PDA

View Full Version : In related news...

Hanne
27th April 2010, 14:16
Other groups are still being screwed over too and the effects of the ACC changes are starting to come to a head for them, this (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10641028) from today's NZ Herald

The new rules provide ACC-subsidised counselling only for victims with a diagnosed mental condition caused by sexual abuse, and generally only for up to 16 weeks before a further review....

the rules had caused a virtual "collapse" of sexual abuse counselling, with cases approved by ACC down from 472 in the first two months of last year to just 32 in the same period this year...

The Association of Counsellors' representative on the ACC's sensitive claims advisory group, Elayne Johnston, said a 15-year-old girl who was raped over Christmas had still not received counselling because ACC required her to be assessed by a psychologist to see whether she had suffered a "mental injury".

Dr McGregor said almost all of the 600 to 700 private counsellors who were registered for ACC-funded work had stopped taking applicants for ACC subsidies since the new rules took effect because of an ethical objection to labelling assault victims as mentally ill.

Genie
27th April 2010, 14:20
It's pretty tragic for society when the 'cost' of professional help for victims overrides the need for healing. Money - causes more misery than anything else.

spajohn
27th April 2010, 16:15
Not that I'm wanting to rush to the defence of the Nat's with what they have done with ACC since they've been in, but did you also read that these rules that are turning away sexual abuse victims were introduced by Labour? To be fair, albeit clearly too late, the Nat's are looking at how to change what Labour fucked.

mashman
28th April 2010, 11:52
Not that I'm wanting to rush to the defence of the Nat's with what they have done with ACC since they've been in, but did you also read that these rules that are turning away sexual abuse victims were introduced by Labour? To be fair, albeit clearly too late, the Nat's are looking at how to change what Labour fucked.

I don't care who fucked what, the fact that noone is actually doing anything to help these people speaks volumes in regards as to how your government view you... it's pathetic and there's nothing anyone can do about it apparantly...

slofox
28th April 2010, 15:15
I don't care who fucked what, the fact that noone is actually doing anything to help these people speaks volumes in regards as to how your government view you... it's pathetic and there's nothing anyone can do about it apparantly...

Dollars are always worth more than cents (sense)...

crazyhorse
29th April 2010, 06:41
Dollars are always worth more than cents (sense)...

:rofl: :rofl: you must've slept with the light on last night :rofl: :rofl:

Mom
29th April 2010, 07:24

We have a protest ride this coming Saturday where we are being joined by a group of people that are protesting this issue. The momentum will build on this. It is obscene what these people have to go through to get some help. They are re-victimised by the very organisation that is supposed to be helping them.

Genie
29th April 2010, 07:38
We have a protest ride this coming Saturday where we are being joined by a group of people that are protesting this issue. The momentum will build on this. It is obscene what these people have to go through to get some help. They are re-victimised by the very organisation that is supposed to be helping them.

What i find rather odd in this scenerio of sexual abuse is how ACC, which is there for accicents, class being raped or abused over a period of time as an "accident".
I think we have been extremely fortunate to have had this type of trauma recognised at all....many countires women and young girls are ostracized. I did read that they are now relooking at how this is managed and hope that they sort it soon so these women and children can still recieve the help they need to overcome the effects this trauma has caused.

Mom
29th April 2010, 07:40
What i find rather odd in this scenerio of sexual abuse is how ACC, which is there for accicents, class being raped or abused over a period of time as an "accident".
I think we have been extremely fortunate to have had this type of trauma recognised at all....many countires women and young girls are ostracized. I did read that they are now relooking at how this is managed and hope that sort it soon so these women and children can still recieve the help the need to overcome the effects this trauma has caused.

They have to go and recount the detail of the abuse to 3 seperate people and admit to being mentally ill before they can get any help, this is the new and improved system. Nics Myth stood up and told a packed meeting that he was not a health professional so could not comment on wether womone was sick or not. Hideous little man.

Motig
29th April 2010, 07:44
At the risk of being shot down in flames (Covered by ACC I hope) I do have trouble with the 'suppressed memory claims'.

Mom
29th April 2010, 07:47
At the risk of being shot down in flames (Covered by ACC I hope) I do have trouble with the 'suppressed memory claims'.

That is as maybe, but what we are talking about is say a young female that turns up in a hospital A&E after being obviously sexually assaulted. All the drama that goes with that, physical exams, police interviews. She also has to run the gaunlet of the system before she can get any help. It is wrong on so many levels.

riffer
29th April 2010, 07:51

Maybe the argument could be made that ACC is not the right venue for help for victims of sexual abuse. But to force people to claim a mental "injury" in order to receive counseling for sexual abuse is a further form of abuse to those who are not in a position to handle it.

IMO provisions should have been made for a different way to handle sexual abuse claims before simply pulling the rug out from under abuse victims.