PDA

View Full Version : Two Smoker Race report Rnd 2 Vic Club 05

Two Smoker
22nd May 2005, 12:20
Hey everyone,

Yep it was that time again, Race day at manfield...

It was very different this time, where i was the one to cause MR and I to leave late... I had a late delivery and didnt finish till 5pm :doh:

So finally we arrived in Palmerston at 1:30 am. We then got up at 5:30am to get ready to go to the track early. We got there at 0640 AND WE WERE THE FIRST IN LINE!!! By 0710 there was a HUGE (20+ cars) line waiting to get first dibs on the pits, and the gates hadn't even opened!!!

The day was overcast, there was a threat of rain and the track was wet.

Qualifying: Ive never raced in the wet, and never ridden with Supercorsa's fast in teh wet either. I also had to scrub in my rear tyre :wacko: By the time my qualifying came up, the track was starting to dry out (cheers the big bikes) and i was feeling a little more confident... I took it easy to start with and then started to find out how much i can push these supercorsas. I came back in and felt i did ok, and waited to see the results... WOOHOO 5th PLACE ON THE GRID!!! But it got better, I WAS ONLY 0.2 SECONDS BEHIND HAYDEN FITZGERALD, i had also beaten Derek Hill... There was 0.8 seconds seperating the top 5 riders, it was going to be a close one... Hayden had been running slicks, so had been taking it easy...

Race 1: I came upto the grid, and the track was very dry. reved my engine, the flag dropped. *BOGGED* (For fucks sake when will i get my starts sorted) I watched about 6 people go past me... But i got my own back by riding past about 5 of them around the first corner. I pushed it hard, and it was virtually dry conditions. I managed to get past Craig Sullivan on the very last corner or the last lap to secure 5th place. My best time was a 1:18.772.

Race 2: It was raining, and i was very nervous as this would be my first race in the rain. As everyone whacked on their wets, i was graciously offered MR's tyre warmers (cheers man that was a huge help!!!) After asking heaps of people about starts and the abilities of supercorsas in the wet, i basically went out to experiment and learn... Hayden and Jason Nairn decided to start at the back of the field. The flag dropped and i was off with an ok start, i slipped my clutch pretty much all the way through first gear. I started to learn how much i could lean the bike, and soon enough i was getting my knee down and going pretty quick, with gentle powersliding out of the corners... By the end of the back straight Jason and Hayden had passed everyone. I was settling in a nice groove and reeled in Geoff Booth to sit in 4th place, quickly gaining on Derek Hill. I had an awesome race against Derek, where i would get him under brakes, pass him on the outside. Just to have him pass me on the straights with his emmence power. These passing manuvoures happened about 15 times in total... I ended up getting 4th place, with a best time of 1:24.195, learnt that Supercorsas have awesome grip and had a wicked time playing with one of the top riders in the country in F3.

Race 3: The track was still damp, but it was drying up. I was determined to get my start right, revved my engine, clutch out, oohhhh too much revs!!! The bike shot sideways, i clutched it in and then kept going (BLOODY SHOCKING!!!) I settled into a quick pace, and was soon in 3rd position behind Geoff Booth and Derek Hill. Within 2 laps i passed Geoff under brakes. Just after that Hayden passed me, and i was on his tail for a few corners, but ofcourse he naturally pulled very quickly away... Then the checkered flag was waved and that was the end of the 9 lapper. I had finished in 3rd PLACE!!! So stoked with that...and to top it off i was doing 1:24's and everyone else infront was on wets...

These results put me 4th in the championship behind Hayden Fitzgerald, Jason Nairn and Derek Hill, with Geoff Booth nipping at my heels only 2 points behind me.

Huge thanks to Motoracer!!! Also to Hooks, and my G/F Chloe!!! Big thanks to the KB support!!!

So now all you F3 racers need to come down and race at Manfield :niceone:

FROSTY
22nd May 2005, 12:35
good onya chris. fantastic result against some really good competition.
Im gonna hafta forgo the manfeild racing.I might make the final round but its very doubtfull
My bank manager is seriously pissed off at me.

she_said
22nd May 2005, 12:37
Sounds like you had a wicked day :Punk: were you racing your rg?

Quasievil
22nd May 2005, 12:41
A good read TS, well done mate Im stoked for you getting such a awesome result, on YA!!!!

Cant wait till the next race to see how you go, hopefully I will be in the back somewhere for the view.

Good Stuff

Two Smoker
22nd May 2005, 12:41
Sounds like you had a wicked day :Punk: were you racing your rg?

Nah mate, My ZXR400...

Gutted Frosty :( try and make at least one of the rounds aye :niceone:

Sensei
22nd May 2005, 12:46
Good skill 2smoker Jason Narin is my Motor man for my GSXR1000 .
& buy 2 hand race tyres of Hayden old man Terry . Top skills There dude looks like I my need to come up there & get some tips off you .Thats if I could keep up to see what you are doing :niceone:

sarg
22nd May 2005, 13:04
great effort Chris
proud of you :ride:

Two Smoker
22nd May 2005, 13:14
great effort Chris
proud of you :ride:

Cheers Dad... :niceone:

Ghost Lemur
22nd May 2005, 13:39
Exellent results Chris. :niceone:

What's your goal for the season? Top 3? Then on to a win next year, or are you going to move up to F2 next season?

Sounds like you'll be knocking over the big boys in no time.

"Slight better watch his back, our boy's got skillz".

That Guy
22nd May 2005, 13:58
Awesome effort Chirs - your bike is a wee (!) way behind those you are beating and racing with - impressive. Keep at mate I reckon you've got the goods to go far. :niceone:

Motoracer
22nd May 2005, 14:07
I was most impressed TS. It made me proud to have been riding with you all along, watching your skills develop at a rapid rate and then see you beat some of the big names in F3 on a very underpowered bike yesterday. I think you have what it takes, seriously (everyone has said it before but now I really realise that as well).

Even though you came 4th and 3rd on your races (which is f-ing brilliant!!), you really do deserve :first: for your effort, in my books.

Good on ya mate!

GSVR
22nd May 2005, 15:07
What TS didn't mention in his report was there where 52 entries in the race programme for the F3/Superlight class. Huge field.

Was a day of very changeable track conditions. Guys with only one set of rims where very busy changing from wets to slicks in the hope they had the right tires on when it came time for them to race.

I filled in a Vic club membership form and gave it to kiwibiker/vicclub main man SVS. After I get a MNZ license I won't have any excuse not to have a go in clubmans.

Alot of Kiwibikers where at the meeting both as competitors and spectators.

SPman
22nd May 2005, 15:31
Great effort, Chris.:niceone:

Good to see you young (and not so young) guys out there giving it a go., you, Sudeep, Chris and all the others.

We're proud of all of ya.

sAsLEX
22nd May 2005, 16:06
Well done mate!!

Sudeep will have look out once you get your gixxer out on the track!! :devil2:

Coyote
22nd May 2005, 16:16
Who was first in the Streetstock?

Two Smoker
22nd May 2005, 19:58
Who was first in the Streetstock?

Steve Scullian on bike number 7 came first in the points for this round...

Two Smoker
22nd May 2005, 20:02
Exellent results Chris. :niceone:

What's your goal for the season? Top 3? Then on to a win next year, or are you going to move up to F2 next season?

Cheers mate :niceone: I want to get 4th. 3rd is a bit to far away due to Derek being an AWESOME rider with an awesome bike... The top 3 guys have spent 10's of thousands of $$$...

F2 is for me :niceone: im going to do some track days, then might jump into the deep end big time by racing at the nationals on it...

Kwaka-Kid
22nd May 2005, 22:31
whoa!

Seriously dude thats a wicked effort!!! What can i say?! Im a fellow F3 racer and i wanna be where you are! fully jelous, when are you racing taupo or the likes next? i would really like to follow you around the track and learn some (especially in the wet, i havnt even got motovation to race wet weather!)

Shot dude.

Ghost Lemur
22nd May 2005, 23:01
F2 is for me :niceone: im going to do some track days, then might jump into the deep end big time by racing at the nationals on it...

Going to use your current K5, or sell your 400 and 150 and put the money towards a second bike?

Could be a worthwhile way of doing it if you can remotely afford it. Would mean you've got your road gixxer as a parts bike when you're a little short of cash and needing repairs on the race bike .

Hopefully with a good showing in your first F2 you can get some sponsorship and start offsetting the costs. Nothing worse than money getting in the way of talent excelling.

Two Smoker
23rd May 2005, 07:28
whoa!

Seriously dude thats a wicked effort!!! What can i say?! Im a fellow F3 racer and i wanna be where you are! fully jelous, when are you racing taupo or the likes next? i would really like to follow you around the track and learn some (especially in the wet, i havnt even got motovation to race wet weather!)

Shot dude.

Cheers logo :niceone: Dont know when the next race is at taupo??? How about you make it to the race at Manfield on the 25th of June???

I would love a set of wets to go faster, but in reality you only need those if it is DUMPING DOWN...

Two Smoker
23rd May 2005, 07:29
Going to use your current K5, or sell your 400 and 150 and put the money towards a second bike?

Could be a worthwhile way of doing it if you can remotely afford it. Would mean you've got your road gixxer as a parts bike when you're a little short of cash and needing repairs on the race bike .

Hopefully with a good showing in your first F2 you can get some sponsorship and start offsetting the costs. Nothing worse than money getting in the way of talent excelling.

Ill probably sell the 400 to fund racing the 600 (current one) and keep the 150 as a commuter bike... Poor as hell so cant afford another bike until at least next year :( ....

JohnBoy
23rd May 2005, 07:48
Nice one TS!! you looked really good out there. hopefully your tyres didn't give you grief in the rain. :ride:

That Guy
23rd May 2005, 10:12
Ill probably sell the 400 to fund racing the 600 (current one) and keep the 150 as a commuter bike... Poor as hell so cant afford another bike until at least next year :( ....

Hey chris I've been wondering about the doing the same. I want to start off with some track days on the 600 hundy to get used to it first, then go from there. Anyhow I'd be keen to see your list of required bits/budget to get your 600 out there. I'm thinking the following will be needed:

1. Tyre warmers + generator (not that that is part of the conversion but I need them) $1000.
2. Race body work $900 + paint $400
3. 520 chain + a smaller front sproket and couple of teeth more rear $170?
4. Yoshi exhaust (got that but not the full system)
5. Rear sets (will need spares anyway) $650 for the ones from F-1 engineering where you get the spare pegs included.
6. Sticky prodie tyres $550
7. Crash bungs (got them)
8. Exhaust hanger (homemade should do)
9. Catch bottles, lock wire (and front stand for front wheel warmer).

Total: $3700 or so.

Then once getting faster (if)
1. Power commander + full system + air filter + dynoe tune $2500??
2. Ohlins shock + fork springs $1500+

whaddya reckon?

Zed
23rd May 2005, 10:21
These results put me 4th in the championship behind Hayden Fitzgerald, Jason Nairn and Derek Hill, with Geoff Booth nipping at my heels only 2 points behind me...:niceone:Great results Chris, keep up the good work! :Punk:

JohnBoy
23rd May 2005, 12:34
Hey chris I've been wondering about the doing the same. I want to start off with some track days on the 600 hundy to get used to it first, then go from there. Anyhow I'd be keen to see your list of required bits/budget to get your 600 out there. I'm thinking the following will be needed:

1. Tyre warmers + generator (not that that is part of the conversion but I need them) $1000.
5. Rear sets (will need spares anyway) $650 for the ones from F-1 engineering where you get the spare pegs included.

whaddya reckon?

in my limited experiance, be prepared to double any of those numbers.

That Guy
23rd May 2005, 13:29
I wasn't meaning running costs - racing already I'm aware of those - but doubling it? Where? I'd be doing the work meself....

Sorry Chris this is hi-jacking your thread a bit but I guess you've had a look at the numbers for this too so wanted to get your thoughts. :niceone:

Two Smoker
23rd May 2005, 19:08

whaddya reckon?

1: Getting them $575 for tyre warmers, $500 for a cheap small generator
2: Bodywork $1000 plus paint (Paint is $150 ill do it myself)
3: Chain and sprockets i need a few for different tracks $250
4: Yoshi exhaust, looking at that or Micron $1600 full system
5: Will only get rearsets if i start scraping pegs...
6: Sticky tyres go with out say, $550-$700
7: Crash bungs (got them)
8: depends if i use the pillion bracket or not
9: Ohlins steering damper (got it) $1000
10: Ohlins rear shock $2000+
11: wets on wheels, with brake discs (ive got the brake discs just need the tyres and wheels) will cost lots....

That looks like $6800 to me for my costs... but ill take out tyre warmers and generator for the ZXR400 cost...

Im hoping to be fast straight out of the box like Jason Hulme... Ill race this bike for a year (maybe two) then buy a new 600/1000

Much cheaper starting out and racing in F3... but i need to move up to improve my racing...

That Guy
23rd May 2005, 19:30
That looks like $6800 to me for my costs... but ill take out tyre warmers and generator for the ZXR400 cost...

Im hoping to be fast straight out of the box like Jason Hulme... Ill race this bike for a year (maybe two) then buy a new 600/1000

Much cheaper starting out and racing in F3... but i need to move up to improve my racing...

Sudeep is selling his Ohlins - $900 I fink. I reckon I can get away without that for starters, and wets on wheels - if its raining that hard I'll go to the pub instead using the excuse that I don't have any wets.

Rear sets a good for crashing cause unless they break they don;t fold and hold the frame off the track. I dunno about you but I sometimes fold my pegs up too when riding which rear sets don't do 'cause they're fixed. I certainly don't need them because of clearance problems.

Re Jason I've raced him once when he had his VFR and he was real quick but I reckon if your Manfeild exploits are anything to go by you'll be close to his level going into 600s next year after your season's racing this year; so should be a realistic goal.