PDA

View Full Version : Up you Nick

k1w160
29th April 2010, 20:33
The rego is due on my SV1KS today, but this year I doubt I even rode it 6 times over the summer months due to work commitments; and a race bike I'm trying to get ready for next season.

So after thinking about it for a while, I went onto to the NZTA website and put the rego on hold for 6 months.

I've always kept my bikes rego current in the past just in case a fine day came along over winter and I felt like a ride, but what with Nick 'The Weasel' Smith hiking the ACC, this is also a way to say UP YOU NICK - your not getting extra from me.:motu:

I'll follow through with a politely worded email to The Weasel and voice my lack of agreement with his policiy in a professional manner, and if more of us do this (if it suits you to park the bike), then maybe he'll actually start to think - Nah...............

Mom
29th April 2010, 21:17
The rego is due on my SV1KS today, but this year I doubt I even rode it 6 times over the summer months due to work commitments; and a race bike I'm trying to get ready for next season.

So after thinking about it for a while, I went onto to the NZTA website and put the rego on hold for 6 months.

I've always kept my bikes rego current in the past just in case a fine day came along over winter and I felt like a ride, but what with Nick 'The Weasel' Smith hiking the ACC, this is also a way to say UP YOU NICK - your not getting extra from me.:motu:

I'll follow through with a politely worded email to The Weasel and voice my lack of agreement with his policiy in a professional manner, and if more of us do this (if it suits you to park the bike), then maybe he'll actually start to think - Nah...............

My rego is also on hold.

We are still protesting these unfair and discriminatory levy hikes.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=2507&day=2010-5-1&c=0

Come and join us.

Mully
29th April 2010, 21:58
My rego is also on hold.

Yeah, but your bike wont start most of the time, so that's no big loss......

Eh, Annie??

Meanie
29th April 2010, 22:01
Nice one, I plan to do the same and still ride my bike

mrchips
29th April 2010, 22:37
I will be paying Rego fees for both my car & bike with a smile.

My car & bike are an extension of who i am, they are part of me & I will go without the meaningless things in life like food, showers & sex before i give up my wheels. :lol:

CookMySock
29th April 2010, 22:43
Yup one of our 650's is on hold. They can fucking sing for their three hundred bucks. :finger:

Steve

willytheekid
30th April 2010, 00:29
Im due in the next few months too (been on hold since dec 4 a clutch job)......guess I should remove the current "insert" in my rego holder....it reads-
" I have private medical insurance thanks! ACC....go F*@k yourself !".
Been waiting for a cop to notice....but they don't stop GUZZI'S lol :P

-having to pay extra for the right to die by cop car u-turn...just ridiculous!

slofox
30th April 2010, 07:52
I've been really sensible about all this - I have swapped out the SVS for a gixxer 600, so pay less fees...It's an obvious choice - ACC levies are lower for the gixxer so it must be safer, eh? Must be - the gummint tells me so...(despite the extra 60% or so power...)

As for "then maybe he'll actually start to think"...I doubt it too...

Tank
30th April 2010, 09:31
Yup one of our 650's is on hold. They can fucking sing for their three hundred bucks. :finger:

Steve

I really dont understand it. If you have a bike and cant use it - its not Nick Smith that misses out (fuck hes wont even know or give a shit if he did) - you do.

OK - I can understand it with a hyoshit - I wouldn't want to be seen on the thing on the road either - but for people with nice bikes - its such a waste and only you lose.

I wait with interest to see who is the first to waaaaaaaaa (tm) like a stuck bitch when they cop a huge fine for riding with no rego.

Me - I just pay mine - its part of the cost of riding.

Mully
30th April 2010, 10:27
I really dont understand it. If you have a bike and cant use it - its not Nick Smith that misses out (fuck hes wont even know or give a shit if he did) - you do.

I wait with interest to see who is the first to waaaaaaaaa (tm) like a stuck bitch when they cop a huge fine for riding with no rego.

Me - I just pay mine - its part of the cost of riding.

Agreed. It's bit of cutting your nose off to spite your face. Unless you never used the bike in the rain - in which case you should have been putting the rego on hold anyway, IMO

I suspect the fine for no rego will increase shortly as well.

I look forward to the Waaaaaa (tm) threads, actually.

bogan
30th April 2010, 10:36
Me thinks it may also be phase two of get those filthy bikers off our roads.
Phase one was remove the financial incentive to ride instead of drive
Phase two is ticket the ones without a rego, but gives and excuse to target them all
Somewhere in there is probably a media smear campaign to remove public sympathy
Phase three may be mandatory safety gear? who wants an orange vest!

If I was a weekend wariior I would consider putting it on hold. In the weekends I'll just ride my dirtbike anyway, that must be really safe cos I don't pay a cent to ACC for it.

StoneY
30th April 2010, 10:38
I have 3 bikes in the BIG fee range
I like to ride any one of them at a whim
My strategy has been to time all to run out within 1 month of July 1 and buy 15 whole months on each bike at this current rate, but post shops have been 'running out' of the form to do this (think Nicky ensiured none were printed for this very reason?)

Even if i get 12 months on each, it will still save me 360$ for one year.

I hate paying it, but like Tank says, its a cost of riding.
Fair? HELL NO
What can I do about it?
Already done all I could....BIKEOI'd and annoyed the nats at parties, submitted to ACC, opened a Wellington branch of BRONZ.............

Still gotta pay the ferryman sadly

Badjelly
30th April 2010, 15:04
...I will go without the meaningless things in life like food, showers & sex before i give up my wheels....

Yeah, I know the feeling, the shower I had last night was pretty meaningless. :mellow:

Coldrider
30th April 2010, 15:21
Just went and got me a stockup on MR27's.

StoneY
30th April 2010, 15:31
Just went and got me a stockup on MR27's.

Oh wow cool. Got 3 spare mate?
LOL

Ixion
30th April 2010, 16:13
Fair? HELL NO What can I do about it?

This is pure arithmetic.

If you have three bikes , that's roughly $1500 pa. Six bikes is worse!

If you don't register you risk a $200 fine. But of course you can get more than one fine in a year.

However, although you must license three bikes you can only ever ride one at a time.

Rego is not something the police (at present) tend to worry much about - it's a thing you get pinged for if you are stopped for something else. So, if you don't often park in places with parking wardens (I don't) , and you don't regularly get stopped by the cops for naughtiness (I don't) , then the only thing to worry about is the roadside checkpoints they run from time to time (not the booze bus ones, they don't check WoF even)

In my experience, that's at most once a year. But, say three times , as a worst case scenario. Three @ $200 a time is $600. You're $900 ahead.

Slight downside is that having an expired rego makes it harder to talk your way out of a minor infringment . But, there are a few things you can do to swing matters a bit more your way. For a start I put my WoF in a very conspicuous place on the front of the bike , and as I trickle up to the checkpoint I point to it. Cop sees current WoF and most of the time will wave you through.

Also, if you have multiple bikes, like as not one of them is your daily commuter,and that gets the majority of trips (maybe not majority of kilometres, but the risk of a checkpoint on a lonely country road is near zero). So, I register the Yamaha, which is my commuter, I reckon that takes care of half (at least) of the exposure. On that basis I reckon that the cost is $500 + one fine every two years, = $100 pa , total pa $600. Same saving, but like as not if I am stopped I'm good anyway. $900 a year better off for three bikes , $2400 for six!

It's all just arithmetic. Cost of rego'ing everything versus likely number of fines per year * $200

Coldrider
30th April 2010, 17:52
LOLironically they were not on the counter, I had to ask for them, oh an MR27, what is that one for.....but not a conspiracy theory though,...yet.

Mom
30th April 2010, 17:54
My bike has never displayed a current registration sticker in the entire time we have owned it, oh, apart from when someone stuck it to the rear guard for me, I took it off. Usually it resides in my pants pocket, there is no holder you see. I also live rurally, and am unlikely to get pulled up in a random checkpoint. I understand that they are not so easy to avoid in the smoke. The main reason my rego is on hold is because I have been unable to ride for a few months, due to injury (non bike), I doubt it will come off hold anytime soon despite the fact that my foot is better.

I am happy to risk a ticket, should I be unlucky enough to get pulled over.

SPman
30th April 2010, 19:51
You're all bad people!
Oops - I have to rego. the 1300 this month....I'll just Epay the $225 for the year now............

davereid
30th April 2010, 21:34
Just done my second oil change on the 650 since my rego went on hold, so thats 6000km now without a ticket, including the entire run from here to the Burt Monroe rego-less. I'll pay the no-rego fine if I get it, but with 3 bikes, the odds and maths are currently in my favour.

If they change the fine, or introduce cameras that can ping rego numbers things might change.

Anyone got a plate and vin number for a kawasaki 250 ? might be time for a lower cc rating...

tig99
1st May 2010, 20:01
This is pure arithmetic.

If you have three bikes , that's roughly $1500 pa. Six bikes is worse!

If you don't register you risk a $200 fine. But of course you can get more than one fine in a year.

However, although you must license three bikes you can only ever ride one at a time.

Rego is not something the police (at present) tend to worry much about - it's a thing you get pinged for if you are stopped for something else. So, if you don't often park in places with parking wardens (I don't) , and you don't regularly get stopped by the cops for naughtiness (I don't) , then the only thing to worry about is the roadside checkpoints they run from time to time (not the booze bus ones, they don't check WoF even)

In my experience, that's at most once a year. But, say three times , as a worst case scenario. Three @ $200 a time is $600. You're $900 ahead.

Slight downside is that having an expired rego makes it harder to talk your way out of a minor infringment . But, there are a few things you can do to swing matters a bit more your way. For a start I put my WoF in a very conspicuous place on the front of the bike , and as I trickle up to the checkpoint I point to it. Cop sees current WoF and most of the time will wave you through.

Also, if you have multiple bikes, like as not one of them is your daily commuter,and that gets the majority of trips (maybe not majority of kilometres, but the risk of a checkpoint on a lonely country road is near zero). So, I register the Yamaha, which is my commuter, I reckon that takes care of half (at least) of the exposure. On that basis I reckon that the cost is $500 + one fine every two years, = $100 pa , total pa $600. Same saving, but like as not if I am stopped I'm good anyway. $900 a year better off for three bikes , $2400 for six!

It's all just arithmetic. Cost of rego'ing everything versus likely number of fines per year * $200

Another thing to consider if you go down the 'no registration road' is that if involved in accident, being unregisterd will give insurance companies the opportunity to deny a claim. I have three bikes one is a farm bike triumph tiger 900, the other two are registered and will be doing the MR27 thing. Pays your money, takes your choice.

Coldrider
1st May 2010, 20:11
Another thing to consider if you go down the 'no registration road' is that if involved in accident, being unregisterd will give insurance companies the opportunity to deny a claim. I have three bikes one is a farm bike triumph tiger 900, the other two are registered and will be doing the MR27 thing. Pays your money, takes your choice.the no rego and insurance path is well covered on other threads, do a search.

Spearfish
2nd May 2010, 23:45
You can legally ride on a "held" rego if riding to a WoF testing facility, just carry a list of rego points on your path, bit like riding to Hamilton for a hamburger (Auckland thing lol). Could be a problem after normal business hours tho but vtnz is open Sundays for an excuse.

breakaway
3rd May 2010, 10:29
LOL

https://transact.nzta.govt.nz/transactions/LicensingExemption/entry.aspx

Yes, it's free. And you don't even have to get off your ass.