PDA

View Full Version : Professional spray painter for bike frame needed

Her_C4
2nd May 2010, 18:47
Can anyone help me with the contact details for a reputable and reasonably priced professional painter in Wellington?

I have a stripped down RG150 with a frame that will need to be sandblasted and painted, and later - a set of race fairings.

Can organise for the frame to be manually sanded in prep if that is an issue.:Punk:

Pumba
2nd May 2010, 20:25
Crazyfox http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php/4949-crazefox

BIG DOUG
10th May 2010, 21:41
why don't you get the frame powdercoated tougher than car paint,and before any car painters start dribbling on about 2k being tougher it is not I have to mates who are painters and tight bastards and everthing I have reassembled for them has chipped or scratched easily I have had good luck with POWDER SURFACES in upper hutt good job and good price.

Owl
10th May 2010, 23:24
everything I have reassembled for them has chipped or scratched easily

Maybe you should be more careful then..................:whistle:

On a serious note though, I tend to agree and powder coating will be more durable and cost effective. I've had parts powder coated in the past for that reason and yes, I am a car painter.:msn-wink:

FROSTY
11th May 2010, 09:50
Normally Id agree with you guys but one word stopped me cold-RACE.
Powdercoating is great stuff and I agree totally a lot more durable than paint but its one flaw is it cant simply be touched up. If the bikes intended for race use then I feel a more "normal" paint system should be used. Then the expected race rashing will be able to be brush touched up or spray touched up.
Incidently I'd reccoment BILLY -hes not in wellytown but its only an RG150 frame so easy to transport

imdying
11th May 2010, 10:04
Sure you can, pencil it up like you would with paint.

The Pastor
11th May 2010, 11:06
poweder coating and paint, adds a bit of thickness to it, plug up all threaded holes and mounting surfaces!

Juzz976
11th May 2010, 11:48
Powdercoat, touch up with paint if you do have a slip.
Sandblast first and make sure you masking tape up your head bearing and plug threads with screws.
Unless can easily re tap all the threads, otherwise you'll likley shear of any bolts trying to force them in/ round heads.

Her_C4
12th May 2010, 16:32
Thanks all,

Crazefox has nimbly jumped to the challenge, and the frame is now in his hands - fairings to follow:)

Owl
12th May 2010, 18:17
You're all sorted then...............Good stuff!:msn-wink: