PDA

View Full Version : BT Multi-Interphone bike-bike intercom

onearmedbandit
25th April 2010, 15:27
I've always wanted to get an intercom for riding, and now that my girlfriend is back on bikes now was the time to really get one, but the price has always put me off, seeing as most I've seen have been around $600 and upwards. Then on KB I come across a thread (this one) (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/120672-Motorbike-Bluetooth-intercom) where mustek was offering a kit for $230. I read a couple of reviews on the 'net and decided to give them a go.

The first thing that struck me when I opened them up was how small and light the units were, yet they seem to be very rugged and obviously well sealed for weather protection. Installation into my Arai Viper GT was very simple, simply insert the clamping plate between the lining and the shell and screw on the clamp, job done. On my g/f's Airoh the shell was a bit thicker, but by using the supplied spacer once again installation was fuss free. The instructions say to mount the unit on the left side of the helmet, but on both helmets I installed it on the right with no issues.

Placing the microphone and speakers in the helmet was a bit more complicated, getting them into the right position so a) you can get the helmet off and on easy and b) that the speakers are in the right position. The only real issue I had/have here is retaining the speaker with the boom mic in the right position. The speakers are attached by velcro to a sticky pad that adheses to the lining, but with both helmets the speaker/mic has detached. A little fine tuning will take care of that, but regardless once you have the helmet on you can readjust.

Pairing up both units to each other was very easy, along with pairing up to my cell phone. I can now receive, reject, or make calls on my phone when wearing my helmet, as well as listen to stereo music and pause/play the phone from the unit. Very handy.

With both units attached and the bikes warming up, we geared up and gave them a whirl. Straight away communication was crisp and clear, audio quality a bit 'tinny' but that's to be expected. The fact that you could hardly notice them on was great. The four buttons (excluding the recessed 'reset' button) are easily used with gloves on, although the smaller volume buttons are a bit harder to locate. However once your used to the layout it all falls to ah, fingertip.

Around town they were faultless. I can honestly recommend them to anyone that rides with someone else regularly, as you can point out hazards, organise fuel stops, change destination all by just having a mobile conversation. You can hear wind noise and the exhaust of the other bike, but the voice comes over loud and clear. Getting out onto the open road obviously the wind noise increased but up to speeds of 120km/h you can comfortably hold a conversation. At speeds above this they still work but the wind noise makes it harder to clearly understand. Distance between rider to rider could go up to about 700m with no noticeable drop in connection, but if you lose line of sight at anything over 300m (ie a corner around hills) then the units will lose each other. Once the units can see each other again they automatically reconnect. As an extra bonus, both my g/f's phone and mine are BlueTooth and we both are on Vodafone with bestmate, which gives us unlimited phone calls to each other for $6 a month. What this means is I can call her (or vice-versa) and talk to each other via our phones through the unit, which of course means she could be at one end of the country and I at the other and we could still communicate.

All-in-all, a fantastic product and at even better price. You will not regret purchasing one of these kits if you ride with someone else.

Spec's:

1640ft Rider to Rider Intercom
Rider to pillion
Mobile Phone to unit
BT equipped GPS/MP3 to unit
Water Resistant
Up to 7hrs talk time
Auto-receive phone calls with reject call option
A2DP equipped for stereo mobiles
Flexible mic boom for personalised fit.
Capability for 3rd paired unit (requires extra kit)

From what I've read on the net, these units do mostly the same functions as the more expensive options, and the more expensive ones still suffer from wind noise issues generally above 120km/h. These are a steal folks.

wanpo
26th April 2010, 09:23
Sounds brilliant, I'm sold. One question about them; is there a headphone jack? or is the output limited to the speakers provided in the kit?

onearmedbandit
26th April 2010, 11:30
Sounds brilliant, I'm sold. One question about them; is there a headphone jack? or is the output limited to the speakers provided in the kit?

Yes they have a std 3.5mm audio jack, so you can use your own speakers or speakers/mic set up.

shafty
26th April 2010, 16:35
Cheers for sharing!

wanpo
26th April 2010, 16:40
Yes they have a std 3.5mm audio jack, so you can use your own speakers or speakers/mic set up.

Ah brilliant, noise isolation earphones it is.

Hitcher
26th April 2010, 18:16
How thin are the speaker units? There's not a lot of room in most helmets for such encumbrances, and ears can take a bit of a hammering with the on-ing and off-ing of helmets.

onearmedbandit
26th April 2010, 23:33
How thin are the speaker units? There's not a lot of room in most helmets for such encumbrances, and ears can take a bit of a hammering with the on-ing and off-ing of helmets.

Without chucking a ruler over them, I'd say about 5-7mm, they are very 'pancake' in appearance.. After a 30min ride couldn't notice any discomfort, and they don't interfere with putting your helmet on or off, maybe with the exception of the speaker with the boom attached, but that's easy to compensate for (move the boom outside of the helmet and readjust once on).

onearmedbandit
27th April 2010, 01:11
Couple of pics.

onearmedbandit
27th April 2010, 01:24
I should also point out that while the kit comes with a charger for each unit, the ac adapters are not intended for our market and so therefore will not fit your wall socket without an adapter (available from most electronic retailers for between $15-$25) although you can charge them via the included usb cables. Initial charge time was around 2.5hrs.

Meanie
27th April 2010, 08:53
Ive been wathing these with keen interest, thanks for the write up. What are they like to listen to music with?

onearmedbandit
27th April 2010, 09:04
The sound quality is ok, sure it is 'tinny' but loud enough to listen to comfortably. Putting the units up to full volume is too loud for comfort and they start distorting, but if you are worried about quality you can simply plug in any 3.5mm headphones.

CookMySock
27th April 2010, 09:49
Anyone tried music through these with some quality earplugs?

Steve

onearmedbandit
27th April 2010, 09:54
Do you mean intergrated speakers/earplugs or just wearing earplugs while using the supplied speakers?

CookMySock
27th April 2010, 18:00
Yes that was not very clear was it. I mean quality in-ear monitors.

Steve

cowboyz
20th May 2010, 20:08
i been keen as for something like this for a long time but every time I look at it I get confused about whatyou actually get. looks good!

bwillielv
17th October 2010, 14:28
Yes these are very nice and great for the price. I got mine at www.cyclecoms.com They are inexpensive and provide a 1 year warranty.

Pretorian
3rd March 2011, 08:51
I've just purchased the 6-rider version of the BT Interphone. I haven't tried it bike-to-bike yet, but I've tried it with my cellphone, listening to music and receiving calls. It works really well and has some nice features like the ability to automatically answer calls and automatically switch back to whatever you were doing before the call came through (listening to music or intercom).

However, my big complaint with the 6-rider version is the size of the buttons. It's virtually impossible to figure out which button is which when you're wearing bulky gloves. There are 9 buttons in a space smaller than a matchbox. If you have tiny fingers and well fitting gloves you'll probably be OK, but I've got large hands and winter-weight leather gloves and I can't find the volume buttons while riding, instead accidentally calling another rider or deactivating the intercom or phone instead.

In hind-sight, I should have bought the 2-rider version because it's only got four buttons and would be a lot easier to use by feel.

Ntoxcated
3rd March 2011, 11:17
I bought a pair of the cheap ones ($230) about 6 months ago and found them to be good enough for the purpose. Riding alone I had mine paired with my cell-phone and a BT transmitter plugged into the radar detector. When paired with my wife's, I didn't bother with the detector and stayed in constant communication. I doubt we ever got them to work over 500m, but clarity was fine. I don't think I had mounted the boom mic particularly securely however and I think the constant bending when putting on and taking off the helmet took its toll and I ended up buying a replacement mic. Then unfortunately both units just stopped working within a week of each other about a month ago. They refuse to turn on.

In summary, they worked well while they worked, but I think you get the quality you pay for, and I am now looking to import a pair of the Bluant models.

Hawkeye
3rd March 2011, 11:49
I bought a pair of the cheap ones ($230) about 6 months ago and found them to be good enough for the purpose. Riding alone I had mine paired with my cell-phone and a BT transmitter plugged into the radar detector. When paired with my wife's, I didn't bother with the detector and stayed in constant communication. I doubt we ever got them to work over 500m, but clarity was fine. I don't think I had mounted the boom mic particularly securely however and I think the constant bending when putting on and taking off the helmet took its toll and I ended up buying a replacement mic. Then unfortunately both units just stopped working within a week of each other about a month ago. They refuse to turn on.

In summary, they worked well while they worked, but I think you get the quality you pay for, and I am now looking to import a pair of the Bluant models.

Yeah! I got a pair of these just before xmas (can connect 3 units together). The first unit came off the helmet while going around a roundabout. Turned my head to shoulder check and the collar of the jacket lifted it out of it's housing. That happened 2-3 times before but just hung on the cable. The 4th time it came off and the unit got ran over by a cage.
Surprisingly, only the on/off button was damaged. Waiting to see if it can be repaired. The other unit failed when I got caught in a huge storm. Filled with water and it's now f&*ked.
Sent both units back to the provider who have agree to try and repair the 1st one and replace the other under warranty.
I was very impressed with the quality and ease of use. Used it to listen music and paired with the cell.
Don't have the issues others have stated here re: putting helmet off/on. Still use the speakers for MP3 at the moment and don't even notice the speakers are there. Mike also stays put. Looking forward to getting the units back.

Ntoxcated
3rd March 2011, 14:23
Sent both units back to the provider who have agree to try and repair the 1st one and replace the other under warranty.

Who was your provider? I bought mine from Mustek here on KB so just assumed no warranty.

Hawkeye
4th March 2011, 07:20
Who was your provider? I bought mine from Mustek here on KB so just assumed no warranty.

Got mine from TM - The Gadget Guy's (Auckland based).
They give 3 months warranty.
They have been great about it and were very concerned about finding out how the unit came off the helmet and also how the other unit got water in it.

Oh! and mine only cost me $209

I unfortunately opened the unit up (cage damage) to check the curcuit board expecting it to be completely screwed, which invalidated the warranty. But I can live with that if they can actually get it working again. I was impressed that a cage wheel drove straight over the top of it and the only damage was the on/off switch.
And they have agreed without any hassle to replace the water damaged one as part of the warranty.

Great guy's to deal with.

NZsarge
4th March 2011, 07:39

Have a look at the Sena SMH-10, available through www.ramsolutions.co.nz
Edit: there's plenty of vids on you-tube if you what to get a more detailed look at it and it's features.

Ntoxcated
4th March 2011, 10:37
Got mine from TM - The Gadget Guy's (Auckland based).
They give 3 months warranty.
They have been great about it and were very concerned about finding out how the unit came off the helmet and also how the other unit got water in it.

Oh! and mine only cost me $209

I unfortunately opened the unit up (cage damage) to check the curcuit board expecting it to be completely screwed, which invalidated the warranty. But I can live with that if they can actually get it working again. I was impressed that a cage wheel drove straight over the top of it and the only damage was the on/off switch.
And they have agreed without any hassle to replace the water damaged one as part of the warranty.

Great guy's to deal with.

I opened one of mine as well - bloody hard to get into. Gadget Guys look ok. Although with a three month warranty mine still wouldn't be covered. But buying these cheap ones did tell me was that they are really useful, so now I don't mind spending more on some hopefully better ones.

Have a look at the Sena SMH-10, available through www.ramsolutions.co.nz
Edit: there's plenty of vids on you-tube if you what to get a more detailed look at it and it's features.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

jasonzc
23rd May 2011, 23:04
hey, so are these things full duplex? As in can you and the pillion speak at the same time?

awayatc
24th May 2011, 05:47
but......
Why would you want to...?

jasonzc
24th May 2011, 22:57
but......
Why would you want to...?

was just wondering.. otherwise one guy would speak.. the other one also speaks.. long awkward silence.. cause the other person who spoke at the same time would of thought he said sth.. the origional guy is hears nothing and still waiting for response.. then they both speak together again because of the silence.. ends up in more silence..

might be a funny situation..

onearmedbandit
24th May 2011, 23:42
Both can speak at the same time.

peg
24th March 2012, 15:42
If $230 is ok, and then $209 is better... how about a two pair set shipped to NZ for NZ$105! See this link here (http://tinyurl.com/7x4xrw4) to DealExtreme.

I've bought a bit of cheap stuff from DealExtreme over the years. Some of it's very good quality... some not so good. The reviews usually give a good idea, and they seem fairly positive. At that price, who cares.

I must admit that I'm way more tempted myself by the new Interphone F5, but at about one fifth the price - these BT Interphones from DealExtreme look like a good starter pack for those people wanting to try the technology out?

kiwigjt
28th May 2012, 08:59
If $230 is ok, and then $209 is better... how about a two pair set shipped to NZ for NZ$105! See this link here (http://tinyurl.com/7x4xrw4) to DealExtreme.

I've bought a bit of cheap stuff from DealExtreme over the years. Some of it's very good quality... some not so good. The reviews usually give a good idea, and they seem fairly positive. At that price, who cares.

I must admit that I'm way more tempted myself by the new Interphone F5, but at about one fifth the price - these BT Interphones from DealExtreme look like a good starter pack for those people wanting to try the technology out?

Well I am struggling to find a better deal than this. Can anyone see a "catch" with it???

Akzle
28th May 2012, 11:27
vox UHF CB with headsets. jaycar has em.

infinite number of riders, range better that bluetooth (like, 2km better) plug into 12v....
and if you stick it on the roadies channel you can hear the roadworks boys you're about to drive into...

Hitcher
28th May 2012, 18:06
vox UHF CB with headsets. jaycar has em.

These things? http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=DC1032&keywords=vox&form=KEYWORD

That looks about as much use under a helmet as a toupee.

kiwigjt
11th July 2012, 15:17
Without chucking a ruler over them, I'd say about 5-7mm, they are very 'pancake' in appearance.. After a 30min ride couldn't notice any discomfort, and they don't interfere with putting your helmet on or off, maybe with the exception of the speaker with the boom attached, but that's easy to compensate for (move the boom outside of the helmet and readjust once on).

I bought a set and damn are they painful getting helmet on and off, I can't even do it without a balaclava on, I am going to go out this weekend and see how they feel on a longer ride, just have to hope that I don't need to take my helmet on and off very often.
Have anyone got any tips on how to stop this discomfort? Tried to look into taking out any foam from the area of the speakers but there doesn't look to be any anyway as it is the recess for your ears.

GTRMAN
12th July 2012, 09:19
I bought a set and damn are they painful getting helmet on and off, I can't even do it without a balaclava on, I am going to go out this weekend and see how they feel on a longer ride, just have to hope that I don't need to take my helmet on and off very often.
Have anyone got any tips on how to stop this discomfort? Tried to look into taking out any foam from the area of the speakers but there doesn't look to be any anyway as it is the recess for your ears.

what helmet are you using?

kiwigjt
12th July 2012, 11:05
what helmet are you using?

I've got an HJC CL-ST

GTRMAN
12th July 2012, 12:04
I've got an HJC CL-ST

OK, if it is anything like my HJC there is a fabric pocket inside the ear recess. try either placing the speaker under or inside this pocket. failing that you could try fitting the speaker under the fabric lining.

kiwigjt
12th July 2012, 12:57
OK, if it is anything like my HJC there is a fabric pocket inside the ear recess. try either placing the speaker under or inside this pocket. failing that you could try fitting the speaker under the fabric lining.

I tried that too, I might have to give it another go and see if I can find a good way of getting them in there that doesn't involve me loosing my ears.
Cheers.

peg
15th July 2012, 21:26
I tried that too, I might have to give it another go and see if I can find a good way of getting them in there that doesn't involve me loosing my ears.
Cheers.

I've modified every helmet I've ever owned to install sound equipment... From rudimentary parted out headphones to connect to an early Sony Walkman back in the '70s, right up to the Sena bluetooth headset in my current Bell flip-front.

It's usually involved a little grinding out of polystyrene under the fabric liner or some sort. Even the Bell, which had recesses inbuilt for speakers - needed those filled in and new ones dremelled out so the speakers are even somewhere near my ears. (They're now right over them and angled back just the right way)

It's easy enough to do... Polystyrene is simple stuff to work with. Have a go on an old (or a mate's:cool:) helmet first.

Akzle
16th July 2012, 11:16
These things? http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=DC1032&keywords=vox&form=KEYWORD

That looks about as much use under a helmet as a toupee.

i wonder why you say that? looks like it'd work just fine... i wear ear bud phones in to rock out my MP3s... no problem.

that is ONE option. the others (from jaycar) are
http://jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=DC1039
http://jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=DC1037

the former will connect to VOX capable handset, the latter has PTT button so will connect to any CB, uhf, vhf, AM etc...
RF FTW!

GTRMAN
17th July 2012, 09:21
i wonder why you say that? looks like it'd work just fine... i wear ear bud phones in to rock out my MP3s... no problem.

that is ONE option. the others (from jaycar) are
http://jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=DC1039
http://jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=DC1037

the former will connect to VOX capable handset, the latter has PTT button so will connect to any CB, uhf, vhf, AM etc...
RF FTW!

Those are all good suggestions Akzle, the problem with a VOX triggered anything is the noisy environment of a motorcycle at speed, without a microphone specifically designed for the task you will be triggering the transmit a lot of the time and transmitting nothing but wind noise. Less of an issue with a PTT setup but you are still going to need a purpose designed mic, generally one with good off axis rejection.

I have tried a number of Jaycar headsets on tour with a group, none of them were up to the task.

A cheap option is one of the Pinfolds headsets with PTT working on a Jaycar UHF (PRS) radio, tried them and they work fine and tent to last.

I now use a Starcom1 Advance and it is great, full duplex rider to pillion, bluetooth connection to phone, UHF radio for bike to bike, mp3 player. Have upgraded several friends bikes to this system.

The headset speakers are very thin so don't interfere with your ears when putting the helmet on. And as it is a wired system there are no problems with the unit running flat.

Akzle
17th July 2012, 13:58
...the problem with a VOX triggered anything is the noisy environment of a motorcycle at speed, without a microphone specifically designed for the task you will be triggering the transmit a lot of the time and transmitting nothing but wind noise. Less of an issue with a PTT setup but you are still going to need a purpose designed mic, generally one with good off axis rejection

....I now use a Starcom1 Advance and it is great, full duplex rider to pillion, bluetooth connection to phone, UHF radio for bike to bike, mp3 player. Have upgraded several friends bikes to this system.

whutta rich guy. where are you sourcing the 'coms from?

one can generally tune vox sensetivity/ frequency responses. while i've never done it on a bike, filtering out crowd noise etc seems to work. cheaper directional mic's are generally shit at picking up anything that isn't directed at them, add a sock and they're a pretty good deal.

good to have input from someone whose used em tho...

GTRMAN
17th July 2012, 14:01
whutta rich guy. where are you sourcing the 'coms from?

one can generally tune vox sensetivity/ frequency responses. while i've never done it on a bike, filtering out crowd noise etc seems to work. cheaper directional mic's are generally shit at picking up anything that isn't directed at them, add a sock and they're a pretty good deal.

good to have input from someone whose used em tho...

source most of my gear direct from Starcom1, spending half my life working as a sound engineer has left me with no tolerance for crap gear.