PDA

View Full Version : Heated bike grips. Do they really work?

zealchick
28th April 2010, 22:05
Ok so i know most of you will say get some harden the f**k up. But i am really feeling the cold and my hands are unbearably freezing.... and its not even winter yet!!
I am thinking maybe getting some heated grips, but do they really work? does anyone have them? are you happy with them? and which brand do you recommend?

DMNTD
28th April 2010, 22:08
Ok so i know most of you will say get some harden the f**k up. But i am really feeling the cold and my hands are unbearably freezing.... and its not even winter yet!!
I am thinking maybe getting some heated grips, but do they really work? does anyone have them? are you happy with them? and which brand do you recommend?

They are bloody excellent especially when riding year round.
I have and do use the Oxford heated grips as they are affordable plus the supplier backs them 100%

warewolf
28th April 2010, 22:16
One thing I've noticed is that you can regulate your temperature by flicking a switch. No need to stop to add/remove a jumper or something. Or you can ride out after work in summer gloves, but add the heat on the way back later in the evening - the type of weather where winter gauntlets are just too hot at knock-off time.

First big trip with mine, I switched them on when I got cold and noticed my toes tingling - so they must have some overall positive effect. Downside can be that they increase blood flow to the fingers so the outside layer exposed to the wind sheds even more heat.

My favourite ones are the heater elements that wrap around your bar underneath whatever grip you like. Most of the grips with built-in heating elements suck, although they are getting better these days - but so are the other grips.
Definitely worth it.

CookMySock
28th April 2010, 22:22
Hotgrips are great - they make a big difference. Also they are only $100 ish so a cheap and useful addition to your bike. However, for the slimmer ladies you are likely better served to go for bulk around your torso and neck. Also consider a heated liner for your jacket.

Steve

zealchick
28th April 2010, 22:55
Hotgrips are great - they make a big difference. Also they are only $100 ish so a cheap and useful addition to your bike. However, for the slimmer ladies you are likely better served to go for bulk around your torso and neck. Also consider a heated liner for your jacket.

Steve

Yep i have done all that :-) merino top, neck tube and just last weekend leather pants that zip to my jacket that sealed the gap up my back:-) so my body is well warm now. Just my hands grr thay were so bad tonight i lost all the feeling and blood down to my first knucles :-(

pete376403
28th April 2010, 23:35
Cold hands? In Auckland? Jeeze. But yeah, hot grips are really worth it. Oxfords, easy enough to install, fairly failsafe in that the controller will turn off when the battery voltage drops below about 11 (so if you forget to turn them off when you park the bike, etc) but if they are wired through the ignition switch that takes care of that problem. The coloured LEDs on the controller are pretty bright at night, and the press buttons on the version that I have are a little difficult to use with gloves on.
THe wrap around types could make the grips too fat for small hands.

zealchick
29th April 2010, 07:25
Cold hands? In Auckland? Jeeze. But yeah, hot grips are really worth it. Oxfords, easy enough to install, fairly failsafe in that the controller will turn off when the battery voltage drops below about 11 (so if you forget to turn them off when you park the bike, etc) but if they are wired through the ignition switch that takes care of that problem. The coloured LEDs on the controller are pretty bright at night, and the press buttons on the version that I have are a little difficult to use with gloves on.
THe wrap around types could make the grips too fat for small hands.

I know... i'm a sook!! I really feel the cold :-( Thanks sound like i'll be looking into oxfords on the weekend

NZsarge
29th April 2010, 08:00
They are bloody excellent especially when riding year round.
I have and do use the Oxford heated grips as they are affordable

+1, would'nt be without them.

yungatart
29th April 2010, 08:18
Another tip for beating the cold...wear your bra over the top of your thermal, rather than underneath!

p.dath
29th April 2010, 08:21
Another tip for beating the cold...wear your bra over the top of your thermal, rather than underneath!

I wondered why superman wore his underwear on the outside. Obviously his penis gets very cold flying at high altitude.

Rosie
29th April 2010, 08:21
My favourite ones are the heater elements that wrap around your bar underneath whatever grip you like. Most of the grips with built-in heating elements suck, although they are getting better these days - but so are the other grips.
Definitely worth it.

This style of heated grip is very good if you have small hands. I have small hands, and find oxford, and similar styles, have grips that are a little too big to be comfortable. With the stick on heating elements, my grips are just the same size as they would be without heaters.

p.dath
29th April 2010, 08:22
I've just bought myself a pair of Oxford Sports Grips. Haven't fitted them yet (saving for a weekend project). But like you, have made the decision not to ride through another winter without doing something about the really cold hands.

BiK3RChiK
29th April 2010, 08:22

Just get them! They are awesome.... I've got Oxford heated grips as there was no way I was going through another winter without them. I also have a heated jacket :D I have hollow bars on the bike, so I haven't had the grips on 100% yet. I'd recommend them to anyone who suffers from cold hands. It's dangerous to ride with numb hands as your reactions are much slower.

vifferman
29th April 2010, 17:24
Yeah, they work.
I used to think they were unnecessary in D'Auckland as it didn't get cold enough. However, when I bought the VFR it had them on already. The first time I used them it was going over the Mamakus, and it wasn't even particularly cold, but I was. I turned them on, and ended up grinning like a loon! If your hands are warm, you feel warm. :yes:

Flip
29th April 2010, 18:31
Yep they work great. I won't have a bike without them.

hellokitty
29th April 2010, 18:56

I rode to work last spring and 10 minutes before I got there, my hands were so cold (I had thermal liners under my gloves) that I lost all feeling - couldn't even work the clutch or brake lever.
Thank god I was on a GN250 which is pretty forgiving as I had to stay in the same gear for the rest of the journey.
I couldn't get my gear off - had to get someone to help me - took about 10 minutes to get any feeling back and then it was agony - like being plunged into boiling water.

The first thing I got when I bought my new bike was heated handgrips - bloody dangerous for me to ride in the cold without them - nothing wimpy about having them - much safer I think to have warm hands and proper control of your bike

Mr Merde
29th April 2010, 19:00
They work wonderfully but even better if you mate them with a pair of bar mitts.

I used both when working as a dispatch rider in the UK. Used to go out in all weathers including 10 degrees below.

Kept my hands warm ands snug.

awayatc
29th April 2010, 19:04
Some people still ride without heated grips.......?

sunhuntin
29th April 2010, 20:20
ive been meaning to get some fitted. my hands get cold really fast, and once they are cold, they tend to stay that way for hours. ive often been riding, and stopped to warm my hands by placing them on the engine... at times, i couldnt even feel how hot it was.

wonder if theyve invented "peg warmers" yet?

davebullet
29th April 2010, 22:09
wonder if theyve invented "peg warmers" yet?

I'm thinking of inventing tank warmers... you know what for.....

Owl
29th April 2010, 23:06
Yeah heated grips certainly help, but I still reckon my Icebreaker glove liners were as good, or better investment at $30.

NordieBoy
30th April 2010, 06:56
I'm thinking of inventing tank warmers... you know what for.....

For those who ride balls not arches?

zealchick
30th April 2010, 07:48

really? are you just taking the piss??

BuzzardNZ
30th April 2010, 07:59
remember in the old days when going for a longish trip on a cold winters day, would stop off at a fish 'n chip shop, buy a scoop of chips, bung em down my jacket and get 30 mins worth of warmth :D

yungatart
30th April 2010, 08:00
really? are you just taking the piss??

Not at all.
See, when you put your bra on and then your thermal over the top there is a gap caused by your cleavage (no matter how small)
Putting your bra over the top keeps your thermal snug against the skin, which is how it is designed to work.
Trust me on this, it DOES make a difference!

CookMySock
30th April 2010, 08:03
really? are you just taking the piss??No. We never take the piss. :shifty:

Steve

jafar
30th April 2010, 08:26
Heated grips do work, My BMW came with them as standard & with bark busters as well, the bark busters deflect the wind & rain off your gloves & make a big difference.

zealchick
30th April 2010, 08:37
No. We never take the piss. :shifty:

Steve

hahaha yeah never!!:shifty:

sunhuntin
30th April 2010, 19:04
Heated grips do work, My BMW came with them as standard & with bark busters as well, the bark busters deflect the wind & rain off your gloves & make a big difference.

ive been wondering about busters, but i think they would look dorky on the virago, lol

dave... a tank warmer could be a good idea for both sexes. funny how rain seems to soak straight through everything, no matter how many layers.

Grumpy
30th April 2010, 19:16
Sounds feasible but I'm not sure if Mrs Grumpy wears my size.

Oh and heated grips are the bee's knees.

Neon
30th April 2010, 20:18
Yep, I've got 'em too and I wouldn't have a bike without them (unless it was a race bike. Mmmm race bike...) . Anyway, last winter even in Aucks we had a few early mornings that were sub 7C, and I recall riding to work in 0C one day (wind chill @100km/h= -11C). So yeah, it does get nippy. That particular morning was before I got heated grips, and was the reason I bought them. Worth every cent. They'll be the first mod to my new bike.

zealchick
30th April 2010, 21:00
Ok so i am getting them!!! might even be brave and take the bike across the bridge to cycletreads ( as aposed to the car)
I am assuming they are easy to intall??

vifferman
30th April 2010, 21:21
I am assuming they are easy to intall??
Hmmm.....
Depends how handy you are, and how you install them. The ones I've got (the Oxfords with the solid-state controller), the instructions say to just bolt the terminals to the bike's battery, as they have this safety feature that turns them off when the battery's voltage drops to 11.5V or somesuch. That's easy enough, and kinda dumb. While a battery will recover from dropping to that voltage, it does (after a wjile) reduce the starting capacity. A more betterer option is to hook them up via a relay, with a trigger from something that's only 'live' when the key's on (like a tail light). To do that is a piece of wees if you're electrically savvy, otherwise some head-scratching's required.
As for the grips themselves, they're not hard to install on the bars, but there's a few tricks. Like you may have to cut off the end of the one for the throttle (well... I did; your bike may be different). And they're held on by superglue, so before you glue them you have to test-fit them, remove any rubber dags under the grips, make sure they'll fit well, decide the orientation so the wires going into them are out of the way (especially the throttle one). Then you dribble some glue on, whackem on quick, and get them in the right place.
Then the other thing is getting the cables nicely tucked away.
All quite do-able, but care and thought are required.

Coldrider
30th April 2010, 21:26
My hot grips are 12watt, wiring about 1.5 mtres from the battery, so I don't understand the need for a relay. I connected to the horn circuit, hardly used if ever. The most difficult part of installing mine was cutting the ends out of the grips to refitthe bar end weights, without cutting the heating elements.

zealchick
30th April 2010, 22:30
Jeezus Tania its not even cold yet

vifferman
1st May 2010, 14:04
My hot grips are 12watt, wiring about 1.5 mtres from the battery, so I don't understand the need for a relay. I connected to the horn circuit, hardly used if ever. The most difficult part of installing mine was cutting the ends out of the grips to refitthe bar end weights, without cutting the heating elements.
I didn't use a relay either - I've got a Blue Sea 5025 fuse box, to which all my accessories are connected. The old grips were previously connected to the front brake light switch - looked like a standard install, as all the plugs were made for it.
Your suggestion is fine - anything that's switched by the ignition would be OK.
As for cutting the grips - I first checked whether Cycletreads would honour the warranty if the grips were modified, and they said they would. Next, I felt underneath the rubber to see where the elements ended - it happened to be 0.5 cm or so from where I needed to cut, so it wasn't an issue.

dipshit
1st May 2010, 16:13
My hot grips are 12watt, wiring about 1.5 mtres from the battery, so I don't understand the need for a relay.

The downside of not using a relay, is that if you have a short with your added on accessory it could drawn large current through the bike's wiring loom causing lots of damage. What is the build quality of your added on accessory... is it exposed to the driving rain... how many years is likely to be on the bike...? If it ever fails and develops a short, it could cause damage to the bike's electronics and wiring that you have tapped into. You would be relying on bike's fuses to stop the damage in time.

The safe way is to wire the accessory directly to the battery with its own fuse. But then of course it will be live all the time, so if you forget to turn it off it will run your battery down. So then you put a relay between the accessory and the battery and trigger it via an ignition on source.

sinned
1st May 2010, 16:29
As covered in many other threads (that is what search is for) heated grips are the beesnees and best lowest cost mod that can be done on a bike. The oxfords work well for me but be warned - connect via a switched feed to prevent battery run down if left on. Yes I know that Oxford have a low voltage turn off feature that prevents the battery being flattened, however, if the grips are left on overnight there will only be enough juice left to light the lights up but not crank the motor. Trust me - I know and now have a relay switched feed.

Flip
1st May 2010, 16:35
Yep, I've got 'em too and I wouldn't have a bike without them (unless it was a race bike. Mmmm race bike...) . Anyway, last winter even in Aucks we had a few early mornings that were sub 7C, and I recall riding to work in 0C one day (wind chill @100km/h= -11C). So yeah, it does get nippy. That particular morning was before I got heated grips, and was the reason I bought them. Worth every cent. They'll be the first mod to my new bike.

You Aucklanders make me laugh. Sub 7 deg C.

A few years ago it dropped to -14 C at the brass monkey. We got up and it warmed to -7 by the time we got to Alexender.

dipshit
1st May 2010, 16:41
The only thing I didn't like about the heated grips that I fitted to my last bike - was that they were thicker in diameter and made it uncomfortable for me and my hands. It ruined the feel through the handlebars for me.

Next time the winter gets the better of me, I may look at heated gloves instead.

CookMySock
1st May 2010, 17:17
The only thing I didn't like about the heated grips that I fitted to my last bike - was that they were thicker in diameter and made it uncomfortable for me and my hands. It ruined the feel through the handlebars for me.This bothered me for while, but after using the fatter grips I found they put a lot less pressure on my hands. Going back to the thin (non hotgrip) grips was quite painful. Mind you, I leaned on the bars quite heavily in those days. :oops:

Next time the winter gets the better of me, I may look at heated gloves instead.Get some daytona hothands and shove them up your sleeves or gloves.

Steve

Flip
1st May 2010, 17:53
Thats because you have girls hands DB.

You should try riding something with real mans 1" bars not 7/8".

p.dath
1st May 2010, 18:12
The downside of not using a relay, is that if you have a short with your added on accessory it could drawn large current through the bike's wiring loom causing lots of damage. What is the build quality of your added on accessory... is it exposed to the driving rain... how many years is likely to be on the bike...? If it ever fails and develops a short, it could cause damage to the bike's electronics and wiring that you have tapped into. You would be relying on bike's fuses to stop the damage in time.

The safe way is to wire the accessory directly to the battery with its own fuse. But then of course it will be live all the time, so if you forget to turn it off it will run your battery down. So then you put a relay between the accessory and the battery and trigger it via an ignition on source.

I'm just fitting some heated grips, and have just had to make that decision. I actually bought a relay with the intention of using one, but have come to the conclusion it wont be necessary.

All of the systems coming off the ignition system on my bike have 10A fuses (which themselves are protected by a 30A fuse). One of those fuses powers the horn, tail light, and indicators. I've caluclated the peak load on the fuse at the moment will be 3.9A. The peak load the heated grips can apply is 4A, making the total peak load 7.9A, or less than 80% of the fuses rated capacity. But the nominal load is likely to be much lower.

The heated grips themselves have a 4A inline fuse, so even if they malfunction, that 4A fuse should blow before the bikes 10A fuse trips.

So after considering everything, there was no point to fitting an additional relay to move the load onto a seperate system when an existing one has plenty of capacity.

Coldrider
1st May 2010, 19:00

The safe way is to wire the accessory directly to the battery with its own fuse. But then of course it will be live all the time, so if you forget to turn it off it will run your battery down. So then you put a relay between the accessory and the battery and trigger it via an ignition on source.Mine is fitted with an inline fuse.
How does a rely inhibit an overcurrent being drawn by the grips if a deadshort happens?

dipshit
1st May 2010, 19:38
Mine is fitted with an inline fuse.
How does a rely inhibit an overcurrent being drawn by the grips if a deadshort happens?

The difference being an accessory connected directly to the battery via a relay will not draw current through the bike's own wiring harness or electrics. It's just a bit safer and a way to avoid future problems down the track.

Imaging someone that ran an accessory that was tapped into the headlight power. A short of the accessory could blow the headlight fuse and kill your lights right in the middle of a ride on a dark stormy night. You may as well try to avoid any problems like that.

Coldrider
1st May 2010, 20:00
A rely is merely a remote switching device. Used correctly it can reduce the lenght of power cable required to power a device, from source to load, thus also reducing voltage drop.
That is all a rely does. A rely if specified may also have stronger contacts for switching loads.

sunhuntin
1st May 2010, 21:13
so, can heated grips be activated by a switch, like indicators or high/low beam, or do they have to be hard wired on so they run constantly?

if i get a pair, i will get the boys at work to fit them for me [basically free. gotta love work perks] and want to make sure they will do it right.

dipshit
1st May 2010, 21:34
so, can heated grips be activated by a switch, like indicators or high/low beam, or do they have to be hard wired on so they run constantly?

They will have their own switch that you mount somewhere.

Plus it (the switch) should only be powered when the ignition is on.

SPP
1st May 2010, 23:07
I've drawn up a quick pic which may help.

Using a relay is best but plenty of people connect in parallel without issues. The relay isolates the Hot-Grip circuit and any low current feed can be used to activate it.

Note: A relay will close (or open) when current is passed through it from another circuit e.g. I've shown an ignition switch and headlight as an example.

Coldrider
2nd May 2010, 20:10
The fuse splitter should be fed from the load side of the ignition switch anyway (with ignition off, what circuits actually work ?).
A relay will be the weak link introduced to the system. A coil wound of really fine wire with its inductance limiting its load. When the plunger operating the contacts gets sticky or the contacts burn up due to the dc resistive load, the relay coil will burn up, at least the coil will act as its own fuse it will open circuit. I've replaced many in my lifetime, you never forget the smell.

sunhuntin
2nd May 2010, 20:53
They will have their own switch that you mount somewhere.

Plus it (the switch) should only be powered when the ignition is on.

sweet as. thanks for that :)

007XX
3rd May 2010, 09:58
sweet as. thanks for that :)

I swear by mine, get some! Oxfords one definitely :yes:

Maha
3rd May 2010, 10:02

I have been doing that for years now.

zealchick
3rd May 2010, 17:07
OK sooo.... I got some!! Put them on last night, they are THE BOMB!!!! Thanks every one for your opinions/suggestions/instructions/advice etc :ride:

Qkchk
3rd May 2010, 17:24
2 Words.

Hell Yes!

Had them on the DR650, the VFR800 and now on the Bking. Wouldn't leave home (for any extended road trip) without them.

BiK3RChiK
3rd May 2010, 17:27
Awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

PrincessBandit
3rd May 2010, 18:50
I have Oxfords on my bandit and they're the beez neez. Yes, even in Auckland it can get cold enough to use them!!!
Funnily enough the topside of my fingers still get cold, but my palms are toasty. I've never had them on full at 100%, 75% is the hottest I've ever used them.

There are plenty of us sooks living here in Auckland, so join the club!

zealchick
3rd May 2010, 19:36
I have Oxfords on my bandit and they're the beez neez. Yes, even in Auckland it can get cold enough to use them!!!
Funnily enough the topside of my fingers still get cold, but my palms are toasty. I've never had them on full at 100%, 75% is the hottest I've ever used them.

There are plenty of us sooks living here in Auckland, so join the club!

I had them on 30% today perfect!!! newest member to the sook club:hug:

Owl
3rd May 2010, 20:15
I had them on 30% today perfect!!! newest member to the sook club:hug:

Sook's right................ I can handle the whole 100% no trouble at all:cool:

zealchick
3rd May 2010, 20:23
Sook's right................ I can handle the whole 100% no trouble at all:cool:

Just need a bit of time to climatise...... they'll be at 100% before the weeks out:eek:
might even get really sooky and check out heated vests :yes:

CookMySock
3rd May 2010, 20:45
might even get really sooky and check out heated vests :yes:Heated vests + really good rain tyres = total joy!

I love riding in the rain. It's misty, perfect, and beautiful! It kinda wisps around you while you zap along - ethereal! As long as the speed is kept up your visor stays clear, and with your heated gear you stay warm and toasty. Not what I expected.

Steve

scracha
3rd May 2010, 20:50
Heated grips? That's why bikes have hot engines and exhausts silly. Every rider in Scotland learns to work the throttle with both hands so they can alternate putting their fingers on the hot bits of the bike.

DB....heated bars maybe but heated vest..............what are you....70? Buy a fuggin volvo.

p.dath
3rd May 2010, 21:01
OK sooo.... I got some!! Put them on last night, they are THE BOMB!!!! Thanks every one for your opinions/suggestions/instructions/advice etc :ride:

Did you go for the overgrips (that go over your existing grips), or the grips themselves (where you remove the existing grips and install the new ones).

You're making me feel like a retard. I just got some of the new grips as well (which replace the existing grips), and I've spent about two evenings on it so far. I had an absolute bitch of a time with the left bar, as it was oversize (22.3mm in diameter instead of 22mm, had to do a bit of sanding to get the diameter down). When I took the bar end weights off I discovered both internal bar eights were broken, and one of them was a real bitch to get out (replacement bits arrived today,[thank you Econohonda]). I keep paralyzing myself with choices (I've decided to wire it into an ignition switchable circuit) such as whether to use a relay or not, and which circuit to break into, and where to mount the controller, where to run the wires, etc.

Got to pick up a few more bits tomorrow (need more wire crimps and one more wire) - so hoping to have it finished tomorrow. Will give glue 24 hours to set, so plan to get the bike back on the road for Wednesday.

davebullet
3rd May 2010, 21:07
Did you go for the overgrips (that go over your existing grips), or the grips themselves (where you remove the existing grips and install the new ones).

You're making me feel like a retard. I just got some of the new grips as well (which replace the existing grips), and I've spent about two evenings on it so far. I had an absolute bitch of a time with the left bar, as it was oversize (22.3mm in diameter instead of 22mm, had to do a bit of sanding to get the diameter down). When I took the bar end weights off I discovered both internal bar eights were broken, and one of them was a real bitch to get out (replacement bits arrived today,[thank you Econohonda]). I keep paralyzing myself with choices (I've decided to wire it into an ignition switchable circuit) such as whether to use a relay or not, and which circuit to break into, and where to mount the controller, where to run the wires, etc.

Got to pick up a few more bits tomorrow (need more wire crimps and one more wire) - so hoping to have it finished tomorrow. Will give glue 24 hours to set, so plan to get the bike back on the road for Wednesday.

Yeah - I'ts a good idea to wire in a relay... you won't regret it. If you are reading this and thinking of grips, you will regret not wiring in a relay when you forget to turn them off leading to a dead battery in the middle of winter.

CookMySock
3rd May 2010, 21:10
DB....heated bars maybe but heated vest..............what are you....70? Buy a fuggin volvo.You try riding from the bay of plenty to wellington non stop through the desert road in the winter. I bet you can't. You'll end up pushing your bike to warm up.

Heated vests aren't about comfort. They're about options - options you didn't have before.

Steve

p.dath
3rd May 2010, 21:11
Yeah - I'ts a good idea to wire in a relay... you won't regret it. If you are reading this and thinking of grips, you will regret not wiring in a relay when you forget to turn them off leading to a dead battery in the middle of winter.

I have a switched ignition circuit with plenty of spare capacity to power the 4A needed for the grips, but I've already bought the relay, and have a wire running from the battery to where I want the relay to go now, so I guess I'll use the relay.

zealchick
3rd May 2010, 21:16

We removed the old grips, it was a bit fidly more so hiding cables and leaving enough play for the steering etc, tank on tank off. (few choice words) I do actually have to remove the left one and re glue as it hasn't set properly. but they went on easy enough no trimming required. We hav'nt wired it to the ignition so i do have to add that to my "park bike routine" or i guess i'll be getting a quick lesson in jump starting lol ( so all going well i'll have toasty warm hands for wednesday night:rockon:

CookMySock
3rd May 2010, 21:26
I do actually have to remove the left one and re glue as it hasn't set properly.This is a common fault. I've tried all sorts of glues to no avail. Next I'm gunna try gorilla grip.

Steve

vifferman
3rd May 2010, 21:33
I didn't glue the left one on - just the throttle side. And for that (just in case I ever have to remove them), I used the glue sparingly, as it was a pretty snug fit anyway. Before I put either one on, I had to spend a bit of time removing excess rubbery bits from the insides with a round bastard file.

hellokitty
3rd May 2010, 21:38
I paid the guy at the bike shop to put my heated hand grips on! Better than screwing it up by me trying to do it.
easy!

CookMySock
3rd May 2010, 21:47
Before I put either one on, I had to spend a bit of time removing excess rubbery bits from the insides with a round bastard file.So did I, and I wish I hadn't. They should be a really tight fit.

Steve

Beemer
4th May 2010, 09:45
They are wonderful, doubt I would have coped with a two-week trip around the South Island in late autumn without them! I always suffer from cold hands so I found heated grips kept me a bit more relaxed because I didn't have to grip the bars so tightly to actually feel anything. Mind you, I'm an electric blanket and heated vest fan, so anything that keeps me warm is welcome!

hogfire
4th May 2010, 12:04
Yeah they are real good!

DMNTD
4th May 2010, 12:15
I didn't glue the left one on - just the throttle side. And for that (just in case I ever have to remove them), I used the glue sparingly, as it was a pretty snug fit anyway. Before I put either one on, I had to spend a bit of time removing excess rubbery bits from the insides with a round bastard file.

A 2 second blast either side with an airgun sorts the glue 'n grips ;)

scracha
4th May 2010, 18:42
You try riding from the bay of plenty to wellington non stop through the desert road in the winter. I bet you can't. You'll end up pushing your bike to warm up.

I bet I can. Try picking up your new bike in Southampton and arriving in Stirling at 3.30am in November, shitting yourself when it starts snowing around Carlisle. I spit on your pathetically warm Desert Road. Shit, I lost count of the times I had to get a lighter to heat my petrol lock key so I could turn it as it had frozen.

Heated vests aren't about comfort. They're about options - options you didn't have before.

I know you're really old and that New Zealand is 100 years behind civilisation but they were available when I was 16.

As many a Kiwi has said to me.....you need some harden the fuck up pills.

p.dath
5th May 2010, 01:33
If you feel like a long read, I've just blog'd on my experience of fitting Oxford Hotgrips. If you're thinking about fitting them and haven't yet then perhaps you might gain something from my experience.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/entry.php/1529-Fitting-Oxford-HotGrips

Mully
5th May 2010, 16:44
I've got some to fit.

Which will be done this weekend when I get to my local workshop *cough*Frosty's Yard*cough*

sinned
5th May 2010, 19:44
If you feel like a long read, I've just blog'd on my experience of fitting Oxford Hotgrips. If you're thinking about fitting them and haven't yet then perhaps you might gain something from my experience.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/entry.php/1529-Fitting-Oxford-HotGrips

Very good write up. This reminded me why I took the easy option and paid Wellington Motorcycles to fit them for me.

CookMySock
5th May 2010, 21:09
Fitting them on the hyo's is a bit of a bother, as the throttle tube has to be modified.

Steve

p.dath
6th May 2010, 06:10
Fitting them on the hyo's is a bit of a bother, as the throttle tube has to be modified.

Steve

You see, that's the kind of thing it doesn't mention in the advertising on the outside of the packet ...

CookMySock
6th May 2010, 09:23
You see, that's the kind of thing it doesn't mention in the advertising on the outside of the packet ...It's nothing the 4" angle grinder won't fix. :niceone:

Steve

quickbuck
6th May 2010, 17:58

We are talking heated grips here right? Not Bra....

zealchick
6th May 2010, 18:09
We are talking heated grips here right? Not Bra....

Say.... a heated bra?? hmm that could be next:2thumbsup

quickbuck
6th May 2010, 18:14
Say.... a heated bra?? hmm that could be next:2thumbsup
Hmmm,
I wonder......

zealchick
6th May 2010, 18:41
Hmmm,
I wonder......

My poor wee bike will need one hell of a battery to power all the accessories...... on the up side we learnt to jump start last night:lol:

hellokitty
9th May 2010, 15:23
I went for a longish ride today in the rain, used my heated handgrips for the first time - I love them!!!!!! :yes: For the first time since using my new bike, which has much bigger handgrips than I am use to - my thumb (which has the joint pinned/fused as it is full of athritis) didn't ache at all!!!
Awesome :Punk: I am so happy that my thumb isn't hurting like it usually does.

bittertwistedcute
9th May 2010, 17:01
Fantastic, the more comfortable and relaxed - the more we enjoy the ride : )

I went for a longish ride today in the rain, used my heated handgrips for the first time - I love them!!!!!! :yes: For the first time since using my new bike, which has much bigger handgrips than I am use to - my thumb (which has the joint pinned/fused as it is full of athritis) didn't ache at all!!!
Awesome :Punk: I am so happy that my thumb isn't hurting like it usually does.

hellokitty
9th May 2010, 17:47
I am such a dork, but I am excited by the fact I don't have to load up with painkillers and a hotpack to try to stop my thumb hurting.
And I had an awesome ride today, on my awesome new bike!
And I got a huge compliment - my Dad said I am riding really well, not like a newbie at all! Said I looked like I had been doing it for years.

Rogue Rider
9th May 2010, 18:28
There is a much simpler and cheaper method. Its not too technical to do and the boys in southland might have a clue about this. The Mainland way is highly recommended to North Islanders..... Take 2 teaspoons of cement, twice daily for 3 days and harden the %^%$ up lol............

All that aside, I could be tempted, after hearing reviews from you guys about the oxford grips, priced some today and they said they would fit them for free...... They are cheap as.

Owl
9th May 2010, 18:39
All that aside, I could be tempted, after hearing reviews from you guys about the oxford grips, priced some today and they said they would fit them for free...... They are cheap as.

Just be aware that the supplied mount won't fit your Triple and you'll need to make something.

CookMySock
9th May 2010, 18:55
Fantastic, the more comfortable and relaxed - the more we enjoy the ride : )And the further you can ride. Long trips on cold days are now possible. :niceone:

Steve

Flip
9th May 2010, 22:10
Went for a ride this morning on my old shitter and I was very happy I had found a shop that had a set of those oxford wrap around heaters as well. I have old fitter hands and they give me heaps of pain these days when they get cold. The only downside is they are on or off, the ones on the Harley are thermostatically controlled.

zealchick
10th May 2010, 21:24
I am such a dork, but I am excited by the fact I don't have to load up with painkillers and a hotpack to try to stop my thumb hurting.
And I had an awesome ride today, on my awesome new bike!
And I got a huge compliment - my Dad said I am riding really well, not like a newbie at all! Said I looked like I had been doing it for years.

Awesome! would love to catch up and do a ride sometime soon :-) Generally sundays work better for me.

hellokitty
11th May 2010, 06:45
Awesome! would love to catch up and do a ride sometime soon :-) Generally sundays work better for me.
Cool! Just p.m me - Sundays are best for me too

mazz1972
12th May 2010, 15:06
I love my hotgrips, wouldn't be without them.

Suggest you always hang on to your receipts when you buy them. We've had two control (switch) units fail and one was replaced under warranty. You can buy just the control unit for about $90 odd but we got a whole new set of grips for $57 on a Cycletreads super special. They used to have a 2 year warranty but not sure what it is now.

There is the "Hot Grips" brand as well which I had on my quad bike. Only pain in the ass is they don't have variable temperature control (they are either on or off) and some people find them too hot.

trailblazer
20th May 2010, 23:02
just got a set of oxford hot grips fitted to my bike today with the temp control and i must say it makes riding in the cold and rain a much more pleasant experiance.:2thumbsup

p.dath
21st May 2010, 07:48
just got a set of oxford hot grips fitted to my bike today with the temp control and i must say it makes riding in the cold and rain a much more pleasant experiance.:2thumbsup

While riding on Wednesday night I noticed one interesting thing. My upper body and arms were starting to get a bit cold. My hands felt ok. But I thought, what the hell, and turned on the heated grips.
It's funny how it works, but my whole body felt warmer - just because my hands felt warmer. Weird.

zealchick
21st May 2010, 18:04
While riding on Wednesday night I noticed one interesting thing. My upper body and arms were starting to get a bit cold. My hands felt ok. But I thought, what the hell, and turned on the heated grips.
It's funny how it works, but my whole body felt warmer - just because my hands felt warmer. Weird.

I rode the whole ride with them on was toasty warm :-) forgot to turn them on when i left albany, almost home when i wondered why i had started shivering?? doh!!

CookMySock
21st May 2010, 19:34
I hiffed the controller out and mine stay on all full-boogie the time. In the winter it is very rare I turn them off.

Steve