PDA

View Full Version : Katana 250...

simpy1
4th May 2010, 00:07
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows much about Suzuki Katana GSX250S bikes...there is one on TradeMe right now (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=284019441) and, well, it is about the most awesome-looking 250 I have seen! I also have a thing for classic machines, and like to be different, so perhaps that explains the attraction.

Does anyone know if these bikes are reliable & good, or would I be setting myself up for thousands of dollars in rare & expensive parts if anything goes wrong?

Sorry that this is not in the learner's section, but I just thought seeing as the bike is 19 years old, there may be some more experienced riders here who have owned one in the past.

Thanks for any help & wisdom, it is much appreciated!

Headbanger
4th May 2010, 01:41
341,686km:gob::gob::gob:

miloking
4th May 2010, 01:56
341,686km:gob::gob::gob:

Its 34000 there is picture of the speedo....

and this is from carjam

# Latest odometer reading: 33,087 Km (on 2010, January 16th, source: WOF Inspection)

Headbanger
4th May 2010, 02:02
Ya, I saw the speedo pic, Cheers for sucking all the humour out of it.:shit::Punk::Punk::Punk:

simpy1
4th May 2010, 09:15
Yeah the odometer reading was a surprise hehe, but I think 34,000 is pretty reasonable for a 1991.

But seriously - fun/different bike or imminent money trap?

nudemetalz
4th May 2010, 12:33
From what I know, the engine is near identical to a GSXR250 which means engine parts shouldn't be a prob.
I think they're quite a styly wee 250 and if the tyres, chain, sprockets etc etc are in good condition (which is mentioned anyway), should be a good buy.

Let me know if you want me to look at it for you.

blackdog
4th May 2010, 12:48
would be mint with a vvt bandit motor.....

simpy1
5th May 2010, 11:01
Thanks for the reply Nudemetalz - yeah I really like the look of it. A 20 year old bike is concerning though, considering it's likely I will go overseas next year. I'm looking for a bike that will be fun to learn on, but also doesn't cost too much on maintenance and will hold its resale value for when I sell it a year later. I don't see a bike like this dropping in resale value - as long as nothing breaks. I get the feeling if I needed to replace a fairing or exhaust pipe, it'd get expensive fast!

Thanks for the offer about taking a look at it - I will try and bring my friend who knows a lot about bikes with me when I look at it. If not I might have to call you up heh!

avgas
5th May 2010, 11:10
Great little bikes. Very zippy and reliable motor.
Plus they look like a newer copy of the original 750.
German design with Japanese power. Such a mixture of love.
And the best love is interracial.

nudemetalz
5th May 2010, 11:25
Thanks for the offer about taking a look at it - I will try and bring my friend who knows a lot about bikes with me when I look at it. If not I might have to call you up heh!

Sweet as, good luck !!!

varminter
5th May 2010, 19:31
I had one of those for a short while. Felt like a rocket after the GN250. Clip on's and rear sets and Yoshi pipes, I just felt the man. Sold it for $2500 and it only had 18000 on the clock. Really liked it though.