PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Visor?

Zed
21st May 2005, 00:58
99.9% of the time I ride with a tinted visor but they tend to be a major hindrance at night you see, not that I ride at night, but sometimes I get caught out!

Do any of you who use a tinted visor actually carry your clear visor with you on your bike 'just in case'? Maybe it's something I'll begin practising? :cool:

Zapf
21st May 2005, 01:33
I do.... I carry the clear one on long day rides.... usually by the time we are heading home a clear visor is a good swap.

John
21st May 2005, 03:19
Well I learnt my lesson the hard way, I was in auckland to see some friends and ended up leaving late, I got off the motorway at about 7:30 to fill up at orewa, I had tried riding with my helmet up unsuccessfully and I was rather stressed about the situation, I couldn't have gone anthor 2 hours to get to whangarei with my chrome visor, I was shit scared trying to figure out what to do, luckly I got a cellphone call at that time from a friend who offered a bed to me, as of now - I always take a spare visor (Well at the moment I only have one the chrome one got totaled in the crash)

You live and learn I guess.

Skyryder
21st May 2005, 06:20
Always use clear. Much easier to take off sunglasses than carry spare visor and change.

Skyryder

Will
21st May 2005, 06:32
Always use clear. Much easier to take off sunglasses than carry spare visor and change.

Skyryder

Same here.

jimbo600
21st May 2005, 08:07
I often carry my clear visor. Handy for when a stone fucks your tinted one too.

Zed
21st May 2005, 08:35
I often carry my clear visor. Handy for when a stone fucks your tinted one too.Talking about "stones", I once bought a nice new mirrored visor and within a week it was totalled because this truck I was following sprayed up gravel which put about 20 big dots across the visor! That was the first and last mirror visor I'll ever buy. :mad:

I've already got a couple of good stone marks on my new shoei tint, it's pretty darn tough though and would take a decent size pebble to ruin it me thinks?

stify
21st May 2005, 09:05

I end up staring at the reflection of me nose and sun glasses inside me visor when it gets a bit bright out there,thinking of going to tint visor instead of sunnies are they any better??,
and i always carry spare visor with fog insert for that just in case moment

White trash
21st May 2005, 09:26
I often carry my clear visor. Handy for when a stone fucks your tinted one too.

Shouldn't get passed by so many bikes then.........

Skunk
21st May 2005, 09:31
I carry a clear and tinted quite often, mainly on longer rides.

Can't do the sunglasses thing as I've got glasses already... (and the photo-chromatic (sp?) is fucked on them.)

Yarg
21st May 2005, 09:47
Clear visor & sun glasses. easier to carry than another visor. :ride:

Zed
21st May 2005, 09:51
I end up staring at the reflection of me nose and sun glasses inside me visor when it gets a bit bright out there,thinking of going to tint visor instead of sunnies are they any better??,
and i always carry spare visor with fog insert for that just in case momentI wore sunglasses for years before deciding to try a tinted visor - I'll never revert back to sunnies again! The practicalities of a tinted visor far outweight sunglasses IMHO:

Blocks the sun/glare across the whole visor instead of just around your eyes.
No need to remember to take off your glasses when putting on & removing your helmet. Have you ever forgotten to take off your sunnies when putting your helmet on? It hurts your head and the glasses!
There is always the option to replace the tinted one with clear when riding at night or in dull light. (note to myself: must remember to start taking the clear one in my bag!!)
Try out the tinted visor stifarms, you'll be pleasantly surprised. I buy the medium tinted ones and not the really dark tint. :raghead:

the yoshie
21st May 2005, 10:12
If I am going ride late PM or dusk always take the clear visor with me the Dark visor on the Simpson is not good after daylight.

StoneChucker
21st May 2005, 10:32
I wore sunglasses for years before deciding to try a tinted visor - I'll never revert back to sunnies again! The practicalities of a tinted visor far outweight sunglasses IMHO:

No need to remember to take off your glasses when putting on & removing your helmet. Have you ever forgotten to take off your sunnies when putting your helmet on? It hurts your head and the glasses!
There is always the option to replace the tinted one with clear when riding at night or in dull light. (note to myself: must remember to start taking the clear one in my bag!!)
Try out the tinted visor stifarms, you'll be pleasantly surprised. I buy the medium tinted ones and not the really dark tint. :raghead:
Thats just all luverly duverly, but where the feck DO you STORE a clear visor on a sports bike, if you weren't planning on carrying a backpack?

Omg Omg, I've just had a shitwave... How about you get headlight protectors that double as half of a visor? (2 lights covers' = 1 complete visor) Then you just swap them around as need be!

Seriously though, I am now riding with my clear on all the time, because the last tinted visor I bought, the tint scratched off when I was cleaning it using that harsh service station paper and water!!! So, my NEXT tinted visor will be tinted plastic, not clear plastic with a layer of shiny shit over it!

Oh, you can ride at night with some tints. While it's not ideal, the one I had provided enough visibility to make it home (Note, not set out on a trip, or make it to Auck from Invers)

Slim
21st May 2005, 10:40
Oxford make a visor carrier which the slimmer amongst us can wear under our jacket with the visor curve hugging the side of our waist. (I can picture this, but having problems describing it ... sorry).

On long trips, I pack the clear visor in my pack, near the top, but for to & from work, I carry a pair of clear safety glasses in my tankbag so that if I'm caught out after dark, then I can ride with the visor up & my safety classes protecting my eyes. :) Thanks to The Man for that suggestion. :niceone:

Ms Piggy
21st May 2005, 10:47
I wore sunglasses for years before deciding to try a tinted visor - I'll never revert back to sunnies again! The practicalities of a tinted visor far outweight sunglasses IMHO:

Yeah I love my tinted visor but I quite often ride at night so have had to swap back to the clear one, I think I'll start carrying both though. The glare at the moment on a sunny day is terrible.

Ixion
21st May 2005, 10:56
99.9% of the time I ride with a tinted visor but they tend to be a major hindrance at night you see, not that I ride at night, but sometimes I get caught out!

Do any of you who use a tinted visor actually carry your clear visor with you on your bike 'just in case'? Maybe it's something I'll begin practising? :cool:

Well, you dont actually NEED a visor you know . Many of us rode for years before full face helmets were invented. Mark VIII goggles for long trips but most of the time nothing over the eyes. It's not a problem at legal speeds as long as you don't have to deal with sun glare. Which obviously you dont at night. I generally ride with my visor up around town at night, avoids that nasty star spangling.

Zed
21st May 2005, 10:57
Oxford make a visor carrier which the slimmer amongst us can wear under our jacket with the visor curve hugging the side of our waist. (I can picture this, but having problems describing it ... sorry).

On long trips, I pack the clear visor in my pack, near the top, but for to & from work, I carry a pair of clear safety glasses in my tankbag so that if I'm caught out after dark, then I can ride with the visor up & my safety classes protecting my eyes. :) Thanks to The Man for that suggestion. :niceone:A sensible reply Slim. That's a good idea about the clear glasses, didn't think of that option myself. Oh and what's this Mans name? Sounds like you're in love! :love:

I experience the dilemma of 'not riding with my packrack on' during my weekend rides, when I am also riding in a one-piece suit...not much room to store things and I'm fairly certain I would be uncomfortable wearing that visor carrier - another good idea that! There is stuff-all room under my seat for anything else but my toolkit too. :shutup: Under those circumstances I guess I just have to make sure I arrive home before dark...yet sometimes it's unavoidable.

Zed
21st May 2005, 11:10
Well, you dont actually NEED a visor you know . Many of us rode for years before full face helmets were invented. Mark VIII goggles for long trips but most of the time nothing over the eyes.Indeed wise Ixion, relations of mine have travelled to Hawaii several times and hired Hogs to ride around the islands on, it's not compulsory to wear a lid over there (you know) but you must wear glasses - they told me it was a great feeling of freedom, of which I can only imagine. :crybaby:

It's not a problem at legal speeds as long as you don't have to deal with sun glare. Which obviously you dont at night. I generally ride with my visor up around town at night, avoids that nasty star spangling.I love riding with my visor up in comfortable light and at relatively slow speeds, but I *enjoy* riding using a tinted visor more, especially when the "legal speeds" are exceeded! :D

stify
21st May 2005, 11:51
cheers all,
will be makin a visit to me local friendly shoei visor stockist near me soon
guna give it a go(gota be better than staring at reflections instead of road)

duno bout ridin wit no visor thou,i have trouble coping with the large influx
of oxygen at anything over 80k's.....starts the brain operating then have go home and park up bike and mow lawns an paint roof an fix door an an an an :no:

magnum
21st May 2005, 21:34
yes,carry in my bumbag or tankbag. :yes:

ANDIES
22nd May 2005, 11:27
I take it that wearing tinted/black visors are OK in NZ.
Here in the UK they are classed as illegal although a lot of bikers wear them and 90% of the time the police turn a blind eye to it.

:cool:

Zed
22nd May 2005, 11:56
Here in the UK they are classed as illegal although a lot of bikers wear them and 90% of the time the police turn a blind eye to it.

:cool:Well the bike/accessories shops would be breaking the law in selling them for road use if they were illegal! :D Heaps of motorcyclists wear them down here and I've never even discussed the notion of them possibly being illegal?

jimbo600
22nd May 2005, 13:12

:cool:

Dark visors, aftermarket end cans all legal down here mate. Plus our regulation license plates are about the same size as the cool looking illegal variety in the UK. The advantage is we don't have Europeans telling us what to do down here.

250learna
22nd May 2005, 18:07
since we only have few hours of daylight every 24hrs at this time of year, its better to have a clear one handy. Its now 6pm and outside is pitch black :mad:

zooter
22nd May 2005, 22:45

I do it the other way round and carry an emergency pair of sunnies

Lou Girardin
23rd May 2005, 09:17
Nolan have just released the VPS visor system for the N100, N101 hemets.
It's a tinted half visor that pivots independantly of the main one. It looks OK, but it won't shield all your face from the sun.

vifferman
23rd May 2005, 09:29
That's what I was going to do, but I like your next suggestion more!

On long trips, I pack the clear visor in my pack, near the top, but for to & from work, I carry a pair of clear safety glasses in my tankbag so that if I'm caught out after dark, then I can ride with the visor up & my safety classes protecting my eyes. :) Thanks to The Man for that suggestion. :niceone:
Excellent idea, and it's weird that I never thought of it, because prior to buying the AGV with a mirrored AND tinted visor, I used to always wear or carry sunnies, so this is like the reverse situation.
'Sfunny - the first few years I rode bikes, I only ever wore a visor on my helmet if it was very cold and/or wet. Same with gloves. :eek: Yet recently I work a little late, and got caught out at dusk with my dark visor on, and had to ride with it up after the sun went down (admittedly, at 50km/h only, but I was freaking out: "What to do! What to do!??!") So the AGV now has the clear visor on again, just in case it gets too dark.

My first accident was caused by riding with a tinted visor on, at dusk, in drizzly weather. I pulled out of the driveway at work, didn't see a Mini coming, and clipped the side of it with my handlebar, pitching me off onto the road. Never wore it again. :no:

Krusti
23rd May 2005, 10:04
Just take the car ya bunch of pansies.....:killingme :msn-wink: :D :killingme

Wolf
23rd May 2005, 10:27
Just take the car and be a bunch of pansies.....:killingme :msn-wink: :D :killingme
Error-correction "courtesy" (???) of Wolf :devil2:

Krusti
23rd May 2005, 10:32
Error-correction "courtesy" (???) of Wolf :devil2:

:msn-wink: ...............:whistle:

ManDownUnder
23rd May 2005, 10:33

Skyryder

Yup - I'm with you on that one
MDU

Wolf
23rd May 2005, 10:54
Travelling through Desert Road in the wee small hours in this kinda sleety rain that seemed to be made of some kind of glue, would not clear from the visor, wiping just smeared it (OK, maybe the visor was just too old and scratched for the water to run off) and I needed both (numb) hands on the bars to contend with a slippery road, anyway.

I was reduced to a crawl with piss-poor visibility and I was terrified that I would fail to see a turn in time (not good on Desert Road...).

Fortunately I was carrying a spare lid - open face - with a pair of Air-Force type goggles - the ones with the flat glass panes - attached.

I parked up in a lay-by, took the goggles of the spare lid, pulled them down over the full face and rested them on the chin guard, opened the visor and forced the goggles into the opening. Rode on with bitterly cold sleet pouring in under the visor onto my face but at least I was able to see as the freezing "glue" didn't stick to the glass lenses.

They're great goggles - they have flat panes so they don't distort light passing through them - OK, you have a line running down your peripheral vision each side as each lense is two panes mounted at an angle to wrap around the face, but you're primarily looking out through a nice flat piece of armoured glass. Approaching lights are points rather than a warped smear across your vision (as I've found with curved plasic lenses and visors).

Bit of a mission jamming them on when wearing a full face-street helmet, though (Open face and trail helmets OK)

Marknz
23rd May 2005, 10:58

Yup. I usually ride with a full tint AGV jobbie, and carry the clear on either in my backpack, in the pack rack, on with my jacket and wrapped around my side. It's usually protected by one of those poly bags that you get with your helmet.

Ixion
23rd May 2005, 11:13
They're great goggles - they have flat panes so they don't distort light passing through them - OK, you have a line running down your peripheral vision each side as each lense is two panes mounted at an angle to wrap around the face, but you're primarily looking out through a nice flat piece of armoured glass. Approaching lights are points rather than a warped smear across your vision (as I've found with curved plasic lenses and visors).

Sound like Mark VIII's . To my mind still the best eye wear of all. But they don't work with full face lid. Sigh.

Once upon a time, you could get Mark VIII's with tinted lenses as well as clear. At the time that seemed a good idea. So I bought a pair. Only -- same prob as this thread, needed the clear ones for night wear. Was easy enough though, I just wore one pair on the front of the helmet the other pair on the back. Switched as necessary. Only problem was that the rear facing pair didn't have the little loop available to stop the strap slipping. I don't think helmets even HAVE that little loop nowdays, darn it.

You can still get Mark VIII replicas.

Wolf
23rd May 2005, 11:45
But they don't work with full face lid. Sigh.
Not comfortably, anyway - bitch of a job jamming them in the opening and getting them off later was a mission. Saved my life anyway, excelled where curved lexan didn't cut the mustard. Great visibility, loved them. Last time I wore them with the open face I ended up getting stung when a bee struck my face - in the thin gap between the top of the goggles and the edge of the helmet.

I'm pretty sure they were Mark VIIIs - replicas (vinyl pads, not leather), of course. I'm not quite old enough to have owned the originals. :msn-wink:

jimbo600
23rd May 2005, 12:23
Shouldn't get passed by so many bikes then.........

Whatever dog. It's actually from you mobile chicanes getting in my way.