PDA

View Full Version : Visibike Kit......

XTC
20th May 2005, 11:39
Fitted one of these to my xt recently and am very happy with it. What it does... Makes the indicators glow to help make you more vivible to those on the road. I have had these on three previous bikes and seem to have fewer incidences of cars pulling out on me. Also make you more visible on the motorway as your headlight does not blend in as easily with those of the cars behind you. Opposite indicator goes off when indicating so no chance of confusion for others. Easily wired up if you have a few clues. Wouldn't cost much for an auto electrician to do the job for you if you aren't confident in doing it yourself.

XTC rating : A+++++ :)

Only $65.00

PM me if you want the guys email address.

bugjuice
20th May 2005, 11:42
I saw a diagram on the net somewhere about how to (with the aid of a new relay) wire up the lights yourself to make them running lights.. I'll have a hunt for it later.

Good stuff tho, and does help :niceone:

Ixion
20th May 2005, 11:46
Strictly speaking these are probably illegal in NZ. They are in effect using the indicators as running lights, and the standards for running lights are different to those for indicators. There is a vague but ominous warning in the lighting rules about it.

Having said that , I also say the law is an ass. And on the BMW I have done exactly thus. Didn't use a kit, just twiddled the wiring a bit and shook some relays into it. Kit would have been easier and probably cheaper.

Just don't mention it to the WOF guys.

XTC
20th May 2005, 11:48
Strictly speaking these are probably illegal in NZ. They are in effect using the indicators as running lights, and the standards for running lights are different to those for indicators. There is a vague but ominous warning in the lighting rules about it.

Having said that , I also say the law is an ass. And on the BMW I have done exactly thus. Didn't use a kit, just twiddled the wiring a bit and shook some relays into it. Kit would have been easier and probably cheaper.

Whats a WOF :killingme

bugjuice
20th May 2005, 11:53
what about all the import vehicles that come over from otehr countries that have the lights on? I've seen heaps of cars and bikes like that.. I really don't think its a WOF issue..

Ixion
20th May 2005, 11:56
what about all the import vehicles that come over from otehr countries that have the lights on? I've seen heaps of cars and bikes like that.. I really don't think its a WOF issue..

Tis OK if it's OEM. Silly rule. WOF never goning to know if you don't tell him, why invite a hassle.New rules, WOF tester doesn't care so much, he says it's up to the police. Never had any feedback from police, have passed many with them on. Any KB coppers want to comment (bad sample though cos by definition they're bikers. We'd need input from copper who hates bikes)

merv
20th May 2005, 12:42
Personally I don't like them when the rider thinks they are OK in lieu of having the headlight on, something akin to cars driving down the road with park lights on. When group riding a decent headlight is the easiest seen in our convex rear view mirrors, whereas the little blinker lights disappear in daylight conditions.

Holy Roller
20th May 2005, 12:53
Bike came standard with them, they come on as soon as the key is turned to the on position. Comments from others say that I'm more visable at dusk. Its got to be good :niceone:

Hitcher
20th May 2005, 13:20

Crapola. A lot of bikes are fitted with these as standard. My ZRX1200R did, so too both Mrs H's Marauders.

phantom
20th May 2005, 13:25
my gb400 has it as standard

Ixion
20th May 2005, 13:56
Crapola. A lot of bikes are fitted with these as standard. My ZRX1200R did, so too both Mrs H's Marauders.

Yeh, but OEM is always OK. Tis retrofit where the problems arise. Clarification, it's not having them that could be an issue it's because (in theory) when they're OEM, the lenses will be approved for indicator and running light standards. "Ordinary" indicator lenses may not be - just for indicator. Those numbers cast in the lens mean stuff. Most testers just look and say "Oh got numbers, fine". But, in theory they have to be the RIGHT numbers. However if there's a significant number of bikes with them as standard, means the police are unlikely to worry.Which is good. Still wouldn't blab to the WOF guy about how I fitted them though

Hitcher
20th May 2005, 14:54
Yeh, but OEM is always OK. Tis retrofit where the problems arise. Clarification, it's not having them that could be an issue it's because (in theory) when they're OEM, the lenses will be approved for indicator and running light standards. "Ordinary" indicator lenses may not be - just for indicator. Those numbers cast in the lens mean stuff. Most testers just look and say "Oh got numbers, fine". But, in theory they have to be the RIGHT numbers. However if there's a significant number of bikes with them as standard, means the police are unlikely to worry.Which is good. Still wouldn't blab to the WOF guy about how I fitted them though
Okay. So we're both right then?

Ixion
20th May 2005, 17:12
Okay. So we're both right then?

Veritably. Otherwise one of us would be wrong, an unthinkable proposition

Does this mean that ass and arse are also both correct ?

Coyote
20th May 2005, 17:40
Seems like a good idea. Not as naff as a bloody fluro straight jacket thingy I had to wear when I started riding

Hitcher
21st May 2005, 13:41
Does this mean that ass and arse are also both correct ?
Hmmm. The Venerable Brothers of TBDOTGNZA think not...