PDA

View Full Version : A Tranny and a Fart go for a ride, a glide and a rally...

XF650
28th April 2010, 21:32
Timg (Transalp) and I (Freewind) headed south last Friday for a 4 day adv ride that we will never forget.
We rode down via the usual glorious gravel of McKenzie, Haka and Myers Passes then skirted to Kurow via the Clarksfield Rd vista's of the Waitaki Valley. In no time we were through Dansey's and accross the Maniototo to Clyde, for our first night tenting at Jantar's place, the venue for the inaugural Southern Rider Rally. About 30 bikes attended and not a Harley in sight' but only 4 adv bikes there.
Saturday and our host had organised glider rides!! This was always on my bucket list of things to do and I have to say it was bloody fantastic - thanks Malcolm.
1) I was a very happy chappy, especially as pilot instructor Jantar let us have flight control.
2) Ruralman itching to tow launch the glider
3) Tim doing his pre flight
4) The glider and that bloody 990 again (and yes, he did a Tom Cruise and raced the planes down the runway)

XF650
28th April 2010, 21:44
The Sat night party was very convivial and Sunday morning (Anzac Day) Tim and I were first away from the Rally. We shot into Alex for fuel and to place our poppies on the gun outside the RSA.
We then called into Dunstan hospital to pay our respects to another wounded soldier
1) Shrek, fellow adv rider known to many of you but with a gammy leg when we visited him
2) Lest We Forget

XF650
28th April 2010, 21:54
From Earnscleugh we shot up the pylon track to Duffers Saddle.
1) Half way up & this was the last sunshine we were to see for the next two days
2) Ominous black clouds heading our way - the Nevis is under that...

XF650
28th April 2010, 22:35
We knew we were going to get a wet arse (in hindsight this is the weather bomb that hit western Southland) and more sensible souls would have scuttled back down to Cromwell to find some warm dry lodgings. But we figured that's not adv riding so on with the wets, turn on the heated grips and we headed into the Nevis.
Initially the rain & wind wasn't too bad, but wet enough that we didn't get the cameras out very often. Which is just as well because that means there are no pics of a couple of my dismounts, but that did provide entertainment to the tourists in the following 4x4. I would like to add that said offs were simply my way of showing Tim where not to go. Thanks though to Tim for helping drag the XF out of one mud hole. As you can guess, things were getting a bit greasy, for me anyway...
Pic is at the compulsory stop in the Nevis. Isn't that Tranny a great looking bike:

NordieBoy
28th April 2010, 22:42
Good stuff.

So which is faster, the Tranny or Fart?

XF650
28th April 2010, 23:11
By the time we got to Kingston the weather was atrocious. The staff at the tea rooms must have been really pissed off with the puddles of water we left on their carpet, but hot food and drink was essential for the next excursion - Skippers.
The ride up Kingston Arm was nasty - howling head wind, pelting rain, limited visibility and my rear tyre was another story for the tyre thread....
We were much happier once on the Skippers gravel although I would have to say I hadn't seen it so soft before. Still great riding though. The River was dirty & rising which wasn't a good sign but we pushed on right to the old Skippers settlement, then paused for re-think on the restored school house porch. Sanity prevailed and we turned back, which going by the track scouring on the way out was just as well. In fact my hosts that night couldn't believe that it was passable, with all the rain that had fallen.
Pic is at old Skippers school house

XF650
28th April 2010, 23:15
Good stuff.

So which is faster, the Tranny or Fart?

Lets just say Tim is a better rider than me........

XF650
28th April 2010, 23:45
Monday and we met at Cromwell for the ride home. It was still bloody raining and we were already soaked through from riding the Kawarau Gorge. Did a quick farm (work) call then I showed Tim a gravel excursion around the back of Tarras, coming out further up the Lindas Valley via Phillips Rd (nice gravel with plenty of corners). This included the famous Deep Creek road "dip", where rally cars and drunken locals go to get some real air....
We then rode up the Old Faithfull gravel road, to the remains of the Lindis Hotel. Went a bit further to see if we could ford the river out to the main road but rising water curtailed that. So we backtracked out and headed for Omararama. Pic is the pub ruins up Old Faithfull Rd - well worth a look plus there is a camping ground there if you are keen.

XF650
29th April 2010, 00:12
We shot down to Otamatata for lunch with the "Oldrider's" - thanks again for your hospitality Pip & John. Then back up to Omararama and a stop at the Twizel salmon farm for gifts of fresh pink fish for our wives. It was still bloody raining and my saddle bags were filling with water. For the first time even my top box was leaking on this trip.
I then led Tim on our last gravel excursion, up the Mt Cook Station road on the north side of Lake Pukaki. Tim took point on the Braemer Rd part to Tekapo, a really fast bit of gravel. I was noticing I had a vibration on acceleration and had visions of bits of 3rd gear getting into the main bearings. However it was just the chain needing tightening from all the water and mud we had ridden through.
Last stop was Fairlie for much needed hot food and drink. Home at 6pm, still raining..
Only dissapointment was that water must have got into my camera with many pics not recorded, so most on here are Tim's. However all the rain did a great job of settling the dust and Tim reckons we should take the credit for breaking the drought down there.
Great ride, great gravel, great Rally and great company.

Padmei
29th April 2010, 07:38
So next time there is a drought we organise an adv ride for you - nice

good stuff XF650 a great ride!

marks
29th April 2010, 07:53
nice one Struan - although you can keep your rain
I'll be down there next week - in a car :(

Taz
29th April 2010, 15:56
Nice ride report. Sounds like you had a real adventure.

junkmanjoe
29th April 2010, 19:51
Oh...i was waiting for the pics of glider launch...
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=205931&d=1272445806

Jantar
29th April 2010, 21:03
Oh...i was waiting for the pics of glider launch...
You mean like this?

junkmanjoe
29th April 2010, 21:32
well........................................ not quite what i had in mind.... but that will do..

Monstaman
29th April 2010, 22:01
Great trip report and pics Struan.

That looks like fun
30th April 2010, 03:40
Looks like you had a bit of fun Straun :yes: Will we see you on the MMMM this year? I need to know how much wet weather gear to pack eg: lots, shitloads or snorkel? :shifty:

Aslan
30th April 2010, 12:58
Great report and pics Struan & Tim - envious of the country you guys have down South - I was slow to realise your Freewind is the 'Fart' Struan - I thought you were referring to yourself, in which case I was thinking 'Old Fart' and going to say "its all relative" - you're a young fella relatively speaking!

Anyway great narrative - thanks for taking the time to post - cheers Aslan :)