PDA

View Full Version : "The Vixen" is home...

slofox
6th May 2010, 14:11
Ach. Mein. Gott. What. A. Bike...:love:

There is no overlap between an SV650S and a GSXR 600. They are from completely different planets. IMHO. (This after riding the gixxer for an hour you unnerstand...).

After a couple of days worth of delay for touch-up finishing on the old bike and a couple more for swapping over goodies to the new bike, I finally got "The Vixen" home today. Via the "scenic" route of course...:sunny:

Why "The Vixen"? Because of the way it went about seducing me into buying it without any money...decidedly underhand and full of feminine wiles. Truly the actions of a vixen of the worst (best!) sort...:shifty:

So wozzit like?

Bruddy fraburous so far. The way the thing sits on the road - so tight, so compact, so focussed. I took it through a couple of rough sealed corners that always chattered the SV a little. Not this girl. Smooth as silk all the way. And it asks to be pushed - it's always in your head "gwan gwan, you know ya wanna!" And I just have to obey. Never had a bike did that to me before...:blink:

Took a wee while to get used to that IL4 engine thing after the V2. They like to scream these little 4's, don't they. Sounds like it is red lining when it's barely rotating at all...but after a half hour or so it feels quite comfortable. Suddenly goes silky smooth at and above about 6k...power available from about 5k upwards but happier at 8 and really kicks your arse back in the seat at about 12...:shit:

Which leads me to wonder what the top three gears are for...I ran it up in 3rd gear - out on the back road away from the traffic - just to see what the upper rev range was about. Like I just said, power at 6, more at 8, afterburners light up at 12 or so. Hit 14k, thought I ought to check the speedo...first two digits were 1 and 8...didn't look to see the third - too busy shedding speed before the law enforcement officers arrived...:Police: Thought to myself, "Well, it sure accelerates quicker than the old SV did..."

Overall? Love it. Especially the way it sits on the road. Especially that. Will have to watch the speed thing and the rate at which it climbs into loony licence losing territory...:drool:

Anyone wanna run a stake on how long before I get kicked off the road? :Oops:

Edbear
6th May 2010, 14:15
Newbies take note! He's talking about a 600cc here! Anyone stepping up or returning to biking should understand the power and speed of a modern 600!

Nice bike, mate!

aprilia_RS250
6th May 2010, 14:16
Popped a wheelie on 'er yet?

Eyegasm
6th May 2010, 14:16
She sure has a purty smile there Slofox.

Obviously not as large as yours no doubt.

Congrats

slofox
6th May 2010, 14:29
Newbies take note! He's talking about a 600cc here! Anyone stepping up or returning to biking should understand the power and speed of a modern 600!

Nice bike, mate!

Thanks Edbear - I agree. Just as well I came to it via an SV...

Actually no, not yet. But I suspect it will happen all of its own accord real soon...

She sure has a purty smile there Slofox.

Obviously not as large as yours no doubt.

Congrats

It was pretty wide when I got home, true...:2thumbsup:D

Edbear
6th May 2010, 14:38
Thanks Edbear - I agree. Just as well I came to it via an SV...:D

I got back on an '89 GSX-F600, 40hp down and about 20kg heavier than your GSX-R yet I was comparing to my old T500 and XS750. I'd never experienced acceleration like it! Gave myself a fright while playing with an Audi one day! Could have been very bad...

george formby
6th May 2010, 14:49
Ah, you lucky man. That little voice of encouragement that comes with a bike is a beautiful thing, I've only heard it on one bike, italian, v- twin, sublime handling & speed. It was really, really hard to be sensible & i loved it. Have fun sir & don't get caught.

Bad Gixxer
6th May 2010, 14:52
Which leads me to wonder what the top three gears are for...I ran it up in 3rd gear - out on the back road away from the traffic - just to see what the upper rev range was about.

Those extra gears are only to improve your fuel consumption I think! My GSXR 'thou does 164klm/h (indicated) in 1st before the computer decides the tacho needle has gone far enough. (on the track of course :blink:)

That's one nice looking 600 you've got there, feed her well and buy her the odd present and she'll faithfully serve you!

Stirts
6th May 2010, 14:53
DAMN YOU ARE RIGHT ..... she is one sexy vixen!!! Congrats Mr Slofox.

Anyone wanna run a stake on how long before I get kicked off the road? :Oops:

The next time you ride her!

Bad Gixxer
6th May 2010, 15:02

Nice bike, mate!

That's good advice - there's even a whole lotta difference from a 650 twin to an IL4 of similar capacity. It's a whole different riding style. Suggest you defer trying the wheelie attempts until you've really got the hang of power delivery of the higher horsepower IL4 - lotsa vids on Youtube of new bikers looking decidedly unhappy with their bikes at the 1pm point, just before it goes straight to 3pm :sick: (EDIT: I should add that I've been there and done that - not pretty and effing embarrassing)

javawocky
6th May 2010, 15:03
Sexy Sexy Sexy. Now let us know when you are going to take her to Hamptondowns for a proper squirt!

madbikeboy
6th May 2010, 15:21
SloFox; good on you for getting a GSXR finally. You'll love it - the more you develop as a rider, the more you'll be amazed at how far the limits are.

wynw
6th May 2010, 15:57
looks great! all the best with it. Have you mounted the tpx on it yet?

slofox
6th May 2010, 16:18
looks great! all the best with it. Have you mounted the tpx on it yet?

Not yet - had to go to work as soon as I had it home. Will have to modify the stem mount a little to get a fit - narrower hole to fit into...should be on for tomorrow's ride. Might need it judging by today's ride...

Tunahunter
6th May 2010, 16:22
I hope you'll be very happy together!

ckai
6th May 2010, 16:29
Not yet - had to go to work as soon as I had it home. Will have to modify the stem mount a little to get a fit - narrower hole to fit into...should be on for tomorrow's ride. Might need it judging by today's ride...

Purdy purdy.

Glad you joined the Supersport clan mate. You'll feel right at home.

It's when you start making the "breeeeemmmmmm" noises inside your lid that you wanna slow down. That's generally when you're having so much fun you're above the "do you know what speed you were going, son?"

Bad Gixxer
6th May 2010, 16:29

Hey what size hole? 12mm? I've got a stem mount that fits my GSXR1000 K7 so sure it'll be the same - she's yours for a halfway decent offer. PM me if you're interested.

slofox
6th May 2010, 16:52
Hey what size hole? 12mm? I've got a stem mount that fits my GSXR1000 K7 so sure it'll be the same - she's yours for a halfway decent offer. PM me if you're interested.

I'll see how I go BG - it's only the compressible rubbery stuff that is a little broad - I am pretty sure I can make it work...

Looks like my paddock stand won't quite fit the swing arm though - appears to be about 10mm too narrow...ngngngrrrr. Again though, only had time for a cursory look...brute force and ignorance could save the day...

ukusa
6th May 2010, 17:00
That's good advice - there's even a whole lotta difference from a 650 twin to an IL4 of similar capacity. It's a whole different riding style. Suggest you defer trying the wheelie attempts until you've really got the hang of power delivery of the higher horsepower IL4 - lotsa vids on Youtube of new bikers looking decidedly unhappy with their bikes at the 1pm point, just before it goes straight to 3pm :sick: (EDIT: I should add that I've been there and done that - not pretty and effing embarrassing)

more power and he gets a drop in ACC levies too, bonus! :yes:

vifferman
6th May 2010, 17:25
Congratulations Mr Slofox, Sir! :niceone:
Now just make sure you keep it shiny side up!

crazyhorse
6th May 2010, 17:30
She was well worth the wait :whistle: It will take you a while to get used to the different gearing between the bikes. I used to jump between my bikes, and always cocked up the gears, as they are such different bikes to ride. But hey, why do you think I like the power the gsxr delivers - it's just soooooo different.

Well done :niceone: Love the pics too :hug:

slofox
6th May 2010, 17:45
She was well worth the wait :whistle: It will take you a while to get used to the different gearing between the bikes. I used to jump between my bikes, and always cocked up the gears, as they are such different bikes to ride. But hey, why do you think I like the power the gsxr delivers - it's just soooooo different.

Well done :niceone: Love the pics too :hug:

"You must ner ner ner..." Thanks anyway!

I thought the gearing was closer than on the SV to be honest - or maybe it's just the engine sound doesn't change as much...

Gearshift was smoother as well. Better unit I thought

Lurch
6th May 2010, 20:12
It was nice having you around slofox, who gets your stuff when, you know..?

Smifffy
6th May 2010, 20:58

So far he's only been poppin' chubbies, the ol' sugar daddy...

Congrats dude

pzkpfw
6th May 2010, 21:42
Looks like my paddock stand won't quite fit the swing arm though - appears to be about 10mm to narrow...ngngngrrrr. Again though, only had time for a cursory look...brute force and ignorance could save the day...

I bought a 2-pack of stands off trade me. The front one was just slightly too narrow.

(These: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-for-sale/Stands/auction-287877836.htm I didn't like the thorns for the front, so use an aluminium rod through the front axle and forks on the stand, like on the rear.)

Anyway, with some blocks of wood for "padding" I used a spare scissor jack to spread the thing a little wider. Left it like that (about 70 mm too wide) on the garge floor for a week and now it sits perfectly.

(Nice putting together of words, by the way. My bike has no "R" (in its' regular name) but also starts to make happy sounds over 6k RPM. Joy ensues.)

steel001
6th May 2010, 22:32
Nice bike mate congrats! Also picked up a GSXR 600 for a good price, I'm converted! Great bikes...with 100Km/h or there abouts out of first, what are the other gears for?? Seems to overheat a little in slow traffic anyone else have this problem?

Another thing I found, the faster you go the less it seems like you are wearing??

gale_wolf
6th May 2010, 22:50
OP, sweet bike :)

Nice bike mate congrats! Also picked up a GSXR 600 for a good price, I'm converted! Great bikes...with 100Km/h or there abouts out of first, what are the other gears for?? Seems to overheat a little in slow traffic anyone else have this problem?

My Gixxer-thou doesn't like slow traffic either, heats up pretty quickly. I commute on it too so mainly try to ride at off-peak times to avoid traffic congestion. I particularly hate the big slow-down south bound from Spaghetti Junction to Greenlane, all the roadworks have narrowed the lanes and trucks can be a bitch to get past with traffic almost at a stand-still between 4.30 and 6.30.

IdunBrokdItAgin
6th May 2010, 23:04
Congrats on the new bike - looks like the dogs lickable bits.

So did you transplant the stebels?

SPP
6th May 2010, 23:27
Real nice. They look even better in real life! Now saw off that rear plastic eh :)

davebullet
7th May 2010, 07:26
You've picked up a looker Slowfox!. I love burnt orange on bikes. I'm wondering whether I should become a traitor and step up to an IL4.

Do you find it's still a lazy ride like the SV? I do like chugging the SV around in the lower revs. Handy for commuting. My mate leaves me for dust on his R6 - but then again he is a much better rider too (swap bikes and he'd probably do the same).

Genie
7th May 2010, 07:33
Oh wow...i can see just how you have been seduced...surely is a very attractive, sleek,, sexy wee thing....You're in LOVE...how cute

You are goingn to have a wonderful relationship with this wee Vixen..(love the name).

dipshit
7th May 2010, 10:09
Do you find it's still a lazy ride like the SV? I do like chugging the SV around in the lower revs. Handy for commuting.

Speaking for myself... the K8 600 is very easy to ride quietly as well. The power delivery on it is very linear and predictable. If you want to take it easy then just keep it purring away between 5000 to 7000 rpm. When you want to go harder just let the needle start climbing higher and higher the harder and harder you want to go!

slofox
7th May 2010, 12:44
It was nice having you around slofox, who gets your stuff when, you know..?

I'm taking the bike WITH me mate...

So far he's only been poppin' chubbies, the ol' sugar daddy...

Congrats dude

I HAVE NOT!! (and thanks! :sunny:)

Yeah she gets warm round town. But so did the SV. Guess that's what the aux fan is for...

Congrats on the new bike - looks like the dogs lickable bits.

So did you transplant the stebels?

I got them swapped over by the shop, along with several other things, as part of the trade. The horns gave them a few problems I believe..."fuckin' stupid horns!" is the exact quote...hehehe

You've picked up a looker Slowfox!. I love burnt orange on bikes. I'm wondering whether I should become a traitor and step up to an IL4.

Do you find it's still a lazy ride like the SV? I do like chugging the SV around in the lower revs. Handy for commuting. My mate leaves me for dust on his R6 - but then again he is a much better rider too (swap bikes and he'd probably do the same).

Had my first round town experiences this morning (after the morning fang that is). Find it's OK if you keep the revs around 4k - or above about 5.5k. There's a resonance somewhere around 4.5k. I agree with dipshit here - there is plenty of midrange available - especially after coming from the SV. Course once you get above 6k the demons start to creep out of the woodwork...:devil2:

Interestingly enough, one of my first impressions of the GSXR compared to the SVS was that the gixxer felt shorter. It is actually. But only by about 90mm. But it sure is noticeable. I have found the gixxer much easier to manouvre at low speed. Whereas on the SVS I was a little hesitant on U-turns, the gixxer just putters round without question. Like I said in the OP, the two are from different planets - especially when it comes to handling. The smoother power delivery of the IL4 is also easier on some of the tight little corners leading to my house. Gentle throttle results in gentle application of power. The V2 tended to be lumpier in the same situation.

Just my initial impressions.

slofox
10th May 2010, 13:02
OK. So one weekend later...

No chance to ride Saturday - work etc and an early start.

Manky morning Sunday but eventually cleared a little so some riding on initially wet roads which eventually dried out.

Went gently on the wet but would have to say, the bike is pretty tractable in such conditions - easy enough to keep the power application smooooooth and progressive - much more so than the V2 engine. No hint of scrubbing out or anything untoward.

Once dry, pushed the corners a little more. What a pleasure to handle - so much more planted, so concise through the corners - so much easier to "point" through. And nary a hint of wobble even on the most scrubby roads. It feels like a body suit. Robert Taylor is right on the money when he talks about the relative merits of various suspension systems...

Out Ngahinepouri way to a mate's 900 metre, straight, sealed driveway to squeeze it up a little. Rev limiter kicked in in third at 212 on the clock. Not enough room for any more. Acceleration is crazy after an SVS...

Filled up with gas - measured about 15 - 16 km/l...not quite SV economy but then the power has to come from somewhere dunnit?

Have to go to d'Auckland tomorrow morning so will take bike if fine. Be interesting to compare a steady pootle's gas consumption with yesterday's fang...

rocketman1
10th May 2010, 21:15
Congratulations on your new purchase.
Its good to have another GSXR rider on the planet.
Great bikes.
Its amazing how well those little 600cc bikes go.
Control the urge...Quickfox

slofox
11th May 2010, 13:56
Congratulations on your new purchase.
Its good to have another GSXR rider on the planet.
Great bikes.
Its amazing how well those little 600cc bikes go.
Control the urge...Quickfox

My cage plate is "slofox"

I wanted "qkstp" for the bike...until I saw the price...

Swoop
11th May 2010, 14:03
What tyres is she wearing at the moment??

javawocky
11th May 2010, 14:39
Weren't you heading to The Big Smoke today? Haven't see a ride report yet :whistle:

slofox
11th May 2010, 14:58
What tyres is she wearing at the moment??

BT 016's

Weren't you heading to The Big Smoke today? Haven't see a ride report yet :whistle:

Nah - got me days back to front dinn I. Going tomorrow now...

MsKABC
15th May 2010, 09:14
You have seen the light, it seems! Congratulations and good for you!

Your experience sounds very much like my own in going from an old 400 v-twin to my current ride, the 3/4 version of your bike. (It was meant to be just the pint, and it was outside my budget, but the bloody thing seduced me into taking a test ride and it was all over from the moment that huge smile broke across my face!)

Recently I had a Gladius as a loan bike - a brand new, 650 v-twin. I took it back and he said "What did you think?" I said, "It needs lower bars, louder pipes, better brakes and about 30 more horses..." He says, "So it needs to be a gixxer then?" :lol:

I find my bike so extremely flattering to ride, extremely stable and honest.....and sexy as hell! :drool: