PDA

View Full Version : 2004 YZFR6

James Deuce
22nd May 2005, 17:33
Motoracer did a fantastic job of writing up Firefight's R6 for Bob's (http://www.motobke.co.uk/) website, so I'm not going to repeat a full review.

However I did want to make some points of my own so here goes.

Bloody hell. In my day, 600s were the friendly puppy of the sportsbike world, licking your face for approval and mounting your leg when you got it right. They had comfortable pillion accomodation, conservative ergonomics, and they weren't that much dearer than a high performance 250cc motorcycle.

Time marches on. The R6 reminds me of my RC30 more than any other bike I've tried in the intervening years. On paper it's specifications are scarily similar, apart from (thank goodness) not being cursed by an 18" rear wheel. The R6's ergonomics are quite a bit more aggressive than the RC's were with the legs tucked up a bit more and the reach to the bars both longer and lower.

Once I'd got it to the point of the run in process where I felt happy using the WINJA mode of run-in (GIVE IT DEATH) the acceleration up to 10k rpm had that nice linear feel that is reminiscent of the RC, then it goes bonkers twice before it hits redline at 15,500rpm, each step giving a nice top-end, on the cam, two-stroke power band, type of kick. The RC used to be very linear in the way it produced power until it hit 11,000rpm and then it would do the fast forward, tunnel vision thing.

The suspension out of the box is set up quite well, giving a comfortable compliant ride with good initial turn-in, but a little understeer on corner exit that is quite easy to turn into flappy bars when you try to add more power. Firefight and I are a similar age, but one of us is fit and healthy, and the other has eaten too many pies. Methinks that may well be where the understeer and inadvertent wheelies were coming from.

I spent a couple of hours applying suspension settings extracted from AMCN's special Sportsbike supplemental issue. These settings were developed by Jeffrey de Vries, ex-racer, and now Ohlin's European suspension guru. These settings were used at last year's "Masterbike" shootout, an International event held to allow motorcycle journalists to compare 600cc through open class big 'bikes like ZX12Rs, to see what consituted the best all-round sportsbike available. The 'bikes are judged on all sorts of criteria and the competition is usually won by GSXR750s and ZX636s, rather than the bike with the highest top speed.

With the settings I applied, the 2004 R6 was touted as the best setup 'bike at the 2004 Masterbike event, so I was really looking forward to testing them. Not to make too fine a point, despite only having donw 1400kms since I bought the R6, I have had the pleasure of buying not one, but two bikes! I've never made suspension changes that made such a profound effect on a motorcycle's handling character. I though it was good before. It is simply stunning now.

Motorway ride is much better. It glides over those little bumps and corrugations at speed with out troubling one's lower spine, and it tunrs far more precisely. Getting back on the gas a lot sooner is another benefit as the signals from the rear tyre are teleported directly to one's nether regions. At slow speed and over some of the worse indignities that are inflicted on our suburban roads it can be a little harsh, but the trade off is that fantastic, "I forgot there was a bike under me" feeling that you get from a truly well set up 'bike. I haven't experienced that since the RC30, and at $13,995 new, the R6 is $4k cheaper than the RC when I bought it with 6000kms on the clock in 1991. The R6 is truly a better all-round motorcycle the the RC too, with much bigger gaps between services and valve adjustments, a pillion seat, fantastic fuel injection, and lots of cockpit "bling".

(If anyone with an '03/'04 R6 wants the settings, PM me)

Sensei
22nd May 2005, 17:39
Great news JIM2 :ride: :niceone:

StoneChucker
22nd May 2005, 19:40
Great stuff, but has that site got settings for the R1. Your story has sort of inspired me to set my bike up! I hope I get the same improvement you talk of, as I need it in those downhill righthanders I've been moaning about ;)

Hitcher
22nd May 2005, 20:03
I take it you like it then?

It's still red. And lovely...

2_SL0
22nd May 2005, 20:50
Nice write up, nice bike.

Mooch
22nd May 2005, 23:15
Good review Jim2. Still happy with those 208's ?. Would you change them or get the same again ?.

James Deuce
22nd May 2005, 23:29
Good review Jim2. Still happy with those 208's ?. Would you change them or get the same again ?.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that the 208s are an OEM fitment specifically for the R6, judging from the numbers on the tyre. If I can get the same exact model again I would be well pleased, as they are superb wet or dry, and they need very little provocation to warm up.

Biff
23rd May 2005, 17:08
As ever, well written and useful.
Now that's all the arse licking you'll get from me. :D

2_SL0
23rd May 2005, 18:39
The tyres in theory are a listed part from Yamaha, they are a specific tyre for that bike. Its common practise to do so. Both my FZ6 and 636 have their own version. However whether they are much diff I dunno.

James Deuce
23rd May 2005, 18:46
Typically OEm tyres are a lighter construction and a softer compound, and aren't available for general consumption. Which is a shame, but gives me the opportunity to try other brands, so it isn't all bad.

2_SL0
24th May 2005, 12:36
They are listed as a stock item so you can order the part, from a Yamaha dealer, but they would likely go on back order.

Hitcher
24th May 2005, 12:54
They are listed as a stock item so you can order the part, from a Yamaha dealer, but they would likely go on back order.
"Back order" generally means "Slow camel train from Osaka".

White trash
26th May 2005, 11:35
"Back order" generally means "Slow camel train from Osaka".

If you're unlucky enough to ride a Honda.....