PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Yamaha magician - circa 1981 XV/TR1 1000cc rebuild

caseye
5th May 2010, 18:38
Hey all, I'm looking for someone who knows their way around these old girls to either hold my hand while i do the hard yards or to take it away and do it where I can't hear her crys.

R1madness
8th May 2010, 12:42
Gidday mate, shame you are in Auckland, My head mechainc has done heaps of work on these, he used to run one in his MX sidecar unit back in the UK (bloody mad those poms)

rok-the-boat
9th May 2010, 15:47
What's wrong with it? Do you have a manual?

caseye
12th May 2010, 22:51
What's wrong with it? Do you have a manual?

Generally tired, still going Ok at 107000K's the last 34000 of em are mine.Leaks oil, now gas too, has only got a two into one pipe, I'd like twin pipes as per original.
Needs a good panel, paint and engine freshen to get back to something close to original condition.
Yes I do have a manual but I tend to get shitty at them when it doesn't work, I'd rather assist someone who KNOWS what they're doing, naturally for a fee or simply pay em fair money to have it done, so it is done right and I can have it back in a few weeks, Not a year or two.

R1madness
13th May 2010, 10:22
Seems like older bikes are getting harder to find someone to fix them. Part of the problem is its getting harder to find the parts now. Even the manufacturers no longer have much left for older bikes. FJ1200s for example, there are no new headlights left. By a freshen up how far do you want to go? New pistons rings rebore bottom end bearings etc or just a quick hone and rings valve grind and new stem seals? or something in between? Give my man Roger a call at the shop 03 3829503 and have a chat to him. If you are going to do a full bike freshen up you could pull the engine out, crate it up and send it to us, we will do the work in a timely fashon and return it to you running great and without rapeing your wallet. We could even arrange to have all the parts into stock before you sent your motor just to speed things up.

caseye
13th May 2010, 19:37
Seems like older bikes are getting harder to find someone to fix them. Part of the problem is its getting harder to find the parts now. Even the manufacturers no longer have much left for older bikes. FJ1200s for example, there are no new headlights left. By a freshen up how far do you want to go? New pistons rings rebore bottom end bearings etc or just a quick hone and rings valve grind and new stem seals? or something in between? Give my man Roger a call at the shop 03 3829503 and have a chat to him. If you are going to do a full bike freshen up you could pull the engine out, crate it up and send it to us, we will do the work in a timely fashon and return it to you running great and without rapeing your wallet. We could even arrange to have all the parts into stock before you sent your motor just to speed things up.

I've banged off an email, many thanks for the information, ya never know, she could be heading south for the winter.

rok-the-boat
19th May 2010, 19:16
Make sure you get all the bits you need before you start - gaskets, piston rings, pistons if reboring, etc. Then, just pull it apart and take it as it comes.