PDA

View Full Version : EBR Racereport 21/05/05 Taupo-AMCC rnd5

Kwaka-Kid
22nd May 2005, 00:07
Another wicked race day to say the least!

The day was declared wet before practise, and I was out there with a spanking new set of Pirelli Supercorsa's.

Practise 1: Well I had just prior done about 10 laps in the scrub session, of which I was incredibly timid in, and took it very easy, but at least in this practise I found some sort of a groove – knowing well that I couldn’t afford to lay the bike down, but that I did have to make one risky lap at an attempt for front row qualification. This worked out for me and with some minor movement here and there I did what had to be done and struggled a 3<SUP>rd </SUP>in qualifying, perfect, front row of the grid all day!

Race 1 came soon enough and before it some time without rain… I was on the grid with tyres still not scrubbed fully, but at least a fairly dry wide line around the track to play with. Flag dropped and I belted into the first corner in 1<SUP>st</SUP> place, down to the hairpin pressuring myself too much, and loosing the rear fairly far to my right, which when caught back set me a little out and lost 1 place coming out of the hairpin. I ran around with a few minor slips and stuff ups in the first 2 laps then having frosty whiz up the inside of me coming back around into turn 1-showing me how its meant to be done. With this and tyres that were coming to warm I tried to hold the rear of his bike however broke traction a touch heading into the right hander after the hairpin (nothing serious, just a little warning). Still trying to keep up with frosty we came around to overtake a number of 125s of which 2 he got passed nicely prior to a corner and I got a little caught up for a bit (the biker gods were already favouring him!). However with 3 laps clear to close there was some pressure but the Pirellis by now were working a gem and that gap closed like I couldn’t believe, then holding his rear for the final lap I short-shifted thru the S’s to be pulling stronger midway thru the right hander where I could hear Frosty's beast slamming the rev limiter… underneath I went and taking the close to typical (but slightly tighter) twin apex line of the sweeper I knew the door would be shut on frosty if he was attempting to sneak under.

Race 2 was much of the same to be honest, after setting a faster time then the guy in front in the first race (the big catch-up probably did that) I thought if I started well enough I would have a go at 1<SUP>st</SUP>, however the launch went well but in typical VFR fashion I engaged clutch, shifted into second, disengaged and smacked the power on, only to have her spit out of 2<SUP>nd</SUP> gear and a big over rev (It makes me cringe when that happens!)… With this frosty, 32, and the motard shot ahead, well there goes the chance of 1<SUP>st</SUP>! I didn’t want to put too much pressure on myself as it was a points meeting for me (after just working out we get them?!), so I got the motard back and comfortably settled in 6inches from Frosty’s rear for 7 laps… around around, around, lots of knee down I guess so it was entertaining, then last lap, you got it! Here come the S’s and frosty I will do it again and again! Same deal, run to the line with Frosty’s points!

Race 3… well after lots of rain the track was well soaked, without the option of wets we took a quick team meeting. After some simple addition (yeah I'm still having trouble with that!) I had done all I needed to do, so long as I completed both the next races my position overall wouldn’t change, the only way for it to change would be for me to get 2<SUP>nd </SUP>or better in at least one of the races, which would mean riding really risky for the sakes of 1<SUP>st</SUP> place overall, and I was already well stoked with 2<SUP>nd</SUP> (and It seems a tad unfair Jason Hulme not being at the meeting). So in conclusion to the meeting standing orders were to finish, just stay upright son! I think the words were.

Race 4... well yeah much of the same, lost 1 more place then in Race 3 which surprised me a little but good on the guy on the RGV, he deserved that and I didn’t want to risk anything for no return.

Well what a wicked day!!! So I ask myself at the end of it what positive have I taken with me from this day?

That racing isn’t just about the guy with the biggest stones, its numbers, and its mind games. I’ve come away from Taupo today with a lot more up my sleeve for next time then I expected and some more ideas to ponder on

First Thanks goes to Adam @ Henderson Motorcycles, I was in a tight situation only a day out from racing and he really went the extra mile-I’m very pleased with how they worked in the dry at least thanks.

Second to Eh Boy Racing, and the westies and the friends that have really helped along the way. Included in that is No Hair Racing, cheers Greg!

Finally I’d like to say Thanks to my dad. The guy that’s always there, even if not physically beside me-the advice, the work, and that simple addition I have trouble with-cheers!

FROSTY
22nd May 2005, 00:40
FUCKEN FANTASTIC DAY maytee --I just cant believe i fell for that trick twice--ahh well
2 KBers in the first three for the series--not bad ehh mayteee

6Chris6
22nd May 2005, 10:29
A bit of an average day for me,
As team boss (kk) has mentioned weather was none too flash and I was feeling about the same trying to get over a cold.

Went out for the begining tyre scrub in session taking it very easy as I've no confidence in the wet at all, trouble was I forgot one minor thing, we'd pumped my tyres up to 40-40 ready to let down depending on conditions.......
And yes, I'd forgotten to let them down.

So I circulate the first lap just using it as a sighting lap then come around the sweeper and nail it, head down elbows in, I sit up at a cautious braking point on the front brakes and instant lock up :eek5:
And all I could think was, It's not even first practice and I'm gonna bin it.
Let out the brake again, put my left foot down, try to squeeze the brakes as softly as my nerves could handle and try to take the corner, I swung real wide but managed to take the corner, realising what happened I go straight into the pits, and with the help of the team drop my pressures from 40-40 to 26-26 :yes:
Not the best way to start my second meet and you couldn't have pulled a pin out of my arse with a tractor after that lap.

First race
Manage to pick up a Pre '89 senior or two and start to get into a groove, but couldn't keep up with the main group so spend the race pretty much circulating on my own.

Second race
More of the same so try pushing a bit harder to catch the main group, my times were dropping and confidence was coming up, deck it over coming through the hairpin and before I know it the front end is gone and I'm taking a slide.
Damage wasn't too bad and before I know it the EBR team and our KB family had the bike ready to race again :yes:

The next two races were wet and my confidence had taken a bit of a hit so settled into just circulating and trying to keep it tidy.

Overall A great day, although I was outclassed in the field, learnt a lot and dropped my times a little.
Big thanks to the EBR team not only for race day help but for the late nights working on the TZR leading up to this meet, again without KK and his dad I wouldn't have been there at all :first:
And of course out KB brethren, always there with a word or hand of support :grouphug:

Zed
22nd May 2005, 11:06
...and smacked the power on, only to have her spit out of 2<SUP>nd</SUP> gear and a big over rev (It makes me cringe when that happens!)… Ooo don't you just hate that!! :o

Finally I’d like to say Thanks to my dad. The guy that’s always there, even if not physically beside me-the advice, the work, and that simple addition I have trouble with-cheers!Good to see you giving Dad the honour due him.

Great report tks KK, keep up the good work. Looking forward to hearing about your progress in the next meet! :niceone:

Zed
22nd May 2005, 11:12
And all I could think was, It's not even first practice and I'm gonna bin it...And you didn't bin it Chris - well done! With the track surface and hard tyres against you I think you showed skill to take that corner. :headbang:

Sorry to hear you came off later but glad to hear you went back on and finished out the day. Keep on getting out there and before no time you'll be keeping up with the fast guys! :yes:

NodMan
22nd May 2005, 11:18
and It seems a tad unfair Jason Hulme not being at the meeting). So in conclusion to the meeting standing orders were to finish, just stay upright son! I think the words were.

TOP MARKS Eh Boy...Im impressed that you were able to hold back and follow team orders in last two races...quite something for a 19 year old to park up all that adrenalin and listen to the old fella...well done Grasshopper...

One day with improved equipment and Jason present you can PLAY fair and square for the number one board...Sportsmanship is another skill that you have now learnt about!

Considering the lessons learnt this season and the honest and humble way you have put these into practice... Management have decided that, although the old Viffer is a very tired old hack, because you preserved it and the demon tyres you have shown that you are ready to move on to the next step...be ready for the upgrade to the stage two kit for next season

Two Smoker
22nd May 2005, 11:38
Wicked stuff Logan and Chris...

You wont be racing Jason again Logo... He had a wicked start at Manfield (Jason) and was in the top 5 racers in F2... But in the 3rd race, hit the white line, simple lowside... But it hit the ditch and end over end it went multiple times... End result... Jason is fine, bike needs some work... (bike being Andrew Strouds old GSX-R600)

FROSTY
22nd May 2005, 11:46
Good onya Nodman. Full respect to you and KK for doing what was needed to preserve the numbers for the trophey.
Bloody good riding on KK's part too -Omg he's that good with just good tyres --whats he gonna be like with tyres ,handling and HP????
I must admit now that I was praying for rain to tip the scales my way. In the end it couldn't have worked out better.

FROSTY
22nd May 2005, 11:58
Chris --I swear mate you are getting faster every time you go out there.
the shite conditions were a pretty scarey intro to wet racing especially mucked in with those thundering 1100's
Now a point you lot have missed --Chris PASSED a gsxr1100
That pretty darn good going for only his second meeting and on a bike with less than 1/4 the gixxrs capacity.

curious george
22nd May 2005, 12:04
Chris reminded me..... when riding in the wet, somebody said to INCREASE tyre pressure by 1-2 psi to allow the water channels to stay open.
In cold weather, drop them from stock 3-4 to get the tires to heat up quickly...
I have no idea, having never been out in the wet
What's the feeling amongslt the F3 guys?

FROSTY
22nd May 2005, 12:26
stay home where its warm and dry says I
I think the secret when you know its gonna be a wet meeting is to have a set of wets -holey cow the 125 guys and the zxr400 were just finding so much traction--I mean knee on the ground stuff and all i could do was feather the throttle on the edge and past wheelspin.
If you have to run road tyres I think new tyres with sharp edges helps and
I found a shit load more traction when I made the suspension really really soft. I dont thindk in the wet you're putting the strain on the chasis you are in the dry.
Pressure wise its track,meeting specific I raised my pressures front and rear by 3 psi and it seemed to work for me sorta

ajturbo
22nd May 2005, 12:42
it was a great day out at the track for me, waving the unbrella (sp?) around to ward off the rain.....

KK and frosty's races were great to watch... i hope the photo's will come out ok.

Baby B said to say sorry that she wasn't there, we had a shed delivered, and someone had to stay behind... and i had frosty;'s bike......:devil2:

chris!!
what can i say about the guy... just , that WHEN i start racing, i hope i will improve my times as fast as he has!!!!
he is as smooth out of the hair pin as the TOP riders!!! ( i was there for most of his races)

andy

Sparky
22nd May 2005, 12:44
KK and frosty's races were great to watch... i hope the photo's will come out ok.

Here are some more pictures

http://community.webshots.com/album/350045513YOHQib

Thanks to AJTURBO for taking the ones with the spare camera. It isn't very good with action shots but better than nothing ay.

The photo's are large enough to zoom in and "Cut and Paste" the good bit.
Enjoy folks!

Two Smoker
22nd May 2005, 13:19
Chris reminded me..... when riding in the wet, somebody said to INCREASE tyre pressure by 1-2 psi to allow the water channels to stay open.
In cold weather, drop them from stock 3-4 to get the tires to heat up quickly...
I have no idea, having never been out in the wet
What's the feeling amongslt the F3 guys?

I kept my 30/30psi same as for the dry...

k14
22nd May 2005, 14:32
I'd have thought that you should drop the pressures a bit for the wet, cause the extra water will cool them down more hence the pressures won't go up as much. You would want more grip in the wet so would drop the pressures by about 2psi or so I reckon. But thats just thinking out loud, anyone know for sure??

Oh yeah, awesome stuff KK, show those other boys what a bike made by a "proper" company can do.

Motoracer
22nd May 2005, 16:55
Good on ya EBR boys!

I enjoyed the read KK.

And TS is right, you all should come down to Manfield for the next one.:niceone:

Kwaka-Kid
22nd May 2005, 17:05
haha nah dude! that manfield shit is for the big boys. It does worry me abit but in all honesty yes, i will sort out the dosh and the courage to come down there sometime soon.

Motoracer
22nd May 2005, 17:12
haha nah dude! that manfield shit is for the big boys. It does worry me abit but in all honesty yes, i will sort out the dosh and the courage to come down there sometime soon.

Yep, that would cool as. P.S. you clould race with Mitch like old times (She was there yesterday).

I was just wondering about one thing, did you do this on your VFR or the FZR?

Kickaha
22nd May 2005, 17:32

You've been down here and ridden a real track and Manfields easier than Ruapuna,Taupo and Pukekohe are just warm ups for the real thing :yes:

Racey Rider
22nd May 2005, 17:36
I'd have thought that you should drop the pressures a bit for the wet, cause the extra water will cool them down more hence the pressures won't go up as much. You would want more grip in the wet so would drop the pressures by about 2psi or so I reckon. But thats just thinking out loud, anyone know for sure??

Oh yeah, awesome stuff KK, show those other boys what a bike made by a "proper" company can do.

I do lots of tyre pressure testing. No expert yet, but I Agree with you K14.

Two Smoker
22nd May 2005, 19:44
You've been down here and ridden a real track and Manfields easier than Ruapuna,Taupo and Pukekohe are just warm ups for the real thing :yes:

Im saving up for that, hopefully i will be there for the nationals...

babyB
22nd May 2005, 22:12
way cool write up AGAIN !!!!!!
sound like another great day of racing with it's up and downs as it does :msn-wink:
it is good to read such great write up when i can't be there to follow you guys

Sorry
but had to pay a man for me shed and go see my dad for his birthday

keep the write ups coming :niceone:
hope to be at the next one and many more

Kwaka-Kid
22nd May 2005, 22:49
cheers guys :)

and i was on the faithful Yellow VFR dude :) Hopefully not again though! onwards and upwards i say!

SPman
22nd May 2005, 23:13
Another great write up Logan.
Good to see you guys out there and doing well.

Milky
24th May 2005, 23:03

The reason for raising the pressures is to keep the grooves in the tyre open, hence facilitate water dispersal. I imagine that there is a limit as to how far you raise them, but the principle makes a lot of sense.
You have a valid point about dropping pressures for a colder day to keep heat up, but methinks that the grooves staying open are more important in this case.

Fluffy Cat
25th May 2005, 10:23
The groovs on the tyre are designed to stay open even at lower temps or pressures.What you need in the wet is for the tyre to warm up,water is great at cooling.So you run the tyres with a little less pressure.Wets have lots of grooves to 1 disperse water and 2 allows the tyre to warm up as the smaller blocks due to their size warm quicker,do not transfer heat to surrounding rubber and move about a little more which heats the blocks.

Hoon
25th May 2005, 18:18
Good work Logan and congrats on a great finish to a great season!! Would have loved to be out there with you guys but unfortunately just don't have the time at the moment (yeah I'm sure you all missed me....NOT!!). My Army commitments should ease off next month and also just bought a house (with a double garage yeah baby!!) so have been pretty busy.

Racing is one of those things that requires 100% total commitment otherwise you are wasting your time and money so I reluctantly decided to opt out for now and return later in the year when I can give it the attention it deserves.

But congrats to all the F3 KB crew (hard luck Bruno...just do what I did, park it up in the corner and go get a 4 stroke!). Its Ironic too that not long ago Logan was the one who was going to give up racing to buy a house..haha !!!

Fluffy Cat
25th May 2005, 18:50
Ye hay you live good to hear from yo Hoon.Ahhh you know the 2stroke never dies it does it over a long drawn out period taking many years.
The nsr will live again less power than the 4strokes but who cares when you have two,the aprilia came out to play and liked it so i can play on that as well.You all need 2strokes and are really living in denial.The 4 stroke is just a 2 stroke wannabe yeah its true.Give in to your inner feelings and desires.....

Kwaka-Kid
25th May 2005, 22:03
haha! keep dreaming Bruno:P .

They do rock.

And yeah Hoon tell me about it, where abouts, must chat sometime, ive been to a number of open homes and am all dead set and ready... just a matter of finding the right place now.

BUBBLE
26th May 2005, 20:18
I was in Taupo for the day so I decided to go see what was racing at the track (having never been there before), to my surprise it was bike racing. Good day, shame about the rain. Never saw any crashes but saw some of the carnage. The Ducati looked a bit second hand, a GSX1100 and a couple others.
We had the cage with the ratty GSXR400 on a trailer, parked outside the track gate. Pretty rough but more than suitable for a project bike.