PDA

View Full Version : Dead engine starts?

honda_power
4th May 2010, 15:29
Anyone here good at dead engine starts? Looking for a few pointers as im always mid to back of the pack - motocross starts im normally towards to front somewhere.

Some guys are able to rocket off as soon as the bike starts... not me - allways end up playing catchup getting covered in mud or dust. I guess its just practice, but how to do guys do it?

scott411
4th May 2010, 15:53
i have holeshotted a few in my time,

i always start the bike in nuetral esp if it is a four stroke, they always seem to fire better, i also use a holeshot clip as it lets you get over the bike easier, and stops the wheelstands

Ride it till the red
4th May 2010, 15:54
Being 2 stroke I'd have said you had the best chance. Will your bike kick in gear? On my CR I'd kick it with the bike already waiting in second and a handful of gas already wound on. As it screamed into life the clutch gets dumped and the rest of the throttle cracked open. Seemed to work alright. but as you say, practice is the key to anything.

Edit, yeah as Scott said, 4 stroke I'd always pick neutral but the 2 bangers never ever needed it. Never had a holeshot clip myself but it;s probably a good investment if your serious about it.

B0000M
4th May 2010, 16:16
another pointer is gently kick the bike over a until you get the feel for when the hard to kick section of stroke is coming up, then get on and give it 1 good kick!

scott411
4th May 2010, 16:53
even with 250 2t's i was not perfect everytime with starting it in gear so used to start them in netural, KDX200's and 125's i used to start in gear,

honda_power
4th May 2010, 17:58
Sounds like just a bit of practice then. Yeah i know I should be better off with my smoker, but im just downright horrible at them. Iv never really given it much thought until today when i was watching last man standing, david knight has his bike accelerating forward before the thing has even fully revved up if that makes any sense. Wouldn't starting in neutral slow you down a lot seeing as your right foot would be on the kickstart and your left foot would be on the ground?

B0000M
4th May 2010, 19:59
not really , as you kick your right leg down then put it on the ground and move the bike into gear... one motion if you get the idea- theoreticly you would lose split seconds, but the bike is so much more likely to start in neutral than in gear that those split seconds are kind of an insurance against starting failure

Ktmboy
4th May 2010, 20:17
Sounds like just a bit of practice then. Yeah i know I should be better off with my smoker, but im just downright horrible at them. Iv never really given it much thought until today when i was watching last man standing, david knight has his bike accelerating forward before the thing has even fully revved up if that makes any sense. Wouldn't starting in neutral slow you down a lot seeing as your right foot would be on the kickstart and your left foot would be on the ground?

Correct. I seem to have a fairly good record (did I ever tell you about my T100 start....another time perhaps) any way, practice is the key and as the kick start is moving down with the bike in 2nd gear the clutch is being let out. Bugger this nuetral gear stuff as its a race. If you get it wrong then it goes wrong no matter if the bike is in gear or not.

We did some testing on electric vs kick start on two bikes the same and kick start won out every time. One of the probs with electric was that you couldn't hear the motor going especially on a 4t. Practice is the key.

CRF119
4th May 2010, 20:31
Id hate to do one of them on my CRF. Thats why ive avoided them lol. I think it would be a balance thing.

Rupe
4th May 2010, 20:57
I remember reading that if you start the bike in neutral hold the clutch in put it in gear and hit the kill switch with the clutch still pulled in. The key is to keep the clutch in till you have to start, then kick and release the clutch in one movement on the start.

Never tried it though so could be horse shit...try it!

B0000M
4th May 2010, 21:19
I remember reading that if you start the bike in neutral hold the clutch in put it in gear and hit the kill switch with the clutch still pulled in. The key is to keep the clutch in till you have to start, then kick and release the clutch in one movement on the start.

i can see the logic in this. removes the sticky clutch issue

Ktmboy
4th May 2010, 21:25

I reckon that would be well worth checking out.

scott411
4th May 2010, 21:31
it works for sure, try it,

flyingcr250
4th May 2010, 21:32
or you could just buy a ktm, push the magic button and gooooooo!

scott411
4th May 2010, 21:46
or you could just buy a ktm, push the magic button and gooooooo!

a kickstart bike is normally quicker, but a button is more consistant,

honda_power
4th May 2010, 23:10
great tips! gonna try them after uni tomorrow... clutch one sounds good

Reckless
4th May 2010, 23:53

Sounds logical?
Start the engine, pull clutch in to separate the plates, then kill it but keep the plates seperated so they don't bind up with the sticky oil in the engine. Next kick your away! B000M your CR won't start in gear will it? I can't quite remember??Have you tried this yours would be a good test for the theory!
Must remember this good one Rupe!!

camchain
5th May 2010, 09:24
Mmm, not sure about the clutch in/kill switch thing, even though good idea to consider. Wouldn't plates be free enough having ridden to startline? I always pull lever a few times anyway.

OK, this is just a brain fart, but what about any difference with killing engine on idle or at revs? Would this have any useful effect on wet plug/fuel charge/float bowl level for re-start?

Not much personal experience with dead engine XC starts but I do this:
- Put in 2nd gear (2nd gear = much less resistance for in-gear start as well)
- Make double sure bike IS in gear.
- Roll kicker to just past a compression stroke (ensures no foot slip & good kick momentum)
- If hands-on-head I do couple of quick practices at clutch/handlebar grabs.
- Soon as shotgun blast imminent, I stop looking at starter - focus on BANG. Woohoo.

barty5
5th May 2010, 10:55
Wouldnt make any diff on float bowl level gravity feed carb will be full before you have to restart.

B0000M
5th May 2010, 11:34
my bike will start in gear... its just easier when its in neutral- and in racing situations i dont take the risk of it not firing 1st kick

vazza
5th May 2010, 13:30
Ive only had to do a couple of deadstars. Deadtoad & Suzuki 4 hour. Deadtoad I was mid/late pack, push the electric start as well as kicked the bike over, seemed to start pretty quick haha. 4hour I was back of the pack had to work my way up.. Not sure what the best technique is...