PDA

View Full Version : Getting race fit!!!

chic 'n' charge
15th November 2003, 13:52
Hi, does anyone have any tips on getting race fit after injury?
I broke my ankle last November and have been limited to what I can do but I've not Nationals coming up and I really need to get fit quick. Any suggestions? I have just bought new mountain bike so I'll do that probably about once a week. Then I don't know what to do!!. And also - wot do racers eat and drink on race day to keep up energy all day?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

bluninja
15th November 2003, 14:06
Errr....getting fit....no haven't got a clue:D Broken ankle last november and still not right? Not nice (been there, done that but not on a bike). If you are really serious about getting fit for the nationals I'd recommend finding a good personal trainer, someone with experience of rehabilitation. Get them to set you a specific program and keep you to it.

BTW hi and welcome to the site. Will perhaps see you at the nationals if you come up to Aukland in Dec. Guess I'll be spectating as I'm not fast enough for the nationals.

TTFN

Kiwi
15th November 2003, 14:41
Hi

try a sport physiotherapy - I know a very good one, but in AKL :o

Kiwi

chic 'n' charge
15th November 2003, 19:59
Bluninja: I wont be running in North Island unfortunately - I'm not that fast either and it's pretty expensive plus time off work is bit rough over that time of year. I will be going to watch at Wanganui at Xmas though. You go that far to watch??

Andrew
15th November 2003, 20:26
Easy, leg over bike and practise practise practise.

130wide
15th November 2003, 22:04
Get a dirt bike and ride that for training, that's what most of the top road riders use. Migth be a bit expensive but is worth the money, time and effort.

Kickaha
16th November 2003, 08:11
Originally posted by 130wide
Get a dirt bike and ride that for training, that's what most of the top road riders use. Migth be a bit expensive but is worth the money, time and effort.

See its on the net it must be true,now you'll have to come out trail riding with us.

Yarg
16th November 2003, 14:11
Hire a rowing maching for 6 weeks & work at it every day.

Dave
16th November 2003, 15:34
Motorcross bike is one of the best if you can afford to be on it twicw a week, although a bit too harsh if your coming back from injury,Cycling is very very good because it will strengthen without shocking the joint.
Drink plenty of water/glucose. and eat salads,filled rolls,etc.
a big carbo meal the night before-ie pasta.
Don't drink coke,mizone,"energy" drinks-they make you worse.
Drink water or the sachets of horleys replace are also good.
Also a friend of mine is the doctor for the warriors and he has suggested a mouthfull of jellybeans before you go out for each race-the suger hit gets you amping.
I have been doing this this year and found it a big help.

SILVER SUZI
20th November 2003, 12:04
Food to keep you going during the day.

Isn't that called ADRENALIN?

The mountain bike sounds like a good idea. I'm not racing (not no a track anyway) but am trying to keep up/improve fitness by cycling (road bike), and I'm no expert but those who should know tell me you only start benifiting after 20 minutes, so make your rides long and as for motorbiking look out for (blind) wankers in cages.
All the best with recovery and racing.:rockon: