew this was National's policy before the election,it was just a matter of time.

I don't have a problem with their policy to privatise or open ACC to competition but I dislike their sleazy dishonest way of going about it!

I also don't see anything wrong with the original "Woodhouse" concept of a welfare system, if the government of the day would keep their noses out of it!:brick:

Motu
23rd April 2010, 22:32
I dislike their sleazy dishonest way of going about it!

We knew this before the election too when John Key kept shutting down his policy spokesmen on certain subjects (ACC,registation costs,nuclear policy etc),but we knew those plans were still there...they were just going to sneak them in.Keeping his mouth shut has worked for Key on the nuclear stance,now he looks smart on that one.

spacemonkey
23rd April 2010, 22:56
Yep the wankers are moving onto the next step....
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/3617156/Minister-considering-ACC-privatisation-report

Mom
23rd April 2010, 22:58
This was on the cards even when Labour were in government. The difference is that while National are shifting the emphasis to the victims to pay more, Labour look at things in a little bit more of a fairer way. Make no bones about it though, this is not a National Policy, this is a government thing, they want more returns for less costs. ACC was always going to move towards a fully funded model, much as Phil Goff would like to say it was not Labour policy , it's just our National government are far more aggressive in the application of the model.

Laxi
23rd April 2010, 23:09
in 4 weeks time I wont have the choice between privatisation and public compensation (moving to aus) but i'll be back in november cause I still believe in the ACC system, the way it was meant to be

Brian d marge
24th April 2010, 04:12
This was on the cards even when Labour were in government. The difference is that while National are shifting the emphasis to the victims to pay more, Labour look at things in a little bit more of a fairer way. Make no bones about it though, this is not a National Policy, this is a government thing, they want more returns for less costs. ACC was always going to move towards a fully funded model, much as Phil Goff would like to say it was not Labour policy , it's just our National government are far more aggressive in the application of the model.

Well we did borrow money and recommendation have been given to us in order to keep our rating and hence the cost of borrowing more

you should see the do do Greece has got itself in

Stephen

spacemonkey
2nd May 2010, 20:33
I'm just soooo looking forward to THIS (http://www.greenchange.org/article.php?id=5764) And this too (http://www.greenchange.org/article.php?id=5721) carry on in our collective insurance futures. :(

Mully
2nd May 2010, 21:27

Good point Mom. I've been wondering where the incentive for insurance companies to actually come into this business when Labour have said they'd reverse the "privatisation" when (if) they get back into power. Unless the insurance companies have inside information that Labour wouldn't kick them out again.

Although, I do note that Phil Goff has already said (when directly asked if Labour would reverse the GST increase) that he would "keep his options open". So much for their little "axe the tax" bus. It'll be higher income tax and higher GST (and probably the same ACC levies too TBH)

Pixie
3rd May 2010, 09:14
Good point Mom. I've been wondering where the incentive for insurance companies to actually come into this business when Labour have said they'd reverse the "privatisation" when (if) they get back into power. Unless the insurance companies have inside information that Labour wouldn't kick them out again.

Although, I do note that Phil Goff has already said (when directly asked if Labour would reverse the GST increase) that he would "keep his options open". So much for their little "axe the tax" bus. It'll be higher income tax and higher GST (and probably the same ACC levies too TBH)

Goff is a liar.
He told AA that Liarbour supports the changes to ACC levies.He hasn't even the guts to reply to my email.

Mully
3rd May 2010, 11:43
Goff is a liar.
In fairness, Goff is a politician - so no surprises there.

He told AA that Liarbour supports the changes to ACC levies.He hasn't even the guts to reply to my email.

Did he now? Well, that's pretty different to what he's been telling rallies that I've been to.

I presume Skyryder will be along shortly to claim that John Key is to blame for Goof's flip-flop......