PDA

View Full Version : Can you get from Hawarden onto Lees Valley / Okuku Pass Rd

Crim
1st May 2010, 15:21
A couple (hopefully 3) of us are going to head out on Wed / Thur and try getting from the Lees Valley Loop up to Hawarden - looking at the map it looks like you may be able to head "cross country" (looks like there may be a farm track or two) from Okuku Pass Road around about the river crossing and head straight North onto the end of Virginia Road, which then comes out at Hawarden, ChCh - Hawarden 80ks, Hawarden - end of Virginia Rd 40ks, 5 ks down onto Okuku Pass Road, 80 ks back to ChCh.
It is a simple plan on paper - few questions; has anyone done it, can it be done, anyone want to tag along (if you've got GPS and topo maps you will be tagging along from the front)
Cheers Crim

paulmac
1st May 2010, 15:24
You can but its private property !

Pampera
1st May 2010, 18:12
I have done it several times as part of organised Adventure rides but it is private (farm) land. MacDonald Down's is one of the stations involved - the race road there is two lanes wide!

Michael

cooneyr
2nd May 2010, 09:00
Yes you can. Like others have said you need to contact McDonald Down Station. I didn't arrange and don't have details but we got in there back in 2007 ($20 each) and were welcome back. Google earth file of easiest route attached but you may want to do some of the higher farm tracks rather than the gravel stock truck route.

Cheers R

Crim
2nd May 2010, 20:00
Thanks guys, all good info - I will give them a ring and try and jack it up - thanks for the map, Ryan - coming in from a different way than I was thinking but same intersection with Lees Valley Rd(by the way, how is the new addition to the family? - kicked your leg over the Griffon lately?)

cooneyr
3rd May 2010, 00:06
Griffon has done the work run a couple of times when I've been a bit knackered to ride the treadly. Still trying to get the little toad to go to sleep now - one of his worse nights but he's had a bit of a different day so can't blame him. Normally things go pretty well so not complaining too much.

Cheers R