PDA

View Full Version : Nothing like one-off bits

98tls
3rd May 2010, 07:53
Actually the guys making 20 of them,very nice work and should look very nice anodized in Blue.Not bad for $105.

scumdog
3rd May 2010, 07:54
You'll end up with more bling on your bike than the average Harley owner has Mike!!

But nice, very nice!

blackdog
3rd May 2010, 07:58
mmm me wanty one....whos doing it, and will he make one for a 1200 bandit?

and only $105. shit make a 100 of em and i'll distribute them for yaz would be a nice little earner

98tls
3rd May 2010, 08:02
You'll end up with more bling on your bike than the average Harley owner has Mike!!

But nice, very nice!

Yea mate,10 years or so later theres not to much of the original bike left:blink:problem is the guys on the TL Site keep coming up with killer deals on aftermarket stuff or simply go about making things,for a $100 i see no reason to turn the likes of this thing down really.

imdying
3rd May 2010, 08:07
Blue Mike? Really?

98tls
3rd May 2010, 08:15
Blue Mike? Really?

Yea mate,really.I like the blue anodized that Van does myself.What colour do you reckon ?

imdying
3rd May 2010, 10:48
I've pm'd ya mate. Much other blue stuff on the bike? Do you have a pic?

98tls
3rd May 2010, 10:55
I've pm'd ya mate. Much other blue stuff on the bike? Do you have a pic?

Na not really mate,only the little bobbins for the axle stand.Pm replied ta,very helpul.Gotta pop out will have a gander later,might ring them and see if they have a dark/titanium grey colour.

imdying
3rd May 2010, 13:12
I've used them, they're pretty good to deal with, HTH.

Something to match the wheels would be ace.

98tls
3rd May 2010, 14:29
I've used them, they're pretty good to deal with, HTH.

Something to match the wheels would be ace.

Gave the bloke a ring,very helpful guy.Is going to email me a few pics re colours.Doesnt have any titanium colour as such but will see what he comes up with.Cheers for putting me onto them,roughly $80 he reckons,quite happy with that.

dipshit
3rd May 2010, 18:13
The more beer I drink the more sense it makes.

:Punk:

98tls
3rd May 2010, 18:17
The more beer I drink the more sense it makes.

:Punk:

About time you turned up here with some gold aint it?Whatta you think,blue or a dark grey?

dipshit
3rd May 2010, 18:25
I could see the blue working. It would fit in with the character of the bike.

A loud kind of cool... but sporty at the same time.

dipshit
3rd May 2010, 18:29
Me thinking of the blue anodized gixxer fork caps here... only louder!

98tls
3rd May 2010, 18:46
I could see the blue working. It would fit in with the character of the bike.

A loud kind of cool... but sporty at the same time.

Eh?Jeez mate if i wanted loud i would have bought those rims in "pimp" gold lol.I know the old girls a bit "mutton dressed up as lamb" but louds not xactly what i am after.

blackdog
3rd May 2010, 18:53
About time you turned up here with some gold aint it?Whatta you think,blue or a dark grey?

i actually quite like it in the 'raw'

black could work too tho....

dipshit
3rd May 2010, 19:15
Eh?Jeez mate if i wanted loud i would have bought those rims in "pimp" gold lol.I know the old girls a bit "mutton dressed up as lamb" but louds not xactly what i am after.

You don't consider see-through clutch covers and non see-through carbon fibre screens to be loud for a sports bike...???

:shifty:

98tls
3rd May 2010, 19:23
You don't consider see-through clutch covers and non see-through carbon fibre screens to be loud for a sports bike...???

:shifty:

The clutch cover was simply something different back then considering its been on there awhile,not to mention the thought and skills that went into making it but yea "loud i guess in a nifty way.You win,the Carbon screen was simply a case of "why not",cost me no more than an aftermarket plastic one here.,as for non see through,with a helmet on the oem screen was to low to hide behind when "travelling" anyway.

SS90
3rd May 2010, 21:40
Actually the guys making 20 of them,very nice work and should look very nice anodized in Blue.Not bad for $105.

Yes, very nice, but, erm, has anyone mentioned to you that this is illegal, (suspension modifications such as this require certification), as it is a structural modification that affects the strength of the steering............

You may be lucky and the first few WOF go through, but it only takes experienced tester to notice, log it in the system, and you will find problems, also, it is a loop hole for the insurance companies as well.

It looks nice though!

imdying
4th May 2010, 10:11
This is New Zealand, there aren't any experienced testers. Shit, down his way he could make a new subframe from twigs and Mr Beam could sort the warrant out.

F5 Dave
4th May 2010, 18:01
Yeah my custom triple clamps are anodised Blue (previous owner). Looks fuckn terrible, least of my problems but will black them one day, by powder if needs be. My LVV cert mentions it.

98tls
5th May 2010, 15:13
Yes, very nice, but, erm, has anyone mentioned to you that this is illegal, (suspension modifications such as this require certification), as it is a structural modification that affects the strength of the steering............

You may be lucky and the first few WOF go through, but it only takes experienced tester to notice, log it in the system, and you will find problems, also, it is a loop hole for the insurance companies as well.

It looks nice though! Never had any problems re WOFs with the thing,its got aftermarket suspenders ride height adjuster,brakes off a Busa etc,jesus its got aftermarket everything and the only time i had a problem was with the led tailight lens and the lack of particular numbers which turned out to be an old wives tail so they gave me the WOF.After everything thats been done to this old bike i bet a penny to a pound this thing isnt even mentioned..

98tls
5th May 2010, 15:19
Back on track,got an email from the Anodize people and they can come up with this colour,works for me so will go with it.

blackdog
5th May 2010, 15:24
Back on track,got an email from the Anodize people and they can come up with this colour,works for me so will go with it.

yeah loads nicer than blue dude...kinda gunmetal

98tls
5th May 2010, 15:32
yeah loads nicer than blue dude...kinda gunmetal

Yea mate,blue..........wtf was i thinking.Will post up a pic when its done.Cheers to Imdying for putting me onto these guys.

imdying
5th May 2010, 15:45
Oh yeah, that's nice. I'll post up a pic of the front end I had them anodize if you like.

98tls
5th May 2010, 15:53
Yea mate,do it..............

F5 Dave
5th May 2010, 17:55
Never had any problems re WOFs with the thing,its got aftermarket suspenders ride height adjuster,brakes off a Busa etc,jesus its got aftermarket everything and the only time i had a problem was with the led tailight lens and the lack of particular numbers which turned out to be an old wives tail so they gave me the WOF.After everything thats been done to this old bike i bet a penny to a pound this thing isnt even mentioned..
Brake changes of any type is a LVV cert make no mistake. . . . Not to say you won't get away with it, I certainly have with R1 brakes on earlier Yams, but it has to look stock "Yes that model came out with these for just one year". Anything obviously different & your WOF place is taking a risk passing it.

98tls
5th May 2010, 18:02
Brake changes of any type is a LVV cert make no mistake. . . . Not to say you won't get away with it, I certainly have with R1 brakes on earlier Yams, but it has to look stock "Yes that model came out with these for just one year". Anything obviously different & your WOF place is taking a risk passing it.

Cheers Dave,be interesting to see if they notice the radials on the GSXR forks when i take it in for a wof then eh.

SS90
6th May 2010, 01:02
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm-in-service-certification/docs/mc-9-steering.pdf

This may help with any confusion (the most relevant part is "Reasons for rejection" A) and B) as, it does not qualify for exemption under table 9-1-1, and therefore, must have LVV inspection.

This is a LTSA way of saying "you can't have a WOF on a modified vehicle, and any thing that is not listed in table 9-1-1 is considered modified" (i.e, suspension components, (bushes, shocks, forks) if they are a direct bolt on replacement (such as listed in table 9-1-1) are permitted)

This, of course only pertains to steering, brakes are an entirely different matter! (so don't argue that "oh, the forks fitted straight on, and the brakes are attached to the forks, so it is legal.....the fact is you will have to comply it (because of the brakes), but, it will be no real chore, because an inspector will see that the brakes belong to the forks, the forks where a "bolt on replacement", and it's just a matter of formality.

If you fitted "adapter plates" to fit the brakes to the forks, then, while it is (sometimes) possible to get compliance, they look VERY VERY closely at the set up.

Don't take this as I am trying to "piss on your parade", (far from it).

You and I both know that an "average" WOF tester will not even notice it (perhaps), but it only takes one "on to it " copper, and it's a case of "the camels nose under the tent".

From a strictly legal perspective, it may well be worth getting it complied (it's not that hard really), on something like that, I am 100% certain you will have to have it crack tested, which can be done by various places around ChCH (there was a place in Bromley that did it for $50 a few years back), before the complier will pass it.

A tester (may/should) feel uncomfortable with the fact that it has so much "wasted area", affecting it's strength. (therefore requiring the crack test (perhaps even a torsional twist test to check it's deformation under load))

The whole process should not cost more than a hundred bucks or so.

The thing with the "magic numbers" on reflector lenses? That's another story when you "comply" the bike (if, for example it is imported or modified), you MUST have the required ECE numbers on the head light and tail lights lens, make no mistake.......but, for a WOF it is not required (silly I know).

I assure you, if (for some odd reason) you where importing your bike into NZ today (after making all the mods you have in another country), when you complied it at LTSA (required so that you can register an imported bike), it would not pass, but if you put it back to standard, got your compliance, then, refitted all the lights etc that you had before, it would be able to get WOF's totally legally!

Weird huh!

The same applies if you wanted to comply your bike in it's current trim. While some things (shock, forks) are totally legal, and require no certification, the other things (lights, brakes, triple clamp) do require certification, and, if you have no numbers on the reflectors or lights (including indicators) then there is no way you will get compliance with them on, whereas, you may only require a crack test on the triple clamp, and if the brake calipers
bolt straight onto the forks, there will be no test required, other than an inspector brake test, followed by a declaration by you (the modifier,and perhaps a shop to back you up) that it is acceptable for a 1000cc bike)

imdying
6th May 2010, 09:37
No adaptor plates, the TL calipers bolt off, the Busa calipers bolt on. Much the same as the SV1000/GSXR1000K1/K2 calipers interchange.

SS90
6th May 2010, 10:24
No adaptor plates, the TL calipers bolt off, the Busa calipers bolt on. Much the same as the SV1000/GSXR1000K1/K2 calipers interchange.

If it is just a "bolt on", then it is unlikely to be noticed by any tester, but, strictly speaking, it does require LVV.

You would be surprised how often people fit unsuitable combinations of brakes and mastercylinder and then cannot understand why it doesn't work correctly.

SS90
6th May 2010, 10:24

If it is just a "bolt on", then it is unlikely to be noticed by any tester, but, strictly speaking, it does require LVV.

You would be surprised how often people fit unsuitable combinations of brakes and mastercylinder and then cannot understand why it doesn't work correctly.

avgas
6th May 2010, 10:40
Holy crap man - some of that gear on your bike is pure sex.
I love it.
I hate you.
Envy is a card I do not play well.

See you and I have very similar bike, all custom. However my bike is the opposite of yours in the aspect that all my custom bits are rubbish that keep it running. I am hoping to have the left side match the right side before the end of the year. lol